Document Sample
haf Powered By Docstoc
					                               My Scoliosis Story
                              By Hollyn Finkemeier

       While most 11-year-old girls are thinking about slumber parties and
ballet class, I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Scoliosis when my mom
spotted the hump on my back as I was stretching in my room one night. My
mom took me to several spine surgeons to be x-rayed. The x-rays showed
that I had severe double-curve scoliosis.
        My spinal curves were severe enough where 4 out of the 5 spine
surgeons that my mom and I went to see recommended immediate spinal
fusion surgery. We were told that the risk of waiting even a few months
could mean that my spine would continue to curve putting me at great health
       My parents were not going to schedule surgery right away. They
wanted to try the non--traditional method of physical therapy and wearing of
a brace, called a Milwaukee brace that went from my neck to my hips. Dr.
Asher was the only spine surgeon who was supportive of me trying to go the
non-surgical route. I wore the brace to school and to sleep in. The only time
I took it off was to exercise.
       With a dad who was a strength coach for the University of Kansas and
a mom who taught gymnastics, I had my own team of physical therapists.
“My mom and dad made me do lat pull downs, back extensions, and
crunches with the medicine ball every night. My dad even hung 3 chin up
bars in the stair wells throughout our home.”
       From age 12 to 18 I continued ballet, gymnastics, and started
swimming on my high school swim team. While I stayed strong and fit, my
curves increased. By age 19 in 1999; my thoracic curve as 70 degrees and
my lumbar was nearing 80 degrees. The pain had gone from a dull ache to a
sometimes stabbing pain that only went away after a hard weight workout or
swim workout. “I quit my retail job that I had in college because standing
more than 4 hours/day.”
       At the end of 2000, I went for my yearly check up with Dr. Asher. I
knew my pain was worse, but I was sickened to learn that my curvature had
increased to the point that I had shrunk in height from 5’1” to 4’11”. I drove
home from the appointment with the thought that I should stop trying to
prolong the inevitable. Plus, my bones were hardening with age; so Dr.
Asher advised me to schedule the surgery now if I was going to do it.
       The hardest part about my dilemma was that my parents were both
really nervous about me doing it. They saw how active I was, and they
thought that I would not be able to continue to workout every day and enjoy
all my outdoor activities. Plus, there was a risk of paralysis and chronic pain.
       In March 2001 while standing in line to KU to enroll for my senior
classes, I impulsively called Dr. Marc Asher at KU Med and scheduled a
surgery for May 14, 2001.
        The next eight weeks were gut-wrenching. I was struggling with
giving up my spinal flexibility. I was scared that I would not be able to look
natural and bend. Neither of my parents wanted me to get the surgery. This
scared me to death that I was doing it without their agreement, but I knew I
had to make a change.
       The eight weeks leading up to my surgery I tried to gain as much
muscle as possible as well as keeping my heart and lungs really strong
through long cardio sessions. Running up and down the bleachers in
Memorial Stadium was a huge accomplishment for me that turned into a fun
afternoon workout.
       With the incredible support of friends and family and an amazing
team of doctors and nurses at KU Med, I survived the 21 hour
instrumentation and fusion of her spine. I gained 3 inches of height from her
surgery, going from 4’11” to 5’2”. I didn’t have height to spare! The
recovery was long and hard, but was about fifty percent quicker than Dr.
Asher estimated.
       After the 21 hour surgery my parents were overwhelmed with the
incredible amount of pain I was in. Apparently I kept begging for more pain
medication. I do not remember this because of the high dosages of
morphine that I was on.
       I was in the ICU for 6 days and 6 more days on the regular floor. I
went from 123 lbs to 97 lbs in 3 weeks from my body being under so much
stress trying to recoup and heal itself. I also ate nothing for 6 days.
       I finally got to go home from the hospital after passing my therapeutic
evaluation. I had to get out of bed by myself, walk 100 feet down the hall
and up and down 6 stairs. I went home but was too weak and sore to even
pour my own milk in my cereal. Dr. Asher instructed me that I was not to lift
more than 10 lbs for 1 year while my spine fused. I also could not take any
kind of anti-inflammatory medication because that would prevent my bones
from fusing.
         I stayed at home for 5 more weeks before I forced myself to get in
my car and drive to my gym, Prairie Life Center. Being so sedentary was
causing me to feel anxious and completely out of sorts on top of the pain,
soreness, and discomfort. Basically, I felt horrendous.
        I will never forget my first “workout.” It took me five minutes to get
out of the car as I fought back tears. Since my spine was fused and I was so
stiff, I could not bend or lean over as I got up out of the car. I finally made it
inside the gym.
        Gingerly, I got on the treadmill and walked for 15 minutes on level
2.7. Then I got on the stationary bike, rode it slowly for 10 minuets and then
went home completely exhausted.
        I went back to the gym every single day for the next 10 weeks. I built
up my strength and stamina until I was back to doing 30 minutes on the
Stairmaster, and lifting light weights, 5 lbs and under and never doing any
weight lifting that put pressure on my healing spine.
        It took over a year for my spine to fuse and for me to feel back to
myself. I was not able to do pull ups for dips for almost 2 years after the
surgery. Now it has been 4 years, and I am in great health and have
competed in 3 figure competitions within the last year. The first competition
was the 2004 Kansas City Golds Classic in the NANBF. I placed 2nd, and
went on to compete in Denver and Iowa.
        There are still risks associated with my spine. I am not supposed to
run as a hobby. I love to run and compete several times a year in 10K and
12K runs. I would love to do a marathon, but that would be very foolish.
Since my spine is fused, I have no discs in between my vertebrae to be shock
absorbers for my back. All of the pressure of my weight and running is
placed on my bottom to lumbar vertebrae as well as my cervical vertebrae.
There is a 20% chance that sometime in my life I will have to do a re-
surgery. Also, eventually my body could reject the one pound of titanium I
have in my spine, and I would have to get them removed. I am continuing
to lift weights and stay a healthy weight so that these risks are reduced.
        I am blessed with health by God, blessed with wonderful family and
friends and a talented doctor that altogether brought me through this.