MOORESTOWN DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION
Township of Moorestown
RECREATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
The regular monthly meeting of the Recreation Advisory Committee (RAC) was held at the New
Albany Center on Tuesday evening May 6, 2008, beginning at 7:30pm. In attendance, were Cyndi
Britton, Phil Garwood, Barry O’Donnell, Theresa Miller, Brian Monihan, and William Van Fossen
2. Review of Minutes April 1 meeting.
3. Guest Speakers – Detective John Hinshillwood (Vandalism in the Parks)
4. Director’s report
5. Teen Clean – May 31
6. Sub-Committee Liaison Reports
7. Citizen Concerns
8. Adjournment – Next Meeting, Tuesday, May 6, 2008
2. Review of Minutes. Minutes were approved as written.
3. Guest Speakers. Detective John Hinshillwood addressed the RAC about the recent park vandalism.
Two sinks had been ripped out of the bathroom walls at Wesley Bishop and vandalism at Fullerton
Park. The cost of repairs will be a minimum of $ 1,300.00. Graffiti has been a problem at most of the
parks with Salem being the worst. Detective Hinshillwood said that people that do this crime will
commonly “tag” (a unique style of graffiti specifically to them) the graffiti and place pictures of it on
the internet. He recommends that we ask Town Counsel for additional lighting at the parks and we try
to develop a neighborhood watch. Phil Garwood will work with the police on how to remove the
graffiti, the quicker we remove it the better.
4. Director’s Report . The park program is now taking registrations for the summer at $30.00 per
child, registration is available online. Baker school has been added to the locations. The theatre
program this year is also $30.00 per child. The new tennis program is going great with high registration
numbers. The 24th annual Rotary Run is scheduled for June 7. The rec department plans on 900
running in the race this year. This year in addition to picking up your pre-race bags at the rec
department they will be available at the Moorestown Running Company on Main Street. Brendan
O’Connor will be speaking at the Memorial Day celebration, Mr. O’Connor was a Green Beret and a
graduate of Moorestown High School class of 1978.
5. Teen Clean- May 31. The Teen Committee will be sponsoring a Teen Clean-up at all our parks.
The first 150 teens that arrive will get a free t-shirt. Breakfast for the teens has been donated by local
6. Sub-Committee Liaison Reports. The Special Needs Committee will be sponsoring a Sunnybrook
family swim party and a Camden River Shark game. The committee commented that special events
seem to be better attended then weekly programs. The Senior Committee went to Washington DC
and had a wonderful time.
7. Citizen Comments – Resident Kevin O’Sullivan presented a website to the RAC that has been very
successful with softball and baseball. He gave us a complete presentation with how the website works
and how easy it is to navigate. The purchase price for the program is $500.00 per year and the
recreation department could utilize it on all their recreation programs. Theresa is going to investigate
how she could incorporate it into her daily operations.
8, Adjournment – Next Meeting June 3, 2008.