AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDER REFERENCE GROUP

Document Sample
AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDER REFERENCE GROUP Powered By Docstoc
					AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDER REFERENCE GROUP
MINUTE OF MEETING HELD ON 5 JUNE 2006

Present:

     Ken Aitken, Action Against Autism
     Carolyn Brown, Fife Council Psychological Service
     John Cameron, Autism Resource Centre, Glasgow
     Joanna Daly, National Autistic Society
     Aline-Wendy Dunlop, National Centre for Autism Studies
     Carol Evans, National Autistic Society
     Bette Francis, Scottish Executive (Chair)
     Jane Hook, Parent
     Wendy Johnston, Scottish Social services Council
     Iain McClure, SIGN
     Tommy McKay, NCAS and Scottish Society for Autism
     Stella Macdonald, Consultant and service user
     John McDonald, Director, Scottish Society for Autism
     Jane Neil-Maclachlan, NHS Lothian
     Val Murray, Scottish Centre for Autism
     Jenny Pickthall, Scottish Executive
     Shona Pittilo, Scottish Executive
     Val Sellars, Scottish Centre for Autism
     Marion Thompson, Scottish Executive
     Polly Wright, ADSW

Apologies
Anne Aberdein, Clare Brogan, Alison Leask, Charlene Tait, Jean
MacLellan, Richard Ibbotson and Paul Dickinson

1.    Welcome and Introductions
Introductions were made and apologies noted.

2.    Minutes of the January meeting
On page 7 under AOCB the name of Jane Neil-Maclachlan should
replace Aline-Wendy. The minutes of the last meeting were then agreed
as an accurate record of the meeting.

3.   Matters arising
Bette asked the group to identify whether there was any gaps in
representation on the group and it was noted that a GP or Paediatrician
would be useful. This had been suggested before and Jane Cantrell had
offered to investigate a primary care contact so this needs to be followed
up.

The supporting people task group will report in September to make
Ministers aware of the impact of funding streams.

Aline-Wendy gave an update on the Autism Network. Following a time of
data gathering, they were now moving into development. 2 forums have
been set up at the University, one for parents and one for those on the
spectrum. The network is also holding 2 conferences, the first being 24
August. The speaker on children’s issues is confirmed as Katherine
Marshall, the Children’s Commissioner. The next date is 30 November
and Hugh Morgan from Wales and Dame Stephanie Shirley are the
speakers. The Development Group have looked at principles of
participation and finalised 7 principles. The post of the Development
Officer will be advertised shortly.

Action Point – There is an invitation to look at the principles of
participation which have been agreed and give comment
                                                  Group Members

4. Subgroups
Policy into practice
The subgroup have gathered guidance information for commissioners.
Commissioners will be invited to comment on the best way of getting the
information across, perhaps at an event.

Polly asked if we could add autism to the drop down menu of the Joint
Improvement Team Framework.

Action Point – invite Martin Campbell to the next meeting
                                                    Jenny Pickthall

John explained the Clubhouse Model which is used in other countries. It
is a self-directed network which can offer peer support to those with
autism. Some discussion followed about possible funding streams from
Communities Scotland on inclusion and an event was suggested to
inform people how they might set up a network and where they might
find funding to help.

Carol informed the group that a Consortium of commissioners from the
NW of England, with the support of the National Autistic Society, had
produced a consultation paper on Improving Commissioning Standards
in Service for Children and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders. It
would not be possible to replicate the idea of commissioning across a
region but managed care networks have a role in this.

We need commissioners involved if we are to put policy into practise and
Bette informed the group that she will share this message at her next
meeting with ADSW on 14 June.

The subgroup will continue to update the group on the main pieces of
work at each Reference group meeting.

Action Point- copy of NW Consortium paper to be circulated
                                                      Carol Evans
Action Point- put Clubhouse model on the agenda for the Network’s
first Aspergers group forum.
                                             Aline-Wendy Dunlop

Information subgroup
The information event has taken place and it was agreed that the work
of the information subgroup had been completed. The members of the
subgroup would make a useful input to the Development Group of the
Autism Network.

5. Funding for 2006-07
Jenny produced a paper listing the bids received for the additional
funding for the group to consider and prioritise.

1. Aline-Wendy spoke to the Accreditation Projects on Training. She said
that training is required to widen knowledge and is instrumental to good
practise and inclusion. The first project needs match funding for a
University of Strathclyde project in rural areas which has SHEFA
funding. This led to discussions with the Scottish Society for Autism
(SSA) on how to assess the quality of trainers and accreditation. They
believe that 3 areas need to be tackled; accreditation of organisations,
accreditation of materials and approaches and to build in qualifications.
These fit in with PHIS recommendations for national training standards.
The project is about setting up structures for assessing levels and quality
of autism training in Scotland as part of a training framework. SSA will
look at continuing the accreditation for the future.

Funding was agreed in principle though a short period of time will be
allowed for consideration of the paper on these projects.
Action point – paper on the training accreditation proposals to be
circulated and any comments returned by 27 June.
                                                 Jennifer Pickthall

2. Details of John’s proposal on a respite project were discussed
particularly, the sustainability of the project once the funding was over.
Bette explained that other areas of the Executive may also be
encouraged to give support. It was proposed that the training section of
the bid should not be funded and clarification was sought on how this
might affect the rest of the project. John intimated that 30K was needed
for the minimum training required and there was general support for this.

3. There was a bid for an ASD Coordinator for Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire.
The council approached the Executive to fund this post but the group
agreed a one-stop shop would be more appropriate to provide the
service required. The group supported the proposal for a one-stop shop
in this area however there were concerns for the continuity of the service
once the funding has passed as resources in the council were stretched.

New Proposals
1. The Fife Coordinator post was agreed. Carolyn Brown from Fife had
not seen the proposal so questioned its circulation in Fife.

Action point – the proposal for this post to be circulated to the
group. Carolyn to discuss at a local level.
                                                  Jenny Pickthall
                                                  Carolyn Brown

2. ARC Glasgow have an opportunity to extend what they do. They wish
to train people so that the diagnostic requirement moves down one level.
This will be a new model of service and a small consultation exercise will
support it. Provisional training dates have been set in August for training
in DISCO and there will be training in other tools across the range. This
diagnosis training should reduce the current demand. This bid was
supported but we should try and stretch resources by involving the
Waiting Times team.

Action Point- discuss bid with the Waiting Times team
                                                  Jennifer Pickthall

3. There was support for the bid on advocacy.
4. There was agreement in principle to support the proposal from NES
for the remaining information resource though questions were raised
about the suitability of using ADOS for diagnosing adults.

Action Point- discuss the proposal further with members of the
group concerned about the use of ADOS
                                                          Alison Leask
Future Demand
Increasing numbers of people with autism are being identified in schools
which will lead to a high number of adults needing services. Projects to
improve adult services are therefore vital. An approach should be made
to councils with large numbers of children coming through the system
offering small amounts of funding to address future demand.

6. Any Other Business
Adult Support and Protection Bill

Action Point- write up a short update on the progress of the Bill
                                                      Bette Francis
GP Contracts

Action Point- consider what input you may wish to make to the
2007 GP contracts.
                                                   The group

Conference Report
Jenny outlined who this report was distributed to.

7. Date of the Next Meeting

The next meeting has been arranged for 21 August 2006 in St Andrews
House, Edinburgh.