Job Description for the post of Curriculum Area Leader (English)
Hours of Work: 8am – 4pm (Monday – Friday)
Salary: ULT Pay Policy applies. Salary negotiable within this depending on experience.
Line Manager: Assistant Principal
Main Purpose of Job
To ensure that Manchester Academy students succeed in the acquisition and development of English
language skills and gain appropriate qualifications in the subject/s in the curriculum area
To ensure that staff teaching in the curriculum area are well supported in achieving this
Standards of Achievement
• To lead and manage a team of staff in the teaching of English (and other subjects in the curriculum
area, including Drama, ALAN tests and Media Studies) across the 11-18 range and to ensure the
good progress of all students within your area.
• To lead and manage an EAL team and to ensure good progress for learners in the induction
• Writing, monitoring and revising schemes of work.
• Delegating the design of schemes of work to appropriate staff and carrying our QA on this
• Keeping up to date with subject development.
• Ensuring all related policies are consistently and effectively applied by the subject team.
• Carrying out QA on practice within the curriculum area including Assessment, Recording and
reporting, teaching standards and learning progress
• Modelling outstanding to good practice in quality of Teaching and Learning.
• Providing leadership in terms of classroom management and behaviour for learning in the classroom
• Demonstrating sound self evaluation practices.
• Being accountable for student performance in all public examinations related to your subjects.
• Contribute to curriculum development.
• Work collaboratively and cooperatively with other Curriculum Area Manager’s, Year Directors and
the Senior Leadership Team in promoting high expectations and standards.
• Generally and specifically promoting development and improvement in literacy, supporting the AP
in leading whole school literacy policy
• To manage a cost centre.
• To produce a subject specific business plan.
• To ensure regular team meetings with appropriate agendas and minutes.
• To provide regular reports as required.
• To participate in Performance Management of team members.
• To liaise with the Data and Examinations Team and the SENCO.
• To promote the subject(s) within and beyond the Academy,
• To represent the Academy at events as appropriate.
• To support and promote the Academy ethos.
All posts and post holders also comply with the ULT Professional Standards for Leaders and Managers.
This job description will be updated on a regular basis in consultation with the postholder.
The above information is to help staff understand and appreciate the work content of their post and the role they
are to play in the organisation. However, it should be noted that whilst every effort has been made to outline all
the duties and responsibilities of the post, a document such as this does not permit every item to be specified in
detail. Broad headings may therefore have been used, in which case all the usual associated duties are included
in the job description.
No Description Rating Evidence
Knowledge and Understanding
1. A degree or equivalent in the subject to be Essential Application
2. A confident and competent user of ICT. Essential Application
3. Ability to use an interactive whiteboard as a Desirable Interview
4. Experience of teaching a diverse student body. Desirable Interview
5. Knowledge of BTEC Qualifications. Essential Application /
6. Experience of delivering BTEC Qualifications. Desirable Application /
7. An understanding of relevant legislation Desirable Application /
concerning Safeguarding Interview
8. A commitment to take part in all relevant in- Essential Application /
service training and continual professional Interview
Teaching and Assessment
7. An understanding of Assessment for Learning. Desirable Application /
8. Ability to assess student work accurately and Essential Application /
precisely using criteria. Interview
9. Ability to motivate, engage and enthuse Essential Application /
10. Ability to plan work and assess which results in Essential Application /
learners making sound and steady progress. Interview
Student Learning and Progress
11. An understanding of the importance of data in Essential Application /
relation to student progress. Interview
12. To keep accurate, precise and relevant records Essential Application /
of student achievement. Interview
Wider Professional Effectiveness
13. To comply with Academy routines and Essential Application /
protocols as written and intended. Interview
14. To communicate effectively and willingly with Essential Application /
all Academy stakeholders. Interview
15. To demonstrate awareness of the need to Essential Application /
promote and protect the Academy’s profile Interview
16. To demonstrate commitment to the professional Essential Interview
development of self and that of the Academy.