Weekend Estate Planning Kit
The Weekend . . .
Author: Douglas E. Godbe Attorney at Law
Table of Contents
Using Self-Help Law Books
Chapter 1: An Overview
- What is a Will?
- What is a Trust?
- What is Probate?
- Finding the Law
- Community Property
- Marital Property
- Quasi-Community Property
- Income Taxes
- Estate Taxes
- Do You Need a Lawyer?
Chapter 2: Assets
- Assets Subject to Disposition by a Will
- Property Subject to Disposition in a Will, but Passing without Probate to a Surviving Spouse
- Small Estate Distribution
- Assets Not Subject to Disposition by a Will and Passing without Probate
Chapter 3: Deciding Which Plan Best Meets Your Goals
- Coordinating Your Estate Plan
- Inter Vivos Trusts
- Funding Your Inter Vivos Trust
- Using a Will to Create a Trust at Your Death
- Tax Planning
- Inter Vivos Trusts and the Pourover Will
- Health Care Powers of Attorney and Directives
- Financial Power of Attorney
- Living Wills
- Final Caution
Chapter 4: Beneficiaries
- Who and What Can Inherit?
- Who and What Cannot Inherit?
- Special Limitations on Bequests to Minors
- Disqualified Beneficiaries
- Family Changes After Execution of the Will
- Who Can You Disinherit?
- Who Can Contest Your Will or Your Inter Vivos Trust?
Chapter 5: Bequests
- Specific and Residual Bequests
- Conditional Outright Bequests
- Life Estates
- Testamentary Trusts
- Charitable Trusts
Chapter 6: Fiduciary Positions
Chapter 7: Execution, Safekeeping, and Revocation of Wills and Inter Vivos Trusts
- Will Execution
- Execution of Inter Vivos Trust
- Keeping Your Will Safe
- Keeping Your Inter Vivos Trust Safe
Chapter 8: Changing Your Will or Inter Vivos Trust
- Changes before Execution
- Changes after Execution
Chapter 9: Anatomy of Your Will or Inter Vivos Trust Will
- Inter Vivos Trust
Appendix A: Forced Shares Statutes
Appendix B: Asset Roadmap
Appendix C: Step-by-Step Instructions with Sample, Completed Forms
Appendix D: Blank Forms
This book provides all the information necessary to estate planning, including inter vivos trusts, wills,
guardian assignments, powers of attorney, and more. Blank forms are included on the accompanying CD-
ROM disc, and the book itself contains sample, filled-in forms to guide the reader in preparing his or her
own estate planning documents.The CD-ROM is not included with the digital version of this book.
Douglas E. Godbe Attorney at Law
Douglas E. Godbe received his J.D. from the University of San Diego. He is a California State Bar
Certified Specialist in probate, estate planning and trust law. Godbe has been a speaker for several
California Bar Continuing Education programs focusing on Basic Trust Drafting. He has practiced in the
areas of probate and estate planning for more than twenty-five years, most recently in Laguna Hills,