Mild side effects of taking THE SEXUAL HEALTH CENTRES
the Birth Control Pill ARE LOCATED AT:
• Nausea • Moodiness
• Breast tenderness • Bloating or puffiness Fort Erie Sexual Health Centre Hours of Service
• Fatigue • Mild headaches 43 Hagey Avenue Tuesday - Friday
Fort Erie, ON L2A 1W4 9am - 12pm
• Spotting • Acne
• Slight weight gain Phone: 905-871-5320
Minor side effects usually go away 3-4 months after taking the
pill. If side effects continue, call the Sexual Health Centre or your Niagara Falls Sexual Health Centre Hours of Service
5710 Kitchener Street Monday - Friday
Niagara Falls, ON L2G 1C1
1pm - 4:30pm HOW TO TAKE
Serious side effects
See your doctor or go to the hospital emergency if you have any
of the following SEVERE symptoms:
• Abdominal pain. • Eye problems (blurred or loss
St. Catharines Sexual Health Centre
277 Welland Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2R 2P7
Hours of Service
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 12pm
• Chest pain, cough, shortness of vision).
of breath. • Leg pain (calf or thigh).
Toll Free: 1-800-263-5757
1pm - 4:30pm
Read the following directions before you
Benefits of the pill Welland Sexual Health Centre
540 King Street
Hours of Service
Monday - Friday
begin taking your pills and any time you
Welland, ON L3B 3L1 1pm - 4:30pm are not sure what to do.
• Lighter and shorter periods.
• Regular periods. Fax: 905-734-1770
• Less period cramps.
• Improved acne. * Clinic/Doctor services available by appointment only
• Reduced risk of uterine cancer. Mediklik - STI Clinic
• Reduced risk of ovarian cancer. St. Catharines General Hospital
• Reduced risk of ovarian cysts. 142 Queenston Street, St. Catharines, ON
Tuesday & Thursdays - 6:00-8:00 p.m.
• Reduced risk of non-cancerous breast disease.
Walk-in Clinic – no appointment required
When to start your first Points to remember Missed Pills...Oops!
pack of pills? when taking the Pill If you have missed a pill by more than 2 hours, you may be at risk
Decide with your doctor or clinic what is the best day for you to • It is normal for your period to be shorter and lighter than usual. of getting pregnant. Keep on taking your pills but you should
start taking your first pack of pills. Your pills may be a 21-day or • The pill does not work immediately. Use a second method of now use a back-up method of birth control as well as your pill, or
28-day type. birth control for the first cycle of pill use. stop having sex until you start your next package of pills.
•If you miss a period, do not be alarmed. Continue taking your
You might be a... Miss 1 pill
pills and call your family doctor or your clinic for advice.
I. Sunday Start • When you begin your last pack of pills, phone your clinic or doc- • Take it as soon as you remember and take the next pill at the
To start the pill, take the first tablet on the Sunday after your tor to make an appointment. usual time. This means that you might take 2 pills in one day.
period begins. If you period begins on Sunday, start that day. • Continue to take the rest of the pills in your package.
or a… Be sure to take your pill at the • Remember to use a back-up method of birth control until you
same time each day. start your next package of pills.
II. First Day Start
Start your first pill on the same day that your period begins. Times when you need back-up birth control Miss 2 pills in a row
What type of pill am I on? • Starting first pack or restarting. • Take 2 pills as soon as you remember and 2 pills the next day.
• Some medications (i.e. antibiotics) may interfere with the • Then take 1 pill a day until you finish the pack.
21-Pill Pack action of the pill. Your pharmacist can advise about any medica- • Remember to use a back-up method of birth control until you
• Take one pill a day for 21 days. tion and its effect on the pill. When you are seen by a doctor for start your next package of pills.
• Then no pills are taken for 7 days. You will have your period other problems, be sure to inform him/her that you are using
during this week. birth control pills. Miss 3 or more pills in a row
• Begin a new pack of pills on the same day of the week you • If you have diarrhea for 24 hours or vomiting within 2 hours • Keep taking 1 pill a day until Sunday.
started the first pack (i.e. Sunday). after taking a pill, your body has not had enough time to absorb • On Sunday, start a new package of pills.
it. Therefore, there is more chance of becoming pregnant. Take • Remember to use a back-up method of birth control from then
28-Pill Pack your pills at your regular time (to keep you on schedule) but use until you finish the new package of pills.
back-up birth control for the rest of the pack. • You may miss a period this month.
• Take one pill a day for 28 days.
• If surgery is planned, it is important that you tell your doctor
• During the last 7 pills of this pack you will have your period.
that you are on the pill. Some surgery may require you to stop the
• Begin your new pack of pills the next day (i.e. Sunday) after you
pill. While off the pill, use another method of birth control.
finish the first pack.
Think ahead. Don’t run out of pills.
When going away for a day or more,
remember to take your pills with you!