HAAS AUTOMATION SERVICE BULLETIN #292
To: All Haas Dealer Principals and Service Personnel
From: Stephen Kovinchick
Date: May 20, 1999
Subject: 50 TAPER TRP INSTALLATION
Note: THIS BULLETIN IS FOR DEALER INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.
50 TAPER TRP INSTALLATION
The following sections must be completed after installation:
• Tool Push-Out Adjustment
• Setting TRP Switches
• Extension Tube Installation ( if equipped with TSC)
Tool Clamped Switch Tool Unclamped Switch
TRP Shims Fork Shims
(1 ea.) 0.093 Nylon Washer
(2 ea.) 0.010 Shim Washer (1ea.) 0.010 Shim Washer
(7ea.) 0.018 Shim Washer
(3 ea.) 0.015 Shim Washer
Fork Gap Drawbar Gap
Figure 3-10.. Shim and spacer location diagram.
1. Place the TRP on the machine. The TRP will rest on the spindle lift fork. Caution: Be careful of
the spindle lift fork. Place the assembly toward the front of the machine before lowering it. The
assembly is heavy so use great care when replacing it.
2. Install the 4 bolts, with the shim stock and spacers under the TRP.
Part No. Description 30-0013A (NEW) 30-0013 (OLD STYLE)
Fork: (45-0014) 0.010 Shim Washer 1 ea. None
(45-0015) 0.018 Shim Washer 7 ea. 5 ea.
TRP (45-0019) 0.093 Nylon Washer 1 ea. 1 ea.
Spacers: (45-0017) 0.010 Shim Washer 2 ea. 2 ea.
(45-0018) 0.015 Shim Washer 3 ea. 2 ea.
(Note: TRP Spacers: the nylon washer goes on top of the shims.)
3. If the machine is equipped with TSC, re-install the Extension Tube and Rotating Union in the
following manner. Otherwise, skip this step.
a) Put a tool holder in the Spindle (this is absolutely required!!).
b) Prevent Spindle from rotating to allow for tightening of Extension Tube (inserting a bolt into
one of the holes in the pulley and bracing a bar against the inside of the spindle head is one
way of doing this).
c) Apply grease lightly to the o-ring on the end of the extension tube.
d) Apply blue Loctite to end of extension tube threads.
e) Insert the extension tube into drawbar. The Extension Tube has left hand threads. Tighten
the Extension Tube and turn until the reference marks line up (there should be a paint line
on the extension tube and on the drawbar).
f) Check the runout of the extension tube with a dial indicator at the top of the extension tube.
If the runout is greater than 0.010 TIR max., follow the instructions for Adjusting
Extension Tube Runout.
g) Slip Support Bracket over Rotating Union (check that the edge strip is intact).
h) Lightly grease the o-ring on the Rotating Union, and install the union onto the top of the
extension tube (it has left hand threads). Tighten using two wrenches.
i) Install the (4) support bracket screws loosely. Allow the Rotating Union to find its own
center. Tighten the screws carefully so the bracket does not pull to one side.
j) Apply grease to the surface of the Rotating Union that passes through the Support Bracket.
k) Connect the hose to the check valve assembly and the drain line hose (secure the hose with a
cable tie so coolant drains downward to protect rotating union).
4. Plug the 3 air hoses in the TRP.
5. Plug in the clamp and unclamp switches.
6. Set the main air regulator to 85 psi.
Note: The following two Sections must be completed.
Tool Push Out Adjustment
1. Put tool holder in spindle.
2. Place machined aluminum block onto machine table. Place a clean sheet of paper under the
block to protect the table.
Figure 3-11. Pushout Adjustment.
3. Jog Z-Axis down until tool holder is about 0.030 above the aluminum block. Switch to 0.001
increments. Jog down one increment at a time until no movement can be felt in the block.
This is our zero point. Do not press the tool release button now, this can cause a Z-Axis
4. The Tool Push-out adjustment is 0.060 +/-0.010. Add or remove shims from the tool release
fork to make adjustments. The shims come in 0.010 and 0.018 thicknesses.
Jog upward 0.060. Press and hold the tool release button, and feel for movement in the
- If the block is tight when the button is pressed, shims may have to be ADDED to the tool
- If the block is loose when the button is pressed, shims may have to be REMOVED from the
tool release fork.
(This is the opposite of 40 taper adjustment.)
- If the aluminum block is tight at 0.060, release the button and jog the Z-Axis up 0.001 and
press the tool release button again. Feel for movement in the aluminum block. Repeat this until
movement is felt. Note the last position where the block was tight. If the position is 0.070 or
more, add shims to the tool release fork.
- If the aluminum block is loose at 0.060, jog the Z-Axis downward 0.001 at a time and check
for movement in the aluminum block. If the position where the block becomes tight is 0.050 or
less, remove shims from the tool release fork.
5. If shims were added to the TRP fork, add half that amount to the TRP spacers supporting the
TRP. This will keep the two clearance gaps between the TRP and the rotating Spindle equal
(approximately 0.095 each). If shims were removed from the TRP fork, remove half that
number of shims from the TRP spacers.
6. Apply red grease to the shoulder bolts used to mount the TRP when the shim adjustments are
complete. Use blue Loctite on the threads.
Figure 3-12. Fork shim location.
Tool Clamped Switch
(1 ea.) 0.093
(2 ea.) 0.010
(3 ea.) 0.015
Figure 3-13. TRP shim location and TRP Switches
Setting TRP Switches
Figure 3-14. Tool Clamp / Unclamp Switches.
1. Setting the upper switch (Tool Clamped). Push the switch in slowly until it trips, then push it a
little farther. Lock down the screws. Double-check the switch by turning on the TRP a few
times. The bit in the Diagnostics Page should always turn on (1) when the TRP is completely
2. Setting the lower switch (Tool Unclamped). Use the air pressure regulator on the back of the
machine or an extra regulator placed in line.
a) Jog the Z-Axis to 0.030 above the aluminum block.
b) Put a jumper across the air switch to prevent a low pressure alarm.
c) Back off the air pressure to around 65 psi (75 psi for old style TRP’s).
d) Press the tool release and check for movement in the aluminum block. Adjust the air pressure
until the block is loose at 0.030 +/-0.005.
e) While holding the Tool Release Button push the switch in until it just trips (the bit on the
Diagnostics Page should change to “1”). Lock down the screws. Double-check the switch by
turning the TRP on and off a few times.
f) Back off the air pressure until the block is loose at 0.020 +/-0.005. Press the tool release
button, the Tool Unclamped bit in Diagnostics should remain “0”. If not, repeat the above
3. Restore air pressure to 85 psi and remove jumper.
Adjusting Extension Tube Runout
0.005 Max TIR Drawbar Alignment
1. Place a tool holder in the spindle.
2. Remove Extension Tube (it has left hand threads).
3. Remove TRP.
4. Prevent spindle rotation. Re-install the extension tube, and tighten.
5. Use a paint pen and mark the extension tube and Drawbar with a reference mark on the side for
6. Manually bend the extension tube, and check runout with a dial indicator until the runout is less
than 0.005 TIR. (Runout will increase slightly upon removal and replacement.)
7. Remove the Extension Tube.
8. Re-install the TRP.
9. Re-install the Extension Tube (apply blue Loctite to the threads and align the marks).
10. Recheck Runout, 0.010 TIR max. (must be checked with a tool holder in the spindle).