Fraud Prevention Identity Theft

Document Sample
Fraud Prevention Identity Theft Powered By Docstoc
					            Fraud Prevention & Identity Theft

The Lamar Police Department is committed to empowering the citizens of Lamar through
education regarding criminal activity. The Lamar Police Department is committed to
providing information and tips to prevent its citizens from becoming victims of fraud or
identity theft.

What is Identity Theft?

The Federal Trade Commission defines "identity theft" as a fraud that is committed or attempted,
using a person's identifying information without authority.

How Can I Prevent Identity Theft?

     Never carry your Social Security card, extra credit cards, or your medical insurance card in

your wallet or purse. Only carry them with you if you will be using them that day. If an identity thief
steals your wallet or purse with the above items, the thief will have everything needed to steal
your identity.

     Do not carry your check book with you unless you will be using it that day. Thieves break

into cars and snatch purses and wallets for both checks and credit cards.

     Be very careful about what you throw in the trash. Identity thieves will go after your bank

statements, credit card statements, new credit card offers, and other personal information. If you
throw these items in the trash, purchase a cross-cut paper shredder and shred everything before

     Make a photocopy of your credit cards as well as everything else in your wallet to store in a

safe at home or safe deposit box at your financial institution so that if you become a victim of
identity theft you will have all of the needed contact information available to you quickly. You may
also want to keep your last month's statements on file to have access to the same information.

     Never provide personal information over the phone, fax or computer. Only conduct financial

business with the people you know and trust.

     Reduce telephone solicitations by signing up for the Colorado No-Call List online or by

calling 1-888-249-9097.
     Participate in the national no-call registry by going online to or by calling

1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236).

     Remove your name from the National Direct Mail advertising lists. Send your name and

address with a written request to: DMA Mail Preference Service, ATTN: Dept. 12059580, Direct
Marketing Association, P.O. Box 282, Carmel, NY 10512. You can also visit their website and
register online ($5.00 fee) or use a free mail-in option.

     Verify the accuracy of your credit information. Get a copy of your free annual credit report at .

What should I do if I become a victim of identity theft?

     Contact your bank and credit card issuers immediately by telephone and later in writing.

Keep copies of all correspondence and documents exchanged with each creditor. Keep a phone
log of all conversations.

     File a report with your local law enforcement agency. Obtaining that report will help you in

dealing with your banks, creditors, and credit reporting agencies.

     File an ID Theft Affidavit with the Federal Trade Commission. You may also wish to file a

complaint. Filing this report will assist the FTC with compiling statistics on identity theft and fraud.
Your report could also assist local law enforcement with identity theft investigations. You may
also telephone them at 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357).

     Contact all three of the major credit reporting bureaus to place a fraud alert or a credit

"freeze" on your credit file. File your local law enforcement report and the ID Theft Affidavit with
the credit bureaus as well. Colorado Law then requires the credit bureaus to then block any new,
negative credit information resulting from the theft of your identity. As of July 1, 2006, you may
put a permanent "freeze" on your credit report even if you are not a victim of identity theft. There
is no fee to "freeze" your credit report the first time, however there may be fees to release your
"freeze" either temporarily or permanently. Contact the Credit Bureaus for further information.

                              Contact Table for Credit Reporting Agencies
        P.O. Box 740256            Consumer Fraud Division
       Atlanta, GA 30374
         P.O. Box 9530             National Consumer Assistance
        Allen, TX 75013
                                   Fraud Victim Assistance            1-800-680-7289
         P.O. Box 6790
      Fullerton, CA 92834
     If your checks have been stolen or misused, stop payment. Contact the major check

verification companies to request that they notify retailers using their databases not to accept
these checks.

                                    Check Verification Companies
        National Check Fraud Services            1-843-571-2141
                    SCAN                         1-800-262-7771
                                                 1-800-710-9898 or
                  CrossCheck                     1-707-586-0551
            Equifax Check Systems                1-800-437-5120
         International Check Services            1-800-526-5380

     Notify your phone company if the identity theft involves the misuse of a long-distance

telephone account, cellular telephone or telephone service.
If you are having trouble getting fraudulent phone charges removed from your account, contact
the Colorado Public Utilities Commission at 303-894-2000.

     Notify the U.S Postal Inspector's Service or call 303-313-5320 (Denver Office) if you suspect

that your mail has been stolen or diverted with a false change of address request. You may want
to also contact your local post office immediately to file a corrected change of address form.

     Notify the Social Security Administration if you suspect that someone is using your social

security number to obtain credit or employment at 1-800-269-0271 (TTY: 1-866-501-2101). It may
be a good idea to obtain your Personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate Statement (PEBES) and
check it for accuracy.

     Notify the State Department if your passport has been stolen at: US Department of State,

Passport Services - Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section, 1111 19th Street, N.W., Suite 500,
Washington, DC 20036. 1-202-955-0430.

     If you are contacted by a collection agency about a debt for which you are not responsible,

notify them immediately in writing that you did not create the debt and that you are a victim of
identity theft, and provide them a copy of your ID Theft Affidavit by registered mail so that you
have proof that you contacted them. If they continue to contact you, file a complaint with the
Colorado Collection Agency Board, 1525 Sherman Street, 7th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. 303-

     If your driver's license has been stolen or if you have reason to believe that someone else is

using your driver's license number contact the Division of Motor Vehicles and click on Fraud and
Identity Theft or call 303-205-8383. You may also visit your local DMV office located in the Lee
Shopping Center at 109 W. Lee Ave, southwest corner of the complex.
     If someone has falsely used your name when committing a crime and has been arrested or

charged, please contact the Colorado Bureau of Investigation Identification Unit in order to
dispute the information on your criminal history at 303-239-4208.

Contacting Social Security
The Social Security website is a valuable resource for information about all of Social Security’s
programs. There are a number of things you can do online. Please go to

In addition to using the website, you can call toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. They can answer
specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. They can provide information by
automated phone service 24 hours a day. (You can use their automated response system to tell
them a new address or request a replacement Medicare card.) If you are deaf or hard of hearing,
you may call the TTY number,

The Social Security Administration treats all calls confidentially.

The above information provided by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations,,
and the Lamar Police Department. Critique