08.08.07 Page 1 of 8
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF RATBY PARISH COUNCIL ON
TUESDAY, 7TH AUGUST 2007 AT 7.15PM
AT THE METHODIST CHURCH HALL, STATION ROAD, RATBY
‘DRAFT MINUTES FOR CONSIDERATION’
PRESENT: Miss C Measures (Chairman), Mrs M B Joyce (Vice Chairman)
Mr A Blanchard, Mr M R Earl, Mr K Hunnybun, Mrs A Sutton.
(Cllrs C Boothby and L O’Shea were attending Hinckley & Bosworth
Borough Council meeting and would join this meeting later.)
Mr R Fraser (County Cllr.)
2 Members of the Public
Insp. Martyn Ball – Commander LPU
Sgt. Phil Tompkins
PC Justin Hayes
Madeline Arthur – Anti-Social Behaviour Co-ordinator (HBBC)
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
07/64 Apologies were received from Mr W J A Daly who is on holiday.
2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS
07/65 (i) Minutes of the meeting held on 6th June 2007, having previously been
circulated, were agreed, subject to the correction of ‘Ms’ to ‘Mrs’ Joyce, and were
signed by the Chairman.
(ii) Minutes of the Extraordinary meeting held on 20th June 2007, having previously
been circulated, were agreed and signed by the Chairman.
3. DECLARATIONS OF INTERESTS
07/66 Mrs Joyce declared a personal interest in both Youth and Allotments.
Mr Earl declared a personal interest in Youth and Churchyard. Mr Hunnybun
declared a personal interest in Parish Plan. Mrs Sutton declared a personal interest in
Parish Plan. Chairman declared a personal interest in Churchyard.
At this point the Chairman adjourned the meeting to allow questions to the
Police – (see Appendix 1). The meeting was reconvened at approximately
4. PROGRESS REPORTS
07/67 (a) C/Cllr R Fraser
(i) Reported that he had attended Groby Parish Council meeting recently.
(ii) T junction – Station Road/Chapel Lane – due to reports received regarding
poor visibility will take this matter up with Highways Dept.
(iii)Site meeting 3rd August re Bus stops in the village. At present operate a
‘hail & ride’ scheme. Meeting has suggested Bus stops at:
Whittington Drive x 3/Dane Hill/Ferndale Drive/Nicholas Drive/Tyler
Road/Taverner Drive. PTU (Passenger Transport Unit) will write to residents
involved. Meeting informed that invitation to Parish Council too late to
attend. Those wishing to know precise locations of Bus stops can view
report at Parish Council office.
08.08.07 Page 2 of 8
(iv) Private funding to University Hospital Leicestershire has been withdrawn
so there will be no traffic lights on A46. A new Park & Ride scheme will be
going in at Glenfield (A50).
(b) LRAPLC Report – previously circulated
(i) Chairman reported on AGM – LRAPLC has been renamed to LRALC –
Leicestershire & Rutland Association of Local Councils
(ii) Charnwood Forest – is being made into National Forest/World Heritage.
Housing need developments will be made outside boundary.
At approximately 8.23pm B./Cllrs Boothby & O’Shea joined the meeting.
(c) Borough Councillors Report
B/Cllr O’Shea – (i) DPPO- put question to HBBC meeting regarding alcohol
free zone in Ratby. HBBC in favour of putting Working Group together and
forming Committee –this will take approximately 12 weeks.
B/Cllr Boothby – Play Strategy put before B/Council to introduce more sport
and leisure areas across Borough and to put together £200K Lottery bid.
Ratby allocated £8,500. Bid will be submitted in September 2007 and results
will be known by January 2008. 4 Youth Workers will be included in the bid
and Ratby will be allocated 1.
(e) Youth – Mrs Joyce had written to Sports Club regarding the building &
Youth Club. Chairman of the Sports Club (Adrian McLeod) visited her and
said they were very interested in pursuing this jointly with the Parish Council.
This will be discussed at their meeting on Monday and hopefully it will be
B/Cllr O’Shea reported on the Skate Park – Both Governing Bodies have
approved scheme, subject to certain conditions. Formal approval has been
given to go out to tender for the project.
(f) Allotments – Tenancy Agreement circulated prior to the meeting agreed
subject to correction in para 2.6 ‘he’ to ‘the’. Proposal from Allotment
Association of £77.50 p.a.for rent of site. Mr Blanchard proposed £100 p.a.
seconded B/Cllr O’Shea – Vote: 6 for, 2 against – carried, to commence from
1st February 2008. For interim period from 1st August 2007-31st January 2008,
rent of £50 proposed by B/Cllr O’Shea, seconded by Mr Blanchard – Vote: 7
for, 1 abstention.
(g) Churchyard – Chairman attended meeting and informed Council that
Church seeking £20K for various works. Elaine Moore and Chairman looking
into grant funding. Should there be a shortfall, it is possible Church will seek
assistance from Parish Council to repair the boundary wall.
(h) Works Officer’s Report, previously circulated – see Appendix 2.
With regard to item 3 on Appendix 2, payment for the repair of damage to
garage, the Council agreed not to set a precedent and to insist that the
complainant deal with the matter through normal insurance channels.
At 9.01pm the meeting was adjourned to allow public participation discuss
planning applications and reconvened at 9.04pm.
5. PLANNING APPLICATIONS
07/68 B/Cllr O’Shea declared a personal interest at he is member of Planning
16 Field Lane – UPVC Conservation to rear elevation – No objections
The Railway Inn, 191 Station Road – alter existing external area/new access to
bar/pergola – No objections.
08.08.07 Page 3 of 8
Cow Lane Ratby – Change of Use of Motorcycle Track. Mr Blanchard
concerned that this was in National Forest and will set a precedent therefore
eroding the National Forest area. Also concerns regarding noise and dust
Holywell Farm, Desford Lane – Rebuild rear elevation/partial rebuild of S &
N Elev. New roof – No objections.
55 Church Lane, Ratby – Works to Tree (Scots Pine) No objections. B/Cllr
Boothby to take this up with HBBC.
6. LOCAL HISTORY GROUP
07/69 B/Cllr Boothby declared a prejudicial interest in this item and withdrew from
Discussed Local History Group’s submission regarding 113 Main Street Ratby.
Agreed send letter of support to HBBC.
07/70 First quarter’s accounts having previously been circulated, were accepted,
proposed by Mr Earl and seconded by Mr Hunnybun.
8. VILLAGE DESIGN STATEMENT
07/71 (a) Agreed to affirm previous Council’s decision to proceed with Village
(b) To select Parish Councillor to start this project. Chairman proposed Mrs
Joyce since she had already done some groundwork, seconded by B/Cllr
Boothby – Agreed. Mrs Joyce will contact Stuart Field and follow this up.
9. REVIEW OF POLLING DISTRICT & POLLING STATIONS
07/72 Discussion re Polling Station at Church Rooms. Agreed acceptable therefore
no change. Observation made that more signage required when Polling
10. FERNDALE PARK
07/73 (a) B/Cllr Boothby informed meeting that Community Garden still
outstanding on Ferndale but anxious to proceed as soon as possible. Earl Shilton TC
has recently installed Community Garden and it will supply details of its contractor
etc. Observations made that this could be done by volunteers from the village.
Council informed that the donation of approximately £600 still remains set aside for
(b) B/Cllr Boothby and Mr Earl had a meeting to consider additional equipment at
Ferndale, including a swing slide and a Teen shelter with solar panels. However, any
additional equipment may have to wait until 2008/09 due to financial constraints.
Burroughs Recreation area will be included in any scheme and consideration is being
given to a Trim Trail at this site. Mr Blanchard proposed that the young people be
involved in any discussions, since their requirements may have changed. Mr Earl
volunteered to lobby teenagers/youths to find out what they would like on the Parks.
(c) Mr Hunnybun suggested another look at the entrance to Ferndale again and also
the provision of a Junior Skatepark, plus the location of the Toddler area, since this
formed part of the original architect’s plan. Informed meeting that before work
started at Ferndale, £30K had been spent on Burroughs. Lengthy discussion ensued.
Equipment on Ferndale in situ, therefore will remain so. Chairman requested that
08.08.07 Page 4 of 8
Lockley Close entrance be looked at to see I anything could be done to stop quadbikes
etc., entering the park.
(d) Mrs Sutton requested removal of knee rails as they are unsightly. Council
informed that knee rails were requirement/condition of Parish Council obtaining a
(e) B/Cllr Boothby requested approval for the removal of the Nest Swing since this
had been broken and repaired twice and the supporting arms had been ripped out.
Council could remove the top bar and replace basket with 2 pod swings at a cost of
£1,076. Agreed to remove nest swing and store.
11. RCC TRUSTEES
07/74 RCC seeking nominations for Trustees. Mr Hunnybun volunteered and will
submit the papers direct.
12. ITEMS FOR INFORMATION
07/75 (a) List of Payments were agreed:
C/No. 103057 Ratby Methodist Church £40 Room hire x 4
103058 L M Fogg £48.69 Reimbursement.to Petty Cash
103059 SCH Supplies £235 New water pump for bowser
103060 Mrs M E Sharp £19 Plants for Planters
103061 Mr A Withers £44.93 Plants for planters
103062 Playsafety Ltd £282 RoSPA Safety Inspection
103063 LRAPLC £75 Councillors’ Training
103064 Comm-Spray Environmental £159.80 Dog Waste Service
103065 ESPO £92.97 Stationery supplies
103066 Allianz Cornhill Insurance £351.62 Extra premium (Toddler)
103067 RCS Cobley £176.25 Grass cutting Ferndale etc.
103068 Post Office (PAYE) £770.22 PAYE
103069 Suttcliffe Play South West £52875.06 New Play eqpt.(Toddler)
103070 BAB Grounds Maint. £1530.00 Final/Termination payment
103071 Ratby Village Society £47.58 Refund duplicate payment
103072 HBBC £2163.40 Election expenses (May 2007)
103073 Comm-Spray Environmental£159.80 Dog Waste Service
103074 Danwood Group £23.63 Photocopying charge
103075 Post Office (PAYE) £612.53 PAYE
103076 Ratby Methodist Church £20 Room hire x 2
103077 Ratby Parish Plan £483.88 Refund VAT (Basket trees)
103078 Comm-Spray Environmental£199.75 Dog Waste Service
103079 G&G Signs £39.12 Playground safety signs x4
HBBC £76.00 Council Tax June/July
British Gas £24.00
SITA £55.32 Skip Hire Ferndale
Salaries £3082.80 July/July
(b) Parish Plan Advisory Committee – Mr Hunnybun reported that at last
meeting revisited Parish Plan Report and draft questionnaire (see Appendix 3)
had been prepared and was put on the table for other Members, with any
comments requested by 20th August 2007. Suggestion made by Mr Earl that
age ranges needed to be altered to 22-45, 46-65 instead of 22-65 – Agreed.
08.08.07 Page 5 of 8
13. CLERK’S REPORT ON URGENT DECISIONS TAKEN
07/76 (a) Final/termination payment of £1530 to BAB Grounds Maintenance
calculated on basis of last 2 quarters invoices divided by 2. KGB Grounds
Maintenance now fulfilling requirements of grass cutting contract in the interim until
March 2008, when new contract will be let. The approximate cost of carrying out the
default works will be in the region of £1000, although no invoice has been received
(b) Items for Information:
(i) List of telephone calls/visits and letters/emails received are no longer circulated
with Agenda/Minutes. A log of this information is kept in the Office and anyone
wishing to view the same may do so.
(ii) Orchard Group is holding a ‘Pond Dipping’ event on 8th August at 7.30pm.
(iii) Severn Trent Water have been approached to fit a water meter at the Parish
Council Office. Installation Free of Charge and will take approximately 2-3 hours to
complete – agreed..
(iv) Leicester Cathedral – Invitation to the Service to Commemorate the 10th
Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales – Sunday 2nd September 2007
This being all the business, the meeting closed at 10.10pm.
Attachment No. Title Minute Ref. Page No.
1 Mins.5th & 20th 07/65 1
2 Planning Apps. 07/68 2&3
3 Parish Plan Mins. 07/75 4
Signed as a true record of the Meeting:
08.08.07 Page 6 of 8
RATBY PARISH COUNCIL MEETING – 7TH AUGUST 2007
POLICE REPORT & QUESTIONS
Insp.Martyn Ball – Commander Hinckley& Bosworth Local Policing Unit introduced
himself to meeting.
Q. Mrs Joyce – on Saturday night youths were painting out car number plates,
street names etc. what can be done?
A. The Police are making a concerted effort to cover Ratby on Friday & Saturday
nights. Regarding under-age drinking, commercial premises in the area have been
tested by both Police & Trading Standards Officers for selling alcohol to underage
youths and approximately 60% had failed.
Q. Mr Hunnybun – Village Hall has suffered minor vandalism, damage to
building, graffiti and also at Sports Club – what can be done?
A. Operation Order specifically for Ratby to try and combat this using CCTV and
also officers using cameras.
Q. When people ring 222 2222 they are told to ring 101. What’s happening?
A. Ratby is not included in 101 and HBBC does not subscribe to this service,
although if messages left they do reach the correct place via this source.
Q. Are Police aware there are 2 entrances to Ferndale?
A. Sgt. Tompkins informed meeting that he is aware of both entrances and has
observed from Lockley Close entrance.
Q. Chairman – Are Police prepared to put something in Local & WOT magazines
to get message across to people that they should report incidents direct to Police?
A. Happy to do this in both magazines with photographs so that residents have
necessary information and contact numbers. Visibility is of paramount importance.
Q. Mr Earl – Video recording, can public record?
A. Would advise against this as it may put residents in danger.
Q. Mr Earl – Alcohol – Is anyone aware that someone in Markfield Road is
selling alcohol to underage youths?
A. Commercial premises only tested. Some parents drop off kids with alcohol in
Blaby & Whetstone.
Q. Mr Blanchard – A lot of young adults come from other areas in Leicester and
are selling drinks in the Park.
A. Madeline Arthur (Anti-Social Behaviour Co-ordinator HBBC) responded by
stating that a number of names had been taken and letters were sent out. She also
stated she had leaflets regarding anti-social behaviour and would leave these for
PC Justin Hayes (0334) informed meeting that he has met with Lynda Ince, Chairman
of Neighbourhood Watch and will concentrate on community policing aspect in
Q. Mr Stanley – Some £193K is allocated to Police Service yet police presence in
village spasmodic – Why?
A. Visible police presence is Justin there are also specialist services including
Intelligence Units/CID etc., which are countywide, plus major crimes and money goes
towards these units also.
Q. Will high visibility of police solve the problem?
08.08.07 Page 7 of 8
A. No, since officers have to be deployed to respond to major incidents, serious
crimes etc., and with limited resources major incidents take precedence.
Q. Police did come to Ferndale on Sunday- they drove round and sat in the car in
the car park. Why didn’t they walk into the park?
A. (PC Hayes) All the officers know what has happened in the past. It is a new
role for me and Jo Astley and Ned Kelly and I work shifts and 3 PCSOs so there
should be more of a visible presence in the future.
Q. Children’s play area – shards of glass there but why did no-one turn up on
Friday and Saturday?
A. Operation Order says that dedicated Police Officers will respond to these
problems from now on.
Q. C/Cllr Fraser – I understand that the CRDP (Crime & Disorder Partnership) is
failing. What’s happening?
A. (Madeline Arthur) It is not failing. If you would like to see what we are doing
I can get you some information.
Q. To PC Hayes – How long are you likely to be our Community Police Officer?
A. (PC Hayes) I’ve been with the Force 12 years and anticipate I will be here for
at least 2 years.
Crime Figures in Ratby – July 2007
1 Burglary 05/07/07 – Whittington Drive – Front widow forced-occupants on holiday
1 Burglary other than dwelling – 20-21/07/07 – Heathbrook Drive – Garage door
forced – trials bike taken.
4 Damage – 07/07 – Main Street – Fence panel damaged
19.07 – Ferndale Drive – Fence panel damaged
21/07 Village Hall – Kitchen window damage and graffiti on wall
30/07 – Primary School- PE Shed set alight
2 x Damage to Motor Vehicle
07-08/07 – Station Road – Wing mirror smashed off along with side window smashed
22-23/07/07 – Charnwood Drive – Wing mirror smashed off
4xTheft from Motor Vehicle
04/07 – Ingle Drive – Sat Nav taken
07/07 – Burroughs Road – Laptop/CDs taken
22-23/07 – Station Road – Car Stereo
23-24/07 – Station Road – Diesel siphoned out of work lorries
28-29/07/07 – Station Road – Pressure Washer taken
There were no more questions to the Police and the Chairman thanked the Police and
Madeline Arthur for attending.
08.08.07 Page 8 of 8
WORKS OFFICER’S REPORT APPENDIX 2
1. Ground Maintenance Contract
Following the departure of Nathan (BAB Grounds Maintenance), I am sure you are all
aware of the bad state that the Parks and other open spaces got into, This was because
of Nathan’s long drawn out resignation and yet more broken promises, coupled with
the task of asking other contractors to submit tenders for the contract after meetings
with myself and Linda. We have now a new contractor in place who has done so far,
an excellent job. The company is called K.G.B. and they are based in Anstey.
We have settled our financial commitment to Nathan which actually worked out to
our benefit and K.G.B. will continue with the contract until April 2008 when all
Grounds Maintenance contracts are to be renewed.
2. Ongoing Projects
Due to bad weather, Greg Thurlow has been unable to hay cut the Balance Pond Field
on Taverner Drive. This should soon be rectified and he is also preparing a
maintenance plan report for J. Cawrey so that he can hand over the New Balance
Pond to us, as agreed.
Greg has also been asked to submit quotes for work to be done on the following areas:
Conifer caravan park – Dead oak tree on perimeter, overhanging orchard field
Overfield Walk – 3 major boughs have come down in a garden and 2 on the walk
itself., Tree has to come down as remaining bough’s are unstable. This work has
agreement from HBBC as TPO in place on the tree.
Grange Close – 3 tall trees need to be trimmed as debris is falling into residential
property and on to vehicles.
Totem Pole Field – need new quotes for rolling year plan for small wood at the rear
for grants from LCC. Also work to be done on the pond.
3. In reference to the above, a large tree bough from one of our trees came down in
her garden and caused minor damage to her garage. This damage consisted of
loosening 2 or 3 tiles from the roof and ripping off a small section of guttering.
Having talked to resident, she has expressed a wish that this Council pays for the
repairs and does not wish to go through her insurance. She alleges that this would
have a financial impact on her policy as she receives a substantial discount for no
claims. I have arranged for Greg to remove the bough in the first instance and it is
now for this Council to decide how to proceed with this. Either we arrange and pay
for the repair or request resident to go through her insurance.
Verbal quotations from Greg Thurlow:
(a) Lee Rise – Removal one major bough and 3 boughs from upper specimen Silver
(b) Overfield – TPO Ash Tree – To remove £150.
(c) Conifers Mobile Park – Dead Oak Tree – To take all the top dead limbs out and
leave with trunk - £300 OR
Removal of whole trunk, take away etc. - £550.
(First option will reduce risks, hazards etc.)
Agreed works be carried out, accepting first option for Conifers Mobile Park.
Chris Boothby - Works Officer