Position: Mental Health Intake Practitioner
Permanent Full-time Position
Health Services Department, North Vancouver, BC
Posted: February 17, 2010 Posting Closes: March 11, 2010
Reporting to the Manager, Community Health & Wellness this master’s level position provides
assessment, triage, referrals and counselling to Squamish Nation membership in need of mental health
services. As the first point of contact, the position provides members referred to the Community Health
and Wellness division with immediate and short-term counselling as well as direction on next steps. This
role includes crisis intervention and follow-up services to clients and families as required. The incumbent
reacts in response to the needs of client and provides referrals that take into careful consideration the
client’s family environment and other personal circumstances in order to choose the most appropriate
health care providers, physicians, community agencies or internal Squamish Nation resources.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
• Intakes new clients as required.
• Provides immediate clinical assessments of members in need.
• Provides crisis counselling as needed.
• Provides referrals for clients.
• Participates in interdisciplinary case management.
• Educates and coordinates programs for community members.
• Ensures that accurate program and client records are maintained.
• Attends work-related conferences and seminars.
• Maintains liaisons with government officials, other professionals and the community.
• Participates as member of the Community Health and Wellness; and Health Services teams.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
• Masters Degree from recognized institution specializing in Social Work, Counselling Psychology or
Nursing or relevant / related field.
• Related Degree from field as listed above may be considered; and if hired, incumbent will be required
to complete Masters Degree within a period of time to be determined at time of hiring.
• Plus Seven (7) years directly related experience in areas of specialties including mental health
counselling, community health services, relationship building, wellness plan development and
implementation, traditional healing methods, intervention strategies, etc.
• As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term
upgrading, training and courses relating to clinical assessments, crisis counselling, community health
program coordination, etc.
• Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
• Must be able to travel.
• Must have a valid BC Drivers License Class 4 or 5 (Class 7N may be considered).
• Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance.
• Must be able to provide a valid Criminal Records Check.
Salary: As per Squamish Nation Performance & Compensation Strategy.
Send Application To: Rae Anne Claxton
Recruiting Admin Coordinator Application MUST Include:
Human Resources Cover Letter & Resume
336 West 4th Street 3 letters of reference
North Vancouver, BC from direct supervisors
V7M 1J1 Official copies of school records
No faxes will be accepted
Or Email: email@example.com
ONLY APPLICANTS WITH RELEVANT TRAINING & EXPERIENCE WILL BE CONTACTED FOR AN INTERVIEW
Chen Chen Stway Human Resources
336 West 4th Street, North Vancouver, BC V7M 1J1 Tel 604-985-8335