UNIT INTRODUCTION SHEET
In this unit you will learn a little bit about the people who lived in ancient Greece. The Greek culture is called
classical because it is often viewed as the epitome, or perfect model, of a great culture in many respects.
A wise old man once said, "we is the Greeks" and he was correct. Much of our way of thinking and behaving has
been taken from the Greek way. This is true for many other "western" nations in our world as well.
1) Describe/list the earliest civilizations in Europe/Greece
2) Describe the geography of Greece and its affect on their lifestyle
3) Explain various aspects of Greek culture- government, religion, technology, creativity,
recreation, etc.- and describe their influence on our lives today
4) Examine the importance of the Persian and Peloponnesian Wars
6) Describe the life of the Spartans and compare them to the Athenians.
7) Explain the failure of the Delian League and the result of the Pelopponesian Wars
8) Describe the influence of Alexander the Great on the spread of Greek culture.
9) List groups of people who could or could not vote in Ancient Athens and in the USA today.