How to fill out an Affidavit _joint divorce_ with children_

Document Sample
How to fill out an Affidavit _joint divorce_ with children_ Powered By Docstoc
					How to fill out an Affidavit (joint application, with children) 

If you click on the numbers below, you’ll link to where those phrases appear on a sample 
Affidavit. And clicking on the numbers on the sample Affidavit will bring you back to this 
instruction page. 
    Note: Each party in a joint action for divorce must file an Affidavit. At least one of the two 
    Affidavits must be sworn after your Joint Writ of Summons (Form 127A) has been filed. 

1  “Surname of deponent” 
    Write your surname. (A “deponent” is someone who swears, takes an oath, or affirms that 
    the information in an Affidavit is true.) 

2  “Initials of deponent” 
    Write your initials. 

3  “Affidavit # ____ of ____” 
    Write the number 1 in both places (because this is Affidavit #1 of 1). 

4  “Date Affidavit sworn” 
    Write the date the Affidavit was sworn. 
    Note: The style of cause (items 5, 6, and 7, below) must appear exactly the same way on 
    all your forms as it does on your Joint Writ of Summons (Form 127A). Examples of how to 
    complete the style of cause can be found at the end of this numbered list of instructions. 

5  “No… ” 
    Copy this number from the Joint Writ of Summons (Form 127A) or Joint Statement of 
    Claim (Form 128A). 

6  “… Registry” 
    Write the name of the Supreme Court Registry you will be dealing with (e.g., Vancouver, 
    Kelowna, Victoria).

   How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children    Instructions for forms — Page 1 of 9 
   Supreme Court — Affidavit 
    You and your spouse are the “parties to the action.” In a joint application for divorce, the 
    spouses are referred to as “Party 1” and “Party 2.” Write party 1’s full name to the left of 
    the word “Party 1.” Write party 2’s name to the left of the word “Party 2.” Use full names 
    and include middle names. (See sample style of cause #1) 
    If you or your spouse regularly uses an unofficial alias or a name other than the name on 
    your marriage certificate, write the words “also known as” and then the alias or other 
    name. An example of an alias would be someone who goes by a shortened version of his 
    or her name; for example, someone whose name is MARY JANE JONES, but who is 
    generally known as Janey Jones. Similarly, Tony for Anthony, Rick for Richard, or Tina for 
    Christina would also be considered aliases. (See sample style of cause #2) 
    If you or your spouse has had a legal name change through Vital Statistics since the 
    marriage, write the new name here and bring along a copy of your change of name 
    certificate from Vital Statistics when you go to file your documents. 

8  “I,… of …” 
    Write in your name, address (street, city, and province), and occupation, in that order. 

9  “1. I am party 1/party 2… 4. The certificate of marriage…” 
    Items 1 – 4 set out:
   ·    who you are (party 1 or party 2 — cross out the one that does not apply),
   ·    that there is no chance you and your spouse will get back together,
   ·    that everything you wrote in the Joint Statement of Claim (Form 128A) is true,
   ·    that the certificate of marriage you filed with your documents accurately sets out the 
        details of your marriage. 
    You do not need to do anything to the last three items. 

10  “5. I was living separate and apart…” 
    This is where you state that you have been separated from your spouse since the 
    beginning of the divorce proceedings and tell the court what date you separated. Cross out 
    the name (party 1 or party 2) that does not apply and write in the date that you separated 
    from your spouse. 
    Note: The Affidavit must be sworn after the one­year anniversary of the date of your 

   How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children    Instructions for forms — Page 2 of 9 
   Supreme Court — Affidavit 
11  “6. I am neither directly nor…” 
    This item sets out that you are not lying or trying to deceive the court. You do not need to 
    do anything to this item. 

12  “7. The following are the children of the marriage:” 
    Write in the names, ages, and birth dates of your child(ren), under the appropriate 

13  “8. I have completed and attached a Child Support Affidavit… ” 
    This section provides information about the Child Support Affidavit (Form 133) you have 
    completed and the children’s living situation. 
    The court wants to know:
    ·     who the children were living with before the separation (who had “care, custody, and 
    ·     who the children have lived with since the separation (who has “care, custody, and 
          control” now);
    ·     what the children do all day; that is, whether they are enrolled in the public school 
          system, attend daycare, or stay home with a parent if they are too young for school;
    ·     that the children are “properly nurtured, are in good health, and do not require any 
          special or extra expenses” (if they do have extra expenses, this should already have 
          been decided and set out in your court order or separation agreement. In this case, 
          copy the details from your court order or separation agreement into this section.);
    ·     what arrangements have been made for access/visitation for the other spouse; and
    ·     that you want the arrangements to stay as they are. 
    Note: Details of these arrangements for the children should appear in your most current 
    order or agreement. If the arrangements set out in your most current order or agreement 
    have changed, you will have to file the changed order or agreement with the court before 
    you can proceed with getting an uncontested divorce. 
    Below the first paragraph (about the Child Support Affidavit), write in another paragraph 
    setting out the information listed above. Here are some examples you can use: 
    If you have a court order for sole custody, you might write: 
        “The child was in the joint care, custody, and control of party 2 and me until our 
        separation on the 26th day of September, 1999. 
        Since that time, the child has been in my sole custody, care, and control, with party 2 
        having reasonable access to him. 
        Our son is enrolled in the public school system, is properly nurtured, is in good health, 
        and does not require any special or extra expenses. I propose that the present custodial 
        arrangements continue and that party 2 continue to have reasonable access.”
   How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children    Instructions for forms — Page 3 of 9 
   Supreme Court — Affidavit 
 If you have a court order for joint custody and the child’s primary residence is with you, you 
 might write: 
     “The child was in the joint care, custody, and control of me and party 2 until our 
     separation on the 26th day of September, 1999. 
     Since that time, the child has been in the joint custody of me and party 2. His primary 
     residence is with me. 
     I have custody, care, and control of our son, and party 2 has reasonable access to him. 
     Our son is enrolled in the public school system, is properly nurtured, is in good health, 
     and does not require any special or extra expenses. I propose that the present custodial 
     arrangements continue and that party 2 continue to have reasonable access.” 
 If you have a court order for joint custody, and the child lives part­time with both parents, 
 you might write: 
     “The child was in the joint care, custody, and control of both me and party 2 until our 
     separation on the 26th day of September, 1999. 
     Since that time, the child has been in the joint custody of me and party 2. We both have 
     custody, care, and control of our son, with our son living four days with me and three 
     days with party 2. 
     Our son is enrolled in the public school system, is properly nurtured, is in good health, 
     and does not require any special or extra expenses. I propose that the present custodial 
     arrangements continue.” 
 If the child is too young for school, you might write: 
     “The child was in the joint care, custody, and control of both me and party 2 until our 
     separation on the 26th day of September, 1999. 
     Since that time, the child has been in my sole custody, care, and control, with party 2 
     having reasonable access to him. 
     Our son attends daycare and will be enrolled in the public school system when he turns 
     five in 2002. He is properly nurtured, is in good health, and does not require any special 
     or extra expenses. I propose that the present custodial arrangements continue and that 
     party 2 continue to have reasonable access.” 
 If the child lived with one parent for a time, then moved in with the other parent, you might 
     “The child was in the joint care, custody, and control of both me and the defendant until 
     our separation on the 26th day of September, 1999. 
     From that time until October 2000, the child was in my sole custody, care, and control 
     and we agreed to a court order in Family Court on January 20, 2000 that I have sole 
     custody and the defendant have reasonable access. A copy of this court order is 
     attached to my Affidavit as exhibit “A.” 
     In October 2000, our son went to live with the defendant. He has been in the 
     defendant’s sole custody, care, and control since that time, and I have reasonable 
     access to him. We made a change to our court order on November 1, 2000 to show the

How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children    Instructions for forms — Page 4 of 9 
Supreme Court — Affidavit 
        change in arrangements (the defendant has sole custody and I have reasonable access 
        to him. A copy of this newer court order is attached to my Affidavit as exhibit “B.” 
        Our son is enrolled in the public school system, is properly nurtured, is in good health, 
        and does not require any special or extra expenses. I propose that the present custodial 
        arrangements continue, and that I continue to have reasonable access to him.” 
    If there is more than one child, and there is an order for split custody, you might write: 
        “The children were in the joint care, custody, and control of both me and party 2 until our 
        separation on the 26th day of September, 1999. 
        Since that time, the youngest child has been in my sole custody, care, and control, and 
        the oldest child has been in the sole custody, care, and control of party 2. Party 2 and I 
        have liberal and generous access to the child not in our custody. 
        Both of our children are enrolled in the public school system, are properly nurtured, are 
        in good health, and do not require any special or extra expenses. I propose that the 
        present custodial arrangements continue and that party 2 and I continue to have liberal 
        and generous access to the child not in our custody.” 
    Note: These are only examples to show you how the section could be worded. You could 
    use one of these examples, but change the wording to reflect your particular situation. 
    Note also that you can refer to the children in whatever way you like. The last example 
    above refers to them as the “youngest” and “oldest,” but you can refer to them by name, or 
    as the “son” and “daughter.” Use whatever term makes the most sense to you. 

14  “9. THAT I also wish to make application for a name change pursuant to Section 5 of 
    the Name Act…” 
    If this does not apply to you, cross it out. 
    If you want to change your name back to your maiden name, write it in the space provided 
    after “THAT my maiden name is…” Then write in your current last name followed by your 
    maiden name in the spaces provided after “THAT I respectfully ask…”. 
    If you want to go back to using a surname from a previous marriage, complete the section 
    that follows the one above. If it does not apply to you, cross it out. Write in the date (day, 
    month, and year) and your previous married last name in the spaces provided after “THAT 
    at the time of my marriage to party 1/party 2…,” crossing out the name (party 1 or party 2) 
    that does not apply. Then write in your last name and your previous married last name in 
    the spaces provided after “THAT I respectfully ask…”. 

    Leave this declaration blank until you appear before a lawyer, notary public, or 
    commissioner of oaths, at which time he or she will fill in the left­hand side, sign the form 
    and print/type/stamp his or her name above or below that signature, and you will sign the 
    right­hand side.

   How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children    Instructions for forms — Page 5 of 9 
   Supreme Court — Affidavit 
    Note: The Affidavit must contain a legible name for the lawyer, notary public, or 
    commissioner of oaths or it will not be accepted by the court. 
    Make sure that you tell the lawyer, notary public, or commissioner of oaths that you have 
    exhibits or attachments. 
    Note: Make sure this Affidavit is filed in court with the other required documents within 30 
    days of being sworn, or it will expire. 

16  “Party 1/Party 2” 
    This is where you will sign the form in front of a lawyer, notary public, or commissioner of 
    oaths. Cross out the name (Party 1 or Party 2) that does not apply.

   How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children    Instructions for forms — Page 6 of 9 
   Supreme Court — Affidavit 
Examples of a style of cause for a joint application 

     SAMPLE #1                                                                               No. ……………….. 
                                                                                        ……………….. Registry 
                                  IN THE SUPREME COURT OF BRITISH COLUMBIA 
                                RE: A JOINT FAMILY LAW PROCEEDING BROUGHT BY 
                                              MARY JANE JONES 
                     AND:                                                                                    Party 1 
                                          MICHAEL ANDREW JONES 
                                                                                                             Party 2 

(Party 1 goes by a nickname) 

                                                                                             No. ……………….. 
     SAMPLE #2
                                                                                        ……………….. Registry 
                                  IN THE SUPREME COURT OF BRITISH COLUMBIA 
                                RE: A JOINT FAMILY LAW PROCEEDING BROUGHT BY 
                                           MARY JANE JONES
                                      also known as JANEY JONES 
                     AND:                                                                                    Party 1 
                                          MICHAEL ANDREW JONES 
                                                                                                             Party 2 

    How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children    Instructions for forms — Page 7 of 9 
    Supreme Court — Affidavit 
       1                                                                                     Surname of deponent:  JONES 

       2                                                                                           Initials of deponent:  MJJ 
       3                                                                                                     Affidavit # 1 of 1 

       4                                                                        Date Affidavit sworn:  August 1, 2001 

       5                                                                                                 No. ……………….. 
       6                                                                                             Vancouver.. Registry 

                                IN THE SUPREME COURT OF BRITISH COLUMBIA 
                           RE: A JOINT FAMILY LAW PROCEEDING BROUGHT BY 

       7                                                 MARY JANE JONES
                                                    also known as JANEY JONES 
                                                                                                                        Party 1 

       7  AND:                                          MICHAEL ANDREW JONES 
                                                                                                                        Party 2 


       8          I, MARY JANE JONES  , of  789 Main Street  , of the City of Anytown  , Province of 
            British Columbia  , legal secretary (occupation), MAKE OATH (OR SOLEMNLY AFFIRM) 
            AND SAY: 

       9            1.  I am party 1/party 2. 

                    2.  There is no possibility of reconciliation. 

                    3.  I verily believe that the facts alleged in the Joint Statement of Claim are true. 

                    4.  The certificate of marriage or certified copy of the registration of marriage filed in this family 
                        law proceeding fully and correctly describes the true particulars of my marriage. 

     10             5.  I was living separate and apart from party 1/party 2 at the commencement of this family law 
                        proceeding, and I have lived separate and apart from party 1/party 2 since the 1st day of 
                        April,  1992. 

     11             6.  I am neither directly nor indirectly a party to an agreement or conspiracy for the purposes of 
                        subverting the administration of justice, or to any agreement, understanding, or arrangement to 
                        fabricate or suppress evidence or to deceive the court. 

How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children                     Instructions for forms — Page 8 of 9 
Supreme Court — Affidavit 
     12               7.  The following are the children of the marriage: 

                              Name                                          Age                   Birth date 
                              Tyler Michael JONES                           11                    July 7, 1990 

     13               8.  I have completed and attached a Child Support Affidavit that describes the financial 
                          arrangements made for the support of the child(ren), and the following arrangements have been 
                          made for their custody and access (provide particulars): 

                              Since his birth, the child of the marriage was in the joint
                              custody, care and control of party 2 and me until our separation
                              on April 1, 1992. Since that date, the child has been in my sole
                              care and control. Our son is enrolled in the public school system
                              and is properly nurtured, is in good health, and does not require
                              any special or extra expenses over and above the normal. Party 2
                              has liberal and generous access to our son. I propose that the
                              present custodial arrangements continue and that party 2 continue
                              to have liberal and generous access to our son. 

     14               9.  THAT I also wish to make application for a name change pursuant to Section 5 of the Name Act. 

                             THAT my maiden surname is  SMITH. 

                             THAT this application for a name change relates only to myself. 

                             THAT I respectfully ask that I be allowed to change my surname from  JONES  to  SMITH. 


                             THAT I also wish to make application for a name change pursuant to Section 5 of the Name Act. 

                             THAT at the time of my marriage to party 1/party 2 on the ………. day of …………., …………, 
                             my previous married surname was ………………………………… 

                             THAT this application for a name change relates only to myself. 

                             THAT I respectfully ask that I be allowed to change my surname from  …………… to 

     15  ME at the city of                     ) 
            in the province of British Columbia 
            on ..............…...…............................… 
     16  ……………………………………………… )                                                      ………………………………….. 
         A commissioner for taking Affidavits  )                                   Party 1/Party 2 
         within British Columbia               )

How to do your own uncontested divorce — Joint application, with children                       Instructions for forms — Page 9 of 9 
Supreme Court — Affidavit 

Shared By: