This is an agreement between a landlord and a tenant for an at will tenancy. Generally,
at will tenancy can be terminated by either party at any time upon thirty (30) day notice.
This particular agreement requires the tenant to pay a fixed amount of rent on a monthly
basis. This document contains numerous standard provisions that are commonly
included in these types of agreements, and may be customized to fit the specific needs
of the contracting parties. This agreement can be used by landlords, property owners,
or property management companies that want tenants on an at will basis.
Tenant at Will Agreement - Residential
TENANT AT WILL AGREEMENT – RESIDENTIAL
THIS TENANT AT WILL AGREEMENT (the “Agreement”), is made this ___ day of
______________, 2_______, by and between ________________ (the “Landlord”) and
___________________ (the “Tenant”).
NOW THEREFORE THIS AGREEMENT WITNESSES, that for good and valuable
consideration of the mutual covenants and agreements contained herein, the receipt and
adequacy of which is hereby acknowledged, the Landlord and the Tenant hereto covenant and
agree as follows:
1. The Tenant will rent from the Landlord and the Landlord will rent to the Tenant the
Premises municipally known as _______________________ (the “Premises”).
2. The Tenant will commence rental of the Premises on the ____ day of _____________,
3. The Tenant will pay to the Landlord on the _____ (___) day of each and every month the
sum of ____________ ($______) Dollars (the “Rent”) for the rental of the Premises. The Tenant
will supply to the Landlord on the ______ (___) day of each and every month, a check in the
amount of the Rent to be delivered to the Landlord at the Landlord’s address referred to herein.
4. In the event the Tenant’s check for the Rent is returned due to insufficient funds, the
Landlord shall charge the Tenant the sum of _________ ($_____) Dollars in addition to the
monthly Rent due and owing.
5. The tenancy may be terminated by either party by written notice to the other party before
the first day of any rental period and shall be effective on the last day of that rental period, or
thirty (30) days after such notice has been given, whichever is longer; provided, however, that in
the event of any breach by the Tenant of this Agreement, the Landlord will be entitled to pursue
any and all remedies provided by the laws of the applicable jurisdiction. Upon termination of
this Agreement by either party, the Tenant shall deliver all keys to the Premises directly to the
6. The Tenant is not permitted to paint or otherwise alter the Premises without the prior
written consent of the Landlord.
7. The Tenant will at all times keep and maintain the Premises in a clean condition and a
good state of repair free and clear of debris.
8. The Tenant shall not at any time or permit any party who may be in the Premises to cause
unnecessary noise and disturbance to others and shall not use the Premises at any time for any
9. The Tenant shall prior to commencing the tenancy at the Premises, obtain and maintain
content insurance on the Tenant’s personal items and effects and shall furnish to the Landlord a
copy of such insurance coverage.
10. The Tenant shall promptly pay and any all utility bills, including but not limited to, bills
for electricity, gas, water and hydro, as they become due. The Tenant shall be solely responsible
for the payment of any cable, telephone or internet connections, costs and bills for the Premises.
11. The Landlord agrees that it shall repair or replace any damaged or defective locks on the
Premises following receipt of a notice from the Tenant that locks are in need of repair. The
Tenant shall not at any time, change, replace or alter the existing locks on the Premises without
the prior written consent of the Landlord. In the event the Landlord grants permission to the
Tenant to change, replace or alter the existing locks on the Premises, the Tenant shall provide to
the Landlord a key for such new locks within _____ (___) days of the Tenant changing,
replacing or altering same. In the event the Landlord changes, replaces or repairs the locks on
the Premises, the Landlord shall provide to the Tenant a key for such new locks immediately.
12. The Tenant hereby agrees to indemnify and save the Landlord harmless from and against
all liability, loss and damage which may arise as a result of any nuisance made or suffered on the
Premises by the Tenant or