Paralegal Legal Writing
Permit No. 26
Studies for Paralegals and
Paralegal Certificate Program Legal Assistants
Studies Eight weekends • Jan. 30-May 2, 2010 Six evening sessions • Feb. 22-March 11, 2010
Since 1992, the Paralegal Studies Certificate Program at Continue to build your career with this in-depth legal writing
Certificate Program the University of Nevada, Reno has offered an intensive program. Taught by Sparks Municipal Court Judge Jim Spoo,
yet condensed practical introduction to the paralegal field, Legal Writing for Paralegals and Legal Assistants develops
Eight weekends • Jan. 30-May 2, 2010
providing a noncredit educational experience of the highest and refines the high-demand writing skills necessary to
caliber in a convenient weekend format. The program is succeed in the rapidly growing paralegal field. Course
dedicated strictly to those relevant subjects integral to sessions focus on creating clear, complete and well-written
riting success in the highly competitive paralegal field and offers
the tools essential to advancement with training in high-
demand areas of law. Sessions will include case analysis, the
documents including letters, interoffice memos and client
memos using the correct style, organization and content.
for Paralegals and Memo preparation will include document review and
Nevada legal system, legal research, legal writing and more. description, substantive legal documents, pleadings and
Legal Assistants Taught by Washoe County Second Judicial District Probate evidence. Additional course topics include file histories
Six evening sessions • Feb. 22-March 11, 2010 Commissioner Linda A. Bowman and Sparks Municipal and research results as they pertain to statutory, case
Court Judge Jim Spoo — both with extensive experience in law, legislative history and civil and criminal rules. Next-
Nevada’s state and federal courts — the program provides step memos including discovery, hearing preparation,
students with the skills to accurately identify legal issues, forthcoming briefs and meetings also will be covered.
research relevant law and apply the law to factual situations. Participants will practice writing basic pleadings and learn
Writing skills are developed in a highly effective practice- document preparation. The course concludes with an
oriented approach from initial demand letter through ethics review.
motion and pleading exercises. Students will complete a When: Feb. 22-March 11, 2010; Monday and Thursday
small portfolio of writing samples. evenings, 6-9 p.m.
When: Jan. 30-May 2, 2010; select Saturdays and Where: University of Nevada, Reno, Redfield Campus,
Six evening sessions • Feb. 22-March 11, 2010
Choose from two Paralegal Studies programs in Spring 2010!
Sundays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. 18600 Wedge Parkway, Reno
for Paralegals and
Where: University of Nevada, Reno, Redfield Campus, Fee: $425, includes textbook, all instructional
Computer Lab, 18600 Wedge Parkway, Reno materials, refreshment breaks and parking.
FREE Paralegal Studies and Legal Writing Information Session
Attend a free information session to meet the instructors and learn
Fee: $1,795 by Jan. 15, 2010; $1,995 after Jan. 15
FREE Paralegal Studies and Legal
Tuesday, Jan. 12, 5:30-6:30 p.m. • University of Nevada, Reno
Register online at www.extendedstudies.unr.edu
Fee includes access to Westlaw and LexisNexis for
Writing Information Session Receive a 10 percent discount when registering
the duration of the course, textbook, instructional
When: Tuesday, Jan. 12, 5:30-6:30 p.m. three or more people from the same organization!
materials, refreshment breaks and parking.
Where: University of Nevada, Reno
Continuing Education Building
Attend a free information session to meet the Early registration is encouraged.
University of Nevada, Reno/0048
about curriculum and career opportunities .
instructors and learn about curriculum and Register online at www.extendedstudies.unr.edu
Reno, Nevada 89557-1048
Paralegal Program Benefits
Eight weekends • Jan. 30-May 2, 2010
• According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for trained paralegals are
projected to increase by nearly 30 percent between 2004 and 2014.
• Certificates provide evidence to current and potential employers of successful completion of a top-quality, noncredit educational
program in preparation to join the paralegal field or for career advancement.
• Out of 200 careers cited in a recent article, the paralegal profession rated second in overall employment satisfaction.
• Successful program completion may qualify for contact hours from the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA).
Paralegal Legal Writing* ParalegaL Studies
Studies for Paralegals and Instructors Spring 2010 Registration
Certificate Program Legal Assistants Name _______________________________________________
Linda A. Bowman, J.D. First
Six evening sessions • Feb. 22-March 11, 2010
Eight weekends • Jan. 30-May 2, 2010 has been the Probate Commissioner for the
Mailing Address _______________________________________
Second Judicial District Court for Washoe
Course Sessions Course Sessions City ________________________ State _________ Zip _______
County since 2007. She earned a bachelor’s
SESSION I — Feb. 22; Mon., 6-9 p.m. degree in business administration from the Billing Address ________________________________________
SESSION I — Jan. 30-31; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Introduction to legal writing and the rewriting process University of Nevada, Reno, and earned a juris doctor from the City ________________________ State _________ Zip _______
• Access to the profession University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law. Commissioner Day Phone (______) ______________ Fax (______) ___________
SESSION II — Feb. 25; Thurs., 6-9 p.m.
• Professional responsibilities and ethics Bowman served as law clerk to Justice Cameron M. Batjer at the Email ________________________________________________
• Structure in legal documents and diseases of legal writing
• Legal terminology Nevada Supreme Court, was an associate and partner in the
SESSION III — March 1; Mon., 6-9 p.m. Vargas & Bartlett law firm and operated her own solo practice for Please register me for:
SESSION II — Feb. 6-7; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. • Style: polishing your writing and editing 11 years before joining the Second Judicial District Court. ❏ Paralegal Studies Certificate Program
• Organization and structure of the Nevada legal system Jan. 30-May 2, 2010 (Sched. #101PARA101)
• Introduction to Nevada practice and procedure SESSION IV — March 4; Thurs., 6-9 p.m.
The Honorable ❏ Registration by Jan. 15, 2010 ................................$1,795
• Substantive law: criminal law, criminal procedure • Litigation documents and legal correspondence
James L. Spoo, J.D. ❏ Registration after Jan. 15, 2010 ............................$1,995
SESSION III — Feb. 20-21; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. SESSION V — March 8; Mon., 6-9 p.m. is a Sparks Municipal Court Judge with more ❏ Legal Writing for Paralegals and Legal Assistants
• Basic legal concepts in criminal and civil law • Transaction documents and legal memoranda Feb. 22-March 11, 2010 (Sched. #101PARA104)
than 20 years of experience as an attorney in
• Substantive law: torts, contracts SESSION VI — March 11; Thurs., 6-9 p.m. civil, family and criminal law, as well as real ❏ Registration by Feb. 21, 2010 ..................................$425
• Legal briefs estate, business, nonprofit and administrative Receive a 10 percent discount when registering three or more people
SESSION IV — Feb. 27-28; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. from the same organization!
law and litigation. He completed graduate studies at the
• Civil procedure
University of Southern California and the University of Oregon, ❏ Enclosed is a check payable to the Board of Regents for $______
and earned a juris doctor from American University. Spoo served
• Discovery COMING FALL 2010! ❏ Company Purchase Order______________________________
as mayor of Sparks from 1983-1990, and as an assistant city
• Substantive law: real property, probate, estates and trusts Legal Research* attorney for the City of Sparks, a state administrative law judge, ❏ Or please charge my: ❏ VISA ❏ MasterCard
for Paralegals and Legal Assistants and deputy attorney general for the State of Nevada. ❏ Discover ❏ American Express
SESSION V — March 13-14; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Six evening sessions • Fall 2010 Cardholder’s Name ____________________________________
• Primary and secondary authority
• Case law research and analysis Card No. _____________________________________________
• Case citations Expires _____________________________ Amt. ____________
SESSION VI — March 27-28; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Information X ___________________________________________________
(Signature as it appears on card)
Prerequisites / Registration Certificate Requirements Sponsoring Organization Billing Information
• Statutory research and analysis Paralegal Studies Certificate: A high school diploma or equivalent is To receive a certificate in Paralegal Studies, program participants must
• Legislative history required to enroll. No legal experience required. earn a passing score of 70 percent (or “C”) on each exam and written Company ____________________________________________
• Introduction to Westlaw and LexisNexis *Legal Writing and Legal Research: Paralegal Studies Certificate or at assignment. Satisfactory completion (pass/fail) of all exercises and Address ______________________________________________
least one year applicable law office experience required. 90 percent attendance are also required, as well as extensive study
• Law library City ________________________ State _________ Zip _______
Return the registration form or call Extended Studies, (775) 784-4062 Day Phone (______) ______________ Fax (______) ___________
SESSION VII — April 24-25; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. or 1-800-233-8928. Or register online at www.extendedstudies.unr.edu To earn a certificate of completion for Legal Research for Paralegals
• Principles of evidence or by fax at (775) 784-4801. For information, call (775) 784-4046 or visit and Legal Assistants, satisfactory completion (pass/fail) of all exercises Email ________________________________________________
www.extendedstudies.unr.edu. and 90 percent attendance are required.
• Interviews and investigations Mail full payment and completed form to:
• Court rules Full payment must be received by 5 p.m., the day before the first day of Continuing Education Units
class. Early registration is encouraged. Paralegal Studies Registration
Upon successful completion of each program, participants may
SESSION VIII — May 1-2; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Extended Studies
submit classroom hours to the National Association of Legal Assistants
Cancellations University of Nevada, Reno/0048
• Legal writing (NALA) to apply for contact hours toward the continuing education
Full refunds will be given if a course is cancelled by Extended Studies. Reno, NV 89557
• Internet research requirements of the nationally recognized Certified Paralegal (CP) and
Participant-initiated cancellations are subject to a 15 percent
Certified Legal Assistant (CLA) designations. For more information, call (775) 784-4062 or 1-800-233-8928
• Project-based research and analysis processing fee, and must be received by noon, the business day prior to
(918) 587-6828 or visit www.nala.org. Fax: (775) 784-4801
• Course summary the first day of class. No refunds will be administered after this date.
or register online at www.extendedstudies.unr.edu
The University of Nevada, Reno is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, ADA institution. A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses. Produced by Extended Studies Marketing Dept., 11/09.