Building Permits - DOC

Document Sample
Building Permits - DOC Powered By Docstoc
					Building Permits
Permit fees are payable on submission of two sets of complete drawings and specifications for
the proposed construction accompanied with a completed Permit application form.

Fees are $13.50 per $1,000.00 or part thereof of the construction value for the estimated
valuation of the proposed work (minimum fee of $80.00).

The construction valuation means the total present cost of all work regulated by the Permit
including the cost of all materials, labour, equipment, overhead and professional and related

It is important to note that in the event that work has commenced prior to the issuance of a
Permit, a 50% surcharge will be added to the permit fee.

[ top ]

Revision to a Building Permit
Revisions to plans and specifications, which were previously applied for and approved through
the issuance of a permit, must be submitted for re-approval.

The fee is assessed per the Building Permit at $13.50 per $1,000.00 of the construction value of
the revised work only (minimum fee of $100.00).

[ top ]

Plumbing Permit
Where work is limited to the installation of plumbing only, the fee is assessed at $10.00 per
plumbing fixture (minimum fee of $80.00). This includes the alteration, renewal or extension of
each fixture and for each changeover from a septic tank system to City sewers.

[ top ]

Demolition Permit
$100 for the first 5,000 square feet (464.5 square metres) of gross floor area or portion thereof,
plus $13.50 for each additional 1,000 square feet (92.9 square metres) of gross floor area or part

[ top ]

Farm Buildings or Structures
$9.45 per $1000 or part thereof of the construction value for the estimated valuation of the
proposed work with a minimum fee of $80.00.
Building permit fees may be exempted for farm buildings/structures that could be regulated under
the Nutrient Management Act (when used for the collection, storing and handling of materials
containing nutrients, such as manure storage facilities).

[ top ]

Change of Use Permit
The Ontario Building Code Act provides for a Change of Use Permit for buildings with a fee
assessed at $250 per application.

[ top ]

Transfer of Permit
$80.00 transfer fee is assessed for the transfer of ownership of an active Building Permit to a new

[ top ]

Pool Enclosure Permit
$150 per application.

[ top ]

Sign Permit
Please refer to Sign Permits.

[ top ]

Fees Assessed During Processing
Additional fees may be payable upon permit issuance in accordance with the appropriate
jurisdictional authority. These may include but not be limited to development charges and
parkland charges.

Development Charges

Development Charges are fees that are levied on residential, non-residential and industrial
development based on geographic service areas throughout the City. These charges help finance
a portion of the costs associated with new infrastructure and service expansion needed to support
new development. Charges are assessed against the increase of residential dwelling units or the
increase in gross floor area for non-residential and industrial uses.

Parkland Charges
Within defined areas of the City a parkland charge may be levied as a condition of development
or redevelopment of land. The charge is assessed against the value of the land in the amount of
2% for non-residential and 5% for residential uses.

For specific information on these and other charges for your particular location and development
please contact the City of Ottawa at 3-1-1.

All Permit fees are approved by City Council pursuant to the appropriate municipal by-laws
including Building By-law 2005-303 and Pool Enclosure By-law 2001-259 as amended. All fees
are subject to change as amended by City Council.

[ top ]

Agency Letter of Approval
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario requires an Agency Letter of Approval from
Building, Fire and Health authorities where applicants wish to sell alcoholic beverages in a
licensed premise for indoor and outdoor use. When requesting approval from Building Services
Branch, applicants must provide a floor plan or a seating plan and a site plan at time of
submission. Building Services will verify the zoning designation and conduct a site visit to
establish the occupancy load under the Ontario Building Code.

The fee $275.00

These forms are available on line at

[ top ]

View and Release
Access to Building Permit Information
A View and Release application is used to request access to view a building permit file, to request
copies of a building permit application, inspection reports and/or occupancy permits.

If a request is received to obtain copies of drawings, plans and or specifications, written consent
must be obtained from the copyright holder.

The View and Release policy allows general access to building permit records within set
guidelines and adheres to copyright legislation without the necessity of an application request
under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

The application fee is $55.00 plus GST. Additional costs for photocopies will apply.

Please note that all fees are non-refundable.

[ top ]
Zoning By-laws
The Zoning By-law provides controls for the use and type of development of all land in Ottawa.
The Zoning By-law also sets specific requirements for development that must be followed. These
include provisions for building heights, the number of parking spaces, and the size of front, side
and rear yards.

The City is developing a new Comprehensive Zoning By-law to harmonize the existing 36 Zoning
By-laws that currently apply and to implement many of the land use designations and policies of
the 2003 Ottawa Official Plan.

For more information about how zoning and planning work in the City, please see Development

How to find current zoning information
If you want to find out the zoning that applies to a specific property, you may telephone or visit a
Development Information Officer in any of the City's Client Service Centres.

       City Hall Client Service Centre - 613-613-580-2424, ext. 28333
       Orléans Client Service Centre - 613-580-2424, ext. 29242
       Ben Franklin Place Client Service Centre - 613-580-2424, ext. 41250
       Kanata Client Service Centre - 613-580-2424, ext. 33321
       Metcalfe (Tuesdays) - 613-580-2424, ext. 20009
       Kinburn (Wednesdays) - 613-580-2424, ext. 32226
       North Gower (Thursdays) - 613-580-2424, ext. 31303

If you are selling or refinancing a property, you may need a compliance report, which describes
the zoning of a property and comments on whether the current use is permitted. It also indicates
any outstanding work orders authorized by the Ontario Building Code, and other information on
the property.

How to apply for a change in zoning
If you want to use your property in a way that is not permitted in the current zoning, you can apply
for a Zoning By-law Amendment. If you need only a minor change in the requirements of the
zoning, you may apply for a minor variance.

If you think there's a problem
If you think a property is being used in a way that is not permitted in the Zoning By-law, you may
file a complaint by calling 3-1-1. The City does zoning inspections and enforces the By-law when
it receives complaints. It also undertakes Business Licence inspections to ensure businesses
licensed by the City conform to the Zoning By-law.

Got Questions?
Telephone the City of Ottawa at 3-1-1.
Zoning By-law Amendment
The Official Plan outlines in a broad manner the land use and development guidelines within Ottawa. A Zoning By-law,
other hand, outlines how a specific parcel of land may be used. Zoning By-laws also regulate lot size, parking requirem
building height and other site-specific factors.

If an applicant wishes to develop a property in a manner that deviates from the current zoning provisions, they must ap
Zoning By-law Amendment; also referred to as a rezoning. For example, a change of use from residential to commercia
require a Zoning By-law Amendment. The Planning and Development Committee and City Council or Ontario Municipa
must approve any amendment to the Zoning By-law.

Sometimes a property owner only wants to make a minor deviation to the Zoning By-law provision such as a building s
height restriction requirements. Owners who want to have minor changes to the use of their property that differ only slig
Zoning By-law provisions can instead apply to the Committee of Adjustment for what is known as a "minor variance".

For example, a property owner planning an addition on to their house determines that with the addition there will only b
meter rear yard. The Zoning By-law requires a rear yard depth of 7.5 meters. This is a minor deviation, and the owner c
to the Committee of Adjustment for a minor variance that if approved would relax the rear yard requirement under the Z
law and allow for the addition to proceed.

In some cases, changes to By-laws result in developed properties losing their former conformance with zoning regulati
case, if the owner had legally used their property or if they had obtained a construction permit before the Zoning By-law
they may have "non-conforming rights" to use the land as they had before the new zoning came into affect. However, t
Committee of Adjustment must approve any change to or expansion of such use.

How to apply
Before making an application, you should discuss your proposal for a Zoning By-law amendment with Planning and Inf
Approvals Branch staff. Application forms are available at all Client Service Centres or online together with the requirem
submissions. See the Fee Schedule for application fees.

What Happens Next
The application will be processed by the Planning and Infrastructure Approvals Branch who circulate it to City Departm
Ward Councillor, Community Organizations and required public bodies for comments. A sign will be installed on the pro
briefly describing the proposal.

Once all comments have been received, the planner assigned to the application will prepare a report to Planning and
Development Committee and City Council with a recommendation to approve or refuse the rezoning application. You m
at the Planning and Development Committee meeting to present your views, since this is a public meeting.

The recommendation of Planning and Development Committee then proceeds to City Council. If Council approves the
amendment, it will pass a by-law which will be circulated to give interested parties the chance to appeal. A 20-day appe
provided for, once notice of Adoption of the By-law has been given. If no appeals are received by the end of the appea
amendment is in full force and effect.

If Council refuses your application or neglects to make a timely decision, you may appeal to the Ontario Municipal Boar
Board may hold a Hearing to decide on the amendment.
Other Permits or Approvals that may be required
        Official Plan Amendment - If proposed use of land does not conform to the Official Plan.
        Heritage Approval - If property is located in a Heritage Conservation District.
        Site Plan Control Applications - For most commercial and industrial developments, for certain residential devel
         for the establishment of parking lots, for certain changes in land use, and for any development in certain zones
        Building Permit - Required for most construction.

The various steps and corresponding length of time required in the Zoning By-law Amendment process are illustrated i
following chart:

                                                      Zoning By-Law Amendment Process

                        Calendar Days/Weeks Elapsed

  Pre-Consultation with Public (optional)    Prior to Filing Application

               Milestone Step                  Delegated Authority

 Application Submission                     Day 1

 Application Deemed Complete                Day 6

 Community "Heads Up" (if required)         Day 9

 Circulation to Technical Agencies,         Day 14 (Week 2)
 Community Organizations and Ward

 Posting of On-site Sign                    Day 17 (Week 2.5)

 End of Circulation Period                  Day 45 (Week 6.5)

 Community Information and Comment          (add 2 weeks to all
 Session (CICS)                             subsequent steps in the

 End of Issue Resolution                    Day 60 (Week 9)

 Report Preparation                         Day 68 (Week 10)

 Report Sign-off by Director                Day 70 (Week 10)

 Report Sign-off by General Manager         Day 77 (Week 11)

 Committee Meeting Advertisement and        Day 83 (Week 12)
 Report Mail out to Public

 Planning and Development Committee         Day 98 (Week 14)

 City Council Review/Passage of By-Law      Day 111 (Week 16)

 Notice of Decision                         Day 126 (Week 18)

 End of Appeal Period                       Day 146 (Week 21)
The City assists property owners in ensuring that buildings,              Plans of Property are
structures and private properties meet the performance and safety         available from an Ontario
standards set by provincial and municipal regulations and by-laws.        Land Registry Office
You will find information on obtaining building permits and
inspections, demolition permits, sign permits, civic addressing and       Building By-law
compliance reporting.                                                     Application for a Permit to
                                                                          Construct or Demolish
                                                                          Building permits are also
Sign Permits                                                              available at your nearest
                                                                          Client Service Centre.
A Guide to the Sign By-laws
The by-laws regulating the design, construction, installation, relocation or alteration of signs
located on private property in the City of Ottawa.

What are the Sign By-laws
The Sign By-laws require any individual involved in the construction, installation, relocation or
alteration of a sign located on private property within the new City of Ottawa to obtain a permit.

The By-laws ensure that signage located on private property is reviewed based on the intensity of
signage permitted in a specific zone and/or land use of a property. The regulations govern the
location, size, dimensions, illumination and animation aspects as well as the general design of the

Furthermore, the By-law prescribes the submission requirements and fees.

You do not need a Sign Permit if…
Generally, the following signs are exempt:

       Official signs or signs on public property as approved by City Council
       Incidental signs (bench, bicycle racks, etc.)
       Election signs
       Lettering on Licenced motor vehicles.
       Some small non-illuminated information signs
       Official flags

PLEASE NOTE: signs must comply with the safety and maintenance requirements of the By-law
even if exempt.

Prohibited Signs
Generally, the following signs are prohibited:

       Roof signs
       Signs on stationary vehicles or trailers
       Signs on sheds, poles, fences, posts, etc.
       Signs resembling or interfering with official traffic signs or signals
       Obsolete signs
       Signs not specifically permitted by the Sign By-laws

If you suspect that your sign may be prohibited or exempt, it is suggested that you confirm this
with staff at the City of Ottawa.

How to Apply for your Permit
Either you or your agent/contractor must apply for a permit at a City of Ottawa Client Service
Centre, before constructing or installing the sign.

While the Sign By-laws control the size, height, location, etc., of signs, additional consideration
should be given to the following elements:

       The architectural features of your building and surrounding buildings
       The character of your area
       Whether your sign is geared to pedestrian or vehicular traffic
       The location, size, shape, content, lettering and colours of the sign in relation to the
        building façade and existing signs

Determine what regulations affect your particular situation. Find out how your property is zoned,
and determine whether there are limits to the type, size and location of sign you wish to have
erected. Call 3-1-1.

Following this preliminary review and if your proposal is acceptable, prepare an application
according to the SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS as documented separately.

PLEASE NOTE: incomplete submissions will not be processed until deemed complete.

Present the completed application at a Client Service Centre along with the necessary drawings
and the appropriate fee - listed in this brochure.

Other Permits, Approvals, or Requirements
       Site Plan Control Approval: A new or re-located freestanding ground sign, and where
        there is previous Site Plan Control Approval.
       Ministry of Transportation: All signs located within 400 metres and visible from a
        Provincial Highway must obtain a Ministry of Transportation sign permit in addition to City
        of Ottawa approval.
       National Capital Commission: Signs adjacent to a NCC Ceremonial Route, Confederation
        Boulevard, may require NCC Design Approval.
       Building Permit: Structures which exceed the scope of the Sign by-laws will require a
        building permit.
       Professional Design: Professionally engineered drawings may be required for free
        standing ground sign structures, wall signs, and canopy signs depending on the size,
        weight and height of the proposal.

Harmonization of the City of Ottawa Sign By-laws
The City intends to harmonize the 11 separate existing sign by-laws for signs located on private
property from the former municipalities into one comprehensive sign by-law. Until that time, all
previous by-laws from the original municipalities continue in force until repealed in favour of a
new by-law.

How much will the Permit cost?
Fees vary according to the by-law specific to the installation area. Fees or minimums quoted are
for each sign unless otherwise indicated. The following chart provides an overview of fees that
may be applicable.

Permanent Signs                              $260 per sign

Billboard Signs                              $1500 per sign

Copy of Sign By-laws                         $97.75 (tax incl.)

Sign Surcharge                               50% of permit fee
(Existing sign without permit)


Sign By-law Minor Variance Application       $1,500.00

Sign By-law Amendment Application            $3,000.00

Other Sign Permit Application Fees

Former City of Kanata

Corel Centre Signs:                             Refer to Schedule "A" of Sign By-law number 147-95

Former City of Ottawa

Encroachment Permit                              $250 for the current calendar year
                                                 $100 Invoiced annually by the Finance Department for each calendar
                                                year thereafter

Street Ad Sign                                  $500

Real Estate Sign                                $75

Temporary Banner, Inflatable & Real Estate      Refer to the applicable sign by-law for the appropriate permit fee.

         NOTE: for mobile and portable signs, please contact By-Law Services at 613-580-2424 x 41547
         *Full five year fee is payable in advance for each sign.
         All Permit fees are approved by City Council pursuant to the appropriate municipal by-laws and are subject
          to change as amended by City Council.
         All Permit fees are payable at time of application. In the event that the application is cancelled a partial
          refund may be obtained in accordance with the applicable by-law.

Jim Denyer                       613-580-2424 x 41399
Jim Moses                        613-580-2424 x 41371

Shared By: