Reading Groups Weekly Plan Term 1 Week 6
Reading Strategies (WALT’s)
Structure of a Guided Reading Lesson: Decoding I can: Comprehension: I can:
1. Share the WALT and unpack what it means 1. Use word chunks to work out unknown words. 1. Find key words and phrases that give specific
2. Co-construct success criteria. Use Deliberate Act of 2. Use the meaning of the sentence or paragraph to help information.
Teaching (DAT) to explicitly teach strategy me work out unknown words. 2. Use my previous knowledge to understand text.
3. Give students practice using the strategy; relate the 3. Work out what the next word might be by using my 3. Make predictions which help my understanding.
strategy to the chosen reading. knowledge of correct grammar. 4. Summarize texts stating the main ideas.
4. Check that the success criteria has been 4. Use prefixes and suffixes to work out unknown words. 5. Ask questions about a text to help my understanding.
accomplished 5. Use word families to work out unknown words. 6. Identify words that need clarifying; use strategies or
6. Use phonetic blends to work out unknown words. tools to clarify.
7. Use my skills to take risks and give a word a try. 7. Create mental images while I read to help my
Red Blue Silver Green
Reading: Reading: Reading: Reading:
School Journal Pt 1 No 4 2009 School Journal Pt No Fact Sheet:
Get Your Hands Dirty Pg 22 Pop and Pie Pg 3 Building a Worm Farm
Lesson Order: We are (unpack the rubric). Lesson Order: We are (unpack the rubric).
Outline the purpose of using strategies. Outline the purpose of using strategies WALT: Find key words and phrases that give
WALT Identify words that need clarifying; use WALT Find key words and phrases that give specific information.
strategies or tools to clarify. specific information.
Pre/Post Reading Activities Post/Pre Reading Activities: Post/Pre Reading Activities: Post/Pre Reading Activities:
1. Research plants that can be sown and 1. Design a sign on paper for our Room 3 1. Write out a set of instructions to create our
planted February/March (Make a list of Garden own worm bath (Include a list of materials)
desirable plants) 2. Choose the best parts of group designs and
2. go to Bunnings and buy plants draft and paint the Class sign
3. Sew seeds in seed trays. Plant veges in
4. Design watering chart
5.Research fertilizing needs and hazards to
health of plants
Writing Activities: Writing Activities: Writing Activities: Writing Activities:
1. Consider the problem Pop had with his
magpie and how he solved it. Write a plus,
minus, Interesting list
2. Create a solution of your own and justify
why your solution is better than Pops