Anticipation Guide for “The History of Kissing”
Prereading: Take turns reading each statement with your partner. If you believe the
statement is true, put a check in the AGREE column. If you believe it is false, put a
check in the DISAGREE column.
During: In the verification column write the page number, column number, paragraph
number, and sentence number that verifies the information in the statement.
After: Get with your original partner or in a group of 4 students. Explain your answers to
the group using specific facts from your text.
Using the information in the key concepts on this chart, write a paragraph that
summarizes the main points in this text. Your paragraph should have a main idea
sentence, 3-5 supporting details (sentences that support the main idea sentence), and a
Agree Disagree Statement Verification
1. Kissing was originated by the
Greeks as a means to greet each other.
2. Location on the body for placement
of a kiss was determined by a
person’s rank in the Middle Ages.
3. “I kiss the ground you walk on”
came from the required location of
placing a kiss (or greeting) on
4. During the Middle Ages it was
legal to kiss someone in a class above
5. At one point in history kissing
stopped due to the fear of disease.
6. The hand kiss became the
7. The first romantic kiss was
exchanged in Egypt in 1500 B.C.
8. Romantic kissing was a result of
mothers chewing up food for their
babies and then feeding the babies the
chewed up food from her mouth to the
9. Kissing was used as a way to cool
people down when it was hot.
10. Kissing has magical powers.
11. Kissing was a part of the signing
of legal documents.