Monday May 1st

Document Sample
Monday May 1st Powered By Docstoc
					Monday May 1st
We did our shopping for groceries and headed into Fundy National Park. This time of year everything is still closed but
they do had a campground near the park entrance called headquarters just a couple of miles from the town of Alma.
We got set up and enjoyed the day by going into Alma and seeing the fishing boats and tidal flats.
The rest of the day was finishing off the presentation and training materials for Moncton.

Tuesday May 2
We downloaded the tide tables off of the internet for the area and went down to see the tide out and in. Its always amazing
to see this tide which is one of the highest in the world and can reach 58 feet. Rick took pictures by a pole to measure
where we walked.
Then we hiked up the salmon river. This entire area had been logged and left devasted because of years of abuse. Dams had
been put in and sawdust from mills had littered the river for a century. The salmon had long since stopped coming to the
river to spawn. Efforts to rehabilitate the area have not worked, the salmon have not returned, even with putting hatchlings
in the river.
One project that has been successful has been the Osprey population which was in conjuction with the Wainright birds of

We road the bikes 15 km up to Wolfe Point as the road was still closed to vehicles.It was a perfect day for biking as it
wasn’t too warm and a slight breeze was coming off the bay. We had lunch along the way at herring cove and an old
homestead site. We continued on to Wolfe Point which was a bustling logging town at the turn of the 19 th century.. The
covered bridge over the river had been restored in 1992. On our return trip, we stopped and built an Inukchuk on the beach
with rocks and took a picture of Mannabear standing on it. For supper we had fish that Rick had caught in the Sea of
Cortez (Pacific ocean) and we are now on the Atlantic coast. It was beautiful out so we sat outside for supper.

Thursday May 4
A light rain is falling today so we hiked up the salmon river again and then I painted in the afternoon. The Gorilla is
coming along well. We prepared for our presentation and training in Moncton in the evening and got everything ready.

Friday May 5, 2006
I ran the dogs down to the river shortly after breakfast. We headed out on highway 114 along the coast so that we could
stop at Hopewell Rocks. It isn’t open for the season but we were able to park by the gates and walk in on the trails to see
the low tide. This is where the “flower pots” are. Huge towering stones with trees on top of them. When the tide is out,
they are over 60 feet tall. When the tide is in, all that shows is the top of the rocks with the trees. We walked down to the
mud flats where in the summer and fall millions of shore birds come to feed every day. There were no birds today but the
mud flats looked equally impressive. Then it was into Moncton and good thing we have co-pilot because as usual,
directions aren’t always as easy as they appear. We arrived at the hotel and got set up in the parking lot.

Saturday May 6, 2006
We got up early to exercise the dogs before the training. Then it was an excellent training from 9-1 with a full room of very
excited people. We covered the backpack system which makes it easy for the introduction of what the health benefits are
for people with the products. Then we covered why networking is where the next great wealth will be created and why
people really need to understand this misunderstood form of marketing a product. We definitely made an impression
because people came and told us they never understood how important it was to help people make money so not only their
products were paid for but to make a difference in many areas because of the financial freedom this business allows. We
met people like Ivan, Dennis, Cindy and Louise. Then it was off to a restaurant for dinner and then to Dawn and Stevens
place out in the country and to set up the motorhome.
We had a delicious late supper with Helen, Donald, Dawn and Steven. Baked salmon with fresh garden salad and
homemade dressing, purple rice and fresh steamed asparagus. Mmmmmmm

Sunday May 7
This was a fun day where we got to know Dawn and Steven better, hiked the train tressle and surrounding trails after going
to the Sunday service at a very progressive, modern church with Dawn and Steven.

Monday May 8th
Rick did all his running around in Moncton while I caught up on the emails and figured out a cell phone system for Canada
since our US cell doesn’t work here. Dawn made us delicious nutritious meals which were a real treat for us. She had a few
people over and I presented again in the evening to a very excited bunch of women.
Tuesday, May 9th
Today was another easy day of hiking and making friends. We took Dawn and Steven out to supper at a vegetarian
restaurant for another delicious meal. Then it was off to present at the Amsterdam Inn and another packed house of people.

Wednesday May 10th
This was a planned fun day. We headed out in the morning, got our cell phone setup through Telus and PC long distance
card and then we went off to Boktouch Dunes(Bok toooosh) It was raining lightly as we got to the dunes area so we went
in and had our picnic in the clubhouse overlooking the water. It working out perfectly and we had the whole place to
ourselves as we sat in big chairs eating our lobster salad and snacks in this beautiful old log building. The whole area had
been donated to the people of New Brunswick by the Irving family for all to enjoy.
Then it was off for a tour of the stone and cherrywood church What a beauty. Dawn sneaked up and played the piano, what
a treat. Then walked the mile long boardwalk out on the dunes to see the birds and ocean views.
On our way home we stopped at the soapary where they prepare soap from scratch. Every conceivable type of natural soap
was available and we got to see how it was made. The we stopped at a little home winery and purchased elderberry wine. It
was the best tasting red wine I have ever had. Then we purchased some scallops and shrimp and headed home where Dawn
and Steven prepared a pasta dish with the scallops and shrimp to go with the Elderberry wine. Then we showed our pictures,
told stories and it was time for bed.

Nova Scotia
May 11-13
We arrived at Heather and Lloyds in Wolfville. Lloyd met us on the road and escorted us way up the hill to their property.
He is living on about 40 acres which is a portion of the same land his father owned when he was a boy. We got all parked
on the driveway which took some doing as there were a lot of low hanging tree limbs. We spent the 3 days having meals
with them and visiting with friends. Heather and Lloyd took us on a tour of Minas Bay area and the dykes. These dykes
were build up hundreds of years ago by the Acadians so that it could be farmed. This area is the richest soil in Nova Scotia
and is called the Annapolis valley. It is also warmer here (by about 10C) than anywhere else in Nova Scotia.

Sunday May 14 – May 16 Tuesday
We traveled down highway 101 to Aylesford in Nova Scotia. The campground is called Klahanies and it is a perfect
setting. The park is on 120 acres with lots of trails and ponds, the people are friendly. We took some time to RR after the
presentations etc, in Moncton and Wolfville.

Wednesday May 17, 2006
We headed down highway 101 and took in 2 National Historical sites on our way to Barton, NS. The first one was Port
Royal which is where Samuel de Champlain first landed in the 1600’s. It is a recreated fort built primarily for the fur trade
industry with the Miqmack Indians. There was a handmade birchbark canoe which was the first one we’d ever seen. They
were light and durable and easily repaired. Then it was off to Fort Anne which is the oldest and 1 st National Historic site in
Canada. It is a pentagon type of structure built into the ground on a high hill with deep grooves in the ground hiding the
walls. Very strategic feature to protect the wall from attack with the hill giving a vantage point. We toured the museum
which gave the history of the Acadian peoples. These were the original white people from France that settled in the area.
They were a neutral people and refused to take the sides of France or Britain in the wars of the times. Known as Acadia by
France and Nova Scotia by the British, it finally was ruled by Britain and its formal name of Nova Scotia remains today.
There is tons of history in this area because it was the first place inhabited by whites in the “New Land”.
We drove over the only tidal generating station in North America which is on the Bay of Fundy. It provides electricity to
the entire area.
Then we arrived at Maxine and Ivans in the afternoon. They have a beautiful place right on the ocean outside of Barton.
We went for supper to Chef Christope’s and had scallops and haddock. Mmmmmm . Then Ivan toured us down the coast
and we stopped in for dried seaweed which is a popular treat in the area.

May 18-19
We stayed at Ivan and Maxines and Alice and Franks and were treated to seafood chowder and then lobster. Their
daughter Cheryl came down and friends Ken and Lynn were over for the evening. Cheryl played the piano after a day of
touring Digby and the surrounding area which of course has the Bay of Fundy Tides. We ran the dogs both days on the
rocky beach where the tide was out. Most people are just now gearing up for the summer season and getting their homes
and yards ready for the summer.

May 20 Saturday
We headed out after a breakfast of French toast and a phone call to Dad for his birthday. We took the back roads up by
Bear River on Ivans suggestion towards Kejimujik National Park. We arrived by late afternoon and the day was sunny and
warm. There are black flies when the wind isn’t blowing and they are a bother. We hiked the lake shore with the dogs and
the wind was always blowing so there were no flies. This park is both a National Park and a National Historical area
because of the significance of the area for the Miq’mak Indians that had lived here for 5000 years before European
settlement in the 1600’s.

May 21 Sunday
The day started out cloudy but perfect for hiking so we sent up to the gold mine trail and then to Peters Point. There had
been a lot of gold seekers in the early 1900’s when gold was found in a stream bed when a fellow was getting a drink.
Although many people staked claims, very few were rewarded with gold. Of those that did find gold, it wasn’t the huge
goldfields they had hoped for. A few ounces here and there adding up to a few thousand ounces taken over a 10 year
period. Most of the mines were in the swampy areas and would fill with water after a rain so the going was tough .
Peters point was a spit going out into the lakes with a nice sandy beach. The black flies were so thick that they were
irritating so we had to constantly find the windy side. The scenery is breathtaking with the lakes and rolling hills, much of it
covered in very long pine needles that are obviously shed from the trees each year like the larch in Alberta. Rick prepared
the kayak for an outing on the river tomorrow.

May 22 Monday
It was another gorgeous day for hiking so we went up the 5.5km hemlock trail with the dogs. These trees are protected
within the national park and some are as much as 400 years old. Where people would be trampling the roots the parks
service had built boardwalks and there was signage all along the trail. In the afternoon we took the truck and kayak and
went to a starting point along the Mersey river. The trip down the river was fun with a few rapids and the river was flowing
about 10 km/hour. As we entered the mouth of the lake, we could see whitecaps on the lake as the wind had picked up. It
took us an hour of hard paddling to paddle around the points and back to our campground because the wind was strong and
the whitecaps about 1 foot high. Sure glad the kayak is stable in rough water. We had a parks service float plane fly over
us 4 times, I think because they thought we would capsize and have to rescue us. A hot shower and we were good as new
again back at the campground.

Tuesday May 23, 2006
Rick had an idea to take the motorhome and leave it at the starting point and take the truck and leave it at the end of the
river so we wouldn’t have to paddle across the lake again. I ran the dogs down by the lake for an hour while packed up
camp. We had another fun day as we rode the river down again to the mouth of the lake and picked up the truck and
headed to Graves Island PP just outside of Chester near Halifax NS. We stopped by Lunenburg on our way and saw the
Bluenose II which is the sailing ship on the Canadian dime. This town is very famous around the world because in the
1700’s people came to the area to farm. It was such poor farming that an entire generation retrained themselves to become
ship builders and fishermen. Not only did the do this, they became world reknowned for their skills and were the best in the
world for many years. Today it is a ship building port and tourist area. We stopped and had homemade ice cream and
even homemade waffle cones. Then we had to trek up the steep hill to where the motorhome was. Everything here is built
on a hill and overlooks the harbour. We parked at Graves Island PP.

Wednesday and Thursday May 24,25
What a beautiful day as we look over the harbour from the provincial park. Graves Island is all by itself connected bya
causeway and we have the whole park to ourselves. We are sitting on a piece of land that would be in the millions to
purchase and we have it all to ourselves for a mere $18/day. The weather is nice and perfect for hiking and looking over the
harbour at the boats. We traveled up the coast to Wayside RV park just outside of Peggy’s Cove.

Friday May 26, 2006
We got up early and ran the dogs behind the park as there are miles of quad trails through the hills here. We packed a picnic
lunch and it was off to Halifax for the day. We stopped at Pier 21 which is where immigrants first landed by sea in Canada
and anyone immigrating between 1929 and 1971. Excellent displays and videos depicting what immigrants went through to
get into Canada. Ricks Mom Mary came across in 1955 and came through Pier 21 and remembers it well. There was also
an excellent display of the underground railway which was smuggling slaves from the US into Canada and freedom.
Then we walked down the boardwalk and read the interpretive displays and arrived at the Maritimes Museum. We toured
the Halifax disaster Dec 6, 1917 which flattened a huge portion of the city when a French ammunition ship exploded in the
harbor after hitting another ship. This caused the largest manmade explosion in history before the atomic bomb of
Hiroshima. Another area of particular interest was the Titanic with video and artifacts.
We stopped at a little café and had corn, bacon, ham chowder before boarding the Tall Ship Silva for a sail around the
harbour. It was a fun trip with the 5 sails in the wind and to see how much work goes into sailing a ship. Then we headed
back to the RV Park.

Saturday, Sunday, Monday May 27-28-29
We arrived on Saturday afternoon at Wayside RV park, just outside of Peggy’s Cove by 20 minutes. It is a beautiful area
across from a small sheltered cove and there are miles of quad/walking trails behind the park. Sunday we took the dogs up
to the point for abreathtaking view of the harbour. The trail leads up from the campground and after a 20 minute climb, it
comes out in a field with benches. This is privately owned land and the owner allows all to use it. Then we went to
Peggys’ cove and amazing enough, I found the house and area that was the first picture I ever painted in oils. Peggys Cove
is named after a woman “Peggy” who was the lone survivor of a shipwreck in the early 1800’s. It is the most photographed
place in Canada as it is a little fishing village set atop thousands of rocks which were formed from Molten and then the ice
age glaciers. We went and saw the lighthouse which was originally built in 1868. A misty fog rolled in and made
everything cool and hazy looking. The we toured the William deGarth Gallery which displays 65 of his original oil
paintings and sculptures. Agnes deGarth, Bill’s widow donated her personal colletion on the condition a gallery be built in
Peggy’s Cove to house these pieces for the public to enjoy. Her husband had spent a lifetime painting scenes of the village
and his lasting tribute is a Fishermens Monument which depicts a tribute to local fishermen. There are three sections to the
monument made in granite. Work, Bounty and Grace. Work shows the fishermen doing their everyday activities, Bounty is
for the bounty of the sea and Peggy is shown with her basket, portraying her as keeper of the bounty. Grace is St. Elmo, the
patron saint of seafarers watching over the fishing family. The monument can also be seen as a progression through life. It
portrays the people of the cove moving from their earthly work as young people to their period of bounty when their work
has paid off to grace after death.

Tuesday May 30
Ran the dogs up to the lookout over the bay before we left the Wayside RV park. Then we travelled to Stellarton NS and
arrived around 5PM in the afternoon at Marilyn and Emery Rogers home. They have a nice big flat driveway which is
perfect for parking overnight. Marilyn had made a seafood chowder and fresh bread rolls for supper, mmmmmm. Then we
visited until about 11 and headed off to bed.

Cape Breton NS
Wednesday May31, 2006
Emery was off to work at his pharmacy and we visited with Marilyn in the morning. Then we headed off to Cape Breton
Island and after stopping at the visitors center, we were surprised to find out that the provincial parks in the area and a lot of
things we want to see don’t open for another 2 weeks. We arranged our route and will stop by and see the new place the
Rankin family just opened which is a place for fiddlers to entertain. We stopped at a bakery and met Wolfgang and Barbara
who in finding out we have a motorhome are interested in finding out about our Baja trip as they are going there next
winter. Being from Germany, they are also very interested in finding out more about our business. They told us about a
little place outside of West Mabou where there are miles of trails and ocean with beach called West Mabou Provincial Park.

Thursday June 1st
I painted today and Rick ran around in town. Then we took the dogs on a walk down to Whales Cove. In the evening we
went to “The Red Shoe” which is a restaurant pub with live music and it is owned by the Rankin Family. It was wings night
so we had garlic/honey wings and there was a fellow singing. Tomorrow night we will come back as it is the first night of
the season for fiddlers to play.

Friday June 2nd

We walked the trails down by the beach in the morning. We stood on a high cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and there
were about 10 lobster boats in the distance hauling in their traps. There were fiddlehead ferns all around us on the cliff and
nesting seabirds in the distance that went up in huge clouds all at once if disturbed. Rick called the local Kinsmen club to
find out if his friend Gerard was still in the Cheticamp area. We’ll wait for a return call if they can find him. In the evening
we went to the “Red Shoe” again as it is band night and Beulach was playing. They are a very well known band from the
area and there are 5 members. 2 Fiddlers, 1 guitar, 1 piano and 1 bagpipe/flute player. They are known for their high
energy Celtic sound and they were fantastic. As luck would have it, we ended up with a table right in front of the band so
we had an excellent view of everything and the music was superb. We bought their latest CD which is a compilation of
tunes with only instruments, no singing as they are not a singing band. We arrived home around 1PM, the stars were out
and it was a beautiful calm evening and as usual, we are the only ones in the Celidiah Cottage and RV park.
Saturday and Sunday
We spent another day at Celdiah Cottages and then drove to Cheticamp where we had phoned ahead and Gerard was going
to be home. We arrived at their home and parked alongside their house. They overlook the ocean from their home and on a
clear day, they can see whales breaching. It was rainy and windy so there were no whales but the view was terrific.
We had cod fish and chips for supper with Gloria, Gerard and their daughter Andrea. We visited and watched a movie
called “Spirit Bear” in the evening. This was a movie about a 15 year old boy in BC, Simon Jackson , who set out to save
the white Spirit Bears of BC. Not only did he save them and get the entire forestry industry to back down, he now has the
largest following of young people for the environment with over 60 million kids worldwide involved in conservation

Monday and Tuesday June 5-6
We entered the Cape Breton Highlands National Park and stayed at the Cheticamp campground. We hiked the skyline trail
which was about 8 km long and consisted of forest, bogs and wooden walkways all the way to a series of boardwalks
overlooking the Sea of St. Lawrence. The day was sunny and clear and we could see for miles . On our way through the
bog area there was a mother moose and her calf which appeared to be about Jaidas size and only about a week old. In the
evening we went to the la Buttereau cove to watch the sunset. We sat on the rocky beach in our lawn chairs with the dogs
shelling peanuts as the sun went down in a beautiful array of oranges and pinks.

Wednesday June 7th
We moved to Macintosh Brook campground which is about the ½ way point of the Cabot Trail. We are parked right
beside the river, what a peaceful soothing sound right out our window. We went to the whale interpretive center in Pleasant
Bay. It is run as a non-profit organization to educate the public about the 16 species of whales that are commonly found in
the area. It was too windy and the whitecaps were rolling in so we decided to forgo the whale watching trip to another time.
We drove up and read the interpretive signs along the highway which were about the geological features and animals and
sealife in the area. The we took the short hike up to Lone Shieling which is a replica of a Scottish crofters hut and the area
protects 350 year old Sugar Maples which have never been logged. We arrived back in time for supper and then we went
up to the falls which is about ½ hour from our campsite. Arriving back we met a couple from Germany who are in a
rented motorhome and invited them to our campfire to visit.

Thursday June 8th
Today the wind was really windy and foggy in the campground. We drove up to Beulach Ban Falls which is now a hike in
trail of 2km because the gravel road washed out. We drove past rock face cliffs that had beautiful colors of pink, grey,
green and black. The falls were nice, not a lot of water this time of year but it was obvious from the washouts that there
was a lot of water earlier in the year. We caught up on computer stuff and went down the trail from our campground in the
evening as the sky was blue and the wind was gone. Then we played Rumikin of which Rick won 2 games out of 3.
Tomorrow is my turn…..

Friday and Saturday June 9th and 10th
We moved to Hide A Way Campground in South Harbour. It is run by Alex and Susan and what a view we have of the
harbour. Our electrical didn’t work with the ground fault plugs so we moved over to the tenting area which is on the cliff
overlooking the entire bay. What a beautiful location and we are the only ones here. There are lots of walking trails and
the kayaking should be terrific. We walked the beach and the surf is pounding the sand and the tide is coming in. On the
way down the trail with the truck we hit a stump or something and the tire went flat. A quick fix with a plug and we were
on our way. We met Bob and Cheryl from Victoria who had arrived on bikes to the beach.
We took the truck and went up to Meat Cove which we had heard so much about. Good thing we didn’t take the
motorhome as the road is all sharp turns and gravel. Once at the campground there is a spectacular view of the ocean and
surf. The owner of the campground did his best to convince us that our motorhome would fit fine. Most of his spaces were
for tents and none of them were even close to level and all were on a grassy hillside. Should it rain it would be a precarious
situation to get up the grass with the motorhome and not slide off the 300 foot cliff into the ocean. Needless to say we are
staying put at Hide A Way.

Sunday June 11
We took the dogs on the trails and the fog was still very thick. The whale watching company “Fiddlin Whales” from
Pleasant Bay called and said the weather was clear there and that they’d be going out for 2 PM. We decided to head down
and go for a tour to see the whales on the east coast. There were 4 of us and then Capt Kinnon, his wife Tracy and their 2
daughters. We went way down the coast, almost to Cheticamp (40 km 1 way) The boat was a fishing boat that had been
converted to a 25 passenger touring boat and it was really comfortable and stable on the ocean. We spotted Fin whales
which are about 50-60 feet and very fast moving and shy. We had a good showing and got to within about 50 feet of them
before they would dive and not come up for 10 minutes. There were 5 of them including 1 baby. On our way back we
spotted the Minke whales a couple of times.

Monday June 12th
The fog has finally lifted from this area and we took the dogs on the trails and then it was off for a day of kayaking around
the South Harbour. We went to the oyster cages which are plentiful in this bay and the whole bay is leased by the fellow
Alex that owns the campground. There are cages floating close to the surface of the water with large oysters, then there are
netting with little ones attached in deeper water. We never did see the eagle and her eaglets as the trees are too thick to see
the nest this late in the year. Then we came home and Rick changed the lettering on the dish which is long overdue.

June 13, 14
We moved to Dino’s RV Park just outside of the Highlands park because the NP campground at this end is closed . We
took the Jack Pines forest trail and the coastal trail out of the Black Brook Beach picnicking area. We went up the coast to
the trails and they are fantastic. All grey rock from lava flows and the interesting part is the gorgeous pink stripes in the
rocks. Entire cliffs along the coast are all formations of these rocks. We learned that the Jack Pines only release their seeds
in a fire and this starts off the next generation of trees should a fire kill the area. We drove to another area and hiked in to
Mary Ann Falls and since we know Maryanne, we sent her a picture of her falls!

June 15
We headed down the Cabot Trail and stopped at Ingonish RV park which is the last one in the Cape Breton Highlands park.
We walked the area out by the ocean and found out that the remnants of the Florida hurricane is moving up the coast and
expected to hit tonight with heavy rain and winds. Sure enough , the rain started in the late afternoon and poured all night.

June 16,17
We didn’t get the really bad winds that hit Truro NS as we were more around the coast. There were a lot of trees down all
over the coast from the winds. We headed down to Pipers RV park and got a site right on the ocean. The weather is
beautiful and we decided to go and see Giant MacAskill who was 7 feet 9 inches and lived in the area in the early 1800’s.
The lady at the museum was a great niece of his and had collected different memorabilia. There was a statue which Rick
stood next to and he actually looked small compared to MacAskill who was 425 pounds. MacAskill was a true giant and
had no medical problems. There was the story on the wall of a woman born in this area too who was 7 feet 11 inches and
worked with Barnum and She married a fellow who was 8 feet tall.
In the afternoon we went to the trails and walked the salmon trail down by the river. Because the salmon have to jump up
so many falls in the area, only the biggest and strongest survive to spawn upstream and this leads to large 2 season winter
fish predominately in the area. It was a calm evening so we had a fire outside and met fellow FMCA’ers Sandy and Ron
who are fulltimers and have written a book on how to RV fulltime.

June 18 2006
Today is Ricks birthday so we started the day off looking over the ocean eating blueberry muffins and drinking coffee.
Then we headed off to North River Wilderness and Hiking Trails. We hiked the Falls Trail as far as the Settlement Trail
and the old Logging Camp. This area was first settled in the 1800’s and then logged in the early 1900’s . The trail is an old
cart trail and passes 4 water falls and follows the river. We had lunch along the river and then headed back. Round trip was
about 10 kms and it took us 3.5 hours. We went out for supper at the little restaurant and had roast beef dinner and Rick
finished his off with a Black Forest cake that the ladies in the restaurant served with a birthday song.

June 19, 20,21
Headed to Arm of Gold RV Park just outside of North Sydney in preparation for catching the ferry to Newfoundland. The
wind is blowing around 90km/hour so it is a very windy. We are overlooking the Bras de Ore Lake and this is a beautiful
campground. We need router work done on the truck so it had to go in for couple of days and wait for parts. Its all fixed
now. There are nice walking trails for the dogs and a lake which we go on a couple of times/day. On the 21 st we decided to
test out the whirlpool bathtubs. Wine, a candle and a gorgeous whirlpool, all compliments of the campground.

Thursday June 22, 2006
It was a beautiful day and the sun was shining so we set off to catch the ferry to Port A Basque, Newfoundland. The ferry
was late in arriving so we departed at 12:30 instead of 10:00AM. It was a smooth 5 ½ hour ride and we had fun playing
rummikin and talking with others on the ferry. We met a young couple from Alberta, Justin and Holly , another retired
fulltimer couple Ken and Bernie (Daisy the Boston Terrier) and 2 Canadian /Dutch couples. The Dutch couples were sure
that Rick was a dead ringer for a fellow they know named Jeff. They took pictures of Rick and will send us a picture of this
Jeff fellow.
We got off the ferry and headed to Paradise RV park. A gorgeous setting, campfire and good conversation with Ken and
Bernie and a couple from Labrador Ena and Ron.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday June 23-25
We arrived at Grand Codroy RV park about 35 km from Port Aubasq. The campground used to be owned by the family,
then the provincial govt and then back to the original family who has been on the land for 5 generations. Their names are
Alice and Dennis. We are overlooking the bird estuary where thousands of birds fly south or north depending on whether
its spring or fall. Not too many birds now but there are lots of song birds in the area and we took the kayak out. We also
went to the Wildlife museum which has taxidermy birds and animals set in their natural settings complete with painted
mural backdrops. All of the animals or birds died from drowning, hit by cars, electrocuted or in nets . They have done a
beautiful job and its amazing the size of some of these birds. One seabird is the Gannet and it has a wingspan of over 5 feet,
we saw some yesterday as they flew over the marshland but didn’t know what they were.
          We also went to the Codroy Valley Wetlands Interpretation Center near Upper Ferry. This is a joint community
project that has saved 2200 acres of privately owned land and made it into an estuary and educational area for students and
tourists to learn about the birdlife supported by this area. They had a bake sale so of course we bought baked goods and
decided we needed to buy a partridge berry pie . This is a pie made out of local berries. It looks like a Saskatoon berry pie
except it is quite tart. Delicious!

Monday June 26, 2006
W toured St. Stephens today and bought groceries, arriving late afternoon in the Zensville RV park just off route 460. This
is another old provincial campground turned private. Sure glad we’re not here in the summer busy time because they have
go carts, a swimming pool and huge games area so it must be just swarming with kids in the summer. We did laundry and
then walked the dogs to the river. Tons of hiking trails in the area and it is quite pretty.

Tuesday June 27
We ran the dogs in the morning and had blueberry muffins and then continued on down route 460 to what is known as The
Gravels. Now this name does not do the area justice as it is named after the old gravel quarry in the area. The town built a
trail following the coastline for 4.5 kms and what views there are. All along are little coves and inlets and the water is blue
/green and clear and not too deep. Seabirds are on the cliffs and its about 17C but feels much warmer because it is very
humid which is not normal for Nfld. We had lunch and then continued on to Cape St. George where we heard there is a
camping area overlooking the ocean and its free. Now we’ve really outdone ourselves this time. We are sitting in an old
provincial park which has been turned over to the local people. We are overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the birds are
singing and we should be able to see whales very close to shore. Supper is cooking as I write this , port roast in the
crockpot, mmmmm.

Wednesday June 28 2006
It’s a foggy rainy windy day so we went out on one of the trails and took pictures of the wildflowers which are everywhere.
Gorgeous purple iris, white daiseys, orange and yellow flowers, blue bells, little pink bells, pink flowers, you name it they
are all in a show of natures finest. The trail we were on had 300 foot cliffs to the ocean below and the view of what we
could see through the fog was spectacular. Then we decided to head to the other side of the peninsula to the Picadilly Park
area. Since the trees weren’t trimmed for the big rigs, the owner said to just go park down by the water in the day use area.
We have the best spot in the part. We overlook 2 different bays and its gorgeous. We walked the beach , one of the few
sandy ones in Nfld. The tide continued going out for about another 200 feet and Jaida didn’t even have to swim for the
stick, she could just wade in to get in on the way back. The wind had really picked up before we went to bed.

Thursday June 29, 2006
Now this is wind. It blowing in huge gusts and that strange mist has rolled in again, its like a cross of rain and mist and
takes a long time to get wet . We walked the trail called the bird blind which is behind us. Then we listened to some good
Atantic Canada music on the mp3 player which catching up on business.

Friday June 30
The sun was out and we decided to take a ride up to Long Point which is a peninsula jutting out in the water about 30 km
away. We stopped at Black Duck Brook area to walk the beach. Now this is a rock pickers paradise. Millions of little
colorful rocks that have been tumbled by the ocean currents into perfectly round, flat colorful shapes. The whole beach for
about 5 miles is all little rocks. Up from the beach is an area is muskeg an filled with low growing shrubs and wildflowers.
Then we continued up the road where the pavement ended and turned to gravel. The purple orchids in the ditch are
everywhere, vibrant purple and in patches of hundreds. We went up the point to a little fishing village of about 50 houses
perched at the very end of the point and the fishermen are busy bringing in their lobster traps as it is the last day of the
season. We drove up a grassy hill and had a picnic lunch overlooking the bay.

Shared By: