How Students Benefit from Parent Involvement
Name: _______________________________________________ Date: _____________
School District: ________________________________ Campus: __________________
In order to receive staff development credit participants need to do the following:
1. Read the power point and listen to the narration of the slides.
2. Answer the questions on this form. This can be typed in or written in by hand.
3. Complete the planning activity on the form that is included with this CD. This
planning activity can be done individually or as a campus or group. It is okay for
several teachers from the same campus to turn in the same form.
4. Questions and activity form must be emailed or faxed to Randy Deming at
email@example.com Fax # 325 675 8659
1. Why is it important that staff be trained annually on the benefits of parent
2. What is the intent and purpose of Title I?
3. What is a school wide campus? What is a targeted assistance campus?
4. Do parents and staff know that your campus is a Title I school wide campus?
5. What book is this training based on? Do you have a copy that is available to you
and other staff members at your campus?
6. Parent involvement is defined by NCLB as participation of parents in
______________, two-way, ________________ _____________________
involving student academic learning and other school activities. What does this
mean for you and your campus?
7. What are some research findings that show the benefits of parent involvement?
(List at least 5 that you consider to be important.)
8. Why is it important to increase the levels of parent involvement at the secondary
9. How can parent involvement improve community relations and the public’s
perception of your school?
10. What are the 6 types of parent involvement?
11. Why is it important to make positive contact with parents at the start of the school
12. Why is it important to help parents to develop parenting skills?
13. What do teachers want parents to do in order to help students achieve more?
14. How can volunteers help out at school? Why is their participation important?
15. Why do parents need a voice in the school system?
16. Have parents helped in the development and annual review of your Parent
17. What are some things that need to be included in the Parent Involvement Policy?
(See handout on the CD)
18. What are some ways that we can increase collaboration among community
19. What are some things that Parents wish teachers would do? (List 4-5)
20. What are some things to consider when planning for a parent meeting?
Planning for Parent Involvement Activity
Date Plan Developed: _____________________________
Date Reviewed by Parents: ___________________________
Activity Type Person Date of Documentation
Staff Training School Principal May 1, 2009 Certificates and
Decision handouts on file
Making with PIES
Communicating Principal September Signed copies
School- Parent 15,2008 on file
Sign in sheets
Review Parent with person’s
Involvement role, Agenda,
Policy and PI Minutes
Activity Type Person Date Documentation