Docstoc

MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS SCHOOL

Document Sample
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS SCHOOL Powered By Docstoc
					             MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
                  SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 4J, LANE COUNTY, OREGON

                                        November 1, 2006


Meeting Convened

The Board of Directors of School District No. 4J, Lane County, Eugene, Oregon, held an
Executive Session at 6 p.m. and a regular meeting at 7 p.m. on November 1, 2006, at the
Education Center, 200 North Monroe Street, Eugene, Oregon. Notice of the meeting was
mailed to the media and posted in Education Center on October 27, 2006, and published in The
Register-Guard on October 30, 2006.

ROLL CALL

BOARD MEMBERS:
Tom Herrmann, Chair
Eric Forrest
Beth Gerot
Craig Smith
Yvette Webber-Davis

STAFF:
George Russell, Superintendent of Schools and district Clerk
Barbara Bellamy, Director, Communications and Intergovernmental Relations
Wally Bryant, Director of Human Resources
Ted Heid, Director of Labor Relations
Tom Henry, Assistant Superintendent – Instructional Services & School Services K-8
Hillary Kittleson, Director of Financial Services

EXECUTIVE SESSION: Under provisions of ORS 192.610 – 192.690, Open Meeting Laws, the
Board of Directors will conduct an Executive Session for the following purpose:

To conduct deliberations with persons designated by the governing body to carry on labor
negotiations, pursuant to ORS 192.660 (1) (d)

REGULAR MEETING: The Executive Session recessed and the regular meeting convened
with the above board members and staff present (except Wally Bryant and Ted Heid, who
excused themselves) along with the following:

STAFF:
Jon Lauch, Assistant Director of Facilities Management
Susan Fahey, Operations and Reporting Manager
Caroline Passerotti, Financial Analyst

STUDENT ADVISORY PANEL MEMBERS:
Joseph Dombrosky, Churchill High School
Steven Brantley, IHS, All Campuses
Antonio Salgado, North Eugene High School
Caitlin Monroe, South Eugene High School


Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                         1
MEDIA:
Frank Nearing, KLCC

CALL TO ORDER, ROLL CALL, AND FLAG SALUTE

Board Chair Tom Herrmann called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. and led the salute to the flag.
He noted that board members Charles Martinez and Anette Spickard were absent.

AGENDA REVIEW

Superintendent Russell said that Sharon Shuman, an applicant for the Budget Committee, had
requested that she be allowed to speak early in the meeting as she had another commitment at
7:30 p.m. The board agreed to the request.

Ms. Shuman made a statement to the board about her interest in serving on the Budget
Committee.

INTRODUCTION OF GUESTS AND SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT

Superintendent Russell welcomed the guests at the meeting.

Superintendent Russell referred to an e-mail from Bobby Lee of the Hynix Corporation, which
showed a picture of school board members who accepted his invitation to tour the Hynix
Facility. Superintendent Russell said that Mr. Lee talked about the interest that Hynix had in
supporting the educational system and about the some of the diverse needs for their students,
particularly children of the Korean Nationals who move to Eugene for several years. He said
that it was a very good visit and tour and that the district expected to establish an ongoing
partnership with Hynix and other businesses.

Board Member Craig Smith asked if Mr. Lee talked about the readiness of the students that
were hired. Superintendent Russell said that the desire to have students graduate with higher
reading and math skills was expressed. He said that while Hynix thought that the quality of the
students was high, it would like to see more work place readiness skills, such as coming to work
on time and human relationship skills. He said that these were more important than technical
skills. Superintendent Russell said that Mr. Lee was interested in a growing relationship with
the district.

COMMENTS BY STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES

Joseph Dombrosky, Churchill High School, said that Homecoming had gone well and that
Churchill had won its homecoming game. He said that over 700 students attended the
homecoming dance. Mr. Dombrosky said that last week the Executive Leadership Council had
visited all the classrooms to present a new safe alliance agreement and had asked for
interested students to sign the agreement. He said that the overall response was very good and
that over half of the student body returned signed agreements. Mr. Dombrosky explained that
Churchill had an Executive Leadership Council made up of elected representatives and a larger
leadership group made up of people who were interested and applied. He said that the idea of
organizing the larger group into smaller committees had been approved and would be
implemented November 2.




Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                           2
Caitlin Monroe, South Eugene High School, reported that over 50 people gave blood during the
blood drive held on Halloween. She said that the student government was beginning its budget
cycle and was hearing requests from different school clubs. She said that the Associated
Student Body was beginning to organize different community events such as a charity arts sale,
a fashion show, and a food drive.

Steven Brantley, IHS, All Campuses, reported that the Penny War had ended. He said that
there had been competition between campuses and all grade levels. He said that the Penny
War raised $643.29, which was an increase from the amount raised last year. He said that all of
the money went to the Heiffer Project.

Antonio Salgado, North Eugene High School, said that North’s homecoming events went well
and that the dance had been very well attended. He reported that North had a two-hour lock-
down on October 30. Mr. Salgado said that the Key Club was beginning a fund raiser for
UNICEF.

COMMENTS BY EMPLOYEE GROUPS

Merri Steele, Co-President of the Eugene Education Association (EEA), reported that the EEA
was pleased with how its Mentor Program was going. She said that an academy for teachers
new to 4J School District and one for teachers with more than one year of experience had been
held. She said that the program would be extended through five seminars on different topics.
The first seminar was on behavior techniques and the second seminar was on English
Language Learners. She said that the rest of the seminar topics were: personality styles,
cultural competence, and professional issues. Ms. Steele said that Dr. Martinez would lead the
seminar on cultural competence and that representatives from three different universities would
lead the seminar on professional issues.

Ms. Steele said that the EEA was holding four seminars for the many new special education
teachers. The topics were: conducting IEP meetings, how to write an IEP, working with teams,
and working with regular curriculum. She said that these had been very well attended and that
topics for future seminars were being discussed.

Ms. Steele said that so far three diversity trainings had been scheduled for the Cadre.

Ms. Steele said that the EEA had been working hard to defeat ballot measures 41 and 48. She
said that EEA members had been phone banking. She invited board members to help make
phone calls.

Ms. Steels said that she and Paul Duchin, EEA Co-President, were participating in and
encouraging other EEA members to participate in the bone marrow drive for Jen Smith.

ITEMS FOR INFORMATION

Receive a Report from MSAN Students

Sam Tupou, High School Curriculum Coordinator, said that eight students from 4J high schools
attended and participated in this year's Minority Student Achievement Network's Conference
(MSAN) held in Green Bay, Wisconsin. He introduced Cindy Sainz, Churchill High School
Assistant Principal, and Tia Dube, a counselor at Sheldon High School to begin the
presentation. Each student who attended the conference introduced themselves and then told
the board one thing that stood out for them about the conference. The following students

Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                            3
participated at the MSAN Conference: Josh Jackson, Alma Guillen, Macque Linder, Blake
Poole, Louis Serrano, Brandon, Marquise, and Joel Iboa. The students talked about issues
such as the importance of education, knowing that others have experienced similar hardships
and challenges, taking action to make change, being aware of opportunities, cultural
competency, media and stereotypes, the difference between tolerance and acceptance,
opportunities for furthering one’s education at college, keeping the message going, teaching
others, the importance of relationships, and ways to combat racism. The students gave a short
Power Point presentation of highlights of the conference to the board. During the 2006-2007
school year they would be working with students who participated in MSAN in previous years,
along with teachers and administrators who were involved in MSAN, to plan and implement
strategies for closing the achievement gap for minority students.

Superintendent Russell thanked the students for representing 4J School District so well and
congratulated them for a successful conference.

Board Member Beth Gerot reported that the annual MSAN Conference would be held in Eugene
in June, 2007. She said that the planning committee would really like to engage students in that
planning.

Board Member Craig Smith asked what the students were doing in their schools to pass on the
messages they got at the conference. One of the students said that until the group met to plan
some actions, he was being more aware of what was going on around him, for example,
noticing when racial slurs were being used and accepted as OK. A student from Churchill said
that she was helping to revitalize the Latino Student Union group and was trying to start a
program for Latina Women. Ms. Sainz said that a meeting was scheduled for the MSAN
participants from 2005 and 2006.

Board Member Yvette Webber-Davis asked the students what impact the conference had on
their personal life goals or aspirations. Students made the following comments:

•   People assume what race someone is by appearance without asking that person
•   The college fair opened up possibilities colleges and scholarships
•   A college admission’s officer gave advice on how the system worked and advice on the
    application process
•   A video showing how students of color were treated at Green Bay High School
•   Taking steps to be more of a leader at school
•   Stay positive and good things will happen
•   More hope about going to college – inspired to get local college students of color to talk at
    high school
•   Minority students are not supposed to be statistics
•   Take action, don’t just talk

Mr. Herrmann thanked the students for their presentation. These students would return to the
board near the end of the year to report on their activities and accomplishments.

ITEMS FOR ACTION AT THIS MEETING

Appoint Budget Committee Members and Set the Date for the First Budget Committee
Meeting

On June 30, 2006, the terms of District 4J Budget Committee members Janet Calvert (three
years) and Debbie Roberts (one year) expired. These two openings were published in the

Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                              4
Register-Guard and on the 4J web site. Former applicants to the board and budget committee
as well as members of 4J citizen committees were also notified. Applications were available on-
line as well as from the district office. The application deadline was October 26, 2006, at 5:00
p.m. A list of candidates for the two positions and copies of each of their applications were
provided in the board packet.

Candidates were in attendance and were invited to make brief presentations explaining their
interest in and qualifications for serving on the budget committee. The following applicants
spoke: Janet Calvert, Wendy Laing, Tom Lininger, Milo Mecham, Debbie Joy Roberts, Mark
Schoening, and Tamara Torrence.

Superintendent Russell recommended appointment of two electors to fill the vacancies on the
budget committee: two full-term (July 1, 2006 – June 30, 2009) positions. The superintendent
further recommended setting the date for the first budget committee meeting as Monday,
December 11, 2006.

The board selected the budget committee members by open ballot. Barbara Bellamy, Director,
Communications and Intergovernmental Relations, explained the voting process. She said that
each board member would have two votes and that it would take the support of a majority of
board members present to be elected.

The results of the first ballot were:

Dr. Webber-Davis voted for Wendy Laing and Tom Lininger.
Mr. Smith voted for Janet Calvert and Milo Meacham.
Mr. Herrmann voted for Wendy Laing and Tom Lininger.
Ms. Gerot voted for Janet Calvert and Milo Meacham.
Board Member Eric Forrest voted for Wendy Laing and Debbie Joy Roberts.

Wendy Laing was elected on the first ballot.

For the second ballot members voted for only one applicant. The results of the second ballot
were:

Dr. Webber-Davis voted for Milo Meacham.
Mr. Smith voted for Janet Calvert.
Mr. Herrmann voted for Tom Lininger.
Ms. Gerot voted for Janet Calvert.
Mr. Forrest voted for Tom Lininger.

There was no majority.

The results of the third ballot were:

Dr. Webber-Davis voted for Tom Lininger.
Mr. Smith voted for Janet Calvert.
Mr. Herrmann voted for Tom Lininger.
Ms. Gerot voted for Janet Calvert.
Mr. Forrest voted for Tom Lininger.

Tom Lininger was elected to the Budget Committee.


Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                           5
Approve Process in Attempt to Remove Deed Restriction for Bailey Hill Elementary
School Property

Jon Lauch, Assistant Director of Facilities Management, provided the following brief summary:
Bailey Hill Elementary School was closed in June 2001 at the end of the 2000-2001 school year.
The board classified the property as surplus in October 2002. The surplus designation was
reviewed and upheld in March 2005.

The property consisted of three separate tax lots totaling approximately 6 acres. One of the
parcels, which was less than one acre in size, was conveyed to the district in 1889 (then School
District No. 7) and had a deed restriction in the form of a reversion clause that stated:

“This conveyance of this land is made to said district for the purpose of allowing said district to
use the same for a site for a school house of said district and if said district should at any time
cease to use said land for said purpose that the same shall revert back to the said Matthew
Wallis his heirs and assigns.”

A site drawing of the property was included in the October 18 board packet showing the
individual parcels. The subject parcel was sandwiched between the two other parcels and a
significant portion of the building improvements resided on the subject parcel and crossed over
the joint property lines. Under a potential sale, the district would likely market the property with
the buildings intact. In this scenario, it was difficult to estimate the value of the individual
parcels. The highest and best use was considered to be low density residential (single family
dwellings). It was believed that this scenario would generate the highest value for the land. In
this case, the buildings would need to be removed in order to provide development-ready,
vacant land.

The district’s real property consultant estimated the current market value of the subject parcel at
approximately $150,000 based on vacant land with low density residential zoning (the property
was currently zoned Public Land (PL) and was designated Low Density Residential (R-1) in the
Metro Plan). Based on recent demolition project costs, staff estimated the cost to remove the
structures that resided on the subject parcel at approximately $110,000. This equated to a net
value of $40,000. It was proposed that $40,000 be offered to the remaining heirs in exchange
for a release/waiver of rights to the reversion clause in the deed. As a point of clarification,
there was no demolition currently under consideration. This was simply an exercise to arrive a
reasonable value for the parcel.

The district’s legal counsel coordinated an exhaustive investigation in order to determine the
status and available contact information for the remaining heirs. At last count, there were 24
known heirs identified at various percentage interest in the potential reverter claim. Legal
counsel prepared a draft letter to the heirs explaining the situation, requesting release/waiver of
rights under the reversion clause, and offering to pay $40,000 in exchange, to be distributed
according to position within the lineage. No funds would be paid to any one potential claimant
until all such claimants agreed to the release/waiver of claims. A copy of the draft letter was
included in the board packet along with a draft Declaratory Relief Complaint, which might be
filed in Circuit Court after sufficient time had passed for the known heirs to respond. A copy of
the draft Complaint would be included with the letter to heirs to let them know how serious the
district was with regard to resolving the issue.

Mr. Lauch summarized a few possibilities with the property settlement:


Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                                6
•   That all the heirs would agree to the settlement and release
•   That some of the heirs would try to negotiate for additional money at which point a request
    for additional flexibility might be made to the board
•   To enter into an agreement with the heirs in which they would share in the proceeds of an
    eventual sale
•   To remove all the buildings, sell the parcels to which the district had clear title and move
    forward on the other parcel at a later date

Mr. Lauch said that he thought that the proposal before the board was the best place to start.
He added that based on other properties that the district had sold, the price for the Bailey Hill
Elementary School Property with the buildings would be about $600,000. He said that if the
land was vacant the value of the land as one contiguous parcel would probably be about
$900,000.

Mr. Smith clarified that another purview would be to continue the property’s use for educational
purposes. Mr. Lauch said that Joe Richards, the district’s Attorney, said that in the current
circumstance, the heirs did not have the right to exercise their rights under the reverter and that
the current use would fulfill the district’s obligation.

Mr. Forrest asked how much it would cost to demolish the entire building. Mr. Lauch estimated
the cost at somewhere under $300,000. Mr. Forrest noted that the cost of the demolition would
be very close to the extra amount the district would make if the property was vacant. Mr. Lauch
said that it was all estimates at this point.

Superintendent Russell recommended approval of the process described above in attempt to
clear the title (remove the deed restriction) for this portion of the Bailey Hill Elementary School
property, and that $40,000 be offered to the remaining heirs in exchange for a release/waiver of
rights to the reversion clause in the deed.

MOTION: Eric Forrest, seconded by Craig Smith, moved approval of the process described
above in attempt to clear the title (remove the deed restriction) for this portion of the Bailey Hill
Elementary School property, and that $40,000 be offered to the remaining heirs in exchange for
a release/waiver of rights to the reversion clause in the deed.

VOTE: All members present voted yes, 5:0.

CONSENT GROUP - ITEMS FOR ACTION

MOTION: Beth Gerot, seconded by Craig Smith, moved to approve the Consent Group.

VOTE: All members present voted yes, 5:0.

Approve Board Meeting Minutes

Superintendent Russell recommended approval of the board meeting minutes of the regular
meetings held August 16, 2006 and September 6, 2006.




Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                                7
Approve Personnel Items

Superintendent Russell recommended approval of the personnel items included in the packet.
These covered employment, resignations, and other routine personnel matters. (see attached)

ITEMS FOR ACTION AT A FUTURE MEETING

Adopt the 2007 Legislative Position Paper

Barbara Bellamy, Director of Communications and Intergovernmental Relations, presented the
draft legislative position paper for 2007, which was included in the board packet. She said that
following discussion and direction at the October 4 board meeting, she met with board members
Beth Gerot and Craig Smith to review the proposals for strengthening K-12 education that
recently emerged from the Senate Commission on Educational Excellence and other
organizations and to discuss how the board might respond through its 2007 position paper.

Ms. Bellamy noted the following additions to the draft:

School Finance

•   Provide funding in the 2007-09 biennium that makes significant progress towards the
    funding level described in the Quality Education Model by closing the funding gap by at lest
    20 percent;
•   Invest in early childhood education by funding full-day kindergarten in all school districts on
    a voluntary basis and increasing funding for the Head Start Program to make it available to
    all children who qualify;
•   Reform the state tax structure to reduce the volatility of Oregon’s current tax system and
    raise the revenue necessary to provide K-12 school funding adequacy as defined by the
    Quality Education Model and to assist school districts with capital costs.

Instruction

•   Avoid legislatively imposed curriculum, such as specific course or subject of instruction
    mandates;
•   Support the Oregon Department of Education programs and services that provide a
    research-based direct benefit to school districts;

Dr. Webber-Davis and Mr. Smith asked for an explanation of the phrase “that provide a
research-based direct benefit to schools.” Tom Henry, Assistant Superintendent – Instructional
Services & School Services K-8, said that the intent of the bulleted item was to have the Oregon
Department of Education (ODE) to continue to have staff and provide services to district that
point out what research-based practices were. Ms. Gerot suggested clarifying the language as
followed:

•   support the Oregon Department of Education research-based programs and services that
    provide a direct benefit to school districts;

Ms. Gerot noted that 4J was already using researched-based programs and that this was giving
4J’s support to other districts around the state that relied heavily on the ODE for research-based
programs and services.



Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                               8
Mr. Herrmann clarified with Mr. Smith that the bullet that recommended closing the funding level
gap described in the Quality Education Model by 20 percent was an attempt at a reasonable
goal. Superintendent Russell noted that at this rate it would take 10 years to totally close the
gap.

Ms. Bellamy referred members to a shorter list of priorities and messages that was included in
the red folders. She said that she, Ms. Gerot, and Mr. Smith worked with her on the list which
listed the following priorities:

•   strengthen school funding
•   investing in all-day kindergarten, expanding Head Start
•   investing in teacher mentoring and professional development

Ms. Bellamy said that there were also some talking points about accountability on the draft list.
She said that while the board would not approve the shorter list, as it would the legislative
position paper, it would be helpful to know that board members were in agreement with the
shorter list.

Set Date for Budget Committee Meeting

Mr. Herrmann asked the board to return to Items for Action at This Meeting in order to set a date
for the first Budget Committee meeting.

MOTION: Craig Smith, seconded by Eric Forrest, moved to set the date for the first budget
committee meeting as Monday, December 11, 2006.

VOTE: All members present voted yes, 5:0.

COMMENTS AND COMMITTEE REPORTS BY INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBERS

Mr. Smith said that he would provide the board with a copy of the Oregon Business
Association’s legislation position paper once it had been finalized.

Mr. Forrest said that he had the opportunity to have two elementary school conferences that day
and that he was continually impressed with the professionalism and organization of 4J
educators.

Ms. Gerot gave an update on the MSAN Conference that would be held in Eugene beginning
June 24. She said that a board assembly component had been approved by the governing
board of MSAN which had provided limited resources for a facilitator. She said that Bob
Marzano would be the key note speaker for the pre-conference at 9 a.m. The school board
assembly would begin at 3 p.m. and there would be a dinner with school board members and
superintendents. She said that a key note speaker would be invited for the dinner.

Ms. Gerot said that the rest of the MSAN Conference would be on June 25 and 26. The themes
of the conference that would run through the bread-out sessions were:

•   Equity and Access
•   Student/Teacher Relationships
•   Literacy and Math



Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                             9
Ms. Gerot said that the key note speakers were incredible and were: Beverly Tatum, Padre
Nagero, Renee Rodrigous, and Brooke Haycock. She said that students’ voices would also be
woven into the conference.

Ms. Gerot said that the Shaping 4J’s Future Committee met and that focus groups would be
starting on November 14. She said that she would forward the output from those groups to the
board members as soon as it was available.

Ms. Gerot said that she attended the Technology Open House at Howard Elementary School.
She said that what the students were doing was just amazing. She described how engaged the
kindergarten students were with the technology and noted that there had been tremendous
increases in reading scores in the kindergarten class. Ms. Gerot said that this was an example
of where some of the district’s academy dollars were going.


ADJOURN

Mr. Herrmann adjourned the meeting at 8:40 p.m.



_____________________________                      _____________________________
George Russell                                     Tom Herrmann
District Clerk                                     Board Chair


(Recorded by Elise Self)
m:\2006\4j school district\school board\06-11-01 bd minutes.doc




Minutes – Board of Directors –November 1, 2006                                        10

				
DOCUMENT INFO