Online practice tests, live classes, tutoring, study guides
Q&A, premium content and more.
The Scientific study of the Human Body
History of Anatomy
• 500 B.C. formal study in Egypt
• Earliest description done in papyrus 3000 and 2500B.C.
• Hippocrates, early taught in Greece(460-377 B.C.)
• Aristotle, first to use anatome ( 384-322BC), cutting or
taking apart or “Dissecare”
• Versalius,1543. “De Humani Corporis Fabrica”masterpiece
• Hieronymus Fabricius, 1537-1619. constructed the
Anatomical theater in Padua. discovered the valves in the veins
• William Harvey, discovered blood circulation, 1628.
Exercitatio anatomica De Motu Cordis et Sanguinis in Animalibus.
• 17th Century, human dissection became important feature in
European medical schools.
• 18th and 19th century anatomist published treaties for
standard medical study of human body. Body snatchers.
• 1832, Britain