Prisons by Levone


									Prisons                                            Jails                                                  Loudon County Jail (703) 777-0408
                                                                                                          Lunenburg County Jail (434) 696-4452
                                                                                                          Lynchburg Adult Detention (434) 847-1300
                                                   Accomack County (757) 787-1095                         Lynchburg Jail (434) 847-1300, OR 3100
Augusta Correctional Center(540) 997-7000
                                                   Albemarle/Charlottesville Reg. Jail (434) 977-6981     Manassas City Jail (703) 792-6420
Baskerville Correctional Center(434) 447-
                                                   Alexandria City Jail(703) 838-4017, 4440,              Martinsville City (276) 656-5267
                                                   Alleghany County Jail (540) 965-1770 (540) 962-2221    Mecklenburg County Jail (434) 738-6171
Botetourt Correctional Center (540) 857-7021
                                                   Amelia County Sheriff’s office (804) 561-2118          Middle Peninsula Regional – Saluda, VA Middlesex
Bland Correctional Center276) 688-3341
                                                   Amherst County (434) 946-9379                          Co. Mathews, Co, Essex Co, King and Queen and
Brunswick Correctional Center(434) 848-4131
                                                   Appomattox Jail (434) 352-8241,                        King William (804)758-2338
Buckingham Correctional Center (434) 391-5980
                                                   Arlington County Jail (703) 228-4487,4470, 7286        Moneta Adult Detention (540) 297-7648
Coffeewood Correctional Center(540) 829-6483
                                                   Bath County Jail (540) 839-2375                        Nelson County Jail (434) 263-4242
Deerfield Correctional Center (434) 658-4368
                                                   Bedford County Adult Detention (540) 587-9282          New River Valley Regional Jail Dublin VA Giles Cou
Deep Meadow Correctional (804) 598-5503
                                                   Bedford County Jail Annex (540) 297-7648               Carroll, Floyd Co, Radford Grayson Co Wythe Co,
Dillwyn Correctional Center(434) 983-5034
                                                   Blue Ridge Regional Jail Lynchburg (434) 847-3100      Pulaski Co (540) 643-2024
Fluvanna Correctional Center(434) 984-3700
                                                   Blue Ridge Regional Jail – Halifax (434) 476-5500      Newport News City Farm (757) 369-8900
Greensville Correctional Center (434) 535-7000
                                                   Blue Ridge Adult Detention – Bedford (540) 587-9282    Newport News Jail (757) 926-8169,
Haynesville Correctional Center (804) 333-3577
                                                   Blue Ridge Regional Jail – Moneta (540) 297-7648       Norfolk Detention Home (757) 461-5510, 5115
Indian Creek Correctional Center (757) 421-0095
                                                   Blue Ridge Regional Jail Campbell co. (434) 332-9583   Norfolk City Jail (757) 664- 4700
James River Correctional Center(804) 784-3551
                                                   Botetourt County Jail (540) 473-8202                   Norfolk City Detention (757) 441-5667
Keen Mountain Correctional (276) 498-7411
                                                   Brunswick County Jail (434) 848-6012                   Northern Neck Reg-Jail Warsaw, (804)333-6419
Lawrenceville Correctional (434) 848-9349
                                                   Buchanon County Jail (276) 935-2314                    Northwest Regional Jail (540) 665-6374
Lunenburg Correctional Center(434) 696-2045
                                                   Buckingham Correctional Center (434) 983-3011          Northumberland County(804) 580-5221
Marion Treatment Center(276) 783-7154
                                                   Brunswick Jail (434) 848-6012                          Northhampton County (757) 678-0460
Mecklenburg Correctional Center (434) 738-6114
                                                   Campbell County Adult Detention (434) 332-9583         Page County Jail (540) 743-1236
Nottoway Correctional Center(434) 767-5543
                                                   Central Regional Jail Fluvanna Co, Greene Co,          Pamunkey Regional Jail Hanover (804) 537-6400
Petersburg Federal Correctional (804) 733-7881
                                                   Louisa Co, Madison Co, Orange Co (540) 672-3222        Patrick County Jail (276) 694-3161
Powhatan Correctional Center(804) 598-4251
                                                   Northwest Regional Jail (540) 665-6374                 Petersburg City Jail (804) 733-2377, 2369
Pulaski Correctional Center (540) 831-5840
                                                   Charlotte County Jail (434) 542-5141                   Petersburg City Jail Farm (804) 733-2378
Red Onion State Prison(276) 796-7510
                                                   Charlottesville Albemarle Regional (434) 977-6981      Peumansend CreekBowling Green(804) 633-0043
Southampton Correctional Center(434) 658-4174
                                                   Chesapeake City Jail (757) 382-6159                    Piedmont Jail Farmville (434) 392-1601,
St. Brides Correctional Center (757) 421-7141
                                                   Chesterfield Jail (804) 768 7344                       Pittsylvania County (434) 432-2041
Sussex I State Prison (804) 834-9967
                                                   Chesterfield Men’s Diversion (804) 796-4242            Portsmouth City Jail (757) 393-8210, 8295,
Sussex II State Prison(804) 834-2678
                                                   Culpeper County Jail (540) 727 7900                    Rappa Hannock County Jail (540) 675-5300
Virginia Correctional for Women (804) 784-3582
                                                   Danville City Jail (434) 799-5135, 799-5233            Rappahannock Regional Jail , Frederisckburg
Wallens Ridge State Prison (276) 523-3310
                                                   Dickenson County Jail (276) 926-1600                   Stafford- (540) 288-5281,
                                                   Dinwiddie County Jail (804) 469- 4550                  Richmond City Jail (804) 646-4464
                                                   Diversion Center – Richmond . (804) 371-0606
Correctional Centers                               Fairfax County Jail (703) 246-2100, REC:246-4423
                                                                                                          Richmond city Jail Lock Up (804) 646-6692
                                                                                                          Riverside Reg. Jail, Hopewell, VA, Chesterfield, Co,
                                                   Fauquier County Jail Warrenton (540) 347-6837          Colonial Heights, PR. George (804) 524-6600
Chatham Correctional Center (434) 432-7201         Franklin County (540) 483-3000                         Roanoke City Jail (540) 853-2331
Chesterfield Women’s Diversion (804) 796-4242      Gloucester Jail (804) 693-3890 (804) 784-3585          Roanoke County Jail – Salem VA (540) 387-6141,
Caroline Correctional Unit #2 (804) 994-2161       Greensville Correctional Center (434) 535-7021         Rockbridge Reg. Jail Lexington (540)464-1188
Cold Springs Corr. Unit #10 (540) 337-1818         Halifax County (434) 476-5500                          Rockingham Jail Harrisonburg, (540) 564-3800
Dinwiddie Correctional Unit #27 (804) 265-5744     Hampton City Jail (757) 727-6760                       Russell County Jail (276) 889-8033
Halifax Correctional Unit #23(434) 572-2683        Hampton Roads Regional Jail (757) 488-7500             Salem House Detention VA Beach (757) 471-0140
Haynesville Correctional Unit #17 (804) 333-3577   Harrisonburg Correctional 540) 833-2011                Scott County Jail (276) 386-3722
Patrick Henry Corr. Unit #28 (276) 957-2234        Haymarket Correctional (703) 754-4216                  Shenandoah Coun JailWoodstock(540) 459-6120
Pocahontas Correctional Unit #13 (804) 796-4277    Henrico County Jail West (804) 501-4581                Shenandoah Valley Det.Staunton(540) 886-0729
Rustburg Correctional Unit #9 (434) 332-7354       Henrico County Jail East (804) 652-1212, 1100          Southampton Coun.Jail Courtland,(757) 653-2157
Staunton Correctional Center (540)332-7500         Henry County Jail (276) 656-4290, 4286, 4270           Southampton County Jail Annex (434) 658-3110
Tazewell Correctional Unit #31 (276) 988-4701      Highlands County Jail (540) 468-2210                   Southside Jail – Greeneville (434) 634-2254
Wise Correctional Unit #18 (276) 395-2384          Lancaster County (804) 462-5111                        St. Bride’s Corr.Chesapeake (757) 421-7141
White Post Correctional Center (540) 868-7026      Lee County Jail (276) 346-1131                         Stafford County Detention (540) 659-2093
Stafford Sheriff’s Office (540) 658-4432               Virginia Department of Corrections
Staunton City Jail (540) 245-5338
Sussex Correctional Center (804) 834-9967
                                                       (804) 674-3000 P.O. Box 26963 Richmond, VA
                                                       23261-6963 TTY Number: (804) 674-3007
                                                                                                                           Tips for people
Sussex County Jail (434) 246-5361
Tazewell County Jail (276) 988-5966
                                                       Ombudsman Services Unit – P.O. Box 26963
                                                                                                                        who are incarcerated
Tazewell Correctional Center (276) 988-4701
Tidewater Correctional Unit (757) 683-2813
Tidewater Juvenile Detention (757) 382-8810
                                                       Richmond, VA 23261 804-674-3014 Investigate
                                                       and attempt to resolve grievances at appeal level
                                                                                                                       that have experienced
Timber Ridge Winchester VA (540) 888-3456
Turning Point (804) 524-7075
                                                       of inmates assigned to VA Dept. of Corrections
                                                       institutes (adult only); internal monitoring of                   physical abuse or
Virginia Beach City Jail                               prisoner rights within DOC
Virginia Peninsula, Williamsburg, James City, York
County (757) 820-3900
                                                       Office of Investigations – 804-674-3023                            medical neglect
WallensRidge Correctional Center(276) 523-3310
Warren County Jail (540) 635-4128                      Outside Advocacy
Washington County Jail (276) 676-6250
Western Tidewater Jail- Suffolk,Isle of Wight,
                                                                                                                        A resource for people in
                                                       VA POVERTY LAW CENTER 804 - 782 - 9430
Franklin (757)539-3119                                 201 West Broad Street, Suite 302                                 prisons, jails, their loved
Wise County Jail (276) 431-8000
                                                       Richmond, Virginia 23220
                                                       University of Virginia Law School
                                                                                                                          ones and advocates.
Juvenile Detention Centers                             Pro Bono Criminal Project 580 Massie Road
                                                       Room 158D Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-1789
                                                       Resource Information and Help for the
Alexandria Juvenile Det. (703) 751-3700
Chesterfield Juvenile Detention (804) 748-1460
                                                       Disadvantaged P.O.B. 55 Highland Springs, VA
CFW Juvenile Center (540) 722-6174                     23075 (804)
Crater Juvenile Detention, Petersburg (804) 732-4031
Culpeper County Juvenile CTR (540) 727-3333            Prisoners and Families for Equal Rights and
Green House Juvenile Detention. (804) 733-0222         Justice, Inc – P.O. Box 25694 Richmond, VA
Henrico Juvenile Detention (804) 501-4946, 4944        23260 Phone 804-573-2519
Elk Hill Juvenile Group Home (804) 457-4866            Citizens United for Rehabilitation of Errants -
Fairfax Juvenile Detention (703) 246-2844              Virginia, Inc. (Virginia C.U.R.E.) P.O. Box 19453
Highlands Juvenile Detention (276) 466-4131
Juvenile Locator (804)371-0700
                                                       Alexandria, VA 22320-0453 Phone/fax: 703-765-
Loudon Juvenile Detention (703) 771-5200               6549
Lynchburg Juvenile Detention (434) 847-1635
Merrimac Juvenile Detention Center (757) 887-0225      Thanks to the people in prison for sharing their advice
Mountain Woods JV – Charlottesville (434) 971-8245     and to the advocacy organizations that also gave input
New River Valley Juvenile Detention (540) 382-6181     and guidance. If you have suggestions, tips, or would
Newport News JV Detention Center 757 926 8717          like more copies of this pamphlet please contact:
Northern Virginia JV Detention Home (703) 751-3700
Prince William Juvenile Det (703) 791-3181
Rappahannock Juvenile Detention (540) 371-4727             Human Rights Coalition -FedUp!
Richmond City Juvenile Ctr. (804) 646-3462             5125 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15224 --
Roanoke Juvenile Detention (540) 981-2271
                                                                                                                            -Virginia Edition-
W.W. Moore Home-Juveniles, Danville(434)799-5295

                                                       HRC-FedUp! was co-founded by prisoners and their support
Code of Virginia Searchable Database                   networks to address issues of abuse and medical neglect while        made with volunteer labor
Website with VA Code on it                             incarcerated. We are currently focused on issues in
                                                       Pennsylvania and Virginia.
                                                                                                                                  copy at will
Instructions for Filing a Regular Grievance Form
this information was taken from the actual grievance form and the definitions from VA DOC website

According to the code of the state of Virginia, “it shall be unlawful for the Board or any other
correctional authority having the care, custody or control of any prisoner in this Commonwealth
to make or enforce any rule or regulation providing for the whipping, flogging or administration
of any similar corporal punishment of any prisoner, or to give any specific order for or to cause
to be administered or personally to administer or inflict any such corporal punishment.”

If you have experienced such abuses or medical neglect in the state of Virginia you are
required per Division operating Procedure 866 “Inmate Grievance Procedure” to attempt to
resolve your complaint in good faith prior to filing a grievance. The institutional Implementation
Memorandum 866 details the informal process to use. If the good faith method does not solve
the problem, then you should file a grievance keeping in mind that you must submit your
grievance within 30 days from the date of the incident or the date in which you
discovered the incident. Only one issue per grievance will be addressed. Write your issue
only in the space provided on the grievance form, preferably in ink. Regular grievances are
submitted through the institutional mail to the Warden/Superintendent’s office and unless
returned during intake (see the next paragraph) a receipt should be issued within 2 working
days from date the grievance was received.

You can also file an emergency grievance. Emergencies are defined as situations or
conditions which may subject the inmate to immediate risk of serious personal injury or
irreparable harm.

Grievances should be accepted for logging unless they are returned. If returned, they will
indicate the reason why it was not accepted and if you disagree with the decision to return
your grievance, you have 5 calendar days from the date of receipt to submit to the Regional
Ombudsman for a review of the intake decision. According to the code of Virginia, the
Ombudsman’s role is to “assist management and administration in providing quality assurance
to curtail unnecessary inmate litigation and unnecessary expenses to the citizens of Virginia by
monitoring the Department's Inmate Grievance Procedure and providing investigative services
for Levels I and II of the Procedure.” The Regional Ombudsman’s decision is final. Your
institution should provide the necessary addresses.

You are also able to withdrawal a grievance but by doing so you agree that there will be no
further action on the issue nor will you be able to file any other grievance in the future on the
The following guidelines have been written by people who
are currently incarcerated in Pennsylvania, augmented
by prisoners in Virginia and advocates.
   1. Follow the correct procedure for filing a grievance at your facility. Remember: you must exhaust all available
administrative remedies (i.e"( i.e. pursue the issues you're complaining about through all levels of appeal available in your
institutions' grievance procedure, such as on complaints of alleged deliberate indifference to one's medical needs/physical
abuse, etc.) before you can pursue federal litigation according to the Prison Litigation Reform Act (PLRA). Virginia has a
similar requirement under state laws regarding claims you may file in its state courts."
   2. It is also a good idea to contact the Medical Director and Health Care Administrator for your prison to see what their
knowledge of the situation is and if they can help. It is most effective if a family member or loved one can make that call. If
you’re outside support person is not a blood relative they may have to be authorized to discuss your medical records. This
involves more paperwork but is possible. Keep in mind, even if the staff is not authorized to share information with you over
the phone, you can share information with them. Let them know what you know about the situation. If you have absolutely
no support, ask a friend if part of their support team would be willing to aid you. Also, try contacting outside organizations.
   3. If you have experienced physical abuse try to see medical staff and get documentation if available. Have your support
team call your counselor, chaplain, unit manager and the warden to discuss the incident. Try one at a time. You should also
keep in mind that medical staff may try to minimize the seriousness of your injuries. Many of them will do this to protect
abusive guards from litigation by making your injuries seem 'de- minimus.' By making your injuries seem like minor abuses,
you may fail to meet the requirement of 'seriousness' that federal law requires to establish a constitutional violation.
Therefore, you may want to have a family member become involved to ensure your injuries are properly addressed and
documented. Again, a family member will be most effective at making this call.
   4. Tips for the support person on making calls - Try to avoid sounding accusatory on the phone. Counselors are good
people to build relationships with as they are supposed to advocate for your loved one although they are not in charge of
security or the grievance process. Often times they have such a huge caseload they are not sure who your loved one is and
often times they can provide you with information. Calling the prison and building relationships with the staff no matter how
hard it seems lets the administrators and staff know, that you are out there paying attention. It is good to know where your
loved one in prison is in the grievance procedure. For example, this way you can say: “They have reached this stage of the
grievance procedure, nothing is being done. I am concerned, what can I do to make sure my loved one is all right? I am
worried, This is what I know what do you know?” It’s best to call before 3pm. If you don’t have long distance and/or it is
hard for you to make calls because of your work schedule contact an outside organization for possible help.
   5. Make copies of all actions you take. Keep one and try to get at least one copy of everything you do to someone you
trust on the outside.
   6. Make sure to educate yourself on your medical problem(s) or prescriptions prescribed – this can mean doing your own
research and/or getting someone to do it for you or assist you. You can use this information in your efforts to get the
institutions medical personnel to address your concerns. You must be your own medical assistant! If the issue is medical
care and you have a chronic condition for which you received treatment on the outside, ask your former doctor to write a
letter to the prison health staff inquiring about the person's care or to make a phone call to the prison on the person's behalf.
Also when researching and seeking info on one’s medical condition/disease, consider connecting with local agencies for info,
resources and advice near their prison as a relationship building possibility.
   7. Try not to adopt a hostile attitude towards staff members but also never blindly accept what they say to be true without
confirmation from other sources (i.e. the research you’ve done).
   8. Also, don’t be afraid to complain! Officials will often try to discourage you from
complaining and pressure you to drop your complaints. Remember, if you do not exhaust your administrative remedies- by
either refusing to complain or dropping your complaints- you will not be able to litigate the matter.
   9. Medical malpractice suits should be filed in a state court as the standard of proof is higher in federal court. While it is
true medical malpractice cases have a lower standard than deliberate indifference cases in federal courts, in PA, one needs to
get another medical professional to certify that the treatment fell below the standard of care. There is an exception to this if
the medical care was so negligent that it is obviously below the standard of care.
   10. If you have experienced physical abuse and are in state institution, you may want to contact the Office of the
Secretary of Public Safety P.O. Box 1475 Richmond, VA 23218 (804) 786-5351
   11. Get involved with street organizations that represent prisoners’ rights/health but also do not solely rely on them.
Instead, mainly rely on family or any friend you can interest for support and they can also network with the street
organizations in helping you. See Resources elsewhere in the guide
   12 .Last of all, and very importantly, make smart decisions and keep yourself as healthy as possible by not smoking, eating
well, exercising, and doing things that make you feel good – physically, mentally and emotionally.

To top