Section Map of the Province of Saskatchewan PAGE SASKATCHEWAN Saskatchewan

Document Sample
Section Map of the Province of Saskatchewan PAGE SASKATCHEWAN Saskatchewan Powered By Docstoc
					                           Section 2
     2.1 Map of the
Province of Saskatchewan
                                                                               PAGE 33-35

                      2.2 SASKATCHEWAN
Saskatchewan is a Western Canadian province commonly
referred to as one of the Prairie Provinces, the other prairie
provinces being Manitoba and Alberta.              The name
Saskatchewan comes from the Cree Indian word
“Kisiskatchewan” meaning “swiftly flowing”, a term first
applied to the province’s largest moving body of water, the
Saskatchewan River. Saskatchewan occupies 651,036 square kilometers of which more than
12% is lakes and rivers mainly in the northern half of the province. The province contains
portions of two major natural regions: The Canadian Shield in the North and the interior plains
in the South. Saskatchewan is the fifth largest Canadian province located between Manitoba to
the East, Alberta to the West, the Northwest Territories to the North and the USA (Montana
and North Dakota) to the South. The capital city of the province is Regina and Saskatoon is the
largest city in the province. Other major cities include Moose Jaw, Lloydminster, Prince Albert
and Swift Current.

Among the Canadian provinces, Saskatchewan ranks sixth with a population of approximately
one million people. The population of Saskatchewan is of mixed ethnic origin. More than 40%
of the people trace their ancestry to the British Isles. The next largest ethnic groups claim
German, French, Ukrainian, Aboriginal, Métis (people of mixed indigenous and European
ancestry) and Scandinavian ancestry. The original inhabitants of this region included the Cree,
Blackfoot, Chipeweyan and Assiniboine Indian nations. Today aboriginal people account for
over 17% of the province’s population.

Between 1896 and 1905, Canada introduced its first large-scale immigration policy to populate
the West. Farmers from the United States, Great Britain and all over Europe were encouraged
to emigrate and settle in this region of Canada. Many central and Eastern Europeans came to
Saskatchewan in search of prosperity and a new life. When the railroads were constructed in
the 1880s, people began settling the flatlands of central and southern Saskatchewan. The
excellent soils of the southern prairies enabled Saskatchewan to become the largest producer
of wheat in Canada. Known as the “Breadbasket of Canada”, Saskatchewan produces more
                       than 60% of all the wheat grown in the country, along with many other

                     Saskatchewan joined the Confederation of Canada in 1905.
                     The provincial motto is “From many peoples, strength”,
                     which reflects the cultural diversity of the province. The
                     provincial emblems are the white birch tree, the prairie
                     sharp-tailed grouse (a bird), and the western red lily
flower. The official flag was adopted in 1969. The provincial shield of arms is in the upper left
corner and the floral emblem is on the right. The upper half is green, representing the northern
forests and the lower half is gold, symbolizing the southern grain areas.
The economy of Saskatchewan has always depended on primary products. The first one was
fur from 1774 to 1821, followed by the rapid expansion of agriculture from about 1880 to 1930.
In the 1950s, economic growth was driven by oil, natural gas, uranium and potash mining. By
the 1960s, a strong mining industry and expanding levels of agriculture helped bring economic
                    stability to the province. The service sector, including such activities as
                    banking, finance, insurance and real estate, also expanded rapidly at this

Prairie Sharp-Tailed Grouse

The Carlton Trail Region in the East central part of the province of Saskatchewan, Canada,
currently consists of the City of Humboldt, 17 rural municipalities, 10 towns, and 14 villages but
plans are being made to expand it to more communities (see map of region). This well-known
region is often referred to as the “Iron Triangle” because of the prominence of large
manufacturing businesses that supply both the domestic and export markets in one triangular
shaped area. Other major industries in the region include potash mining and several facets of
agriculture, including hog and cattle production. Worthy of mention is the cluster of many small
meat processing businesses and facilities throughout the region specializing in various types of
sausage and other cuts of meat.

                                  From an agricultural perspective, the Carlton Trail Region is
                                  often referred to as the “sure crop district.” Crops commonly
                                  grown in the region include canola, barley, wheat and oats.
                                  Specialty crops include peas, flax, canary seed, and mustard.
                                  The average grain farm consists of 10 or more quarters of
                                  land. In addition to crop production, there are several
                                  livestock producers, two large feedlots, bison and elk farmers
                                  as well as many other commercial livestock producers. The
Carlton Trail Region is home to several large hog producers.

Residents of the Carlton Trail Region enjoy a high quality life, excellent access to health care,
education and a broad scope of work or career options, with major employers located within
easy commuting distance.

The City of Humboldt is the main regional trading center and is also the site of the regional
hospital. Humboldt was one of the first communities in the province to be designated a safe
The scenic Carlton Trail Region provides an abundance of sunshine and blue skies, wildlife and
countless recreational and leisure opportunities, But for those wanting amenities of a larger
urban center, the communities within the region are just a short driving distance to Saskatoon
(known as the City of Bridges) and Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan, as well as home of the
Royal Canadian Mounted Police training depot and memorial museum.
                                                                                PAGE 36-39
                          2.3 HEALTH & FAMILY

Most residents of Saskatchewan receive free basic health care services. In order to receive free
health care services, residents must apply for a health card. Permanent residents and other
persons who are in Canada because of education or temporary work and who have Canadian
authorization to be here, are provided benefits from the date they come to Saskatchewan but
must register to be eligible.

A health services card must be presented whenever medical services are required. Each family
member will be required to present his/her own card. Under the health plan, Saskatchewan
residents do not have to pay for most visits to the doctor, hospital stays, physiotherapy,
surgery, maternity care, cancer treatment and x-rays. However, things like doctors notes,
crutches, and splints require a fee.

Saskatchewan Health Services Card applications are available from:

   Saskatchewan Health Insurance Registration
   3475 Albert Street
   Regina, Saskatchewan
   S4S 6X6
   Tel: 306-787-3251
   Toll Free: 1-800-667-7551

Applications are available by contacting the Government of Saskatchewan in the blue pages in
the telephone directory under Health Service Cards, or online at

Other services are not covered under the Saskatchewan Health Care Plan including routine eye
examinations, chiropractic services, extra cost of private and semi-private rooms during a
hospital stay if chosen by the patient, in-city ambulance costs, cosmetic surgery and dental


Anyone can apply for extended health care benefits from in Saskatchewan from such
organizations as “Saskatchewan Blue Cross.” After working for an employer in Saskatchewan
for more than three months, employees may be eligible for extended health care benefits
through the employer benefit plan; however, not all employers have employee benefit plans.
An extended health care services program does not generally cover the cost of a medical
examination required for getting a passport or visa, employment or pilot license.

Cost of prescription drugs are not covered under the Saskatchewan
Health Care Plan. However, if people purchase an extended health
care plan, a portion of the cost will be covered.

If an individual requires medication but can not afford it, a
provincial Drug Benefit Review Committee can review the request
and may help. More information about this service is available from the
Prescription Drug Services Branch, 1-800-667-7581.


There are physicians in several communities in the Carlton Trail Region. Most people have a
general physician, or a family doctor, whom they see whenever they have health problems.
A family doctor will sometimes refer patients to a medical specialist. See the “Emergency
Services” section of this handbook for contact information of medical clinics where doctors
are available. It is also wise to talk to other people in the community about their doctors to
find out which one would be the most suitable for you.

It is usually necessary to telephone the doctor’s office to make an appointment, however,
some doctors may take “walk in patients” as well. Always present your health services card
when making an appointment or requesting treatment for yourself or a family member. If
the patient cannot speak English, have someone come along to help translate information
for the doctor and patient.


People are admitted to hospital by a doctor’s referral. Hospital gowns are provided but
             many people take their own sleep wear and robes. There is no charge for
             food served in the hospital. Patients can rent small televisions on a fee for
             service basis.

               Hospitals establish rules for visiting hours and the number of visitors allowed
               at one time. Young children may not be allowed to visit in some parts of the
               hospital. Hospitals also have social workers who can help patients with non-
               medical problems.

Hospitals have emergency departments, open 24 hours a day. If someone has been injured
at work or has been in a severe accident, a fall, a fight, or is suffering from a heart attack,
poisoning or some other serious medical problem, he/she should be taken to the
emergency department immediately.

In the Carlton Trail Region, telephoning 9-1-1 will get an ambulance quickly. There is a list
of hospitals and medical clinics listed in the Emergency Services section of this handbook.
Telephone directories have space inside the cover for important emergency numbers.
Write the local ambulance telephone number there, for fast and easy reference. It is also a
great idea to have a list of emergency numbers beside the telephone for easy access.


Medical centers provide information on health problems and services such as
immunization, family planning and pre-natal care. Free immunizations are offered for
children two months to 14 years of age at health clinics in Saskatchewan. These
immunizations protect against such diseases as polio, measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus and
diphtheria. Contact the local public health office for clinic dates and times; contact
information can be found in the Emergency Services section of this handbook.


Many communities within the Carlton Trail Region have a medical center. In this facility,
there may be a variety of medical professionals such as doctors, nurses, nutritionists,
counsellors, physiotherapists, pharmacists and other health professionals. Some medical
clinics offer X-ray services, a pharmacy, and may have a lab where blood tests can be done.

See the “Medical Services” section of this handbook for telephone numbers and addresses
of all medical centers in the Carlton Trail Region.


Family counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists help people with emotional problems
such as depression, anxiety, stress, domestic violence and loneliness. For more information,
talk to a family doctor or in emergencies call 1-306-655-7950 (Mental Health and Addiction


The following preventative programs may be offered through Saskatoon Regional Health
Authority at 1-306-655-3300
            - alcohol and drug addiction rehabilitation,
            - AIDS information,
            - help for victims of sexual assault, child abuse, family violence and self-help
               groups dealing with a wide range of issues.
For more information regarding these services, contact Partners For Rural Family Support
located in Humboldt, at 306-682-4135 or toll free 1-866-682-4135. This organization helps
people who are having family problems, such as marital difficulties, parenting difficulties or
individual concerns. Partners For Rural Family Support usually offers services at low cost or
no cost.
Parent’s Help Line

If people have concerns about their children or questions about parenting in
Saskatchewan, call 1-888-603-1900.        A professional
counsellor is available to assist in a confidential/private
manner. They will also be able to provide parents with
information about other local agencies that are able to
assist and support parents who are struggling, or needing
information about developing a positive relationship with
their children.

Disciplining Children

In Canada, parents are encouraged to find different methods of disciplining children
rather than spanking.

1. If parents do not want children to hold or touch a certain object, replace that
   object with something that feels safe and acceptable,
2. If parents are in a heated argument with a child and the parent feels like slapping
   or spanking the child, go to another room and ask the child to talk when he/she
   feels calmer,
3. If the children are being too loud in the car, pull the car over and tell them that
   the car will not move until they settle down. Acknowledge children when they
   behave. Do not only focus on them when they misbehave, and
4. Take time each day to spend time with the children. Talk with them and give
   them special time and attention

Abuse and Bullying

Abuse can be verbal, emotional, physical or sexual, used by someone in order to
gain power and control over another person. Regardless of ethnic background, age,
gender, sexual orientation, religion, disabilities, marital, financial or employment
status, no one has the right to hurt anyone. If any of these things happen to an
individual, talk to someone who can help. Call:
        24 Hour Abuse Line 1-800-214-7083 or
        Partners for Rural Family Support at 306-682-4135 or
        Mental Health at 306-655-7950
                                                                                    PAGE 40-41
               2.4 FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE

The Saskatchewan Assistance Plan is designed to help unemployed people or people who
cannot meet their basic financial needs on their own. Assistance is provided to help with basic
living needs, special needs, health services and welfare services. When receiving Social
Assistance, a recipient must try hard to support himself/herself and his/her family. Recipients
are also expected to look for work or accept training if it is available.

To apply for assistance, a person would first call the Community Resources and Employment
Call Centre, 1-866-221-5200. Before calling, have all necessary documents ready. You will need
identification cards for each member of the family and expense receipts. After taking your
application by phone, the worker will advise you what to do next. It is important to follow the
policy guidelines in order to maintain eligibility for assistance. For assistance, contact your local
settlement agency.


The Provincial Training Allowance (PTA) is designed to help people who are unemployed and
underemployed. Assistance is provided to help with basic living needs, special needs and health
services. PTA is provided through training institutions approved by the department of
Community Resources and Employment. To be eligible for PTA, applicants must meet criteria
set out by the department. To apply for PTA or for more information, contact the Student
Financial Assistance Branch at: 306-787-0923.


The Saskatchewan Government provides supplementary income for low income working
families to help with the cost of raising children. Under this program, families are also eligible
to receive extra medical coverage.

For more information about this program, please call: 1-877-696-7546.


This program was implemented to address child poverty and the problems associated with it.
Through a shared commitment with provincial and territorial governments, the Federal
Government provides financial assistance to low income families to improve living standards of
children. Eligibility is based on family income. For more information speak to employer or
contact the Service Canada agent at: 1-800-622-6232.

Goods and Services Tax (GST) is a tax you pay on most goods and services provided in Canada.
If you are 19 years of age or older, you may be eligible for a GST credit based on your previous
year’s income. The GST credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families
with low and modest incomes to offset a part of the GST that they pay. To apply, you have to
file an income tax and benefit return, in March or April each year, even if you have no income
to report. For more information call: 1-800-622-6232 (toll free) or go to the website
                                                                                 PAGE 42-45
                     2.5 COMMUNICATION

Newcomers can apply to SaskTel at or call 1-800-727-
5835 to have a telephone connected in their new home or place of
business. It usually takes only a few days to have a telephone installed.
Subscribers will have to pay a deposit for the first Saskatchewan telephone.
Once the telephone is connected, subscribers will receive a telephone bill each month.

The first bill will have an installation charge on it. The telephone bill will also list any long
distance calls an individual or anyone using the telephone has made, the date those phone calls
were made, the length of each phone call, and the cost of each call. There will also be a charge
for telephone equipment rental, and taxes. There is no charge for local calls. This bill must be
paid each month or the service will be disconnected. There are lower long distance rates for
calls made after 6 p.m. and before 8 a.m., as well as all day Saturday and Sunday. The
telephone directory will list these rates.

It is easy to make a long distance telephone call to anywhere in the world; simply dial 011 +
Country Code (2 or 3 digits) and Routing Code (1 to 5 digits) + local number (5 to 10 digits). If
someone want to call anywhere in Saskatchewan the area code is 306.

It is important to notify the telephone company about one month before moving so that the
service can be disconnected and reconnected in the new home, if necessary.


       The white pages in the telephone book list numbers and
       addresses of individuals, businesses and organizations. Blue
       pages list numbers and addresses of municipal, provincial and
       federal government offices. These listings are in alphabetical order. There is no charge
       for listings in the white pages. Names are automatically listed when telephone service is
       connected, unless an individual requests an unpublished number. There is an extra
       monthly charge for this service. The local telephone book may also include: city maps,
       area codes and postal codes.

       The yellow pages list businesses which have chosen to advertise. There is a charge for
       businesses to use this service. Businesses are listed in alphabetical order according to
       the nature of the business, such as Restaurants, and then by the business name.
       Emergency numbers are listed on the front inside cover of the telephone directory.

       Another thing to be aware of is prank phone calls. Prank phone calls usually happen in
       the evening or during the night. They are a form of harassment or a practical joke
       committed over the telephone. One can call SaskTel and pay a monthly fee to have ten
       telephone numbers blocked. Unwanted calls can also be reported to SaskTel. They can
       give options to make the calls stop.


       With the invention of cellular telephones, there are very few pay phones located in
       public places anymore, such as restaurants, libraries and municipal buildings. Local
       telephone calls on a pay phone cost 35 cents. It is important to read the instructions on
       the phone before making a call.

       If the line is busy, or no one answers, the money deposited will be returned through the
       coin return slot.

       Long distance calls can be made by dialling “0" for Operator. Many coins are needed to
       pay for a long distance call. The operator will come on the line when necessary to
       request more money. Long distance calls may also be charged to a calling card, which is
       applied for at the SaskTel office or purchased at a local convenience store. These cards
       are “pre-paid” and generally a better value for your money.


       Some people and businesses have answering machines connected to their telephones,
       or subscribe to a voice mail service to record any messages while they are away. Leave
       your name and telephone number on the machine, usually after the sound of a
       beep/tone and the person you are calling will return the call.


       Some businesses and individuals hire an answering service to take their phone calls
       when they are away from their telephone. The answering service will contact the
       person trying to be contacted, but cannot give out any info or answer any questions.


Canada Post is the federal Crown Corporation responsible for postal service in Canada. Most
communities in the Carlton Trail Region have a post office. It may be one building or the postal
services may be located within a store or some other business in the community. At most post
offices, it is possible to mail letters and parcels, buy stamps and money orders and receive
information about postal rates and services.
Sending & Receiving Mail

In the Carlton Trail Region there is no door-to-door mail delivery. People pick up
          their mail at the local post office. To mail a letter, it is necessary to place a
          stamped, addressed letter in a mail box, which is located at post office.
          When mailing an item, the item must have the proper postage and be
          correctly addressed. Both the complete mailing address and return
          address, including postal codes, are required. Letters and parcels may be
          weighed at any postal outlet to ensure proper postage is affixed. Items
          without enough postage may be returned to the sender.

           When addressing a letter or parcel, your name, address and postal code
are written clearly in the upper left hand corner. Then postage is placed in the
upper right hand corner and the mailing address should be written in the centre of
the letter or parcel. There are many ways to send letters. Letters may be sent by
standard mail, special delivery or priority post courier. Registered mail provides
proof of mailing and delivery.

Parcels may be sent in various ways also: Parcel Post, Expedited Parcels and by
Priority Post Courier, depending on the speed of delivery and
security required.


Special airmail paper and envelopes are available at most
stationary stores. The Post Office also has Air Mail stickers which can be put on an
ordinary envelope. The Post Office will tell the sender how much it costs to send a
letter to another country. This is a great way for a person to send letters, cards or
any important information to their loved ones and families in home countries.


Local libraries provide free internet access to the public.
Using the internet provides the opportunity to search for
information. It also allows people to open an email account
with Hotmail, Netscape or Yahoo, etc. Through email people
can communicate with family and friends around the world.
Several Internet Service Providers (ISPs) provide Internet service to local subscribers.
Before applying for internet service, individuals must have a computer with a
modem or Ethernet card and a browser such as Netscape or Internet Explorer.
There is a monthly fee for this service. Choosing your services try to buy “high
speed” over “dial up” if possible. It is a faster service.
If setting up an email account, be aware of junk mail. Unwanted email is a
widespread problem. Here is some advice on how to recognize the various sorts of
junk mail.

If people receive harassing or offensive mail that is directly addressed to them, ignore
it. If it continues contact the email website and they will help.

Chain mail is the email equivalent of paper chain mail. Chain mail may be
distinguished from other junk mail if it was sent by a friend or acquaintance and
includes a request to forward the mail to as many people as possible. Typically this
comes from an address that the person does not recognise, is addressed to an address
that the receiver does not recognize and has a subject which suggests that it might be
junk mail, for example get rich quick schemes, advertisements for bulk emailing
people, advertisements for pornographic sites or direct selling. Most computers now
have a program that offers a scanning program which helps filter out junk mail.
                                                                                  PAGE 46-53
                 2.6 EMPLOYMENT & LAW

Saskatchewan’s labour market is very different from what it used to be. The types of jobs
available have changed quite dramatically. To qualify to work in most jobs, workers are
expected to have more education and skills than in the past.

Within the time period from 1994-2003, there has been a decline of about 28,000 agriculture
related jobs. At the same time, there has been an increase of about 60,000 non-agriculture
related jobs. It is also important to note that by the year 2011, all of the net labour market
growth in this province will come entirely from immigration.


The Saskatchewan job market is competitive. Individuals who
want to work must actively seek out appropriate training and
then apply for suitable jobs. Most available job positions will be
found in local newspaper (“Help Wanted” or “Employment”
Sections), on Internet sites, posted in store windows, or by word of mouth. Job advertisements
usually give a brief description of the job, skills and experiences required and where to apply.
Once a job seeker discovers a job, it is up to him/her to prepare a cover letter and resume (see
definitions below) and to submit these to the employer in order to be considered for the job.

In order to submit the resume, the job seeker can mail it to the Human Resources department
of the company. Some jobs can be sent by email or fax, depending on what the job
advertisement asks for. It is often best to call the company and ask to schedule an
appointment with the human resources coordinator and then drop off the resume directly to
the employer. This allows the employer to get to know who the job seeker is.

After submitting the resume and cover letter, an employer will telephone the job seeker if the
employer is interested in finding out more about the person’s skills and abilities. The employer
will ask to set up an interview with the individual. The interview will be held at the employer’s
office. If all goes well, the employer will ask the job seeker to provide him/her with references.
References are names and contact information of people who know the skills and abilities of
the job seeker.

Within one to two weeks of the interview, the employer usually sends a letter or calls the job
seeker to let him/her know if he/she has been successful in getting the job.

In order to work in Canada, a Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.) is necessary. This number is an
important piece of identification, and is required by all employers and the government.
Social Insurance Numbers are applied for at Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
(HRSDC). You will need to show proof of permanent residence. Non-permanent residents will
be required to present one of the following documents:

      •   visitor record
      •   employment authorization
      •   permit to enter or stay in Canada
      •   extension of permit
      •   foreign birth certificate translated into English or French
      •   student authorization

      It may take a few weeks after application is made before the plastic card arrives in the mail.
      However, a receipt can be issued upon request, proving a S.I.N. has been applied for,
      allowing the applicant to begin work immediately.

The Resume is a summary of an individual’s education and work experience. It tells an

  • who you are (your name, address, telephone number)
  • what experience you have (names, addresses and job descriptions of past work experience,
    including volunteer experience)
  • education you have taken (schools, certificates, licenses, etc.)
  • what skills you have obtained
  • reference information of individuals who know you

Government agencies such as Can-Sask will help newcomers to prepare resumes and cover
letters. Can-Sask is located in the Carlton Trail Regional College building on 7th street in
Humboldt. The Cover Letter accompanies a resume. It explains why you are interested in
working for that particular company, and why you would be a good person for the job.
Please be aware that Can-Sask offers full support to job seekers. In addition to assisting with
the preparation of resumes and cover letters, the employment service will help individuals in
the following ways:

  •       provide lists of jobs available locally, provincially and nationally
  •       provide interviews with counselors regarding work skills and training
  •       provide information on training courses or English classes
  •       give referrals to employers

You can also ask about available work at Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
(HRSDC) and Canada Saskatchewan Career & Employment Services: 306-682-6772. HRSDC is
operated by the Federal Government, and Can-Sask is operated by the provincial government.
One of the newest services offered is the Job Bank on the Internet. The location of this website
is: Another good resource is found at:

Training Programs

Training programs are offered through Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
(HRSDC), Immigrant Settlement Agencies, SIAST, community colleges and private colleges.



In Saskatchewan, the minimum wage is $8.25 per hour as of January 1st, 2008. In most job
situations, employees are entitled to at least three hours of wages each time they are asked to
work, even if their shift is less than three hours long.

Hours of Work

If employees work more than 160 hours a month (which averages eight
hours per day or 40 hours per week), they must receive overtime pay at the
rate of one and a half their regular wage or time off instead.

Termination or Lay-off

If an employee decides he or she wants to quit his or her job and has been with a
company for at least three months, the company is entitled to at least one week’s
written notice (if employed less than one year) and at least two week’s written
notice if employed more than one year but less than three. It is the same in the
event of a layoff: if proper notice is not given, the employee should receive pay in lieu of notice,
unless termination was for “just cause”.

There are also minimum standards for holidays, leaves of absence, pay administration and
special provisions for those working in hospitals, hotels, restaurants, nursing homes and

For more information, contact your local Labour Standards Office.

                 GETTING PAID

                 By Saskatchewan Labour Standards, employees must be paid at least twice per
                 month unless they are on a monthly salary. Usually the employer issues a pay
                 cheque to the employee, which can be cashed at the employee’s bank. The
                 employer will take certain deductions off the pay cheque to pay the
                 government. Employees must receive a slip showing their earnings and
deductions. Expect deductions from the government to be quite high (approximately 30%) on
all pay cheques.

Canada Pension Plan (C.P.P.)

These are mandatory deductions from your salary to help the government pay a pension to
anyone who has contributed to the plan and has reached the age of 65 years.

Income Tax

The Canadian government collects taxes to help pay for government services. Income tax is
deducted from the employee’s salary and forwarded to the Canadian government to help pay
for provincial and federal programs. Annually, employers provide each employee with a form
(T4), stating the amount earned and taxes already paid. Although income tax is deducted from
income cheques, sometimes not enough has been deducted and the employee may have to pay
additional income tax. Sometimes the amount deducted is too much and a refund is issued.
Information provided for Income Tax may also be used to determine your eligibility for some
programs, such as GST and Child Tax Benefits. Failing to file an Income Tax return may
disqualify the individual from receiving benefits to which they may be entitled, and is against
the                                                                                        law.

Other Deductions

Some companies may deduct union dues, parking fees, health or dental fees, if such programs
are offered through the business.


Employment Insurance Premiums (E.I.) are deducted from each pay cheque. This money is
deducted and used to pay a person while they are unemployed and looking for other work. The
employer must also make a predetermined contribution to the government.

Benefits are based on a percentage of the claimant’s earnings during the past 52 weeks. A
person cannot collect E.I. if fired for just cause, or if he/she quits without a good reason.

To apply for Employment Insurance, a Record of Employment from every place the individual
has worked in the last 52 weeks is needed.
This form shows earnings, the length of time employed by that company, and the reason for
leaving work. A percentage of the earnings rated on the Record of Employment is paid to the
individual as benefits. Take your Record of Employment to Human Resources and Skills
Development Canada (HRSDC). It is necessary to fill out an application form and a Social
Insurance Number is also needed. There are people in the office who are able to help complete
the form. The application is reviewed and a decision made about eligibility and benefits within
a few weeks. There is also a waiting period before anyone eligible to receive benefits. The
length of the waiting period may depend on the reason the individual left the last job and the
amount of holiday pay or compensation that was received. Generally, it is usually a period of
two weeks.

To be eligible for benefits, the person must have worked a certain number of weeks during the
last 52 weeks, depending on the unemployment rate in the region and other factors. The same
rules apply to the length of time benefits will be paid.

Once the application has been approved, the individual will begin to receive report cards in the
mail. These report cards must be completed carefully and according to the instructions on
them to avoid a delay in payments. This can also be done by telephone or online. If there cards
are not filled out carefully, it could lead to loss of benefits.

While collecting Employment Insurance, applicants are expected to look for work. Applicants
must also report any work carried out, any earnings made during a report period, or any
training courses attended. It is against the law to give false information on the employment
insurance claim. The HRSDC office is located in the Canada building in downtown Saskatoon on
1st Avenue.


Anyone who is on the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) must report any employment
earnings to his/her settlement counsellor. At Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the RAP
client is allowed to earn 25 percent of his/her monthly budget before money will be deducted
from his/her benefits.

If he/she finds full time employment, RAP is discontinued. Full time continuous employment is
defined as being a job which is not of a temporary nature, but which has prospects of continuity
and in which the individual has been employed for a minimum of twenty (20) consecutive
working days. If he/she loses that job before he/she has earned enough weeks to apply for
Employment Insurance, he/she will be referred to Social Services for assistance.


Canada has two main legal systems, criminal law and civil law. They each have different
penalties and methods of settlement.

These laws protect the individual and include areas of theft, fraud, assault and murder.
Penalties include a fine paid to the government, imprisonment and probation. The penalty
is issued because the Criminal Code of Canada has been broken.


These laws look after the rights and duties between people and organizations. Money or
“damages” are paid by one party to another as compensation. Penalties are assessed when
there is a loss of income, property, possessions, and mental or physical injury. Court costs
are paid by the individuals involved. Usually a lawyer handles the issue.


A lawyer will represent an individual in court. They are listed in the telephone directory’s
yellow pages under Lawyers. There is also a Lawyer Referral Service available by calling toll-
free: 1-800-667-9886. Legal Aid provides legal service to those who can’t afford to pay for
similar services. Legal Aid provides assistance in criminal law and family law. Information
on a wide range of subjects is also available.

Legal Aid is paid by the provincial and federal governments. There are 13 offices in
Saskatchewan. For more information call the Saskatchewan Legal Aid Commission office in
your community.


People go to court because they have been accused of a crime, have witnessed a crime, or
have been arrested by the police when evidence indicates they have committed a crime. It
is wise to have a lawyer if he/she had been accused of a crime. A summons or notice of the
court date is issued. It is against the law not to obey this summons. Anyone charged with a
crime is entitled to a fair trail by judge and jury, or by judge alone.

The person charged is called “the accused”. Two lawyers are present at a trial. One
represents the accused and the other represents the government, also called “the Crown”.
It is against the law to lie in court and anyone testifying must take an oath before speaking.


               In the Carlton Trail Region, policing is the responsibility of the Royal Canadian
               Mounted Police (RCMP). The purpose of the RCMP is to protect the public.
               The RCMP patrol rural areas including small towns and villages as well as the
               City of Humboldt. Police officers are on duty 24 hours a day, every day of the
   week. The police sponsor crime prevention and community awareness programs and often
   speak to school children. Parents teach their children not to be afraid of the police. The
   police help prevent and stop crime, and enforce traffic laws to keep streets safe for
   pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers. They can be called in any emergency.

   In the Carlton Trail Region 9-1-1 is the emergency number to help contact the police, fire
   department or ambulance quickly.

   Help can also be found quickly by dialling “0" for an Operator and calmly stating your name,
   address and telephone number, and the problem. The police also have a direct phone line
   which is listed in the telephone directory. It is illegal to try and bribe a police officer. This is
   a serious offense in Canada and could result in a prison sentence.


The Canadian Human Rights Act protects the fundamental freedoms of speech, thought,
religion, freedom of expression, freedom of association, and fundamental rights.

Equality rights protect people from discrimination because of race, country of origin, religion,
color, sex, age, mental or physical disability. Legal rights include the right to contact a lawyer,
the right to be protected against the police entering a person’s home without legal consent, the
right to a fair trail and the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.

Mobility rights, which include the right to travel, live and look for work anywhere in Canada, are
also protected. (If a person on the Resettlement Assistance Program chooses to move, his/her
settlement counsellor can re-assess his/her eligibility for assistance.)


The Code guarantees fundamental freedoms and rights, such as freedom of expression and
assembly. It protects equality rights in the areas of housing, employment, public services,
education, contracts and publications.

Anyone who disobeys the Code may be responsible for any damages which result from a
discriminatory act, such as lost wages or humiliation.


The Commission consists of members of the public appointed by the provincial Minister of
Justice. The Commission looks after inquiries and complaints, research and education, approval
of affirmative action programs and the granting of exemptions from certain provisions of the

   Complaints may be filed at the Saskatoon or Regina office. A human rights
   officer will investigate the complaint, interview anyone who may have
   information and examine relevant records and documents.

   If it is determined there is enough evidence to support the complaint, an attempt is made to
   settle it in a way that is satisfactory to both sides.

   If a settlement can not be reached, the Commission will ask the Attorney General to appoint
   a board of inquiry. This independent board will hear evidence, decide whether the Code
   has been violated and determine what damages should be awarded.

   For further information, or to file a complaint, contact:

   Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission          Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission
   8th Floor, 122 3rd Avenue North               3rd Floor, 1942 Hamilton Street
   Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7K 2H6              Regina, Saskatchewan, S4P 3V7
   Toll Free: 1-800-667-9249                     Toll Free: 1800-667-8577


An Ombudsman is a person who is an independent officer of the Legislature. He/she
investigates complaints made by Saskatchewan residents when they feel they have been
treated unfairly by a provincial government department or agency. There is no charge for this
service. Telephone or write the Ombudsman at:

   Suite 150, 2401 Saskatchewan Drive
   Regina, Saskatchewan, S4P 3V7
   Toll Free: 1-800-667-7180
   344 3 Avenue North
   Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7K 2H6
   Toll Free: 1-800-667-978
                                                                                  PAGE 54-58
                      2.7 TRANSPORTATION


People can take a bus from one city to another or one province to another. There are two main
bus companies offering service in Saskatchewan: Greyhound Lines of Canada and the
Saskatchewan Transportation Company (STC). To contact the Greyhound Lines of Canada call 1-
800-6618747 and the Saskatchewan Transportation Company is 1-800-663-7181.

Larger cities have bus depots, but in smaller communities in the Carlton Trail Region, depots are
located in other businesses, such as a hotel or service station. Schedules and fees are available
from the local bus depot. People can also send parcels by bus. To send something on a bus,
take the parcel to the bus depot and have it weighed. Make sure the parcel is packed securely
and well-wrapped. Be sure to take the parcel to the bus depot at least one hour before the bus
is due to depart.


There are very limited taxi services in the Carlton Trail Region. A meter in the taxi monitors the
                        time and distance of each trip and charges accordingly. If you are in a
                        city that you are not familiar with, do not get into a taxi without a
                        meter. (Sometimes there are ‘fake taxis” who rob people) A taxi
                        provides direct door-to-door service. There may be a wait for a ride,
                        especially during cold weather and busy hours, when people may be
taking taxis to work. Taxi companies in the cities are listed in the yellow pages of the telephone

The two local taxis in the Carlton Trail Region are located in Humboldt. To contact Al’s Taxi call
306-231-8555 or City Taxi and Delivery call 306-231-8600.


Points of service, schedules and fares are given by travel agents, train station employees and
airline companies. Travel agents and airlines are listed in the yellow pages of the telephone

Train information is also listed in the white pages under Canadian Pacific (CP Rail) or VIA Rail
Canada Inc. The toll-free numbers are:
   CP Rail: 1-800-704-4000

   VIA Rail: 1-800-561-8630


In order to drive an automobile in Saskatchewan, it is necessary to have a valid Saskatchewan
driver’s license (part of the license includes a photograph of yourself). There are different
classes of licenses for different types of vehicles, such as cars, big trucks, motorcycles,
ambulances, buses, and taxis.

To drive a car or small truck in Saskatchewan, a Class 5 license is required. The basic cost of a
Class 5 license is $25.00. This fee is collected by the Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI)
for the provincial Department of Highways to use for road and highway maintenance. Some
drivers may be charged more for a license if they have traffic convictions.


A valid driver’s license from another Canadian province or an International driver’s license
approved by Canada, can be used in Saskatchewan for up to 90 days. The holder of either
license can obtain a Saskatchewan license by passing an eye examination and written test.

If an individual does not hold a license and is 15 years of age or older, he/she can apply for a
learner’s license (Class 7 license). This permit allows a person to drive only when accompanied
in the front seat by someone who has a valid driver’s license. To qualify for a learner’s permit,
the person must write and pass an examination and writing test. If an immigrant has a driver’s
license from another country their license is usually valid for three months. After three months
the license expires so it is best to deal with soon after your arrival in Canada.

Drivers’ licenses must be renewed once a year, before the end of the driver’s birth month. A
renewal form will be sent in the mail. This can be renewed by mail or in person. It is so very
important to notify Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) of any change of address or
change of name.


Vehicles must be registered and have valid Saskatchewan license plates. The cost of registering
a vehicle depends on the model and year. Purchases of license plates automatically give
insurance coverage after a set deductible amount. This insurance provides coverage for vehicle
damage, injury, death, and liability.

Additional insurance, which lowers the deductible and provides additional insurance coverage,
can be purchased from an insurance agent.
To register a vehicle, the issuer will need to know the year, make and model, serial number and
wheelbase of the vehicle. Proof of ownership is also required. If the vehicle has been
previously owned, the last owner will have a bill of sale on the correction stub of the
registration certificate. This is proof of ownership when transferred. To register a new vehicle,
it is necessary to supply the New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) provided by the dealer.
Drivers have the option of paying for the license plates on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis.

A renewal application is sent to the owner each year by mail in the month before the vehicle
was previously registered or 11 months after date of issue. This form can be taken to a
Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) Motor License issuer for renewal. Newcomers
should ask his/her employer or inquire at the local municipal office where the local SGI issuer is
located. The driver will be given new stickers to put on the license plates. These stickers tell
when the registration will expire again. If the driver does not receive a renewal form in the
mail, take the old registration certificate to the issuer.


If involved in an accident, there are several steps to be taken:

1. Use emergency action (call police and/or an ambulance) or
   apply first aid if necessary,
2. Turn ignition off in damaged vehicles to reduce fire hazard,
3. Have someone warn and direct oncoming traffic,
4. Do not move damaged vehicles,
5. If injury has occurred, or if the damage is more than $500, report the accident to the police
6. Get the names, addresses and driver’s license numbers from all involved, and of any
7. Do not admit fault, make payments, or accept money unless the claim is not going to be
8. Make a claim to Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) agency as soon as possible.


By law, adult passengers in a vehicle are required to wear seatbelts. The driver must also wear
a seatbelt and is responsible for any children in the vehicle under the age of 16. Anyone not
wearing a seatbelt may be fined.

Children of certain age/size must be strapped into a car seat or booster seat. Children should
ride in the back seat only. Infants must be placed in a rear-facing child safety seat. Lap belts
secure the seat to the vehicle. Children 20 to 40 1bs (9 to 18 kg) can face forward in a child’s
car seat, secured to the vehicle. Children 40 to 60 lbs (18 to 36 kg) can be moved into a high-
back booster seat secured by regular seat belts. These are guidelines only-it is important to
read the instructions that come with the child’s safety seat for proper installation and use.


Traveling by automobile during Saskatchewan winters can be dangerous. It is important to
listen to weather reports or to call the Highway Hotline, 1-888-335-7623, which is listed in the
telephone directory, in the Government of Saskatchewan blue pages under Highways.

The vehicle should be “winterized” and snow tires or all season tires are needed. It is a good
idea to have a winter storm kit in the vehicle: shovel, sand bags, tow chain, flashlight, compass,
warning lights, extra clothing, emergency food, axe, ice scraper and brush, booster cables, road
maps, first aid kit, candles, blankets, fire extinguisher, and methyl hydrate for fuel lines and
windshield de-icing.

Drive with caution and stay on main roads. In winter time it is a good idea to always keep the
car’s gas tank half full. If stopped or trapped by a blizzard, remain calm and stay in the vehicle.
Open a window a bit to keep fresh air moving in the car. Beware of exhaust fumes. Do not run
the vehicle unless a window is open. Make sure the exhaust pipe is not blocked by snow. If
carbon monoxide enters the vehicle, exposure can lead to death. Set out warning lights,
exercise limbs, hands and feet. Stay in the car because it provides shelter.


New Cars
New cars can be purchased only from a car dealer. It is best to
compare prices at several dealers before buying. It is also important
to take a friend along who knows something about cars, to help
shop for a new vehicle. If possible, try to find out about the reputation of the dealership.
Prices vary and some bargaining is expected. New cars come with a warranty. A warranty is a
document which says that certain parts of the car can be repaired or replaced without cost to
the owner. A warranty usually covers a period of one year or more.

Buying a Used Car from a Dealer

If an individual wants to buy a used car from a dealer, try to find out about the reputation of
the dealer. Prices vary widely and bargaining is expected.

Most used cars do not have a warranty. However, ask the car dealer if there is a written

Buying a Used Car from Another Person
When buying a used car from a person who does not work at a car dealership, always make
sure that the car does not have a lien on it. When the car has a lien on it, the car has not been
paid for in full by the seller, which could make the buyer liable. This could result in extra cost to
the purchaser.
To find out if the car has a lien on it, you should call the Vehicle Registry office at: 1-306-683-
2382 or 1-800-667-9868. For more information, look in the blue or white pages under
Government of Saskatchewan, Driver’s Licences & Motor Vehicle Registrations. The buyer will
need to provide the car’s year, make (type of car) and serial number. There is a small fee for a
lien search.

Shopping Tips for Used Car Buyers

  • Talk to someone who has had experience buying used cars. Look for rust or damage to the
    car. Test drive the car with a person who knows a lot about cars. Check the car to see how
    many miles or kilometers have been driven. If a dealer makes promises about the car,
    make sure the promises are written down on the warranty.
  • Never give the dealer or person selling the car any money until you are certain about
    buying the car.
  • Have the car checked by a mechanic. This will cost between $50 and $100.