Docstoc

Steam Locomotive 3526

Document Sample
Steam Locomotive 3526 Powered By Docstoc
					                       Steam Locomotive 3526
Locomotive 3526 is the only survivor of the
class of 35 introduced as express passenger
engines in 1914 as the NN (1027) Class.
3526 was built by the NSW Railway’s Eveleigh
Workshops, completed in March 1917, as
works number 118. On entering service as
a member of the ‘NN’ Class, it was allocated
road number 1314. The locomotive was rebuilt
with new frames and cab in July 1940. It
was one of three engines specially painted in
‘Caves Express’ colours in the early 1930s,
and after its rebuild was one of the many to
receive a lined green paint scheme.                             in tractive effort, enabling efficient haulage of the new heavy
                                                                main line carriages.
Locomotive 3526 was withdrawn from revenue service in
1967 and retained for preservation, in the custody of the NSW   The NN Class became the principal motive power for all major
Rail Transport Museum with ownership vested in State Rail.      express passenger trains, with additional social significance
                                                                because of its use on the Caves Express to the Blue Mountains
3526 was used on NSWRTM tour trains until October 1974.         when it was a popular holiday and honeymoon train, inspiring
With the transfer of the Museum from Enfield to Thirlmere in     a level of emotional attachment particularly in that generation.
June 1975, it travelled to Thirlmere under its own steam, but
has not steamed since then, until its recent restoration.       In appearance, the design of these stylish locomotives was
                                                                clearly influenced by designs for the English Great Western
The locomotive was restored to fully operational condition at   Railway, where Lucy had trained and worked before coming
Thirlmere by NSWRTM staff and volunteers in 2003/2004 in a      to the NSWGR. The rebuilding program circa 1937-42 largely
project jointly funded by RailCorp and the NSWRTM.              destroyed the elegance of their GWR-style lines, but provided
3526 is now used for special events and tours on heritage       a semi-enclosed cab design similar to that introduced on
passenger trains operated by the NSW Rail Transport Museum      the 57 Class, thus beginning a NSWGR ‘family’ resemblance,
under the ‘Heritage Express’ banner.                            while the side valances were an attempt to provide a modern,
                                                                streamlined appearance and image.
Designed by Edward Lucy, the NSW Government Railway’s
Chief Mechanical Engineer, the 35 Class (as originally the      Locomotive 3526 is part of the NSW Rail Transport Museum
NN Class) were an important development of NSW express          collection, housed at the Rail Heritage Centre, Thirlmere, and
passenger power, and a significant achievement of the            operated by the NSWRTM’s train operations group, Heritage
‘Lucy’ era. Lucy’s first, and favourite, engine as the new       Express. Information compiled by Heritage Express.
Chief Mechanical Engineer, the 35 class was the first class of
locomotive designed and built completely by the NSWGR, and
the first passenger locomotive in NSW to approach 30,000 lbs




                                                                                 APRIL 17-18 2010

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:32
posted:5/5/2010
language:English
pages:1
Description: Steam Locomotive 3526