Suggested Sample Letter of Invitation for Visiting - DOC by odu47975


									                          Suggested Invitation Letter for VISITING PROFESSORS

     Visiting Professors must have a permanent position at an academic institute outside Canada, to
         which they will return following their visit.
     Ensure visit is for maximum two academic years.
     Before or during foreign visitor’s stay, if there will be changes to: duration of stay, financial
         support, location/type of activities to be carried out, contact U of A Immigration Advisor before
         implementing changes. A separate immigration procedure (and letter) may be required.

<<insert date>>

<<insert name and address>>

Dear <<insert name>>,

I am pleased to invite you to the Department of <<insert name of dept>> as a Visiting Professor for a period of
<<insert duration of stay (e.g. 3 months, 1 year)>> beginning on or about <<insert start date>>.

While at the University of Alberta, we will provide you with <<described details e.g., taxable living allowance,
etc>>>. This amount will be in addition to any financial support provided by your home institute.

During your stay, you will <<insert list of activities that will be carried out>>. These activities will take place in
<< insert geographic location(s) where activities will take place (e.g. Edmonton, Banff, various locations in
Alberta, etc.) >>

Please ensure that you apply for a work permit. You should be exempt from advance confirmation of employment
by Service Canada under Regulation R205(b), Confirmation Exemption Code C22 of the Immigration Manual. To
qualify for this exemption you must: a) remain at this University no longer than two academic years b) retain a
permanent position at an academic institute outside Canada c) return to your permanent position following your

To enter Canada and obtain a work permit, you must provide Canadian immigration authorities with:
        this letter of invitation
        a completed application for a work permit, which can be found at the following link:
        a statement from your home university confirming that you hold a permanent position, to which you will
         return, when your appointment at the University of Alberta expires
        a valid passport (Some rare exceptions may apply to this requirement, however; we strongly recommend
         that you have a valid passport.)

You may also be required to obtain additional documentation, such as a:
        temporary resident visa (
        police certification (
        medical examination (
        re-entry permit. If you are not a citizen of the country where you currently reside, you may need to obtain
         a separate permit to re-enter that country. Before traveling to Canada, please contact the immigration
         authorities of the country where you reside, to determine whether you will require such a permit.

It is highly recommended that you contact Canadian immigration authorities directly to discuss your planned visit
to Canada. For a list of Canadian Consulates, Embassies and High Commissions, please refer to:
Immigration Processing Fees
The fee for a work permit is $150 (Cdn). If your spouse/partner applies for an open work permit there will be a
processing fee of $150 (Cdn). All citizens of visa countries ( must
obtain temporary resident visas to enter Canada. Processing fees are charged, however; rates depend on the
number of individuals who apply together, at the same place.

Spouse/Partner Employment
Providing your work permit is valid for at least six months, your spouse/partner may apply for an open work permit
without advance confirmation by Service Canada. The open work permit can be obtained either at the same time, or
after you apply for your own work permit. Your spouse/partner will need to provide evidence supporting his/her
relationship to you. For information, see Spousal Program at

Accompanying Children
If your children accompany you to Canada and will attend school in this country, immigration may require that you
obtain study permits for them. Please contact the nearest Canadian Consulate, Embassy or High Commission for

Health Care Insurance
Providing your work permit is valid for at least one full year, you should normally be able to obtain Alberta Health
Care Insurance. If you will be remaining in Canada for less than one year, it will be your responsibility to obtain
and to produce proof of medical insurance, prior to coming to Canada.

Social Insurance Number and Payment of Financial Assistance
If you do not have a Social Insurance Number (SIN), please obtain one after you have received your work permit.
If you already hold a SIN, please update it after your work permit arrives. For information on SIN’s, please refer to
the following web site:

Inviting Non-Canadians to Canada
If, during your stay in Canada, you would like to invite a foreign national to visit, please contact our University
Immigration Advisor at (780) 492-2796 or by e-mailing, prior to extending the

Before or during your stay in Canada, if there will be changes to: duration of your stay, financial support or the
location/type of activities that you will carry out, please contact the U of A Immigration Advisor before
implementing these changes.

Please present this letter to the admitting Customs/Immigration Officer at the Canadian border crossing or airport.
To help streamline the admission process, you may wish to notify us in advance of your expected date and time of
arrival so that we can advise the Immigration authorities in Canada.

<<insert closing paragraph>>


<<name of U of A Host>>                <<name of Chair/Dean/Director>>

cc Immigration Advisor, Academic Services, 2-60 University Terrace

Those who contravene provisions of Section 127 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (i.e., failure to
disclose (1) possession of a criminal record, (2) previous immigration problems, (3) previous illegal work in
Canada, (4) a serious medical condition or history of an applicant or an accompanying dependent, or (5) failure to
report changes of conditions of work since the issuance of a work permit) are liable for prosecution in the criminal
courts of Canada.

To top