Transceiver by fjwuxn


A transceiver is a device that has both a transmitter
and a receiver which are combined and share common
circuitry or a single housing. If no circuitry is common
between transmit and receive functions, the device is a
transmitter-receiver. The term originated in the early
1920s. Technically, transceivers must combine a
significant amount of the transmitter and receiver
handling      circuitry.   Similar     devices     include
transponders, transverters, and repeaters.

Transceivers are called Medium Attachment Units
(MAUs) in IEEE 802.3 documents.

                             Transceivers known as Medium Attachment Units were
                             widely used in 10base2 and 10base5 Ethernet networks.
                             Fibre-optic gigabit and 10 gigabit Ethernet utilize
                             transceivers known as GBIC, SFP, XFP and XAUI.

Radio technology
In radio terminology, a transceiver means a unit which contains both a receiver and a
transmitter. It was quite common to have these units separated. Ham radio operators can
build their own equipment and it is always easier to design and build a simple unit
having one of the functions, transmitting or receiving. Almost every modern amateur
radio equipment is now a transceiver but there is an active market for pure radio
receivers, mainly for Shortwave listening operators. An example of a transceiver would
be a walkie-talkie, or a CB radio.

On a wired telephone, the handset contains the transmitter and receiver for the audio.
The whole unit is colloquially referred to as a "receiver." On a mobile telephone or
other radiotelephone, the entire unit is a transceiver, for both audio and radio.

A cordless telephone uses an audio and radio transceiver for the handset, and a radio
transceiver for the base station. If a speakerphone is included in a wired telephone base
or in a cordless base station (less common), the base also becomes an audio transceiver
in addition to the handset.

A modem is also a transceiver, but is usually called by its own name rather than the
more generic one.

To top