NORTHWEST FLORIDA TRANSPORTATION CORRIDOR AUTHORITY by keara

VIEWS: 34 PAGES: 6

									          NORTHWEST FLORIDA TRANSPORTATION CORRIDOR AUTHORITY
                      EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
                             February 16, 2006

LOCATION: Franklin County Courthouse Annex – Apalachicola, FL

Members Present:    Randall A. McElheney, Chairman
                    Jay A. Odom, Vice Chairman
                    Robert B. Montgomery, Sec/Tres
Staff Present:      Mike Duncan, General Counsel

                                  MEETING MINUTES

1. Chairman McElheney called the meeting to order at 9:10 AM. All Executive
   Committee members present.

2. Executive Director - Chairman McElheney reported that there are five applicants for
   the Executive Director position: Thomas Thompson, Paul Finkelstein, James Davis,
   Bruce Barrett & Edward Denham. Copies of the applications have been distributed
   to all Authority members. The original interview date was March 2nd, however that
   has been rescheduled for March 16th. A process for post-interview actions and
   decisions was discussed and a procedure identified:
       • Presentation of qualifications by interviewee and questions from members.
       • Suggest interviewees leave room
       • Member discussion of interviewees
       • Members individually rank top three in 1, 2, 3 order
       • Final ranking will be identified and adopted
       • Chair will subsequently initiate negotiations with first ranked candidate
   The consensus of the EC was to present this as a recommended process to the full
   Board.
   A related issue is the ability to pay for both the Executive Director and the General
   Counsel. The Chair advised that, according to Secretary Prescott, neither the FDOT
   funds nor the Federal earmark funds could be used for these two costs.

3. Phase 1 Update – Chairman McElheney reported that he had met with FDOT staff
   and PBSJ for a briefing on Phase 1 status. Requested that PBSJ develop information
   that could be utilized for developing overall priorities. This would be presented and
   discussed at a March 2nd Authority Workshop in Panama City as a part of the Master
   Plan Phase 1 Review.

4. LAP Agreement – By consensus, an Old Business item to discuss submittal of the
   LAP Agreement was added to today’s Agenda.

5. Executive Committee adjourned at 9:25 AM.
          NORTHWEST FLORIDA TRANSPORTATION CORRIDOR AUTHORITY
                            MONTHLY MEETING
                             February 16, 2006

LOCATION: Franklin County Courthouse Annex – Apalachicola, FL

Members Present:    Randall A. McElheney, Chairman       T.W. “Maurice” Langston
                    Jay A. Odom, Vice Chairman           Stephen K. Norris
                    Robert B. Montgomery, Sec/Tres       Cheryl K. Sanders
                    James Anders
Staff Present:      Mike Duncan, General Counsel

Members Absent:     Eddie C. Dixon                  H. Edward Prescott – Ex-Officio

                                  MEETING MINUTES

1. Chairman McElheney called the meeting to order at 10:05 AM. A quorum of six
   members was in attendance.

2. Pledge of Allegiance –

3. Welcome – Commissioner Sanders welcomed the Authority to Franklin County. A
   letter from Representative Will Kendrick also welcoming the Authority was read.

4. Approval of Minutes –
   Motion by Mr. Odom; Second by Mr. Montgomery: To approve the Minutes.
   Approved - 7-0

5. Old Business –
   A. Executive Director Update – Chair reported that there are five applicants for the
      Executive Director position: Thomas Thompson, Paul Finkelstein, James Davis,
      Bruce Barrett & Edward Denham. Copies of the applications have been
      distributed to all Authority members. The original interview date was March 2nd,
      however that has been rescheduled for March 16th. The Executive Committee
      developed a recommended process for post-interview actions:
        • Presentation of qualifications by interviewee and questions from members.
        • Suggest interviewees leave room
        • Member discussion of interviewees
        • Members individually rank top three in 1, 2, 3 order
        • Final ranking will be identified and adopted
        • Chair will subsequently initiate negotiations with first ranked candidate
      Motion by Ms. Sanders; Second by Mr. Montgomery: To approve process.
      Approved – 7-0
   B. Master Plan Phase I Update – Chair reported that he had met with FDOT staff
      and PBSJ to review progress. He had requested that two projects be identified
      that could be submitted to the legislative delegation as construction priorities for
      next year. This will be discussed under New Business, later in the meeting. The
      Chair asked Gene Martin & Wiley Page of PBSJ to present the status of Phase 1.
      Mr. Page presented the following:
        • Information regarding over 80 major capacity projects has been assembled
            from various sources
        • Significant volumes of physical data has been assembled, as well as
            multimodal and local project data
        • The body of the report is anticipated to include an Executive Summary, a
            detailed Projects section and a Data section.
        • A draft of the project section layout has been developed
      The next steps will include:
        • Finalize the Draft Report
        • Hold Authority Workshop on Thursday, March 2nd in the Panama City Hall
            from 10 AM to 4 PM.
        Mr. Odom asked if the report will show the current status of each project and
        was advised that it will.
        Ms. Sanders was concerned about selecting and prioritizing two out of more
        than eighty projects. Further, there are only 2 projects for 8 counties. Mr.
        Odom responded that the desire was to identify and accelerate “construction
        ready” projects that would immediately demonstrate progress. The number of
        projects that would satisfy this is very limited.
        Mr. Langston asked if there was a limitation on the number of priority projects.
        The Chair responded that there was not, but the Authority should be careful
        about asking for more projects than can be reasonably included. Chair
        restated that there is an item later on the agenda to more fully discuss this
        issue and take action.

   C. LAP Certification – Chair recognized Mr. Odom who reported that the LAP
      Application had been signed by the Authority and forwarded to FDOT. Approval
      of the Application should be coming soon.

5. New Business -
    A. Franklin County Presentation – Ms. Sanders initiated the presentation of the
       transportation issues facing Franklin County. Franklin County Planner/Director of
       Administration Alan Pierce provided a slide presentation that included the
       following issues:
         • The three major issues facing Franklin County are Hurricane
             Evacuation/Recovery, Environmental Degradation and Development. Each
             of these issues is interrelated with the other.
         • There are several minor traffic issues in Apalachicola that are being worked
             through the FDOT
     •   The major concern is the need to develop a viable alternate to US 98 that
         will allow east-west movement in emergencies when US 98 is impassible.
         Following several recent storms, US 98 was washed out and the detour
         between Carrabelle and Apalachicola was over 100 miles. A viable corridor
         would be located sufficiently inland to usably survive a storm.
   Mr. Odom asked about evacuation time for Franklin County. Mr. Pierce advised
   that the county standard is 8 hours; however actual experience is nearer to 4
   hours.

B. Emerald Coast Bridge Authority – Chair had received a letter from the Okaloosa-
   Walton TPO requesting that the Emerald Coast Bridge Authority and the
   Northwest Florida Transportation Corridor Authority work cooperatively to locate
   and develop the new bridge connection. Chairman Tom Rice of the ECBA is at
   the meeting to update the NWFTCA on the status of the Corridor Study.
   Chairman Rice introduced the ECBA’s consultant, Figg Engineers, to make a
   presentation. Linda Figg gave a detailed presentation describing the three
   potential corridors (Brooks, Hollywood & Wright) and their anticipated impacts
   and costs.
   Mr. Odom inquired as to the action needed from NWFTCA and if it was a request
   to review the progress of the study and provide input. Chairman Rice advised
   that the corridor selection process is nearing completion with an ECBA Board
   Meeting scheduled for March 9th to select the preferred alignment.

   Motion by Mr. Odom; Second by Mr. Langston: To authorize the Chair to send
   a letter asking ECBA to proceed with corridor identification; provide results to
   NWFTCA for review and comment; and, work cooperatively to incorporate
   corridor into US 98 Master Plan
   Approved – 7-0

C. FDOT TRIP 2006 Funding – Chair advised that he had received a letter from
   FDOT announcing the availability TRIP funding for FY 07. This will be discussed
   as a part of the March 2nd Workshop and no action is required at this time.

D. Legislative Priorities – Chair advised that there is a need to identify legislative
   priorities as discussed earlier in the meeting. He introduced Consultant Gene
   Martin to discuss potential projects for advancement. Mr. Martin identified two
   potential projects:
     • US 331 Construction from US 98 to S. End of Bridge – The project is
         currently in the R/W Acquisition phase. A legislative request could be made
         for construction funding for FY 07. Jim DeVries of FDOT advised that the
         final permitting process for this project had not been initiated and
         construction was currently programmed for FY 08. Advancing this schedule
         should be carefully considered.
        •   Phase 2 – Gulf to Bay Connector Construction – Currently, there is R/W
            needed from 2 owners, Gulf Power Corp. & St. Joe Land. The development
            of the road is being managed by Opportunity Florida, but a governmental
            agency must be identified as the ultimate owner. This must occur before
            permit applications can be submitted. Potential owners include Gulf County,
            FDOT and the Authority.
      Mr. Norris suggested that an action might be taken to request that FDOT assume
      ownership of Gulf to Bay. It was agreed that this should be a discussion issue
      between the Chair and Secretary Prescott at a meeting anticipated to occur in
      the next week.
      Motion by Mr. Anders; Second by Mr. Norris: To set the two projects as
      priorities.
      Approved – 7-0
      Further discussion resulted in some modification to this action.
      Motion by Mr. Odom; Second by Mr. Montgomery: To authorize the Chair to
      make the specific request to the Legislative Delegation for the Priority Projects
      and to request sufficient funds to complete the Master Plan.
      Approved – 7-0
      Further discussion resulted in some additional modification to this action.
      Motion by Mr. Norris; Second by Mr. Langston: To authorize the Chair to
      include in the specific request an additional request for the Legislature to provide
      adequate administrative funding for the Authority.
      Approved – 7-0

6. Public Comment –
    A. Mayor Mike Anderson of Ft. Walton Beach addressed the Authority relative to the
       City’s concerns with the actions of the Emerald Coast Bridge Authority. Mayor
       Anderson presented a letter and resolution from the City opposing the Hollywood
       Corridor specifically and expressing concern with the all proposed alternatives.
       The City feels that there may well be some solutions that do not involve major
       bridge construction.
    B. Mr. Don Ashley, a resident of St. George Island, recommended that the Authority
       carefully consider plans for project development in the US 98 Corridor. They
       should seek a high level of public input and develop Community Impact
       Statements.
    C. Mr. Dan Tonsmeire, Riverkeeper and Executive Director, questioned the Master
       Plan process, specifically whether the Master Plan was a final document. Chair
       responded that the Master Plan would be periodically updated.
    D. Ms. Glenda Glover of Ft. Walton Beach provided a petition signed by residents of
       Ft. Walton Beach objecting to the ECBA alternatives.

Next Meeting: March 2, 2006, 10 AM in Panama City, FL. The meeting will be held in
              the Commission Chambers at City Hall.
7. Adjournment –
        Motion by Mr. Montgomery; Second by Mr. Anders: To Adjourn
       Approved – 7-0 at 12:15 PM

								
To top