HEAD HUMAN RESOURCES- JOB DESCRIPTION
1. PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
To implement and manage the delivery of an integrated and professional human resources management strategy, in
partnership with the business, aimed at ensuring the ongoing acquisition, development and retention of appropriate
human capital aligned to strategic business objectives, to ensure good performance and maximum returns.
2. KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS (KPA’s)
2.1 BUILDING BUSINESS PARTNERSHIPS
• Establishes and maintain effective working relationships/partnerships with key internal stakeholders
(executives, line management and staff) in the business to ensure that business challenges and HR needs
and priorities are understood and suitably addressed.
• Establishes clear Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with the business units and ensure that these SLAs
2.2 MANPOWER PLANNING
• In consultation with line management, compiles manpower plans for the business units, taking into
account strategic objectives, key posts, staffing capacity, skills levels and skills requirements.
• Draws up succession plans for the business to ensure:
a) sustained investment in intellectual capacity
b) creation of development opportunities for staff with leadership potential
2.3 RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION
• Manages and implements the recruitment and selection policy to ensure optimal resourcing levels at the
right price / cost
• Supports line management by providing objective and professional input into the selection process to
ensure that prospective staff are appropriately qualified and profiled for positions. This includes:
- the effective utilization of assessment tools
- Up skilling line management with regard to selection and recruitment techniques
• Promotes the Bank’s image as an employer of choice in the labour market to facilitate the recruitment of
talent in a competitive market
• Establishes internal controls of minimize recruitment risks
2.4 TRANSFORMATION/ CHANGE MANAGEMENT
Provides transformation/change management support to line management.
• Identifying, analyzing and communicating core strategic business themes to staff to instill a shared
• Establishing the role and impact that transformation/change initiatives have on the business and
• Proactively facilitating the change management/transformation management process
• Educating line management and staff regarding transformation/change management issues, best
practices and legislation.
• Identifying and supporting transformation/change management champions
• Acting as a mediator between line management and staff on employment equity/transformation and
change management issues/disputes.
2.5 COST MANAGEMENT
• Ensures that all HR related interventions are designed and delivered in the most cost-effective way
possible, without compromising quality.
• Ensures the optimal utilisation of human capital/resources to realize an appropriate return on
• Manages the annual operating and expenditure budgets for the HR function, ensuring that all
expenditures are accounted for, and that costs are contained within budget parameters.
2.6 PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATION/PAYROLL
Provides the business with a personnel administration and payroll function that maintains all personnel
information in an accurate and up to date manner in line with the company policy and legislative
- processing leave and attendance registers
- providing information to staff regarding company policies and practices.
Ensures compliance with relevant Labour Legislation requirements, Union Agreements (when required), and
2.8 TEAM MANAGEMENT
• Clarifies structures and roles ensuring that clear targets and goals are set for HR staff, and ensures
that those resources are profiled and recruited accordingly.
• Monitors and manages the HR staff performance and development.
- conducting regular performance appraisals, as well as
- managing the training and development plan of staff to grow
- firmly establishing core competencies and skill levels for competitive differentiation
• Develops and maintains open communication networks with HR staff to foster teamwork, the
sharing of information, and to facilitate the change management process.
• Provides guidance and coaching to HR staff.
Ensures that any other reasonable and lawful instruction as given by the line manager is
Carried out on time, and correctly.
3. CORE COMPETENCIES:
• Customer focus
• Sense of humour
• Socially confident
• Eye for detail
• Results orientated
• Problem solving
• Independent worker
• Energy and Enthusiasm
• Time management
• Ability to deal with confidential information
4. EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• 10 Years experience in a recruitment environment of which 4 years must have been at management
• Knowledge of the system and processing activities.
• Experience in the area of project management and familiarity with project management tools.
• Professional image and grooming.
• Self-confidence and very good interpersonal skills
• Proficient Computer literacy
• Very good Analytical and Problem Solving skills
• Decision making skills
• Excellent Negotiating skills
• Excellent listening skills
• Self development skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Very good Planning and organizing skills