Parkside - DOC by decree


									                                                                    Agenda Item: 13.1
                                                                   Paper No: TB(08)17

                         TRUST BOARD – 15 January 2008

Document Title       Press Summary

Report Author(s)     Esther Ferguson, Communications Manager

Lead Director        David Astley

Contact Details

Aim                 To inform the Board of press coverage in which St George‟s NHS
                    Health Trust is mentioned.
Key Issues for the Board

The report provides a summary of press coverage for the period 17th December 2007 to
3rd January 2008

Mitigating Actions (Controls)

Recommendations to the Board

To note the report

Equality Impact Assessment

Has an EIA been carried out         No – collation of press articles that mention the

Key Issues from Assessment

Risk Implications for St George’s (including clinical and financial consequences)

Other Implications (including patient and public involvement/ Legal/ Governance/
Diversity/ Staffing)

Corporate Objectives that the report links to

                                                                                       Agenda Item: 13.1
                                                                                      Paper No: TB(08)17

                                                                         Blackshaw Road
                                                                         SW17 0QT

                                                                         Direct Line: 020 8725 5151

Communications Unit
Room 37, First Floor, Grosvenor Wing

(17.12.07 – 03.01.08)

Man arrested following DJ's death in Wandsworth (online 02.01.08)

A man has been arrested following the death of DJ Kevin Greening at a Wandsworth home.
The man, who is aged in his 50s, was held at the house where the former BBC Radio 1 breakfast
DJ's body was found at the weekend.
Police arrested the man on suspicion of possessing and intending to supply class A drugs.
He was quizzed by officers and released on bail until March.
Mr Greening, 44, died in his sleep on Saturday and police say they are treating his death as
A postmortem examination carried out yesterday at St George's Hospital, Tooting, has not
established a formal cause of death and further tests have been ordered.
The case is being investigated by detectives from the Met's Specialist Crime Directorate under
Detective Chief Nick Scola.
Mr Greening co-hosted Radio 1's breakfast show from 1997 to 1998 with Zoe Ball.


Good Health (02.01.08)

Sir, on behalf of St George‟s Healthcare NHS Trust, I‟d like to wish all Wandsworth Borough
News readers a happy and healthy Christmas.
I‟d also like to take the opportunity to thank all my colleagues at St George‟s for their hard work
during 2007. In many different ways, they have contributed to providing the quality patient-
centred care for which St George‟s has always been renowned.
Many will be taking a well-deserved break this festive season but there will be others who will be
working on public holidays to care for patients and ensure the smooth running of the hospital.
It is this kind of dedication and compassion that gives me confidence that, whatever challenges
2008 brings, St George‟s will achieve its goal of providing world-class healthcare for the people of
Wandsworth and the wider community.

Naaz Coker, Chairman, St George‟s Healthcare NHS Trust

                                                                                         Agenda Item: 13.1
                                                                                        Paper No: TB(08)17

Xmas birth (02.01.08) (with picture)

The little angel below was born on Christmas Day at St George‟s Hospital. Melissa Fianko gave
birth to a boy weighing 6 lbs 9oz at 2.52am in the Gwyillim Ward. He has not yet been named.
He was one of 13 Christmas Day babies born at the hospital in Blackshaw Road, Tooting.

Implant lets girl hear Christmas for the first time (28.12.07)

A two-year-old London girl was able to hear Christmas for the first time this year.
Thamanna Nowzad was born deaf in both ears. After trying powerful hearing aids without
success, doctors at St George's Hospital, Tooting, gave her a cochlear implant.
It uses a microphone to convert sound into electrical pulses which are then fed into nerves in the
ear. Over time, the patient's brain learns to recognise these signals as sounds.
Doctors say Thamanna, from Hounslow, is now hearing like a newborn and will soon start
interpreting and mimicking sounds.
At the moment only one electrode is switched on. In time, that will increase to 22, increasing the
range of sounds she can hear.
"She cried as soon as it was turned on," said her mother Shaniba, 30. "It was a completely new
sense for her. We have to clap in different areas of the room and introduce new sounds like a
doorbell or telephone ring. Last week we played a game of musical chairs. Before, I used to clap
to let her know when the music was on but now she is learning by herself."
Her parents hope she will soon be able to rejoin her playgroup and be able to speak words within
a year. They say Thamanna has struggled to cope with her deafness.
Her father Nowzad, 32, said: "It was difficult at first but gradually she would point at things and I
would make gestures with my hands to signal things like 'It's time for sleep' or 'I am sad' or 'We
are going out'."
David Selvadurai, implant director at St George's, said children react in different ways to the
device being turned on.
"Some cry, some run to their mum," he said. "One girl was so pleased she went and flushed the
loo to hear the sound.
"I can't tell you the delight I feel when a child is 'switched on'."

NB ITV regional news programme London Tonight also came to St George‟s on Friday to film
Thamman and her family.

Girl hears for first time at Christmas after ear op (26.12.07, front page with pic)

A special little two-year-old heard Santa's sleigh for the first time this Christmas, after receiving a
life-changing operation at St George's Hospital.
Thamanna Nowzad was born deaf in both ears. After trying powerful hearing-aids without
success, doctors at the Tooting hospital decided to perform a cochlea implant in November.
Last week was the moment of truth for Thamanna Nowzad, and her nervous parents, as doctors
turned on her hearing device - and Thamanna could hear for the first time.
"She cried as soon as it was turned on," said mum Shaniba, 30. "It was a completely new sense
for her."
Her parents, who lived in Battersea but moved to Hounslow last year, hope she will be able to
rejoin her playgroup in the new year, and be able to speak words within a year.

                                                                               Agenda Item: 13.1
                                                                              Paper No: TB(08)17

The implant, which only two hospitals in the country can implant, allows Thamanna to hear
through her right ear by stimulating electrodes in the hearing nerve which in turn sends a signal to
the brain.
Doctors said Thamanna is now hearing like a newborn, and will soon start interpreting and
mimicking sounds. At the moment only one electrode is switched on. In time, that will increase to
22, increasing the range of sounds she can hear.
Implant director David Selvadurai said children react in different ways to the turn-on.
"Some cry, some run to their mum, but one girl was so delighted she went and flushed the loo to
hear the sound," he said. "I can't describe how much pleasure I get from seeing a child who has
just been switched on. Especially when you see the progress a year or two later."
Shaniba said: "We have to thank the hospital, Dr Selvadurai and our deaf teachers Penny Allen
and Deborah Rix. Now we can look forward to the new year."

Womble’s special delivery (26.12.07)

A Wimbledon Womble had a very special delivery for some poorly Tooting youngsters last week.
Children at St George‟s Hospital were presented with more than £800 of toys from Wimbledon
Celtic Supporters‟ Club this week.

Hospital Chairman thanks author for his donation to child patients (26.12.07)

A Guyanese author from Streatham has donated the proceeds from his first book to help children
at St George‟s Hospital in Tooting. Vidur Dindayal‟s book, Guyanses Achievers UK, catalogues
the lives of successful Guyanese people who have made contributions to their community. His
donation will go towards a Ruth Griffiths kit, which is used by therapists and consultants to assess
how a child is developing.
The article concludes with a quote from Naaz Coker, Trust chairman.

Review of the year 2007 (26.12.07)

February: St George‟s Hospital admitted that one in 200 of its patients had contracted the
superbug Clostridium difficile (C diff) in the last year. This was revealed as a far more serious
problem than MRSA. C difff is extremely contagious and can develop into a potentially fatal
illness. Emma Wil, who grandmother Joan Hickman died at St George‟s after contracting C diff,
was shocked that this could have happened. “She had only fallen over but developed this C diff
two months later and then never returned,” she said. “People need to know how rife it is.”

Wandsworth PCT and St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust (26.12.07, Community News

Wandsworth residents are being asked not to come to hospital or visit their GP surgery if they
catch a winter virus causing vomiting and diarrhoea.
St George‟s Healthcare NHS Trust and Wandsworth Teaching Primary Care Trust have joined
forces to raise awareness of the norovirus bug, which is usually over in 48 hours and is rarely
serious, but which spreads very easily from person to person.
The only treatment is to rest, drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration and let the illness runs
its own course. The virus will pass after around 48 hours. Washing hands thoroughly and using
disinfectant to clean up contaminated surfaces is advised. People who think they have the virus
are urged to call their GP or NHS Direct on 0845 4647

                                                                                         Agenda Item: 13.1
                                                                                        Paper No: TB(08)17


Giving thanks (26.12.07)

Sir, I would like to thank the kind couple who stopped outside Deepak foodstore in Garratt Lane
on Sunday evening at 6pm to help my elderly mother who had fallen on the pavement by calling
an ambulance and waiting with her. They did not know that she had broken her hip and collar
bone. She is in St George‟s Hospital where she has just had surgery and will be spending
Christmas. I hate to think what would have happened if these two Samaritans had not stopped to
help and give them my grateful thanks.
Carol Williams, via email

Russell Watson reveals for the first time the full horror of the brain tumour that nearly
killed him (22.12.07)

A full length feature on singer Russell Watson who recently underwent emergency surgery for a
second brain tumour. He had surgery for a first tumour at St George‟s Hospital in Tooting in
September. The feature outlines his experience of having a second brain tumour, his decision to
delay emergency surgery in order to say „goodbye‟ to his children, and his rise to stardom, as a
performer of opera and classical music, from a working class background.

You can bring Tooting families together this Christmas (19.12.07)

Not many mothers have planned their baby's funeral. But Sarah Wallace has already thought
about the songs she wants played for her only son, Calum, who was born premature and has a
hole in his heart. He has never been home, having spent his 15 months of life in St George's
Hospital, Tooting.
Sarah knows if he does survive, Calum's quality of life will be poor, and doctors at one stage
advised her to turn his life support machines off. But now he has started to laugh, and to smile.
Sarah is one of eight mums who live at the Ronald Mcdonald House, a home from home for the
families of severely ill children being treated at St George's. Some youngsters, like Calum, are
undergoing operations after a premature birth; others are fighting cancer. Many will be here on
Christmas Day.
Set up two years ago, the building sits next to the hospital so mums and dads have a place to
stay for the night when they leave their child's bedside - a much needed resource.
"This is the most thoughtful thing I've ever heard of," says Ebby Akwiwu. Her daughter, Jasmine,
was born at just 25 weeks in August. "I can leave her at 11 at night or one in the morning. If I
went home I'd feel I had abandoned my child, but I would crack if I stayed in the hospital.
"When your child is ill anything can happen, and if it does I am just three minutes away."
Inside the centre are eight bedrooms, a kitchen, a laundry room, a TV room and a quiet room,
often used by families who are taking in some bad news.
Ronald McDonald House is run by former nurse Jeanette Hill, who becomes like family to the
people who stay here.
Parents come to Ronald Mcdonald from as far away as Brighton and Devon. Many children are
transferred to St George's because of its specialist paediatric units.
The house has been full, with a long waiting list, since it opened two years ago this week.
The article concluded with an appeal for donations.

                                                                                       Agenda Item: 13.1
                                                                                      Paper No: TB(08)17


Firm joins Santa for gift giving at children’s ward (19.12.07)

Sick children at St George‟s Hospital got a Christmas treat last week when Santa dropped in with
a sack of presents. Manheim Cars, an auction company in Wimbledon, donated 60 gifts to the
playroom in the Lanesborough Wing last Tuesday. The playroom provides morning and
afternoon sessions of play and learning to children waiting for or recovering from operations at
the hospital in Blackshaw Road. Linda Falzarano, playroom coordinator, said: “We were trhilled
that Manheim Car Auctions has chosen the children at St George‟s and amazed that they were
able to get Father Christmas and his helpers to take time out of their busy schedule to deliver the
presents in person.”

637 complaints about hospitals (19.12.07)

St George‟s NHS Trust has received 637 complaints so far this year, new figures show. A
Freedom of Information request found almost all the complaints were about St George‟s Hospital,
with just three made about Bolingbroke. Last year a total of 746 complaints were received by the
Trust, down from 857 in 2005.

Wandsworth Borough News

Proud of the community‟s constructive 2007

St George‟s is mentioned in the Christmas letter from Tooting MP Sadiq Khan which generally
praises people in the community for their efforts during 2007. This includes the following

“Parents, carers and teachers continue to work together to try to get themost out of our local
school to help our children fulfil their potential, while our nurses and doctors continue to go the
extra mile at St George‟s and at our GP practices.”

Mystery fall man named (19.12.07)

A MAN who died after a fall outside the Water End Barn pub in St Albans was named today.
James David Johnson, 29, who lived in Stevenage and was born in Welwyn Garden City, died
from traumatic skull and brain injuries at St George's Hospital in Tooting on Friday.
He had been on a night out with friends when he was discovered by staff in a stairwell leading to
the pub's cellar at around 1am the previous weekend on Saturday December 8.
An inquest into his death was opened and adjourned for a later date today.
Police are not looking for any third party in connection with this incident.

Countess of Wessex has baby boy (18.12.07),,30100-1297370,00.html

The Countess of Wessex has given birth to a baby boy, Buckingham Palace has announced.

                                                                                         Agenda Item: 13.1
                                                                                        Paper No: TB(08)17

The new addition to the Royal Family weighed 6lb 2oz and was delivered safely by caesarean
section at 4.20pm at Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey. The baby is the Queen's and the Duke of
Edinburgh's eighth grandchild.
Sophie, 42, and the Earl of Wessex were said to be "absolutely thrilled" with the new arrival.
Outside the hospital, Prince Edward said it was "brilliant" to be present at the birth and that his
wife was recovering and "doing very well". "She will obviously be here for a couple of days," he
said. The couple had not yet chosen a name.
The couple already have a daughter, four-year-old Lady Louise Windsor.
The Queen and the Duke and Sophie's father Christopher Rhys-Jones were said to be "delighted"
at the news.
For the birth of her second child, the Countess turned again to the hospital which saved her life
during the arrival of her first.
Frimley Park, close to her home, Bagshot Park, was where she was rushed in 2003 after
complaining of severe internal pains when she was eight months pregnant with Lady Louise
Doctors found the Countess dangerously ill from blood loss and performed an emergency
Lady Louise was transferred to St George's Hospital in Tooting, London, for specialist care, while
the Countess remained at Frimley Park, herself dangerously ill.
Lady Louise was the first grandchild of the Queen to be born on the NHS.

Similar stories in other media
This is


Man died following mystery fall (17.12.07)

A 24-year-old man, who was found with serious head injuries near a St Albans pub in the early
hours of December 8, has died.
The Stevenage man, who has not been named, was found in a critical condition with head injuries
near the Water End Barn pub.
He was discovered by pub staff in a stairwell leading to the pub's cellar - accessible from an
alleyway linking Victoria Street and Civic Close. It is believed the man left the pub at around
12.40am and was discovered in the stairwell at around 1am. Pub staff called the emergency
He was taken to St George's Hospital in Tooting, where he died on December 14. Police are not
looking for any third party in connection with this incident.


To top