ACCOMMODATION AccommodAtion Open

Document Sample
ACCOMMODATION AccommodAtion Open Powered By Docstoc
Open Spaces. Open Minds.   1
                                                                                                                                                                 Lee House and Bede House

   introduction                                                     contents
   The aim of this booklet is to provide you with information       On-campus accommodation...................... 2                     Off-campus accommodation .................... 23
   about accommodation both on the University campus and              Pre-sessional English courses .................. 8                   Types ........................................................ 24
                                                                      Campus map........................................... 10          	 Where	to	find	off-campus	
   off campus in the local area. London is one of the world’s
                                                                      Digby Stuart College halls of residence .. 12                        accommodation ............................................... 28
   most exciting and cosmopolitan cities, and as a Roehampton
                                                                      Froebel College halls of residence .......... 14                     Postcode map .......................................... 32
   student you will be well placed to enjoy everything the city       Southlands College halls of residence .... 16                     	 Tips	for	finding	suitable	properties........... 33
   has to offer. You will be joining a community of eight million     Whitelands College halls of residence .... 17                     Council Tax ................................................... 36
   people where over 300 languages are spoken. We hope that           Applying .................................................. 19    Insurance ...................................................... 36
   by the end of your studies you will feel as much a Londoner        Paying ..................................................... 20   Temporary accommodation ......................... 36
   as those who have spent all their lives here!                      Arriving/vacating ..................................... 22
2                                                                                                                      1
                                                    Roehampton was ranked first among London universities for

       on-cAmpus                                    the environment on and around campus
                                                    — Times Higher Education 2009 Student Experience Survey

       AccommodAtion                                •	 Make	new	friends	easily
                                                    •	 Live	in	a	safe	and	secure	environment
                                                    •	 Feel	part	of	a	collegiate	community
                                                    •	 Live	near	classes	and	facilities
                                                    •	 Know	your	accommodation	costs	in	advance,	
                                                       and therefore budget effectively
                                                    Roehampton University comprises four Colleges, on which the
                                                    accommodation is centred: Digby Stuart, Froebel, Southlands and
                                                    Whitelands.	Each	College	has	its	own	full-time	Student	Welfare	Officer,	
                                                    Residential Warden and student-appointed Deputy President, so in
                                                    comparison to other universities of the same size you have much more
                                                    access to student support services.
                                                    Studying at a collegiate university gives students a sense of
                                                    community – you are not only part of the University, but will also
                                                    have an instant identity within the smaller world of the College.
                                                    Most	students	can	choose	their	College,	but	some	will	only	be	
                                                    eligible to go into certain halls and therefore certain Colleges.
                                                    Students who are non-resident (living off-campus) are automatically
                                                    assigned	to	the	College	associated	with	their	degree.	Most	students	
                                                    opt to live on the part of the campus where their course is based.
                                                    Living on campus is a sociable experience. You’ll have the
                                                    opportunity to meet and mix with students from all over the world.
                                                    You should be prepared to be tolerant of other people and cultures,
                                                    and	understand	that	you’re	living	in	a	community	environment.	Most	
                                                    students who live on campus are aged 18–22 and the atmosphere is
                                                    often lively and noisy. However, accommodation in a quieter
                                                    environment is available for postgraduate and mature students.

2   Shaw House                                     3
                                                                                                  room And locAtion options
                                                                                                  You have a choice of room types and locations
                                                                                                  (subject to availability), which are detailed on the
                       eAting And shopping                                                        following pages. All rooms are single occupation
                                                                                                  and the average room size is 10–12 square
                                                                                                  metres. Smoking is not permitted in University
                       During the day there are numerous cafes and restaurants on campus
                       where you can buy sandwiches, salads and hot lunches. In the
                       evening, most students cook for themselves using their shared
                                                                                                  There is no on-campus accommodation available
                       kitchen facilities.
                                                                                                  for	families	but	our	Accommodation	Office	can	
                                                                                                  help	families	find	off-campus	accommodation.	
                       There is a small shop on campus that sells basic provisions, but most
                       students buy their weekly provisions at one of the local shops in
                                                                                                  We will consider all requests (such as single-sex
                       Roehampton, at the nearby Asda supermarket or on the High Street in
                                                                                                  accommodation	or	ground	floor	location)	but	
                       Putney, which is just 10 minutes away by bus.
                                                                                                  these are subject to availability and cannot be

                       how long will i stAy on cAmpus?                                            Students with disabilities
                                                                                                  30 rooms across campus have adapted facilities
                       Generally on-campus accommodation is only available for the entire         for disabled students and those with long-term
                       academic year. However, it is possible to apply to live on campus if you   medical conditions. If you have any requirements
                       are only studying for one semester or one term (if this is the case, you   relating to a disability or long-term medical
                       will	need	to	make	the	Accommodation	Office	aware	of	your	require-          condition, please contact the Accommodation
                       ments when you apply). A small number of rooms are offered to              Office	as	soon	as	possible	to	ensure	that	these	
                       students on short courses; however, this is dependent on availability.     are fully in place before arrival.
                       If you require accommodation for the full academic year then your
                       contract will include the Christmas and Easter vacations.

4                                                                             5
      included in the AccommodAtion fee:
      •	 The	accommodation	fee	includes:
         o all heating, lighting, water and internet connection
         o electrical testing for your appliances
         o contents insurance.
      •	 Room	furniture	varies	but	all	rooms	include	a	single	bed,	mattress,	
         wardrobe, desk, chair, shelving and sink.
      •	 Kitchen	equipment	includes	cooker/stove,	microwave,	fridge,	freezer,	
         kettle, toaster and food storage space. Cooking utensils, cutlery, and
         crockery are not provided but can be purchased locally at a reasonable cost.
      •	 Common	areas	of	accommodation	will	be	cleaned	by	domestic	staff,	
         but students are expected to clean their own rooms and do their
         own washing up of kitchen utensils, cutlery and crockery.
      •	 An	internal	phone	is	available	in	each	flat	or	corridor.	
      Although not included in the accommodation fee, bedding (duvet/
      comforter, pillows and bed linen) must be purchased from each College
      for minimal cost. Laundry facilities are available at all Colleges.
      other fAcilities on cAmpus                                                                                   The Roehampton campus is a safe place to live, but you should take
      •	 Cash	machine	at	the	University	Library                                                                    all the usual precautions to safeguard your belongings and person.
                                                                                                                   Make	sure	you	lock	your	door	when	away	from	your	room,	do	not	
      •	 Gym,	sports	hall,	and	an	outdoor	games	area	for	basketball,	
                                                                                                                   leave personal possessions unsecured and remember to keep your
         football etc
                                                                                                                   room key unlabelled and in a safe place.
      •	 Laundry	facilities
      •	 Flat/Hall	Representatives	in	each	flat/hall	to	help	you	settle	in                                         Security staff are present on campus 24 hours a day and have a
      •	 Medical	Centre                                                                                            special emergency extension (3333) should you need to reach
                                                                                                                   them urgently.
      •	 Students’	Union,	which	stages	social	events	and	offers	welfare	advice
      •	 24-hour	security
      •	 Cafeterias,	diners	and	coffee	bars

6                                                    Southlands College halls of residence                       7
      pre-sessionAl english courses
      If you need to improve your English, 12-, 8- and 4-week
                                                                          course dAtes And tuition fees
      pre-sessional English courses are held at Roehampton for
      students who are about to begin undergraduate or taught              Course                  Dates                        Tuition fees
      postgraduate study.
                                                                           12-week                 Monday	21	June	–	            £2,280
      The course is designed to help you to get the most from your                                 Friday10 Sept 2010
      studies at Roehampton by:                                            8-week                  Monday	19	July	–	            £1,727
      •	 developing	your	academic	English	so	that	you	are	better	                                  Friday 10 Sept 2010
         able to cope with university-level study                          4-week                  Monday	16	Aug	–	             £889
      •	 developing	your	study	skills	and	your	understanding	of	                                   Friday 10 Sept 2010
         what	is	expected	of	you	as	a	student	in	the	UK	higher	
         education system.
                                                                          For the summer of 2010, pre-sessional students will be accommodated
                                                                          at Bede House in Digby Stuart College. The cost per week will be £91.
      The course includes:
                                                                          Students need to be aware that they will have to provide a £250 deposit,
      •	 20	hours’	tuition	per	week	from	highly	qualified	lecturers	in	   which is refundable when they leave their accommodation, on condition
         English for Academic Purposes                                    that the room is still in a good state of repair.
      •	 teaching	in	small	classes	(usually	between	8	and	15	students)
      •	 all	books	and	materials	for	your	classes                         How to apply for on-campus accommodation during your course
      •	 a	social	event	and	a	day	trip	and/or	local	visit                 Please contact Yvonne Douglas (email:
      •	 access	to	the	University	Library,	Languages	Centre	and	
         24-hour computer suites.                                         Facilities
                                                                          •	 Bedding	will	be	provided
      If you are interested in this course please contact:                •	 Items	such	as	kitchen	equipment	should	be	purchased	before	you	arrive
      Mary	O’Connor,	School	of	Arts,	Digby	Stuart	College                 •	 Coin-operated	laundrette
      Roehampton University, Roehampton Lane, London SW15 5PH             •	 Full	access	to	the	University	Library	and	computer	suites
      Tel: +44 (0)20 8392 3399
                                                                          •	 A	range	of	on-campus	cafes	and	dining	areas
      Fax: +44 (0)20 8392 5028 (Please mark your fax for the attention
      of	Mary	O’Connor)	Email:

8                                                                           9
        cAmpus lAyout
        Roehampton University comprises four Colleges.
        Three of them – Digby Stuart, Froebel and
        Southlands	–	are	on	the	Main	Site,	while	                                         Grove House and Froebel Lake, Froebel College
        Whitelands is a 15-minute walk away.

        You may prefer to live in a hall of residence that is   Mount Clare Site                                       Main Site
        closest to where your classes are taught; however,                                                             (Digby, Froebel and
        there is no requirement to do so, and all parts of
        the University are within easy walking distance of
        each other.

                                                                    Mount Clare

                                                                                                                                               Parkstead House, Whitelands College

             Duchesne Building, Digby Stuart College
                                                                  All Roehampton
                                                                  facilities are within                                                      Whitelands Site
                                                                  a 15-minute walk of
10                             each other.                                                                         11
                                        digby stuArt college                                      Newman House

                                        hAlls of residence                                        • Four corridors of single rooms
                                                                                                  • Older style but slightly larger rooms
                                                                                                  • 61 places
                                        Bede House                                                • 53 semi en-suite rooms (private shower)

                                        •	 Four	corridors	of	single	rooms                         • 8 standard rooms (shared bathroom)
                                                                                                  • Self-catering
                                        •	 108	places
                                                                                                  • Communal kitchens
                                        •	 Standard	rooms	(shared	bathroom)
                                                                                                  • 38-week rental period
                                        •	 Self-catering                                          • Semi en-suite room: £105 per week
                                        •	 Communal	kitchens                                         (£3,990 per annum)
                                                                                                  • Standard room: £94.50 per week
                                        •	 38-week	rental	period                                     (£3,591 per annum)
                                        •	 £91	per	week	(£3,458	per	annum)

                                                                                                  Shaw House
                                                                                                  •	 Rooms	grouped	in	units	of	6	(some	rooms	have	
                                                                                                     en-suite facilities for disabled students)
                                                                                                  •	 143	places
                                        Lee House
                                                                                                  •	 47	en-suite	rooms	(private	bathroom)
                                        •	 New	style	residence	grouped	in	units	of	6	to	9	        •	 96	standard	rooms	(shared	bathroom)
                                           (some rooms suitable for students with disabilities)
                                                                                                  •	 Self-catering
                                        •	 140	places
                                                                                                  •	 Communal	kitchens	and	lounges
                                        •	 All	en-suite	rooms	(private	bathroom)
                                                                                                  •	 38-	or	48-week	rental	period
                                        •	 Self-catering
                                                                                                  •	 En-suite	room:	£112	per	week	
                                        •	 Communal	kitchens                                         (£4,256 for 38 weeks / £5,376 for 48 weeks)
                                        •	 38-week	rental	period	                                 •	 Standard	room:	£101.50	per	week	
                                        •	 £112	per	week	(£4,256	per	annum)                          (£3,857 for 38 weeks / £4,872 for 48 weeks)

12                                                                              13
                                        froebel college
                                        hAlls of residence
                                        Aspen, Linden and Willow
                                        •	   New	style	residences	grouped	in	units	of	6
                                        •	   Aspen:	56	places
                                        •	   Linden:	42	places
                                        •	   Willow:	59	places,	exclusively	for	PGCE	students
                                        •	   All	en-suite	rooms	(private	bathroom)
                                        •	   Self-catering
                                        •	   Communal	kitchens	
                                        •	   Aspen	and	Linden:	38-week	rental	period
                                        •	   Willow:	40-week	rental	period
                                        •	   En-suite	room:	£112	per	week	
                                             (£4,256 per annum for 38 weeks)

                                        Old, New, Garden Court and Lawrence
                                        •	   Older	style	residences
                                        •	   Old	Court:	16	places
                                        •	   New	Court:	24	places
                                        •	   Garden	Court:	40	places
                                        •	   Lawrence:	34	places
                                        •	   Standard	rooms	(shared	bathroom)
                                        •	   Self-catering
                                        •	   Communal	kitchens
                                        •	   38-week	rental	period
                                        •	   £101.50	per	week	(£3,857	per	annum)

14                                                           Grove House, Froebel College 15
   southlAnds college hAlls of residence                                           whitelAnds college
                                                                                   hAlls of residence
                                        Arton Wilson
                                        •	 Residences	grouped	in	units	of	5	or	6
                                        •	 191	places
                                        •	 Standard	rooms	(shared	bathroom)
                                        •	 Self-catering
                                                                                       Beverley, Cheltenham, Durham,
                                        •	 Communal	kitchens	                          Gilesgate, Kings and Melrose
                                        •	 38-	or	48-week	rental	period                •	 Residences	grouped	in	units	of	6	to	10
                                        •	 £101.50	per	week	(£3,857	per	annum)         •	 257	places
                                                                                       •	 En-suite	rooms	(private	bathroom)
                                        Epworth/Aldergate Court                        •	 Some	rooms	suitable	for	disabled	students
                                        •	 Residences	grouped	in	units	of	5	to	8       •	 Self-catering
                                        •	 216	places                                  •	 Communal	kitchens	and	lounges
                                        •	 Standard	rooms	(shared	bathroom)            •	 38-week	rental	period
                                        •	 Self-catering                               •	 £112	per	week	(£4,256	per	annum)
                                        •	 Communal	kitchens	
                                        •	 38-week	rental	period                       Sutherland and Walpole
                                        •	 £101.50	per	week	(£3,857	per	annum)	        •	 Residences	grouped	in	units	of	5	to	8
                                                                                       •	 47	places
                                        Wesley Hall                                    •	 En-suite	rooms	(private	bathroom)
                                        •	 Residences	grouped	in	units	of	5	to	8       •	 Self-catering
                                        •	 66	places                                   •	 Communal	kitchens	and	lounges
                                        •	 En-suite	rooms	(private	bathroom)           •	 48-week	rental	period	(postgraduate	and	
                                        •	 Self-catering                                  mature students)

                                        •	 Communal	kitchens                           •	 £112	per	week	(£5,376	per	annum)

                                        •	 38-week	rental	period
                                        •	 £112	per	week	(£4,256	per	annum)

16                                                                                        17
       Contracts                                               Applying for on-cAmpus AccommodAtion
       You are required to sign a licence agreement for
       your accommodation. This is a legally binding           When should I apply?
       document	that	commits	you	to	the	room	financially	      As a new or prospective student, you are able to apply online for on-
       for the period stated. You will only be released from   campus	accommodation	from	the	end	of	February	to	31	July	2010.	You	
       your contract if you withdraw from the University or    will still be allowed to apply for accommodation after the deadline of
       you	find	another	suitable	student	to	fill	your	room.    Saturday	31	July	–	we	will	put	your	application	on	a	waiting	list.
                                                               We are aiming to accommodate all international students that apply
       Self-catered                                            before	Saturday	31	July;	anyone	who	applies	after	that	date	cannot	
       All student accommodation at Roehampton is              be guaranteed a place. In order to apply you must meet the
       self-catered. A kitchen will be available for you       following criteria:
       to	use	in	your	flat	or	hall.	You	can	also	purchase	     •	 Roehampton	must	be	your	firm	choice	of	university.
       meals from the dining halls and cafes located
                                                               •	 You	must	hold	an	offer	to	study	from	Roehampton	University.
       across the four Colleges.
                                                               If you are under 18 and want to apply for on-campus accommodation,
       Rental periods                                          please	contact	the	Accommodation	Office	on	+44	(0)20	8392	3166	or	
       We offer a variety of accommodation contracts:
       •	 38	weeks	for	undergraduate	students                  How do I apply?
       •	 48	weeks	for	postgraduate	students	and	mature	       You can apply online from the end of February 2010 on the
          students.                                            accommodation website:
       All contract lengths include the Christmas and
       Easter vacations, so it is possible for you to remain   Or via this shortened link:
       in the room or store your belongings there during
       these times.                                            If you are an international exchange student on a short programme
                                                               then please make a note, on the online application form, of the length
       If you are studying for a single term/semester,         of stay. You can do this under ‘Other information’.
       accommodation is subject to availability.

18                                                               19
                                                                                                   Arriving At And vAcAting your
                                                                                                   What to do when you arrive
                                                                                                   You	will	be	asked	to	arrive	on	a	specified	day.	
                                                                                                   On arrival you should check in at the designated
             pAying for on-cAmpus AccommodAtion                                                    arrival	office	(details	will	be	available	from	the	
             When do I pay?                                                                        International Team). You will be asked to pay your
             Fees for accommodation for the academic year are payable, in advance, in              accommodation fees. You will be given your room
             three	instalments.	The	first	instalment	is	payable	a	week	after	the	beginning	of	     key	after	payment	of	the	first	instalment	of	your	
             the	first	term,	the	second	instalment	is	due	in	January	2011	and	the	third	           accommodation fees.
             in April 2011.
                                                                                                   If you are not arriving on the International Arrival Day,
             Deposit                                                                               please let us know what date you plan to arrive and
                                                                                                   also your estimated time of arrival on the campus.
             When you are sent an offer of accommodation, you will also be required to pay
             a £250 deposit. This deposit will be refunded to you, in full, at the end of your
                                                                                                   Your room key will be left at the appropriate Security
             contract, providing there are no damages or charges incurred during your stay.
                                                                                                   Gatehouse	if	you	arrive	outside	office	hours	and	you	
                                                                                                   will be asked to visit the Accommodation Finance
             Fees for students on one semester/term programmes are payable in full
                                                                                                   Office	as	soon	as	possible	to	organise	payment.	Se-
             on arrival.
                                                                                                   curity staff will be able to help you access your room.
             How do I pay?
             You will be requested to set up a payment plan and to pay your accommodation
                                                                                                   If a problem arises with your room, please contact the
             fees	online	using	a	credit	or	debit	card.		If	you	have	a	difficulty	with	this,	you	
                                                                                                   Accommodation	Office	in	the	first	instance.
             can contact Accommodation Finance on +44 (0)20 8392 3110, or email
                                                                                                   Vacating your accommodation
             Other costs                                                                           At the end of your contract period you must vacate
                                                                                                   your accommodation by the time stated and leave
             £20 will be charged for a bedding bundle, which will be added to your accom-
                                                                                                   your room clean and tidy. You should arrange for your
             modation fees. A bedding bundle includes a duvet, sheet, duvet cover and
                                                                                                   room	to	be	inspected	by	the	Accommodation	Office	
             pillow slip. A mattress cover and a pillow will also be provided. International
                                                                                                   before your deposit can be refunded. Remember that
             students will also receive a University-approved fused electrical adaptor.
                                                                                                   all damages and losses incurred will be deducted
                                                                                                   from the deposit.
20                                                                                                                 21
                                                                                     It is impossible to do this without being able to

                                                                                     actually meet the landlords and see the properties.
                                                                                     Please	note,	the	Accommodation	Office	cannot	
                                                                                     arrange off-campus accommodation for you

         AccommodAtion                                                               in advance – they provide information via the
                                                                                     Studentpad website but you will have to contact
                                                                                     the landlords yourself.

                                                                                     Please remember that looking for off-campus
      Living	off	campus	gives	you	greater	flexibility.	The	University	is	in	south-   accommodation is time-consuming, and we
      west London, which is considered to be one of the better areas to live         recommend that you allow yourself time before
      in the city. Some students prefer to be nearer to the city centre and they     the	start	of	your	programme	to	find	the	right	
      use the extensive public transport network to travel to the University for     accommodation for you.
      their lectures.
                                                                                     Do	not	turn	up	in	London	without	having	first	
      Roehampton University has an online service – Studentpad – dedicated           arranged some accommodation, even if it is in
      to	helping	you	find	off-campus	accommodation.	This	can	be	found	at	            a hotel, bed-and-breakfast establishment or                                                hostel.
      All properties advertised on the Studentpad site are in the Roehampton
      area, have been vetted and meet a minimum standard. The information            Off-campus Accommodation Office
      and advice on this website can be accessed in six different languages          Tel: +44 (0)20 8392 4451
      (Chinese, English, French, Italian, German and Spanish).                       Email:
      You	are	able	to	contact	landlords	before	arriving	in	the	UK,	and	set	up	       Prices
      viewings and interviews through the site, which will cut down the time         On average rents are around £350–£400 per
      you spend searching for somewhere to live when you get here.                   person per calendar month. This will not include
                                                                                     your household bills such as gas, electricity,
      Our	Accommodation	Office	also	holds	details	of	letting	agencies	adver-         water rates and television licence, and you
      tising available properties. You will be expected to view the properties       should allow around £30–£40 per person per
      yourself, so this is something you are advised to organise once you have       month for these additional bills. Warning – if you
      settled in London and know your way around the local areas.                    live in a house with one or more non-students,
                                                                                     you may be liable for Council Tax.

22                                                              23
               off-cAmpus: short-term                                                        off-cAmpus: long-term
                                                                                             Flat-shares and house-shares
                                                                                             An average-sized property in south-west London accommodates
               Hostels are a good choice if you are looking for temporary accom-             three or four people, although some properties can be slightly bigger.
               modation. They provide an opportunity to familiarise yourself with
               London and you will meet other students from all over the world. If           Renting in the private sector is often the preferred choice for
               you want to move to private accommodation at a later date, hostel             students who are in their second or third year of study. By this
               accommodation is a good starting point.                                       time, students are used to living in London and will have friends
                                                                                             to share accommodation with. Our Studentpad website
               Some hostels are run by charities or religious organisations, but this does   ( features a message board
               not normally mean that you need to be practising that particular religion.    where advertisements are placed by students with vacant rooms
                                                                                             or	looking	to	flat-share.
               Bed and breakfast accommodation/
               hotels/guest houses                                                           One-/two-bedroom flats
               These are useful options for short-term accommodation while you are           Some students like the idea of having their own privacy by
               looking for more permanent living arrangements. You should allow a            occupying	a	one-	or	two-bedroom	flat;	however,	this	is	
               minimum of £30 per person per night – expect to pay more in central           expensive.	To	rent	a	one-bedroom	flat	is	likely	to	cost	from	
               London. The cost may include some meals, and linen, towels and                around	£800	a	month	upwards;	a	two-bedroom	flat	will	cost	
               cleaning services are provided. You can book this type of accommo-            from around £950 a month upwards. This will not include bills!
               dation	from	your	home	country	and	our	Accommodation	Office	(email:	           Consider sharing a three- or four-bedroom property (as above),
      can provide a list of options                 which is normally a cheaper option.
               close to the University.
                                                                                             Lodgings are rented rooms in private houses where the house-
                                                                                             holder (landlord) also lives in the property. It could be with a
                                                                                             family, a couple or someone living on their own. Bills are typically
                                                                                             included	in	the	rent,	although	often	not	the	telephone	bill.	Most	
                                                                                             lodgings will be self-catering, but some may include meals at
                                                                                             extra cost. Householders often advertise their rooms online via
                                                                                             Studentpad – This option is
                                                                                             often popular for students who want a quieter type of accommodation.

                                                                                             Prices are around £70–£95 per person per week, including bills
                                                                                             but not food. Expect to pay anything from £110 to include food.
24                                                                                                                        25
       Homestay accommodation means that you live in a private house
       within a family setting. This type of accommodation is booked
       through an agent who will match your requirements to a host
       family. This is a good option if you want to improve your English
       language skills and would like the support of living in the home of a
       British	family.	Many	students	choose	this	type	of	accommodation	
       to start off their time in London.

       International students with families
       Students who wish to bring their families with them may have
       difficulty	finding	affordable	accommodation	in	London	and	we	
       would advise you to make plans for accommodation as soon as
       you have secured a place at the University. The University does
       not manage any accommodation on campus that is suitable for
       couples	or	families,	so	flats	and	houses	in	the	private	rented	
       sector or accommodation run through charities are the main
       options. If you are going to bring your family, we suggest that
       you arrive before them in order to begin the search for

       Under 18s
       There	are	legal	restrictions	in	the	UK	for	students	who	are	
       under 18 in terms of signing contracts. If you are starting at the
       University before your 18th birthday, you should contact the
       Accommodation	Office	and	they	will	advise	you.

26                                 27
      where to find off-cAmpus AccommodAtion
      Most	of	the	accommodation	advertised	through	the	Accommodation	Office	is	
      reasonably close to the University – generally within a four-mile radius. Our students
      often live in ex-local authority housing around Roehampton, Putney Heath or
                                                                                                Putney, Putney Heath, Putney Vale (SW15)
      Southfields.	Sometimes	vacancies	will	appear	in	converted	flats	in	Victorian	houses,	
      although this option is likely to be more expensive.                                      Putney is only 10 minutes by bus from the
                                                                                                University. It has:
      Studentpad ( provide a comprehensive and                  •	 great	shopping	facilities,	a	cinema,	leisure	
      constantly updated database of private property close to the University. This gives you      centre, and
      the opportunity to search for properties online even before you leave your                   numerous bars and restaurants
      home country.                                                                             •	 branches	of	most	major	banks
                                                                                                •	 excellent	links	to	central	London	via	overground	
      The useful Help and Advice section on Studentpad is translated into Chinese, French,
                                                                                                   and underground trains (Putney has two tube
      German, Italian and Spanish. The Roehampton Studentpad zone can also be accessed
      via the University’s accommodation webpages:                                                        •	 theatre	productions	at	the	Putney	Arts	Theatre.

                                                                                                East Sheen (SW14)
      some locAl AreAs
                                                                                                With a good selection of shops and access to
      Roehampton, Roehampton Vale (postcode: SW15)                                              beautiful Richmond Park for nice walks, East Sheen
                                                                                                (and	neighbouring	Mortlake)	can	be	reached	by	bus	
      Most	of	the	properties	available	in	Roehampton	are	ex-social	housing	flats.	Living	in	
                                                                                                from the University in only 15 minutes. It also offers:
      Roehampton is handy because:
                                                                                                •	 additional	buses	to	Richmond	(for	plenty	of	bars,	
      •	 you	are	within	walking	distance	of	the	University	and	its	facilities
                                                                                                   pubs, restaurants and sports centres)
      •	 there	are	good	bus	links	to	Barnes	and	Putney	overground	train	services,	enabling	
                                                                                                •	 banks,	building	societies	and	coffee	bars
         you to reach Waterloo station in central London in under 30 minutes
                                                                                                •	 a	train	link	(from	Mortlake)	that	will	take	you	to	
      •	 buses	connect	with	Hammersmith	and	Putney	Bridge	underground	stations,	en-
                                                                                                   Waterloo station in central London in around
         abling you to reach London’s West End in under 45 minutes
                                                                                                   30 minutes.
      •	 there	are	a	few	local	shops	in	Roehampton,	while	buses	enable	you	to	travel	to	
         Kingston	for	bigger	shopping	trips
      •	 a	number	of	pubs	and	takeaway	restaurants	are	within	walking	distance.

28                                                                                  29
      Barnes (SW13)
      Located by the river Thames, Barnes is one of London’s most
      expensive areas. It has a small selection of local shops, traditional
      pubs and some expensive places to eat. With all this in mind,
      property prices are high and there is not much accommodation
      within the average student’s price range. Barnes does have good
      transport links with buses going to Hammersmith and an over-
      ground train station that links with Waterloo station in
      central London.

      Wimbledon (SW19)
      Wimbledon is roughly three miles from the University and it can be
      an expensive area to live in. It offers:
      •	 plenty	of	shops,	entertainment	and	the	beautiful	parkland	of	
         Wimbledon Common
      •	 excellent	transport	links,	including	a	District	Line	underground	
         station, overground train station, a bus that goes direct to
         Roehampton University, and trams.

      Southfields (SW18, SW19)
      Southfields	is	another	popular	residential	area	and	like	nearby	
      Wimbledon it has a District Line underground station and a bus
      that goes directly to Roehampton University. Property is generally
      a	mixture	of	ex-social	housing	flats	and	houses.	You	will	find	that	
      rents may be slightly cheaper than in areas such as Putney.

30                                31
                                                                                     Guide to housing terminology

   tips for finding suitAble properties                                              D/G                           double-glazed windows

   If you have never rented property in London, the following information            Ex-local authority property   former social housing that has been bought and then
   should be useful when you start looking for somewhere to live.                                                  let to tenants GCH gas central heating
                                                                                     GCH                           gas Central Heating
                                                                                     Landlord/Homeowner            person that owns the property
   •	 Is	the	property	in	a	convenient	location	for	the	University,	shops	and	pubs?
   •	 Are	there	good	public	transport	links?                                         Lodgers                       you live in a property and share the facilities with the
   •	 Can	you	get	home	safely?
   •	 Is	the	area	near	to	the	property	well	lit	by	street	lighting?                  Maisonette	                   an	extended	flat	(apartment)	that	usually	has	a	second	
                                                                                                                   floor	upstairs
                                                                                     OSP                           off-street parking
                                                                                     PCM                           per calendar month
                                                                                     PP                            per person
                                                                                     PRS                           private rented sector
                                                                                     Tenancy agreement             a legally binding contract you sign when you rent a
                                                                                                                   whole	property.	Most	contracts	are	for	a	fixed-term	pe-
                                                                                                                   riod, often 12 months, and do not offer the chance for
                                                                                                                   you to cancel if you wish to move out.
                                                                                     Tenants                       live in a property without the landlord also living there

     Most	vacancies	are	usually	advertised	using	postcodes	to	
     indicate the location. This can be confusing for British people as well
     as international students as the codes do not appear in a logical order;
     therefore, it is a good idea to use the postcode map above.

32                                                                                                 33
                                                                                                    your contrAct: Questions to AsK
         Viewing properties                                                                         How much is the rent?
                                                                                                    What	does	this	include?	
         Once you have found some properties that you want to view, you have to contact the
                                                                                                    How	and	when	do	you	have	to	pay?
         landlords yourself. From a personal safety point of view, we advise that you take a
         friend with you when you visit properties. This also means that you have someone to
                                                                                                    Do you have to pay a deposit?
         compare notes with afterwards, which is always useful. There is a very good house
                                                                                                    Legally,	you	can	be	charged	a	maximum	of	eight	weeks’	rent	as	a	deposit.	Make	sure	you	get	
         hunting	advice	on	the	National	Union	of	Students	(NUS)	website:
                                                                                                    a receipt from the landlord/letting agent.
                                                                                                    Deposits are kept as security against any damages to the property or any unpaid bills, as long
         The property itself                                                                        as you leave the property in the same good condition it was in when you began your contract
                                                                                                    then your deposit should be refunded to you in full.
         •	 Are	there	enough	facilities	for	the	number	of	people	sharing?
                                                                                                    UK	law	states	that	any	deposit	given	to	a	private	landlord	must	be	kept	in	a	deposit	protection	
         •	 You	should	be	looking	for	one	toilet	per	five	residents	and	one	kitchen	per	seven	      scheme, so if there are any issues relating to the amount returned to you at the end of your
            residents.                                                                              contract you can negotiate with your landlord via the scheme.

         Does the property have adequate heating?                                                   Are there any repairs that need doing before you move in?
         •	 Does	the	property	have	central	heating?	There	is	no	requirement	that	all	homes	         Get these agreed in writing with the landlord.
            should	have	central	heating,	and	electric	heating	can	be	just	as	efficient	(although	
            not always as cost effective).                                                          Who is responsible for the bills?
         •	 Is	the	property	well	maintained?                                                        If	you	share	a	flat	or	house	with	other	students,	your	bills	are	not	likely	to	be	included.	Bills	will	
         •	 Are	there	enough	plug	sockets	in	each	room?                                             include gas, electricity, telephone and possibly water rates.
         •	 Are	the	rooms	well	decorated,	with	reasonable	wall	coverings?
                                                                                                    Is there an inventory of furniture and other items in the property?
         •	 Is	the	carpet	or	flooring	in	good	condition?                                            This details the contents and condition of the furniture within a property when you move in and
                                                                                                    is useful if problems occur when you are due to leave.
         •	 Do	all	gas	appliances	have	an	up-to-date	CORGI	Inspection	Certificate?                  How long will the contract be for?
         •	 This	is	a	legal	requirement.	Check	with	the	Students’	Union	or	Accommodation	           If you share a property with other students and do not live with the landlord, it is likely that you
            Office	for	further	information.                                                         will	have	a	fixed-term	Assured	Shorthold	Tenancy	Agreement.	Most	Agreements	are	for	at	least	
                                                                                                    six months but are very often for 12 months.
         •	 Are	there	smoke	detectors	in	the	house?
         •	 Are	the	windows	lockable?                                                               Once you sign, you are committed for this period, so if you have any doubts or concerns
                                                                                                    about	the	document	itself,	contact	the	Accommodation	Office	or	Students’	Union	(email:	rsu@
                                                                                           for further advice. Your Tenancy Agreement is a legal document, so please
                                                                                                    understand your commitment, both to your housemates and your landlord before you sign it.
34                                                                                                                               35
                                                                                                              South-west London          Lodge Hotel
          Council Tax                                                                                                                    52 Upper Richmond Road
                                                                                                              Premier Inn
          If you are a full-time student, it is unlikely that you will need to pay this extra bill – unless   3 Putney Bridge Approach
          you are living off-campus with one or more non-students. Council Tax is based on the                Putney
                                                                                                                                         SW15	2RN
          value of a property. In order to ensure that you don’t have to pay this bill, you can obtain        London
                                                                                                                                         Tel: +44 (0)20 8874 1598
                                                                                                              SW6	3JD
          a	Council	Tax	Exemption	Certificate	from	the	University’s	Registry	Department	once	you	             Tel: +44 (0)870 238 3302
          have registered with the University.                                                                                           Heathrow area
                                                                                                              Hotel Lily                 Hotel Ibis
          Insurance                                                                                           23–33 Lillie Road          112 Bath Road
                                                                                                              Fulham                     Hayes
          If you are living on campus, your possessions will be insured and the cost of this insur-           London                     Middlesex
          ance is included in your room charge. Details are available on the extent of this insurance         SW6 1UG                    Tel: +44 (0)20 8759 4888
          cover and you can add to this insurance if you wish.                                                Tel: +44 (0)20 7381 1881
          If you are living off campus, then we strongly recommend that you insure your personal              Holiday Inn Express        Phoenix Way
          possessions. Student properties can be easy targets for thieves.                                    Smugglers Way              Heston
                                                                                                              Wandsworth                 Middlesex
          The University’s nominated insurer is Endsleigh Insurance. Information can be found on              London                     Tel: +44 (0)20 8580 2000
                                                                                                              SW18 1EG
          the	National	Union	of	Students’	website	(	or	from	Roehampton	Students’	              Tel: +44 (0)870 720 1298
          Union (                                                                                             Other information
                                                                                                              Richrmond Inn Hotel        London Tourist Board –
          Temporary accommodation                                                                             50 Sheen Road              Youth Hostel Association –
                                                                                                              Richmond                   International Students House –
          Never	arrive	in	London	without	booking	accommodation	for	at	least	the	first	few	days.	              Surrey              
          Although there are many hotels, bed-and-breakfasts and hostels in London, their avail-              TW9 1UG
                                                                                                              Tel: +44 (0)20 8940 0171   London Hostels Association –
          ability may be limited, especially at peak times such as the start of the academic year.                               
          You should also think carefully about the time of your arrival and consider staying near to
          your arrival airport in case you arrive late in the evening or early in the morning.
          On the opposite page is a brief list of hotels and bed-and-breakfasts close to the Univer-
          sity. The list is not comprehensive and is not an indication of quality but will help you with
          your	search.	At	the	bottom	of	the	list	you	will	find	useful	websites	and	contact	details	for	
          other agencies that can provide further help.

36                                                                                                                                                                  3
                    Every effort has been made to ensure that the
                    information in this guide is accurate but no responsibility   +44 (0)20 8392 3232
                    can be accepted for any errors or omissions.        
                    Roehampton University Accommodation Guide
                    2010 Edition