PPP / INFRASTRUCTURE
Specialists of Goltsblat BLP/Berwin Leighton Paisner are proud to introduce both knowledge and
expertise brought together in executing PPP/Infrastructure projects.
Depending on its specifics every PPP project is supported by a group of lawyers led by dedicated,
long-standing industry specialists, allowing us to tailor our services in this field and provide insights and wider
contacts to our clients. We have substantial experience in all aspects of PPP/Infrastructure, from corporate
and tax structuring to financing and regulatory.
Our extensive legislative drafting experience allows us to work confidently on any projects involving
amendments to the legislation, as well as practical implementation of laws and regulations in the field.
We support different public and private initiatives undertaken in the PPP field for developing an appropriate
legislative framework and establishing a professional society for PPP activities (projects). For example, we
cooperate with the PPP Centre established under Vneshekonombank.
Our specialists have taken an active part in a number of large-scale projects in delivering a full range
of services some of which are outlined below.
Areas of expertise:
▪ Regulatory aspects of natural resources
▪ Corporate and tax structuring advice and documentation, including JV and consortium operations
▪ Corporate finance and project finance advice and documentation
▪ Tender documentation support
▪ Full support of paperwork within a PPP/Infrastructure project
▪ Concession agreements advice and documentation
▪ Legal advice on land and real estate aspects
▪ Full legal support of construction activity
▪ Advice on contractual arrangements for operational contracts and system
▪ Full support on employment matters of the consortium activity and operation
▪ Tax advice
In order to advise on a concrete PPP/Infrastructure project, it is imperative for legal advisers to have
a detailed understanding of infrastructure projects. We believe that our extensive experience in a broad range
of areas means that the service we offer is second to none, as the list of credentials below demonstrates:
OUR SELECTED EXPERIENCE IN PPP/INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS:
▪ UK Military Flying Training System PFI — c£6bn. VT Group/Lockheed Martin Consortium.
Advised the ASCENT Consortium, the preferred bidder on the UKMFTS Project to provide and procure
flight training from the Army, Navy and Air Force.
▪ Advised Hochtief AirPort GmbH on legal matters related to the setting up and operation of a PPP, by
entering into respective concession agreement in connection with the international tender for selecting
a partner for a PPP arrangement, for the purpose of development (complex reconstruction and
modernization) of air transport infrastructure of the Pulkovo Airport JSC in St. Petersburg.
▪ Strategic Sealift Service — £150m. A.W.S.R. Shipping Consortium. Advised the sponsors on
the private financing for the delivery of a strategic sealift service for the MoD by means of six new
build Roll-on Roll-off Vessels. The first worldwide PPP shipping project.
▪ Acted for a consortium bidding for the “Moscow - St. Petersburg toll motorway from 15th up
to 58th km” (Stage 1) and “A new gate to the Moscow Ring Road from the Federal highway M1”
▪ North Staffordshire Hospitals — £358m. University Hospital of North Staffordshire. Advised
the NHS on the major PFI project for the redevelopment of hospital facilities over two sites. The
project involved a complex managed equipment service and was partly EIB funded.
▪ Represented Sheremetievo International Airport towards a consortium of banks in the US$222m
project of reconstruction of one of the terminals: corporate, securities, real estate, tax, finance, antitrust,
public tenders and matters.
▪ North Middlesex Hospital — £111m. Boouygues/Ecovert/HSBC Infrastructure Consortium.
Advised the sponsors in relation to the PFI redevelopment of this major teaching hospital. This project
comprised both new build and ongoing maintenance of retained buildings.
▪ Participation in drafting a legislative frame work on Federal laws concerning Sochi–2014 Winter
Olympics: PPP, construction, land/property withdrawal for state needs, infrastructure, environmental
issues, public tenders and land allocation.
▪ Olympic Delivery Authority. Olympic Village & Legacy Infrastructure. Advising the Olympic
Delivery Authority on the procurement of the Olympic Athletes’ Village and legacy infrastructure in advance
of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
▪ Participated in preliminary consultations on the project for reconstruction of the housing and utilities
infrastructure on a PPP basis in Bashkiria.
▪ Refurbishment of the Treasury Building HQ — £122m and £165m. HM Treasury and HM
Customs/Inland Revenue. Advised central Government on two projects to refurbish this Grade I listed
Whitehall building. The first project was the subject of a unique and innovative funding competition.
▪ Implemented state-level projects financed by the federal budget - our legal support to one of the major
international electronics, household appliances and medical equipment manufacturers within the framework
of a project for supplying medical technology and equipment to Russia.
▪ Doncaster Schools — £50m. Vinci/Barclays Private Equity Consortium. Advised the sponsors on
the private financing and development of two new major schools in Doncaster, with associated services.
▪ Advised Philips on major supplies of medical equipment to state medical institutions, the estimated project
value being €6bn.
▪ Ministry of Defence Estate (project MoDEL) - £180m. Barclays Bank plc. Advised the senior
funder on this PPP project for the rationalisation of the Ministry’s estate in North London. Winner of the
Judge’s award for innovation at the Public Private Finance Awards 2007.
▪ Advised a number of major insurance companies (including AON Rus) on aspects of government orders/
public procurement projects (on choosing ways to hold tenders, preparing tender documentation and
taking part in tenders, etc.).
▪ Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft Project — £13bn. VT Group plc. Advised VT Group as shareholder
in the preferred bidder Air Tanker Consortium and as major sub-contractor. The project will provide 14 new
aircraft delivering air to air refuelling for the Army, Navy and Air Force.
▪ Advised Transnefteproduct on financing-related aspects of its multimillion pipeline construction project.
▪ Austrian PPP Motorway Project — €2bn. ASFiNAG. Advised ASFiNAG, the Government agency
responsible for Austria’s roads, to develop three new toll motorways in the country. Phase 1 of 4 reached
financial close in early 2007.
▪ Turks & Caicos Islands Hospitals — c.US$120m. Interhealth Canada/HSBC Infrastructure
Consortium. Advised the preferred bidder on an innovative project involving the construction of two new
hospitals and provision of a full range of clinical services.
▪ Prague Military Hospital — €25m. Central Military Hospitals. Advising the procuring authority
on the construction and operation of a new hospital facilities with dedicated military beds.
Andrey Goltsblat, Ekaterina Dedova, Head of group,
Managing Partner, Corporate/M&A, Moscow
Corporate/M&A, Investment Projects, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anton Sitnikov, Partner, Evgeny Danilov, Head of group,
Head of Corporate/M&A, Moscow Corporate/M&A, Moscow
Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vitaly Mozharowski, Partner, Ian Ivory, Partner,
Real Estate & Construction, Moscow Corporate Finance, Restructuring,
Email: email@example.com Moscow
Elena Barinova, Partner, Laurence Rogers, Partner,
Real Estate Investment Project Finance, Restructuring, Moscow
and Finance, Moscow Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Simon Allan, Partner, Robert Gross, Partner,
Head of Finance, London London
Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Goltsblat BLP, the first Russian international law firm, was established as REPRESENTATIVE CLIENT LIST*
a result of a merger between one of the largest teams of Russian lawyers and a
leading UK law firm Berwin Leighton Paisner (BLP). AMT&C Group
Berwin Leighton Paisner (BLP) is a leading City full-service law firm and the Aker Solutions
UK Law Firm of the Year 2008 according to Chambers Europe. Besides Moscow Alcoa
office of Goltsblat BLP, BLP has a total of 1200 staff, including 660 lawyers and
180 partners and offices in London, Abu Dhabi, Brussels, Paris and Singapore. BLP
has market-leading capabilities in corporate, finance, dispute resolution, real Brunswick Rail Leasing
estate and tax according to The Legal 500 and Chambers UK directories. The Coca-Cola
firm’s clients include many FTSE 100 companies, as well as leading financial and
public sector institutions.
Goltsblat BLP has more than 70 attorneys, including eleven partners. Goltsblat
BLP offers a unique combination of the leading Russian and English law Efes
capabilities - a genuinely integrated service for Russian and international clients Guardian
investing in the Russian market, as well as for Russian clients investing globally. Harry’s
The firm provides exceptional local (Russian) legal advice in all spheres of
business as might be needed and comprehensive legal support for cross-border Joint Stock Commercial Bank
transactions. “International Financial Club"
Goltsblat BLP’s key areas of expertise include: corporate/M&A, corporate Johnson & Johnson
recovery and restructuring, dispute resolution, insolvency and bankruptcy, Kimberly-Clark
commercial, competition and antitrust, real estate and construction, finance, Komatsu
public-private partnership (PPP)/ infrastructure, intellectual property/IT,
employment, pensions and benefits, customs, indirect taxation & foreign Kronospan
exchange, tax consulting/tax litigation, legal support for foreign direct investment Lafarge
projects in Russia, energy and natural resources, environmental, LG International Corp.
English and international law solicitors in the office support finance, corporate
finance, real estate and infrastructure, and work closely with lawyers in BLP’s
London office. Mars
Goltsblat BLP provides clients with a “one stop shop”, where traditionally they
may have used two different firms, and will be able to provide comprehensive Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
legal support throughout Russia, CIS countries, as well as globally, in conjunction Multon
with BLP’s wider international capabilities.
Nissan / Russia
Rising Star Media
MOSCOW LONDON Rolf
Capital City Complex Adelaide House RusBrand
Moscow City Business Centre London Bridge
8, Presnenskaya Nab., Bldg.1
RUSNANO (Russian Corporation
London EC4R 9HA of Nanotechnologies)
Moscow 123100, Russia United Kingdom
Tel.: +7 495 287 44 44 Sick AG
Tel.: +44 (0)20 7760 1000
Fax: +7 495 287 44 45 Fax: +44 (0)20 7760 1111 Sistema-Hals
Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Solae / DuPont
William Grant & Sons
www.gblplaw.com www.blplaw.com * All names are disclosed with the permission of