INDIGENOUS HERITAGE Yea The Aboriginal people who inhabited the Yea area for tens of thousands of years before Europeans arrived belonged to the Waring Illum Balluk part of the Heritage Walk Taungurung clan. They held alliances with several other clans and language groups in Victoria who together are known as the Kulin Nation. Their habitation was guided by a rich spirituality. In most parts EUROPEAN of Victoria the great All - Father or Creator was known as Bunjil, the spirit eagle. Bunjil created the natural features of the land, DISCOVERY the animals, the plants, and he created the people. During the On Saturday, October the 2nd, 1824, Hamilton Hume and William creation or dreamtime, Bunjil lived rst on earth and later Hovell began their historic expedition from the County of ascended to the sky, Bunjil's spirit home. From there he looks Cumberland, NSW. Their small party consisted of six men, two down and sees all that happens. Bunjil showed people how to carts, three horses and numerous dogs. care for the land, and this is re ected in many traditional The objective was to explore the land between Cumberland and ceremonies and rituals. The Taungurung lived harmoniously Westernport. according to the natural cycle and rhythms of the land. After crossing the Goulburn at what is now Molesworth on Movements through their territory Saturday, December 4th, 1824, Hovell recorded... were based on an intimate "The soil produces an abundance of ne grass and knowledge of the local both hills and lowlands are thinly covered with timber. environment, food sources, race It is our opinion that we have not seen a more and kinship obligations, and were agreeable and interesting country since leaving guided by seasonal in uences. home." Food was plentiful around the Settlement of Yea did not begin until 1837, but it soon ourished. river systems with emus, The rst town was known as Muddy Creek, named by Hume and kangaroos, possums and goannas Hovell, but in 1855 the name was changed to Yea, to honour as well as freshwater sh, crays and Colonel Lacey Walter Yea, O cer in Charge of the Regiment, who abundant plant foods. During was killed in action during the Crimean War. winter and spring tribes would camp along the tributaries of the Goulburn, returning upstream again in summer and autumn to Discover Our Secrets the cooler mountainous areas. John Franklin, a native of the Nira Illum Bulluk a neighbouring High Street., Yea 3717 clan around Broadford, was somehow separated from his Ph/Fax: (03) 5797 2663 email: firstname.lastname@example.org Participate family and their culture at 4 years of age. John later worked in the Yea district as a farm labourer, horse-breaker, drover & www.yea.com.au Discover farmer, contributing to the development of the area & is honoured by many proud descendants. The Franklin Track in Celebrate the Yea Wetlands is named after him. YEA HERITAGE INFORMATION Yea 0 Scale 250 Metres 500 Yea Wetlands Yea Emergency Phone No.s Police 5797 2630 Emergency 000 Y Palm Hospital 5797 2500 Ct Ye er Emergency 000 a Participate Ma Kil The Yea township was surveyed and laid out in 1855 by rsh lin Yea Tennis ba Fire Brigade ( re calls gw nk Club St or John Ro only) 5797 2676 th Cummins ad Thomas Pinniger, Surveyor. St Reserve Recre Yea Showgrounds Yea & Recreation RACV 5797 3203 Gi o ie DiScover Craig ation Res. Yea Wetlands Hwy y 12 Valle rd Hood Walks Yea Veterinary Hospital Av St Beginning in 1852, Mr Pinniger, a government surveyor, spent 7 St 5797 2300 Nola e To Alexandra 9 8 Polic n urn oulb n St Statio Wh G & Mans eld Pech 1110 CFA ulance Amb Celebrate atto the next 20 years completing the geodetic survey of central n P ell St Riv Web lace Street 14 13 3 4 5 6 St er ster St Victoria, including the design, layout and naming of Yea and a Loan High To Seymour grass St Yea River Snod Shire Hall e Bowling Ann St 2 22 Me Club Yea number of other regional townships. Seventeen of his survey Yea Mil Caravan 1 lba PO Po ming ler St High 17 Apex 23 24 rt St Park im Stati Cou ol on Sw Park 18 Goulb points, marked by large stone cairns, have been located 15y St urn Pioneer Res St Yea Primary Valley 21 Scots Presbyterian School 25 Mary Hw r Church St Lions Park ssie Yea Railw Peli around the Yea district. A replica cairn and information board Racecourse Rd 19 St.Lukes Yea St Hospital Pl. Railw ay Anglican ay S To Racecourse, Golf Aldous Church Picnic tatio n 20 Oliver can be found in High Street opposite the Shire Hall. Av Catholic & Re Course, High School c. Ar cis St g ea ckin Church & indoor Stadium Fran Ho 16 Sacred St Heart Drysd ale Rotary Hw y A'B School Park St Rag eck Lyo St Rd e Mr Pinniger’s son later became Surveyor General of Victoria Georg ett lan ns Ran The p ge Rd Cam St St W hittle s e a St St Yea 26 Para from 1925-1926. St (North St) Brand St Cheese de Welch Rose y St ok Co t St Rattra S Melal ke Du The following buildings numbered on the map and described son Grevillea St St euca the ara Me St Ma e St St urn St below have a numbered copper plate to identify them. Yea Moyle lbo Me East St S outh S t 1 Yea Post O ce –1890. Sa ith ley Sm ard Hill St s St St Rd 2 Horse Trough near the Hume & Hovell monument in the Yea Legend Yea Business & Tourism Association PO Box 92, Yea, 3717. Fountain Gardens. To Melbourne via Kinglake Main Roads To Yea Sealed Roads Cemetery To Melbourne via & Whittlesea Yarra Glen 3 Yea Fountain - built using a £200 "Ideal Town Competition" Unsealed Roads 27 prize in 1928. Yea was described as close to perfect with the mingled requirements of town planning and civic beauty. 12 Recreation Reserve Grandstand – 1891. Few of these characteristic 21 St. Luke's Anglican Church – Built 1869. Cost £600 ($1,200) with old style pavilions remain. £200 ($400) spent on furnishings. National Trust Building. Carter's Cafe – 1877. Originally the Commercial Bank and used 4 as the gold buying o ce during the local gold mining era. The 13 Grand Central Hotel – 1901. Formerly the Caledonian Hotel. 22 Lee Gow's Restaurant – 1889. Built by Mr Lee Gow, a original facade remains today. well-known Chinese resident of the town, who advertised his 14 Yea News Agency – circa 1898. Formerly Cairn’s Drapery Store. store as "your dear old friend Lee Gow." Yea Shire Hall – Originally a single story Hall it was rebuilt by 5 15 Private Residence, cnr High and Webster St this is one of Yea's L.J. Bishop in 1894 & extended in 1923. The front rooms were earliest homes. The detached kitchen still stands at the rear. 23 Presbyterian Church - named 'Scot's Church', o cially opened the original Yea Shire O ces. with three services on July 12th 1923 at a total cost of £2600 16 16 North Street – circa 1876. Private residence built of local ($5,200) Builder L.J. Bishop. 6 ‘Belvoir’ – 1884. The residence and clinic of Yea’s rst Doctor. handmade bricks by J.D. Webster. Remains virtually unaltered. Now a private residence. 24 ‘Halletta’, Private residence, cnr Station and Mary St. A typical Police Residence – 1894. Initial building cost £98/10 ($199). The 17 Beaufort Manor – 1876. Built of local handmade bricks for £3,000 Edwardian Villa of the early 1900's. 7 ($6,000). Yea Orchestral Society (20 members) practiced here in three stall stable and forage store were added in 1900. The the 1890's. Served as the school and boarding house for Ivanhoe 25 Railway Station - 1889. One of the best remaining examples of stable’s interior remains in excellent condition today. Gothic style stations in Victoria. It has excellent tuck- pointed Grammar when they were evacuated during World War 2. brickwork. 8 Country Club Hotel – 1856. Formerly the Commercial Hotel. 18 Pioneer Reserve – 1877. The rst school in Yea built for £510 Original stone walls in Lounge remain clearly visible. ($1,020). Extended in 1885 and 1901. 26 Yea Butter Factory – First Incorporated in 1891. Produced 24 tons of “Sheoak Brand” butter a week by 1905. Closed in the 9 Marmalades – 1897. Formerly Commercial Store also known as 19 ‘Rossmore’ – cnr Pelissier and Raglan St, Yea Hospital until 1930, 1980's but served as a Cheese Factory for several years, now a Purcell’s after the family managed the store until sold in 1986. now a private residence. private residence. National Trust Classi ed. 20 Sacred Heart Catholic Church – 1902. Built at a cost of £2369 27 Old Cemetery- at the end of Lyons St. The nal resting place of 10 Commercial Bank Building – Built 1901. ($4,738) to replace the original timber Church building. The many early settlers. Many of the original wooden headstones 11 Commonwealth Bank – 1923. Built as State Bank of Victoria. adjoining Presbytery was built in the 1890s. were destroyed by bush re at the turn of the century.
Pages to are hidden for
"Yea Heritage Walk"Please download to view full document