Using Google Earth in the Classroom
"Every subject can be enhanced by a sense of place"
Charles Abrams, firstname.lastname@example.org
All of the workshop materials and web links are available at:
I. Pre-Workshop Survey (see faculty.ccc.edu/cabrams/)
II. Download and install Google Earth from
III. Demonstration of basic features of Google Earth
IV. Examples of using Google Earth
1. Where are you now - ice breaker, cultural awareness, geography
2. Earth Science - Earthquakes, rocks, topology, maps, webcams
3. Mathematics - The Powers of 10, angles, areas, distances
4. English - Devil in the White City
5. History - Pickett's Charge
6. Current events - Crisis in Darfur
V. Finding well-prepared placemarks and .kmz files
VI. Making your own .kmz files
VII. Post-Workshop Survey (see faculty.ccc.edu/cabrams/)
This workshop is sponsored by Chicago GEAR UP Alliance
1. Search panel - find places and directions and manage search results.
2. Overview map - an additional perspective of the Earth.
3. Hide/Show sidebar - conceal or the display the side bar (Search, Places and
4. Placemark - add a placemark for a location.
5. Polygon - add a polygon.
6. Path - add a path (line or lines).
7. Image Overlay - add an image overlay on the Earth.
8. Measure - measure a distance or area size.
9. Sun - display sunlight across the landscape.
10. Sky - view stars, constellations, galaxies, planets and the Earth's moon.
11. Email - email a view or image.
12. Print - print the current view of the Earth.
13. Show in Google Maps - show the current view in Google Maps in your browser
14. Navigation controls - zoom, look and move around with mouse or SmartBoard
15. Layers panel - display points of interest.
16. Places panel - locate, save, organize and revisit placemarks.
17. Add Content - import exciting content from the KML Gallery.
18. 3D Viewer - View the globe and its terrain in this window.
19. Status bar - View coordinate, elevation, imagery date and streaming status.
Expand/compact search panel
Resize expanded search panel (mouse icon changes)
Expand/compact places panel
Right-click on folder or placemark for pop up menu
Change opacity of overlay (only when overlay selected)
Expand/compact layers panel
Layers for Mars Layers for Moon
(select Mars with Earth/Sky tool) (select Moon with Earth/Sky tool)