Waverly_flashcard__1_Waverly_School_1-border by MPL46158

VIEWS: 75 PAGES: 2

Mooresville Public Library (MPL) (Mooresville, Indiana) presents local historical flashcards as part of its "Treasure Trove" series.

More Info
									            Waverly School (Mid-1930s-1965)                                 Waverly School (Mid-1930s-1965)
(Photo from Martinsville Daily Reporter, Oct. 27, 1966, p. 3)   (Photo from Martinsville Daily Reporter, Oct. 27, 1966, p. 3)




            Waverly School (Mid-1930s-1965)                                 Waverly School (Mid-1930s-1965)
(Photo from Martinsville Daily Reporter, Oct. 27, 1966, p. 3)   (Photo from Martinsville Daily Reporter, Oct. 27, 1966, p. 3)
The first school in Waverly was                                                                                    flash From Your Past                  The first school in Waverly was                                                                                    flash From Your Past
held around 1842. At the time,                                                                                     Historical Flash Card                 held around 1842. At the time,                                                                                     Historical Flash Card
many students attended school at                                                                                                                         many students attended school at




                                            Copyright © 2009 by Mooresville Public Library. All Rights Reserved.




                                                                                                                                                                                                     Copyright © 2009 by Mooresville Public Library. All Rights Reserved.
                                                                                                                      Series — Card #1                                                                                                                                         Series — Card #1
MacKenzie farm south of                                                                                                                                  MacKenzie farm south of
Waverly. A new school house                                                                                                                              Waverly. A new school house
was constructed in Waverly in                                                                                      In 1879, each township school had a   was constructed in Waverly in                                                                                      In 1879, each township school had a
1850 and was reported as being                                                                                     single teacher who were paid $1.75    1850 and was reported as being                                                                                     single teacher who were paid $1.75
“in fine shape” as of 1884.                                                                                        per day. By 1917 the Banta and        “in fine shape” as of 1884.                                                                                        per day. By 1917 the Banta and
Before 1877, three grade schools                                                                                   Sweettown schools had been discon-    Before 1877, three grade schools                                                                                   Sweettown schools had been discon-
had been established in Harrison                                                                                   tinued. In 1915, a new, two-story     had been established in Harrison                                                                                   tinued. In 1915, a new, two-story
Township: Waverly, Banta, and                                                                                      brick school was built atop Waverly   Township: Waverly, Banta, and                                                                                      brick school was built atop Waverly
Sweettown. Land for the schools                                                                                    Hill. Its interior was destroyed by   Sweettown. Land for the schools                                                                                    Hill. Its interior was destroyed by
was donated by a Mr. Etter, Mr.                                                                                    fire on March 13, 1932, but was re-   was donated by a Mr. Etter, Mr.                                                                                    fire on March 13, 1932, but was re-
Stotts    and    Mr.    Tackett.                                                                                   built and renovated. This facility    Stotts    and    Mr.    Tackett.                                                                                   built and renovated. This facility
Accredited teachers, who were                                                                                      (see photograph on other side)        Accredited teachers, who were                                                                                      (see photograph on other side)
8th grade graduates and passed                                                                                     served Waverly students until 1965    8th grade graduates and passed                                                                                     served Waverly students until 1965
state and county teaching exams,                                                                                   when a new six-room school was        state and county teaching exams,                                                                                   when a new six-room school was
taught the 3 R’s (Reading,                                                                                         constructed across the road, which    taught the 3 R’s (Reading,                                                                                         constructed across the road, which
Writing, and Arithmetic).                                                                                          is still in use (in expanded form)    Writing, and Arithmetic).                                                                                          is still in use (in expanded form)
                                                                                                                   today. The “old” Waverly school                                                                                                                          today. The “old” Waverly school
  Published by Mooresville Public Library                                                                          was torn down in 1966.                  Published by Mooresville Public Library                                                                          was torn down in 1966.
         220 West Harrison Street                                                                                                                                 220 West Harrison Street
           Mooresville, IN 46158                                                                                                                                    Mooresville, IN 46158
          www.mooresvillelib.org                                                                                                                                   www.mooresvillelib.org




The first school in Waverly was                                                                                    flash From Your Past                  The first school in Waverly was                                                                                    flash From Your Past
held around 1842. At the time,                                                                                     Historical Flash Card                 held around 1842. At the time,                                                                                     Historical Flash Card
many students attended school at                                                                                                                         many students attended school at
                                            Copyright © 2009 by Mooresville Public Library. All Rights Reserved.




                                                                                                                                                                                                     Copyright © 2009 by Mooresville Public Library. All Rights Reserved.
                                                                                                                      Series — Card #1                                                                                                                                         Series — Card #1
MacKenzie farm south of                                                                                                                                  MacKenzie farm south of
Waverly. A new school house                                                                                                                              Waverly. A new school house
was constructed in Waverly in                                                                                      In 1879, each township school had a   was constructed in Waverly in                                                                                      In 1879, each township school had a
1850 and was reported as being                                                                                     single teacher who were paid $1.75    1850 and was reported as being                                                                                     single teacher who were paid $1.75
“in fine shape” as of 1884.                                                                                        per day. By 1917 the Banta and        “in fine shape” as of 1884.                                                                                        per day. By 1917 the Banta and
Before 1877, three grade schools                                                                                   Sweettown schools had been discon-    Before 1877, three grade schools                                                                                   Sweettown schools had been discon-
had been established in Harrison                                                                                   tinued. In 1915, a new, two-story     had been established in Harrison                                                                                   tinued. In 1915, a new, two-story
Township: Waverly, Banta, and                                                                                      brick school was built atop Waverly   Township: Waverly, Banta, and                                                                                      brick school was built atop Waverly
Sweettown. Land for the schools                                                                                    Hill. Its interior was destroyed by   Sweettown. Land for the schools                                                                                    Hill. Its interior was destroyed by
was donated by a Mr. Etter, Mr.                                                                                    fire on March 13, 1932, but was re-   was donated by a Mr. Etter, Mr.                                                                                    fire on March 13, 1932, but was re-
Stotts    and    Mr.    Tackett.                                                                                   built and renovated. This facility    Stotts    and    Mr.    Tackett.                                                                                   built and renovated. This facility
Accredited teachers, who were                                                                                      (see photograph on other side)        Accredited teachers, who were                                                                                      (see photograph on other side)
8th grade graduates and passed                                                                                     served Waverly students until 1965    8th grade graduates and passed                                                                                     served Waverly students until 1965
state and county teaching exams,                                                                                   when a new six-room school was        state and county teaching exams,                                                                                   when a new six-room school was
taught the 3 R’s (Reading,                                                                                         constructed across the road, which    taught the 3 R’s (Reading,                                                                                         constructed across the road, which
Writing, and Arithmetic).                                                                                          is still in use (in expanded form)    Writing, and Arithmetic).                                                                                          is still in use (in expanded form)
                                                                                                                   today. The “old” Waverly school                                                                                                                          today. The “old” Waverly school
  Published by Mooresville Public Library                                                                          was torn down in 1966.                  Published by Mooresville Public Library                                                                          was torn down in 1966.
         220 West Harrison Street                                                                                                                                 220 West Harrison Street
           Mooresville, IN 46158                                                                                                                                    Mooresville, IN 46158
          www.mooresvillelib.org                                                                                                                                   www.mooresvillelib.org

								
To top