TRAIN STATION HISTORY (Fremantle) CITY WEST Located 1.6km from Perth Station. Opened in 1883. Originally called North Perth (1883 to 1890), then changed to West Perth (1890’s to 1993) and finally City West (1993 to today) City West was originally situated closer to Perth Station, near the old Perth Metropolitan Markets. It was at the Western end of the Peth goods yard, making it an important junction between Perth and Leighton, North Fremantle and Fremantle. WEST LEEDERVILLE Located 2.7km from Perth Station. Built in 1897. Originally called Leederville(1897 to 1912) and West Leederville(1913 to now) Busiest when football fans use the platform to access trains to Subiaco. Otherwise the station is relatively quiet. SUBIACO Located 3.7km from Perth Station. Built in 1883. When WA’s Benedictine Community moved from Guildford to the area in 1851, they established a monestary near Lake Monger, calling it New Subiaco. “Subiaco” was taken from an Itallian town (near Rome) in the Sabine Mountains. With the Fremantle to Guildford railway close by, a station was constructed in1883 and the “New” was dropped from New Subiaco. The original station was simple, containing a shelter with rounded roof and a ticketing office. It was upgraded in the 1890’s to contain a second rectangular shelter, with an elevated signal tower at one end. (Second shelter destroyed approximately 40 years ago) Recently (mid 1990’s) the station was rejuvinated. The station has been relocated underground and the strip of line through central Subiaco has been turned into a subway. The surrounding industrial zoned properties were sold off and turned into appartments and grassed areas. The old Subiaco Station can now be found at Whiteman Park, it’s the second platform (station shelter and signal cabin) at The Village Station. DAGLISH Located 5km from of Perth Station. Built in 1924. The only purpose Daglish station has ever served is as a passenger stop. Daglish is one of the only stations to have its original platform and building. Today Daglish is the closest patient stop for vistors to King Edward Hospital, which is located across the road. Daglish is situated amongst a quiet green suburb. SHENTON PARK Located 5.9km from Perth Station. Built in 1908. Originally called West Subiaco(1908 to 1934) and Shenton Park(1934 to now) In the past Shenton Park had rail sidings used by local industries. However, like most stations in Perth, they are now gone. Shenton Park is located across the road from Shenton College, where the majority of the students make use of the rail system to travel to school. KARRAKATTA Located 7.4km from Perth Station. Built in 1886. The main use of Karrakatta has been for people visiting the nearby Karrakatta Cemetery and soldiers travelling to the Karrakatta Barracks. The defence department used to have soul access to the siding of Karrakatta before it was removed. LOCH STREET Located 8km from Perth Station. Built in 1954. Constructed at the same time as the original Show Grounds station. The stations were erected a few hundred metres apart. Loch Street can only receive limited services due to the length of the platform. It is only serviceable by 2 carriage trains as 4 carriages are too long. SHOWGROUNDS Located 8.6km from Perth Train Station. Opposite the Claremont Showgrounds and is only used for special events. Originally opened in 1954 a few hundred metres West of Loch Street. This station was demolished in the mid 90’s, when the new Showgrounds Station was constructed. When work is being undertaken on the Fremantle line (between Showgrounds and Fremantle) trains, from Perth, terminate on the Showgrounds siding and passengers catch connecting bus services. CLAREMONT Located 9.3km from Perth Train Station. Built in 1881/1882. Originally called Butlers Siding, renamed Claremont in 1883. One of the original stations constructed along the Eastern Railway line from Fremantle to Guildford. Up until its duplication in 1896 the Eastern Railway was a single line. Claremont was used as a passing point for trains until then. Was used as the departure destination for the Royal Agricultural Show from 1905, until the Showgrounds Station was built in 1954. Originally the site for a small railway workshop and siding. Claremont is one of the only stations still in its original position with its original buildings in tact. The station buildings, passenger shelter, signal box, old footbridge and old workshop have all been restored to their former glory. SWANBOURNE Located 10.4km from Perth. Opened in 1904. Named after Swanbourne, in Buckingham Shire, England. Originally called Congdon Street(1904 to 1911) then Osborne(1911 to 1921) before finally being renamed Swanbourne(1921 to present). Swanbourne has a road traffic bridge crossing over it, which is unusual for a station on the Fremantle Line. GRANT STREET Located 11.1km from Perth Station. Built in 1954. Grant Street can only receive limited services due to the length of the platform. It is only serviceable by 2 carriage trains as 4 carriages are too long. Therefore, on the weekend, only one train per hour stops at Grant Street. COTTESLOE Located 12.4km from Perth Train Station. Built in 1890. Cottesloe used to be the junction point for the freight line from the Leighton rail yard. The line ran behind the Victoria Street and Mosman Park stations, joining with the main line at Cottesloe. Spare land is now all that remains of the infrastructure of the freight line. The platform currently in use at Cottesloe was the old island platform. The original platform can still be seen as you pass the station. There are no longer tracks running beside it and it is, obviously, not in use. MOSMAN PARK Located 13.5km from Perth Station. Built in 1890. Originally called Cottesloe Beach (1890 to 1931) then Buckland Hill(1931 to 1937) and finally Mosman Park(1937 to present). Behind the Perth bound platform is evidence of the freight line that ran from the Leighton Marshalling Yards to Cottesloe, connecting to the main line. There has been a depression left in the ground from the lines. VICTORIA STREET Located 14.2km from Perth Station. Opened in 1954. Behind the Perth bound platform is evidence of the freight line that ran from the Leighton Marshalling Yards to Cottesloe, connecting to the main line. There has been a depression left in the ground from the lines. Victoria Street station overlooks Leighton Beach and Buckland Hill. After the closure of Leighton Station, Victoria Street became a very important stop for people between North Fremantle and Victoria Street. (Due to big gap) NORTH FREMANTLE Located 16.2km from Perth Train Station. Built to replace the original North Fremantle and Leighton stations. FREMANTLE Located 18.7km from Perth. Built in 1881, closed and rebuilt in 1907. The original station was next to Cliff Street. This is where the original Locomotive Depot was located as well. The station was the hub of activity on the Eastern Railway. In 1907 a larger (grander) station was positioned and built a little closer (300m) along the line towards Perth. In the gold-rush days, Fremantle would have been a hive of activity. Hopeful miners would disembark from the various transports in the port, making their way to the train station, before heading inland to the goldfields.