Cover Letter for Research Paper ENGL 201
It is very important to me that you are cognizant of your writing, not just that you can produce
effective writing. Because of this, you will be assessed based on how well you can articulate your
writing process and answer these questions. To some degree, you are directing me to recognize the
work you have been doing, and therefore, how to assess your research paper. Your cover letter will
be at least one page; It does not need to be double spaced. Your cover letter will be in letter form.
It will be addressed to me and you will SIGN it.
Some questions to consider:
• How does your paper function as a research paper? What was your original
research topic, research question? How did this lead to your final thesis?
• What was your process in writing it? Where did you start? What did you add in
between drafts? What did you cut out or focus on by the final draft? What were
some especially helpful comments you received from peers?
• What were your substantial revisions? Tell me specifically what the subject areas
were and what you did with them (for example: what information you added,
moved, removed, expanded on… in what draft)
• What were the “primary sources” that you used? How did your “primary” material
function in your research?
• How have you met some of the class objectives that you feel you have been working
on? Please tell me specifically HOW you have accomplished these things, not just
that you have.
Please include anything else about the process of writing this paper that you think would
be helpful for me to know in order to understand your process.