Kindergarten Form of Writing: Narrative
Assignments: Personal Experience (small moment), Journal Entries
Benchmark: Students will be able to select a topic, use detailed drawings and write at least three sentences. The
sentences should describe the beginning, middle and end of the story.
Organization • Writing has a beginning, middle, and an end.
Ideas • Writing focuses on one topic or idea.
• Illustrations enhance the writing.
• Writing makes sense.
• Ideas include a few interesting details
Voice • Writing uses feeling words to describe the topic.
Word Choice • Writing uses words correctly
• Writing attempts to use descriptive words
• Words match the illustration.
Sentence • Writing uses sentences.
Fluency • Sentences are easy to read.
Conventions • Writes left to right and top to bottom.
• Writing uses spaces between words.
• Writing uses phonetic spelling.
• Writing shows high frequency words spelled consistently.
• Writing has an uppercase letter at the beginning of the sentence and correct punctuation.