Docstoc

Responses from

Document Sample
Responses from Powered By Docstoc
					Illegal Dumping Forums – Evaluation Report
Prepared by Karen Cosson 1 July 2006
The 3 forums held across the state in the first week of June attracted 223 delegates from state and local
government, catchment management authorities, Connex, private companies and consultants.

Forums were held in Milawa on Monday 5 June, Melbourne Wednesday 7 June and Traralgon on Friday 9
June 2006.

A total of 123 or 55% or delegates completed evaluations at the end of the day. In Milawa this accounted for
71%, in Melbourne 53% and in Traralgon 46% of the total delegates in that location.


                                           Illegal Dumping Forums

                160
                        141


                120
  Number




                80               75


                                                     41                                   41
                40                                                 29
                                                                                                   19


                 0
                         Melbourne                        Milawa                           Traralgon
                                                       Location

                                                 Attendees          Evaluations



Over 95% of delegates surveyed were very satisfied with all aspects of the forums.


                                 Delegate Satisfaction Rates

                100
   Percentage




                 95




                 90
                      venue           location            catering                value
Ninety eight percent of respondents believed the facilitators contributed to making it a good forum. Learning,
the workshops, case studies and RID Squad expertise all rated highly as the most valuable aspects of the
forums – not to mention 15% said ‘all of it’!


                                    Delegate Rating of What Was Most Useful

  30%




  25%




  20%




  15%




  10%




   5%




   0%
          Learning more      Workshop/s        RID Squad           All of it       Enforcement   Case studies


Capacity Building
Around 50% believed that they had acquired the knowledge and resources to implement a program in their
organisation! A further 21% believed that they probably could do this. This demonstrates an effective
capacity building event which will need to be followed up at a later date to determine the level of follow
through.


             Have you learnt enough about effective illegal dumping programs to implement a
                                               program?

  50




  40




  30




  20




  10




  0
                    Yes                          yes .. prob                      no/not sure
Needs identified by delegates to implement effective illegal dumping programs
Overwhelming delegates identified more workshops on education and communication, and investigation and
enforcement, with about one third wanting smaller style workshops. Just over 20% of respondents took the
time to outline what further resources or events they would like which included:
  More success stories
  RID Squad in Victoria
  Data to substantiate costs/benefit to assist/justify allocating resources
  Internal council workshops to establish ownership and responsibilities
  Collaboration and partnerships
  A resource kit with the all the materials (tape, signage, postcards/letters, etc.)
  A brief ‘Master Class’ for CEO's and councillors

Verbatim responses are included in Appendix I.

A schedule of future workshops will be one of the first tasks of the new Litter Champion.

                                                What other events or resources do you need?

                 60




                 50



                 40
    Percentage




                 30



                 20




                 10



                 0
                      Enforcement & Investigation   Education & Community   Workshop style but smaller   Other
                              Workshop                    Workshop



Suggestions for Improvement
Respondents made many suggestions for improvements (see full verbatim list at Appendix I) which can be
summarised as follows:

        Data on the 'real' cost impost to councils
        More specific Victorian case studies & regional comparisons
        Greater depth of Victorian legislation and local laws in the Enforcement Workshop
        More time to explore specific types of illegal dumping and to work out education and communication, and
         investigation and enforcement strategy; to leave with an action plan
        More opportunity to network - share ideas with others
        More regular updates, only for 1/2 day
        Workshop that mixed up the diff groups
        More time generally and for questions
        Smaller groups
        More information on the psychology of the dumper
        Improve the legal framework section to make stronger
 Add a police/VicRoads/registration authority to advise vehicle checks
 Invite more managers to the forum from all authorities

What was not covered
 Incentives for councils to participate in something like the RID Squad and ideas on how to set up a
  Victorian RID Squad or a better system that all authorised officers can use
 More info on the issue of dumping at a state (Victorian) level
 Opportunity to share information re programs with some of the other participants
 Loop holes fixed up in the legislation
 What to do next. Can we link up with regional stakeholders
 What the Victorian EPA is doing about dumping and how are they supporting councils
 More detailed description of Environment Protection Act
 The role of environmental health in illegal dumping

Reaching the target audience
Almost half of the respondents heard about the forum through direct VLAA contact of emailing the flyer,
which shows good coverage of the target group, however this could be improved. A further 21% heard
about the forum from a colleague.

                                        How did you hear about the forum?

  50%




  40%




  30%




  20%




  10%




   0%
          VLAA email        Colleague            Other         RWMG            Council          Internet


What was least useful

Only 15 delegates identified what was least useful. Responses focused on the workshops (enforcement 4,
education and communications 5, evidence 6).
Recommendations

1. Develop a schedule of regional / council ½ day workshops across Victoria looking to
   commence in October-November 2006.
2. Develop an Illegal Dumping Resource Kit (barricade tape, signs, stickers, etc.) as a
   capacity building incentive for councils.
3. Identify incidents for joint council and EPA investigation to use as capacity building
   case studies.
4. Develop a dedicated area of the EPA website for information, case studies and
   discussion in 2007.
Appendix I Verbatim Responses

Q4 If you could suggest an improvement what would it be?
   Data on the 'real' cost impost to councils
   More specific case studies & regional comparisons
   Suppliers of tape etc with prices
   More handouts
   Workshop #2 needed more depth - tools used in Vic (EPA & local laws)
   Sit down lunch
   More videos
   More handouts
   More time to explore specific types of illegal dumping and to work out education and communication
    strategy
   Email a contact list of participants for future networking
   Legislation
   Agenda outline
   More opportunity to network - share ideas with others
   More regular updates - 1/2 day
   Shorter morning tea (15 mins) - earlier finish
   Larger venue
   Longer - 2 days
   More enforcement issues
   Workshop that mixed up the diff groups
   More case studies
   We need to come up with an action plan at the end
   Time
   More networking opportunities
   More Victorian reps
   Coordination of state Govt and local Govt illegal dumping prevention activities
   Lot more to learn but good start
   Less cramping of the seats
   Smaller group
   Psychology of the dumper
   More time for questions
   Enforcement from different work groups
   CMA's need a forum on waterways
   Smaller group
   Starting to workshop how local councils etc can begin dealing with illegal dumping
   Less waffle
   Workshop around table - perhaps id common probs & form focus groups around prob
   More expertise regarding Vic issues
   Legal framework section wasn't very strong
   Add a police/VicRoads/registration authority to advise vehicle checks
   Some higher level DSE rep/attendance (managers as well as field staff)
   Invite more managers to the forum
   Less break time, more local speakers
   How state Govt authorities will assist $ / action
   Shorter lunch
   Specific examples of what has worked
   Shorten feedback from groups
   Tip management and lack of services providing small rural towns i.e. Recycling services
   More actions - make a meeting date. Venue for next meeting with GRWMG bigger room
   More local examples

Q5 Was there anything you were hoping to gain from the forum that was not
covered?
   Incentives for council to participate in something like RID
   More info on the issue of dumping at a state (Vic) level
   Would like John Karner participating to build networks - Foster his role!
   No, a variety of ideas, problems was >>>>>missing text
   Ways to deal with gaining positive media coverage and more effective education tools
   Opportunity to share information re programs with some of the other participants
   Loop holes fixed up in the legislation
   Collaboration of our local laws officer - perhaps have council groups work together
   Knowledge from other councils
   Greater detail on small urban dumping events & solutions
   OH & S issues
   What to do next. Can we link up with regional stakeholders
   Strategies on dealing with dumped rubbish
   Keep learning
   What is Vic EPA doing, and how are they supporting councils
   More detailed description of EPA act
   Education
   How the CMA can become more effective (probably in the kit?)
   Environmental health - of role in illegal dumping
   Was hoping for it to be directed at Environmental Health a little
   Assistance with specific on-road probs
   Roles & responsibilities
   More legislation and how people can get authorised as LEO's and take action
   To develop a rid squad in Vic or set-up a better system that all authorised officers can use
   Would like to have heard/discussed VicRoads position re litter removal/prevention
   More info what is happening in the north -east
   Effectiveness of controls
   A clear focus for the Gippsland region and commitment from stakeholders to go forward
   Specific examples to take home
   Wavering tip fees for land mgt agencies to get rid of dumped waste (Shire rep perspective)

Q 9 Types of events or resources required – those who ticked ‘Other’

   Attitudinal change
   Collaboration if councils & VicRoads would be most effective - hard when isolated
   Video to show local councils
   Success stories in relation to addressing dumped rubbish on railway land.
   Success stories in relation to evaluating cost benefits, effectiveness of programs tracking dumping etc
    (education and enforcement).
   Resource: research into dumping (i.e. similar to litter behaviour/attitudes - research into people who
    dump, not just community attitudes)
   RID squad Victoria!
   Explore local laws and EPA instruments.
   Data to substantiate costs/benefit (to assist/justify allocating resources)
   Short, Master Class for CEO's and councillors to increase Council conviction.
   Approaching multi-culture backgrounds, habits mainly - to educate - needs more
   Establishing an illegal dumping prevention / enforcement program within council - initial steps - setting
    responsibilities, developing action plans, getting the community involved … it would be useful to discuss
    the process of getting it off the ground in more depth (not just the investigation/enforcement strategies)
   Network (i.e. ongoing meetings)
   Legislation changes
   Case studies for sharing with LG
   In-house council workshop involving all staff and managers to engage them into what strategies are out
    there and tools and resources and cooperation required
   Interview techniques - EPA Act, note taking and brief preparation
   Standard notices, advertising material, TV & radio commercials
   Tool kit of illegal dumping resources
   Follow-up meetings sooner rather than later
   Linking with other authorities (i.e. research names, addresses for Vic Police)
   Workshop to bring all stakeholders together to work at where to from here
   Education to high level council managers - decision makers
   Inform field officers of their roles and management of what our responsibilities are and authority we have
   Info about case studies/other municipalities strategies on an ongoing basis
   Business specific workshop. An analysis of dumped material e.g. concrete/soil/timber/ adjacent to rural
    properties - proof of ownership?
   Resource kit to do campaigns e.g. tape, night vision goggles, signed vests, movable signage, material for
    letter box drop encouraging people to come forward with information
 Facilitated workshop between council departments so we can establish a system to deal with illegal
  dumping i.e. processes to follow when reported, what info to record etc. Training of collectors to make
  'good' judgment calls on when to call in investigators.
 Development a regional focus or strategy and coordinated effort so everyone is working together
 Visit to council by other officers who have dealt with problem successfully

Q10 Other comments
   Well managed workshop. We learnt a lot in very short period. Well organised and no time wasted at all
   Forum & content was most beneficial
   Should have been more people here. They missed out
   Very useful. Having such a diverse range of presenters and attendees from various fields was very good.
   Well done. This was another great VLAA event
   The EPA, I feel, do not perform. I applaud the reverse onus concept for reporting individual vehicles etc.
    However I am disappointed that the EPA will call, or tell people to call the council when they ring in with
    an issue. I feel their only interest is in the large $ value enforcements. Issued in our living and working
    environment are covered by a range of legislation. The OHS legislation for example has indirectly
    resulted in a visible and growing number of inspectors. Inspectors for the EPA could also be upgraded in
    quality in a similar manner.
   More time
   Thanks Karen!
   Very well done
   Commendable effort. Some ?? Learnings inspiring and will be deployed via intense network
   Excellent workshop - well presented & excellent speakers - well done!
   Well worthwhile
   Well presented and very formal
   Was well presented & provided plenty of useful information
   Must get more organised for the venture to succeed
   Very informative; well planned forum
   Very well run and attended forum. Good work. Well advertised and promoted
   Well done. This was another great VLAA event
   Councils need to work more closely with EPA
   Ethos of sustainable litter management, but that’s a long story for politicians perhaps. (e.g. Free
    recycling/entry to shire rubbish depots - deposit system on packaging - not just bottles/cans)
   Like to see a program like rid in Victoria. I think more info sessions in Victoria for State Government
   Very well run workshop
   More local relevance
   Guest speakers were excellent
   Enjoyed it
   Our positions do not cater for a specific program. Funding for position to specifically handle this issue
    would be required
   Was great to see initiatives that could be applied to WA context
   Overall a good forum - excellent reference material (litter prevention kit)
   Have enjoyed the day

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:7
posted:4/12/2010
language:English
pages:8