Beverly Cleary Book Report
Due: on or before Thursday, March 4, 2010
• This will count as one of your child’s free
choice books this marking period.
• Students must choose a Beverly Cleary book
that they have not read before (or had read
• Books are available in my classroom and in
our school library. You may also use a book
• Students may hand write (skip lines) or
type (double spaced) their report.
• Students need to show me the book they are
choosing to read before they begin reading
• Remember, paragraphs should have an
opening sentence, 3 or 4 detail sentences,
and a closing sentence. (5 or 6 sentences
total for each paragraph)
• If you need paper please ask me early!
• 10 points Front Cover- Needs to be
neatly done with an illustration. (All pictures
should be the original art work of your child.
Please do not use photos or computer
printouts.) Also include a blank back cover.
• 10 points Title Page – a separate page
that includes these items
• Student’s Name
• 15 points Description of the main
character or characters
In one paragraph include this information
about the character.
something interesting about the character
• 15 points Describe the time (past, present
time, or future) and setting (including city,
state, and specific locations if mentioned)
in which the story takes place in one
• 30 points Summary of the plot –
Use 3 paragraphs which include the
1. tell how the story begins
2. explain the problem (conflict)
3. how the problem is solved
• 10 points Your opinion of the book
In one paragraph explain the following.
• Did you enjoy the book? Why
or why not?
• Would you recommend it to a
friend? Why or why not?
• 10 points Did you proof read?
• Bonus Points 5 points will be given for
handing the report in early.
• Penalty 10 points will be deducted for
handing in the report late.