UAA Recycle Program
By: Tyler Morris
• The Recycle Program has moved their
operations from the student government
(USUAA) to the Sustainability Office
under the Administrative Services
• What has changed?
• Location of the website
• Direct overview from a staff member
(UAA Sustainability Director)
• Location of our office/HQ
What Hasn’t Changed:
• Mixed paper & cardboard recycling is still
collected by UAA students.
• The e-mail address for the recycle program is
• The program will continue weekly recycle
pickups on the main campus, and at the
same locations within the buildings.
Recycling in Your Building:
• How does it work?
• When do we pick up recycling?
• What if we want another bin?
• What resources are available?
How does it work?
• Recycling at UAA is a joint effort between the
recycle workers and the staff, faculty and
• If staff, faculty and students want to recycle,
they must put their mixed paper and/or
cardboard in a blue recycle bin. It might take
a little effort on their part, but if they are
willing, it can really make a difference in the
How it works (cont.)
• If an office or department on campus
recycles, they usually have one large blue
recycle bin located in a central area (usually
in the copyroom/mailroom).
• Staff and faculty normally have a box or bin
that fits under a desk or in their workspace,
and whenever the box or bin gets full, they
take it and dump it into the central recycle bin.
• Sometimes it’s close enough to even take
recycling from their desk or work area directly
to the central recycle bin.
How does it work (cont.)
• Finally, for the main on-campus
buildings, the recycling is collected from
the central bins by the recycle crew, and
is handled by us and the recycle center
from there on out.
When do we pick up
• Recycling gets collected every Friday (unless
the campus is closed) for on-campus
• Recycling for off-campus buildings gets
collected on a weekday, and varies from
semester to semester depending on class
and school schedules. For this Spring 09
semester, recycling for off-campus buildings
is collected on Wed.
• If you notice that an office/department in
your building is without easy access to a
centrally located recycle bin, please
contact us via e-mail or phone call, and
we’ll try to deliver a bin within a couple
Medium size bins
Qui ckTi me™ and a QuickTime™ an d a
are ne ede d to see thi s pi cture. decompressor
are need ed to see this picture .
Quic kTim e™ and a
Large size QuickTime™ and a
are needed to s ee this pic ture. are needed to see this picture.
• List of central recycle bins in your
• Building maps with bin locations and a
picture of the bin within it’s general
• Weekly lbs. of mixed paper recycling in
your building for 07-08 school year
Sally Monserud Hall Professional Studies Building Second Floor
Journalism Department 201
LRC Computer Lab 111 First Floor 2 small bins and 1 larger bin by entry
1 medium bin under main printer Nurses Break and Storage Room 103M
1 large bin by entryway Department of English 212
LRC Department 2 small bins in copy room
1 medium bin in front of the main desk Offices 102 &104 A-J and A-D 1 large bin, and 2 bagit racks in hallways
1 medium bin by hallway copier
Tutor Lab College of Education 209
1 medium bin by entryway KRUA Office 158 1 small cardboard box in copy room 209C
1 small bin by entry doorway
Nursing Computer Lab 146A 1 medium bin by entryway
1 medium bin
Computer Lab 218
1 medium bin by entryway
1 big bin and 1 medium bin
College of Education 234
1 medium bin by printer/copier
Building maps and bin pics.
QuickTime™ and a QuickTime™ and a
are neede d to se e this picture. are neede d to se e this picture.
Recycle lbs. for each building
07-08 school year
Arlis CAS Admin Arts Eng. Student U AHS SMB PSB GHH RH ESH
80 160 10 14 4 33 10 17 30 12 11 17
80 10 27 Total: 53 27 20 27 26 24 7 Total:
35 21 21 14 51 14 Total: 5 14 7 28 17
60 8 17 49 17 30 13 11 2 12
68 12 9 Total: 28 16 13 Total: 16
22 9 8 157 17 11 7 45 22
19 11 31 19 Total: 12 12
45 7 27 21 89 21 18
55 13 Total: 15 3 Total:
16 12 150 Total: 26 126
15 24 191 23
36 Total: 13
60 287 16
748 Grand Total: 1356
Grand Total: 734