DISTRICT PROJECT OFFICE
SARVA SHIKSHA ABHIYAN, (SSA), GANJAM
Home Based Education for Children With Special Needs, ( C.W.S.N)
Posting of Community Teacher at Block level
SSA is flagship Programme to universalize Elementary Education as per constitutional directives.
Since the programme adopts zero rejection policy, nearly 2-3 per cent of the children who are physically
challenged also come under the purview of this programme. All students regardless of their disabilities
are able to learn. However, students with special needs may learn at a slower rate than their non-
disabled peers. The main objective of the Home Based Education is to set reasonable learning goals for
CWSN and to provide education facility to the severe category of disabled children who are out of school
i.e: enrollment in school, resource support at home, provision of aids & appliances etc. The goal of home-
based education is to create opportunity for all children with severe disabilities to participate and learn
educational and social skills to its maximum potential within the home environment. Therefore, the
programme of home based education needs to be introduced for each out of school children with special
Objectives of HBE: -
• To identify and enroll out of school CWSN in appropriate educational institution.
• To provide resource support by community teacher at home.
• To orient the parents on home management for CWSN.
• To generate community awareness to support the cause of CWSN.
• To monitor and record the periodic changes I the student through this programme by means of
continuous assessment and evaluation of student’s achievement.
• To ensure quality education for all CWSN.
HBE helps development of educational planning for student with special need by:-
• Documentation of present level of performance of CWSN.
• Indication of specific service and type of service to be provided including the time line for
delivering of service.
• Planning for annual goal.
• Short-term objective.
• Procedure and schedule for evaluating goals and objectives.
• Coordinating activities and procedure.
• Providing a basis for reporting.
• Linking assessment with programming, tracking and recording student learning and progress.
• Fostering home /school collaboration and communication.
• Providing accountability to all stakeholders.
HBE is critical for the successful education of a student with special need. It is a realistic, practical
plan that should be uncomplicated and can be understood by teachers, assistants, parents and
specialists. It provides an opportunity for all those involved with the student to plan and design an
effective programme for improved learning outcomes.
Since the formal set up is not adequate to give cent percent attention to the CWSN the
Community Teacher can playa very effective role in making the programme success. For better
implementation of the programme the responsibility should be assigned to the community teachers who
have the credibility of working effectively with the children with special needs.
Plan for implementation HBE
• Selection of community Teacher.
• Engagement of Community Teachers.
• 7 –days orientation to Community Teacher for their capacity building in the field for inclusive
education by DRG on IE.
• Distribution of case history format to the community teacher for collection of information.
• Preparation of Individualized Educational plan by the Community Teacher to implement home
based individual education plan.
• Review of he progress of HBE at bloc level.
• Documentation of the progress.
• CWSN covered through HBE for 3 months will be mainstreamed in regular school.
Criteria for selection of Community Teacher in order of preference.
• One Community Teacher will be engaged in each Block & Berhampur Municipality.
• Initially 23 nos. Community Teacher will be engaged (one in one block & Municipality)
• The applicant should belong to the concerned block and Municipality.
• The applicant will apply in the prescribed application form.
• The applications will be received by he Dist. Project Office, SSA, Ganjam and the same will be
transferred to the BRCC of concerned block for selection with due procedure and criteria fixed by
• Special trained candidate (degree/diploma in Spl. Edn) of trained care giver (RCI).
• Educated youth completed foundation course on disability conducted by RCI & MPBOU.
• Educated family member of he CWSN. (Minimum qualification 10th pass)
• Any member of he village who is supporting the family of CWSN (Minimum qualification 10th
• Engagement will be done by the VEC of the cluster/center school of the catchments area.
• Community teacher will be engaged for a maximum period of 3 months during the year 2009-10.
• The community teachers will submit an undertaking to the effect that they will not claim for further
extension beyond the present term of engagement.
• Honorarium @ Rs.1500/- (Rupees One Thousand Five Hundred only) per month will be paid to
the community teacher including T.A/DA etc. by the VEC of he concerned cluster school.
• Working hours-Five days in a week with five hours per day.
• Selection will be made by a Block Level Selection Committee comprising of BRCC, BRT, SIS of
the concerned circle CRCC and President, VEC of the concerned cluster school and
engagement will be given by the President, VEC of the concerned cluster school after the
approval of DPC.
• Expenditure for one time contingency of Rs.1100/- will be given to the community teacher
towards the cost of different types of formats, files, preparation of TLM and meeting of the
community teachers at Block level.
Role of Community Teacher/ Volunteer
The Community Teacher shall-
• Identify the out of school CWSN.
• Assess the educational need of the CWSN.
• Conduct regular home visit of he CWSN.
• Enroll the in near by schools.
• Enhance the skills of the parents for facilitating the progress of he CWSN.
• Prepare Individualized Educational Plan for each CWSN.
• Prepare the teaching learning material as per the needs of the child.
• Undertake parental counseling.
• Attend cluster level and Block level meetings.
• Record the progress of he CWSN.
• Help the CWSN for getting aids and appliances and scholarships.
• Any other responsibilities assigned to him / her by the district authority for progress of he CWSN.
• For better utilization of the service of community teacher, CWSN may be categorized into two
groups:- namely frequent service required CWSN group (FSRG) and not frequent service
required CWSN group(NFSRG).
• Counseling family members so as to overcome misconceptions.
• Training of community teachers, parents in required skills.
• Setting individualized goals for child.
• Assessing & modifying the programme.
• Regular school visits.
• Reporting and documentation of home based programme.
• Appropriate referral.
District Project Coordinator
SSA, Ganjam, Chatrapur
1. Post Applied for: - Community Teacher under Inclusive Education for Affix here a
CWSN. signed copy of
2. Name of the Applicant ( In Block letter):- recent pass-port
________________________________________________________ size photo
3. Name of the Father / husband:-_________________________________
4. Present full Address:- ________________________________________
4. Permanent Address:- ________________________________________
5. Date of Birth (as per certificate) :-________________
6. Age: -(As on 31.12.09) :-_______________
7. Sex: - Male / Female 8.Caste. : - SC/ST/OBC/GEN
9. Nationality: - 10. Religion: -
11. Educational Qualification
Sl. Examination Board// Year of Mark % of Division Subject Studies
No Passed University passing obtained marks
12. Professional Qualification if any
Sl. Examination Board/ Year of Mark % of Division Subject Studies
No Passed University passing obtained marks
13. Experience if any (attached Xerox copy of Certificate)
14. Documents to be attached – Attested copy of all mark sheet, educational certificate, experience
certificate, residence certificate, others if any enclosed herewith the application form.
I hereby declare that information furnished above is true & correct to the best of my knowledge
and believe. In case any information is found false or incorrect at any stage, my candidature is liable to
Date: - Signature of the Candidate