Document Sample
glenn_morrow Powered By Docstoc

[NOTE: At the start of the tape, Glenn Morrow shows Mike Moncus an aircraft he built and some
areas of the airport.]

MIKE MONCUS: This is Glenn Morrow's plane that he built back in the 60's. We have records
and pictures of it on file at the Archives. The footage already run on this tape is of Mr. Glenn
Morrow's plane that he built himself many years ago and has recently restored. At this point and
time, I will begin an interview with Mr. Glenn Morrow. Today's date is September 16, 2003 and
we're at the airport. [LaGrange-Callaway Airport]

MIKE MONCUS: Glenn, would you start out by telling us when and where you were born, your
father's name, your mother's name, their business, brothers and sisters and so on.

GLENN MORROW: O.K. Well, I was born up in Randolph County, Alabama, Woodland,
Alabama, a little country community, probably 15 to 18 miles northeast of Roanoke in 1938. My
father and mother, they were farmers; of course up there, it's farm country through there. But they
were farmers up there and my father's name was Iverson J. Morrow, and mother's name was Ruby
R. Morrow. I had one brother, Troy Morrow, who is two years older than I was. He stayed with
the LaGrange Police Department over thirty-three years before he retired here. I had one sister,
Jean, Imogene Morrow, and she married when she finished high school and moved off to Virginia.
She's been up in Danville, Virginia, for all that length of time.
        But Dad quit farming. We moved to LaGrange when I was about 6. That was in 1944. He
moved here, brought the family. Mother went to work with Callaway Mills Company. Daddy was
a barber, so he worked in barbershops and he died 2 years ago at age 85, he was a retired barber.
He owned a number of barbershops here in town. Then at about that time, age 6, we lived out on
the Whitesville Road there, about 304 Whitesville. You know there was a big house there and it's
torn down recently there. We lived in that neighborhood all the time up until I married. We were
still somewhere close in that neighborhood there.
        I started coming out to the airport in '44, after we moved to LaGrange. We'd either try to
thumb a ride or we'd try to get a bicycle where we could ride it. We'd ride it to the airport, and
back then, the government had come in, somewhere in late '44 or '45, and purchased this land. It
was mostly swampland at that time and they wanted to build a B-29 bomber training base here,
which they did build this airport for that. We use to watch them actually construct and build this
airport in '45, but by the time they got the airport completed the war was over. So they never did
actually land a B-29 here or use it as a training base so it was turned back over to the city and
county when the war ended in '45.

MIKE MONCUS: O.K. Now, let's talk a little bit about where you went to school, let's backup a
little bit and then I'm going to come back to the airport. Talk about where you went to elementary

GLENN MORROW: O.K. When we moved here, first we went to what they call the old Tatum
School; it was out on the Roanoke Road. There was an old building out there. It has been torn
down and there's a new school built in its place now. From there, I went on to Harwell Avenue
School, course it's gone too. Then from Harwell, I went to Hill Street School and then to LaGrange
High School and graduated from LaGrange High in 1956.

MIKE MONCUS: Who were some of your classmates at the high school?

GLENN MORROW: We had old Dusty Mills, you know Dusty around here, Dusty was coach at
Troup High School, I believe.

MIKE MONCUS: Dusty has been one of the people we interviewed.

GLENN MORROW: Sure enough. Dusty, we graduated together. Jesse Smith, Jesse played right
end for the same football team that Dusty was quarterback on, and Johnny Fincher, Joyce Harris.
We've had two or three class reunions in the last probably five or six years. We get them... one of
them is up in Alaska and she drove all the way back just to come to the class reunion, quite unusual
I thought.

MIKE MONCUS: So after high school, now what did you do?

GLENN MORROW: We were playing music back in high school and we had a band right after
high school called "The Rocking Rebels." We were, five of us together, we were live on W.T.R.P.,
and they were in the old Hammett building at that time. Every Thursday evening from four to four-
thirty, we'd come on with live music, five of us. The five of us stayed together for 15 years in the
band before we started changing members. We started playing music and we made the records, the
45 RPMs with the big holes in the middle and the big eight tract tapes, course that's what they had
back then. We were the front bands. We'd come on and warm up crowds for these people when
they were in the southeast. We were front bands for Jerry Lee Lewis, the Everly Brothers, Joe
South, Brenda Lee, and Charlie Rich. We were on at the old Ryman [Auditorium in Nashville] in
1962 I believe it was. We started playing music and course we were working too and just played
music, you know.

MIKE MONCUS: Who were the original five in "The Rocking Rebels?"

GLENN MORROW: It was myself, Hunter Milan was on drums, David Keeth played guitar,
Clifford McDaniel played piano and Frank Hunter played guitar and sang, and they're all still alive.
Hunter went on and made a schoolteacher. He's retired now, he taught music at Columbus Schools
for years and years. David went to Nashville and was a staff musician up there playing guitar.
Clifford, he's still around town, Clifford McDaniel and Frank Hunter, he's over in Thomaston,
Georgia. He owns some type of big grocery store over there.

MIKE MONCUS: While we're talking music, do you still play?

GLENN MORROW: Oh yes, but back when we played, the county was dry. There wasn't any
liquor anywhere in this county. If you got any you bought "shine" or you went to Columbus and
got you some, you know. So we started playing in high school gyms and school dances and proms
and stuff like that. The clubs, the Moose Club, the Elks Club, you had to be a member to get in and
they wouldn't let us in cause we weren't old enough to be a member. So we couldn't play in those
and finally they would let you join because the clubs got a little wet anyway you know, they had it
at their bar, you know.
         Then we started working in those and then about 15 to 18 years ago, I quit playing country
music and I've been playing gospel music ever since then. I've played with the Followers quartet,
local you know, the Boyds for years and I played with the Brown Brothers quartet for about the last
12 years, fact is we were at a Singing last week. We've got two or either three singings next month
with the Brown Brothers; they're out of the Valley. I still play in church, all services in church and
so I had a singing last Friday and one Saturday night and also I went over and played with a group
Sunday evening, over in Molena, Georgia. I'm still pretty active in music too.

MIKE MONCUS: Now, let's go back to the airport, you said you began to come out to the airport
back in '44 when you first moved here and there's an interest apparently there in the airport.
Describe what the airport really looks like back then, and where exactly in relationship to where
this terminal is now, where was the airport?

GLENN MORROW: O.K. In '44 the airport was over on the other side, where the old wooden
hangar is, that's a military-built hangar over there, and they hadn't started on it then. We had a
grass strip over there-- that was all it was, just grass, the rest of this was sort of like, it was
swampland all around us mostly. This spot right here is the highest spot on this airport, the rest of
it is real swampy around it, you know.

MIKE MONCUS: You're referring to where this terminal is now?

GLENN MORROW: It was on a little rise across here, but all we had over there for an airport then
was a grass strip over there and that was it at that time, in '44, until the government came in and
bought this land. I heard for years that they bought it from Mr. Callaway. They bought the land
and then they came in and built what you see today. The only thing that we have added to this
airport since the government built it is 600 more feet on one runway, and this terminal. This
terminal was built about 12 years ago, but we operated out of the old military wooden hangar over
there for 30 years probably, or more than that, 40 years probably. That's all we had then was the
original grass strip and then the government, this is a very nice built runway, these taxi ways and
runways, man they got a cement slab, or whatever you call it under there. I watched them pour it.
It's very, very thick and we had three runways at that time, sort of like an "A". You know, one this
way and two across, that's standard government airport. We took the one runway that goes on the
"A" pattern and comes down and we used it for a foundation to build the new "T" hangars down
there, cause we didn't need three runways. Two runways crossings are actually enough. But we had
no airport really until the government built this airport for the war purposes for training. Then they
turned it back over to the city and county when the war ended, so they actually built us this nice

MIKE MONCUS: So in '45 when they turned it back over, they left good runways and so on that
you have described. What was the airport really used for in those early years, '45 and the ten years
after that?

GLENN MORROW: It was strictly for pleasure. After the war, there were thousands and
thousands of pilots that came home and they sort of wanted to stay in aviation so they would buy
them a little what we call a Piper Cub or an Aeronca Champ a little two place fabric airplane or
some type of little small airplane. They wanted to stay in flying in just a little personal airport. We
probably had back then 10 to 15 men that were ex-military that would come out. Some of them
formed a little club and they all joined it and they could rent the airplanes for. That's where I
learned to fly, I was in the Civil Air Patrol; I got in. In fact, the little club let us use their airplanes
to learn to fly and an ex-military instructor taught me to fly over there, at the old hangar. That's all
it was basically, just a general aviation airport, you know, with just people wanting to still fly

MIKE MONCUS: So, there's still a lot of people who use the airport for pleasure, I know, but it
has become more of a business type of airport now than what it has -- talk about how that has
developed according to you.

GLENN MORROW: I can remember when we were flying, I soloed a Piper Cub in 1955, and back
then aircraft were not used in business purposes. There weren't any aircraft to use. All they had
was ex-military planes and what they did with those, a lot of them, they took a bulldozer and the
military destroyed them. Nobody wanted them cause it cost so much to go -- two engine, four
engine airplanes and it burned so much fuel. Nobody wanted those things so there for a long time it
was just general aviation, small airplanes. And then we had Eastern Airlines. They had a DC-3 out
of Atlanta and they started coming in here at the old hangar over there. They would come in, if
weather permitted, twice a day, if not, once a day. They'd leave Atlanta and come here and go to
Columbus and Eufaula and Dothan, you know, just up and down, two or three thousand feet and it
sort of got commercialized a little bit from there.
         Then the companies that built airplanes for the war purpose, Cessna, Beechcraft and all
those people, were building them, you know, to fight the war. They started designing aircraft that
could be used in business. That was probably in the late 50's or maybe in the 60's before any type
of aircraft that actually came out that a company could buy and you know and use for a business. It
was just slow. It took time to get people to realize that they could use an airplane in a business. It
took years in fact, mainly because you know, making and designing the aircraft and getting them
there, and then people to realize, you know, hey, we can do this job in one day what it's going to
take that man a week to do in his car. So it took years to get this to develop, to go from general
aviation flying after the war to a business type flying. Then slowly, this airport turned around and
now, we've got about sixty something airplanes based on this airport, small general aviation
airplanes. We have a lot of corporations that come in here, cause we've got this industrial park and
a lot of industry around and a lot of jets come in here and we can handle most jets that want to land
here. We've got full instrument landing systems now, we didn't have that, course we didn't have the
         When I started flying you propped the airplanes, no electrical system, and no lights. We
didn't fly at night. We didn't land on these fine runways, it was too slick, we landed in the grass
cause it's different in the grass than it is a runway. And then slowly the airplanes started getting
better. They started getting electrical systems in them and then they came out with like a light
center. Then they came out with radios in them and it was the old hand cranked radios, where you
had to tune the receivers like your radio in your house, where you had to tune them. We didn't
know what to do with those things, you know. We didn't have nobody to show us, so finally every
now and then the people that could afford it would put them a radio in the airplane and we'd play
with it. It took years to get this market open to where that everything was there, probably, I don't
even know, maybe 20 years, to get the equipment. We'd never heard of an instrument flight.
When I learned to fly we had 50 questions, true or false, on the F.A.A. exam. Now you've got a
half a dozen and you don't know which exam they're going to give you with the F.A.A. and none of
them are true or false. Today you can [get] instrument ratings, and commercial and multi-engine
and back then we'd never heard of that cause we didn't have the airplanes that you could [do] that
with. But slowly all of this stuff comes out and the airplanes came out with instruments in them
and you could fly them. Then it went from just out joy riding, they started using these airplanes in
a business sense. It took a long time to do that, to get them to where you actually had the equipment
to go out and fly the weather. We had no radar, never heard of radar back then. We had no
approach controllers that could track us on radar like they got today. Today you've got
transponders and encoders and back then if he says you're clear to 20,000 feet you could go to
where you wanted to. They didn't know where you were at. Today you can get 20 feet high and if
there's a radio in the airplane, it'll send it out telling him [how] high you are, telling him how fast
you're going. You can't fudge any more, but that took years to develop to get into this, you know,
this type of flying. It's not just this airport, it's the whole aviation field, you know, it was like that.

MIKE MONCUS: Go back and tell us now how you mentioned that you learned to fly from an old
army pilot, go back and tell us about now how you got into flying and your training and how you
became the corporate pilot and even into what you're doing today.

GLENN MORROW: O K. I started, I've always had a great interest in airplanes, so by coming out
to the airport there like I did, the fellow that was running the airport there, he was ex-military, and I
would come out and sweep the hangar out over there and wash the airplanes or help him cover
them. Most airplanes back then were fabric covered. [I] just worked generally around the airport
for Saturday and Sunday and my pay was one trip around the patch, you know, in his airplane. We
took cushions out of the sofas inside of the airport office; I did, and put in this airplane where I
could see out. I just started flying from there and I soloed in 1955. I had 5 hours and 15 minutes in
a Piper Cub and then from there, the first license you can get actually is just solo. That means you
can fly by yourself. No, you can't haul passengers. You don't have any training to go across
country or nothing. But, I just kept on flying through the years and then I got a private license and
that means you can carry somebody with you and go where you want to go but you can't fly it for
hire. You've got to have so many hours to get that and then commercial. You've got to have so
many more hours then. All of these-- you take a written exam and of course a flight exam.
Then, I went on and got a commercial [license] and then on into a multi-engine. I didn't do it in
the military, I did it out here at this airport by just staying in it and keep flying when I could and
where I could and who I could fly with, you know, and getting all the ratings. I worked myself on
up to multi-engine ratings and West Point Pepperell had a twin Beechcraft over there, then they got
a King Air, a turbo prop airplane in 1962. They use to hire me to ride the right seat. Their
insurance said you had to have two pilots so they'd hire me to ride the right seat with them, copilot,
so I got a lot of experience like that and then with other companies. Just worked my way on up and
then through the years I just kept on flying with different corporations, flying full time, but I got my
training in the airplanes. We never heard of school back then. Today you can't go out here, you
can get all the ratings you want through the F.A.A. but the insurance companies will tell you what
you've got to do and today, they require you to go to school with just about any airplane that you
want to fly.
         I've been flying these 421s so long...they don't require me to go to school on that airplane,
but I just stayed in it and came up that way rather than-- but today you can go to school. You can
[get] a type rating in anything you want to get a type in. In simulators, you don't even have to fly
an airplane, you can sit there at the simulator, it's so real like. I got a jet type rating in a Citation.
McDonald Oil Company bought a Citation jet and I flew it four and a half years for them as a
single pilot and we've got a single pilot rating in the airplane. Its the only jet made that you can get
a single pilot rating in, if you go to school and you pass everything then they'll give you a single
pilot rating in that airplane Its very important to be a single pilot. I just stayed with the
corporations and just kept building time, time and time and today, just log time, just like I was
flying today. I don't log that but, you know, all the time that I log is what I fly for corporations and
I've got a little over 15,200 hours that I have flown, you know, as a job or as a corporate pilot of
some kind. I don't log the smaller stuff it's just too much time to keep up with, but I just stayed
with it and just worked my way up through it, 30 years, you know.

MIKE MONCUS: Let's talk a little bit about, let me ask you a question about this airport now. We
know the government built the runways and all but there has been a lot of improvement here since
that government built hangar over there we were talking about. Talk a little bit about the time
element and the improvements that we see out here today and maybe even about where maybe the
funds came from for a lot of the improvement here.

GLENN MORROW: O.K. We operated, like I said, out of the old hangar there probably for over
30 years, between 35 and 37 years in May. The airport stayed the same, same runways, 5000 feet
long. We got what we call a D.O.R. instrument approach out there, it's been there forever, it just
stayed the same for years, and years and years and then we formed, or somebody formed, city and
county or somebody, formed the Airport Authority. From that and all the business we were getting
in here [referring to the Industrial Park], we started getting in heavier aircraft and the facilities over
there were way outdated. We just couldn't handle the jets in the facilities over there at the old
hangar and we didn't have the gas pumps. We had no gas trucks or anything like we've got today.
We applied, or they did, for federal funds and you can get federal funds on certain things, you
know, you've got to go through, you know, a lot of stuff to get it, but we applied for federal funds
and we hired some people to come in and tell us where we needed to build a new hangar and draw
it up and engineer it and design it and they selected this high spot right here. {Note: refers to new
        This was just nothing over here at that time but trees and grass and that was about it. They
suggested, this road wasn't even here then, they suggested we cut a road here and come down, and
this was built about 12 or 13 years ago. We did get federal funds to help us to build this. When we
extended the runway from 5000 feet to 5600, we did that for the reason, they installed a complete
what we call an I.L.S system. That's an Instrument Landing System, to that runway 31. That
means you can shoot your approach down to, you've got instruments that bring you left and right of
the runway and brings you down at an angle to the end of that runway on what we call a glide slope
and longer jets, they needed a little more runway than 5000 feet, what we call field length, and a jet
you can run down through here and if you have a problem before you rotate, then you've got to
have field length, before you rotate you've got to have enough room left to bring the throttles back
and stop that airplane. Different jets with different weights and loads and everything, it's going to
take more runway cause it's heavier so we had to increase it to 5600 and the plans are now to
increase it more. So we increased that and got a federal grant for that, federal funds to help us on
that, course city and county helps us some and then course this was built, like I said about 12 years
ago, and they helped us with this and we moved over here and we put this hangar up and then we
started building all these others. All we had over there was that old T hangar you see. We've built
all these hangars down here, but a lot of it was from federal grants or funds that really helped us do
this, like probably in the last 12 or 13 years that we've done all you see here today. This has really
been an asset to the city here. We get, there are a lot of people that comes in here. Last we week
we had old, who was it use to be the quarterback of the Miami Dolphins?

MIKE MONCUS: I know who you're talking about.

GLENN MORROW: He comes in here all the time. Farley comes in here, course he messed up
West Point-Pepperell, but these people come in here all the time. We get a lot of big name people
in here and the people uptown don't know that, you know. We get a lot of corporations, sometimes
there's jets covering this whole ramp out here and we'll sell approximately about 30,000 gallons of
jet fuel a month now, on an average to these people. Now the airport is paying for itself, with the
help we've got and everything. It's carrying itself now, so it's doing real good since we've built all
the facilities and it has grown to this point and everything.

MIKE MONCUS: Point out some of your primary users of the airport, other than people who have
personal planes here, you mentioned corporations, a lot of people use it. Who are some of the
primary users of the airport right now, in 2003?

GLENN MORROW: O.K. Primary right now of course is the Milliken Corporation. They've got 3
jet airplanes and l jet helicopter and they're in here anywhere from one to maybe four days a week.
Fact is they keep hangar rent paid for one jet, in the large hangar here, in case they're down so
much. They're our main people right now. Of course they've been that ever since Mr. Milliken
bought out the Callaway, you know, Mills and everything cause there are so many mills here and
he's in and out. I think Mr. Milliken is in town now. He'll be here 3 days this week from what I
understand and we've got 6 of their pilots here now. They keep a car here and everything for the
pilots. They're our main users and we've got the telephone plane that's based in there, what is it,
PSC, something like that, I forget what it is now, but we've got the telephone plane. It's a big Lear
45. It's about a year old, and it's a very nice corporate jet. It's about like a 14 million dollar jet, a
new one, and that's about what they paid for it. They're based here now and they have got 2 full
time pilots and a couple of pilots they pick up and use if one of their pilots wants to be off, but
they're based in the hangar all the time. In the hangar on my right over here, WestPoint Stevens is
based there and they built that hangar. They leased the land and they built the hangar themselves
and it's their hangar for like 20 years. Once their lease deal is up, then that building will go to the
airport here, of course. You know they've got a new 45 Lear jet that they paid about 14 million for,
less; I'd say about 6 or 8 months ago. So, they're our three main users that are based here. Now of
course, Milliken is in and out all the time but we get a lot of corporations that come through here.
We get a lot of jets that come through to pick up freight or some type of equipment from some of
these companies and haul it out of here. All the time, day and night, they'd come in here and do
that. But they're our three. We've got 2 other corporations based here and one of them has got a
twin and the other one has got the single that we keep based here, but I would say Mr. Milliken's
corporation is our main, biggest corporation that comes in all the time, really helps us.
MIKE MONCUS: Now, can you search your memory and tell us some interesting stories or
happenings that have happened here at the airport that you either know about or been involved in

GLENN MORROW: Oh yeah. We rebuilt an airplane one time at the old hangars, an old fabric
airplane, and one of the fellows always, smoked a cigar. In an aircraft hangar you don't smoke, so
he would keep a big old cigar stub in his mouth, you know, and we got that airplane built, went up
flying it around and everything and he'd fly it for probably an hour or hour and a half or something
or the other and that thing would quit. They landed that airplane in fields and pastures and
everywhere and he could not figure out what was happening to that airplane. So, whenever they,
one of the fellows was flying it, and he was over close to Roanoke and that thing quit and he landed
in a cow pasture they went over and took the wings off and hauled it back. So they decided to just
go through the complete fuel system. They took the gas caps off the top. The gas was in the wings
in a tank, took them off and everything, and checked it. They looked down in one of the tanks,
back then we didn't have filters or strainers or nothing, they just, you know, gas free flowed, gravity
down to the carburetor, so when they opened it up and looked down in it, there was a cigar stub,
down in that thing, and course it was all half a loose and everything, but when the gas would get
down so low that cigar would fall down in the gas line there, cause there was a low place in the
tank where the fuel would go to that low place, and that cigar would go to it and plug it up and man
they ragged that poor old fellow, I mean something awful about that. He had to "fess up." He didn't
want to "fess up" for a long time, but finally he did, but they ragged him quite a bit about that.
        We use to get two pound sacks of flour from Mr. Fling's grocery store that use to be up here
at Lee's Crossing, in the forks, where that convenience store is now. We'd go and buy a two- pound
sack of flour, in paper sacks. There were some houses over here on this end of the airport and we
would fly over there and open the window and throw those two pound sacks of flour out and bomb
those houses. You know, when that two- pound sack of flour hit, it would be a big white ring.
Flour would just go everywhere, big puff. So, you know Kenneth King, his folks use to run King
Furniture Company at Three Points, graduated with him from high school, in fact. We were flying
one day, we were bombing those houses and boy we was having the biggest time. We got back and
Sheriff Bailey was sheriff then and he was waiting on us at the old hangar. And he walked up and
he said, "boys," you know he talked real slow, he said, "boys I've got a report ya'll been over there
bombing out houses," and he said, "what ya'll gonna say?" We said, yes sir. He said, "boys I want
you to stop that now and quit bombing those houses." We said yes sir, so we didn't bomb those
houses, but it would just make the biggest old white [puff]. We'd throw them out at about four or
five hundred feet, you know, just a big old white puff, wham, having the biggest time. That got out
over town, that we were bombing the houses so everybody laughed at us. But we use to fly; back
when the old Roanoke Road was there it had an old bridge over it. Me and Ken, he'd get in his
uncle's little airplane, and I'd get in another one here that I'd rented, and we would come down the
river and fly under the bridge, you know. We use to have a lot of fun doing that too, but that's
about the craziest things I guess we ever did, bombing and flying under bridges. (Laugh)

MIKE MONCUS: Tell us about your family now, you know who you married, when you married
and just a little bit about you know, I can't interview a person without giving them an opportunity to
tell us about their pride and joy and that's their own family. Tell us about your family.
GLENN MORROW: Sure. I met my wife-- I was working with the Big Apple Company, an old
grocery store that use to be on Bull Street, right across at the rear of that bank, use to be C & S
Bank there, it's something or other else now.

MIKE MONCUS: NationsBank. [Bank of America]

GLENN MORROW: NationsBank is that what it is? O.K. There use to be a Big Apple Store there
and I worked there during school part-time and then full time and of course I was playing music
back then too. But, my wife comes through there and I got to picking at her. She was four years
younger than I was. She was the only child and I wrote her a little note one day, fact is, she's still
got that note, put up at the house there, and she would come through and buy groceries for her
family. I'd pick at her every week when she'd come through and I met her there. And then I got to
talking to her one day and I said, can I carry your--, course I was four years older and I think I had
just finished high school at that time and I was about 18 and she was getting close to 15 and I was
getting close to 19, and I said are you going to the ballgame tonight, at the old Callaway Stadium,
the old one back then. She said, "yeah she and her girlfriend were going," and I said, how about me
picking you up? She said, "no, no, no, no, my daddy don't let me date." I said, well, O.K., so
anyway I said, can I see you at the ballgame? She said, "yeah," so we went over there, a friend of
mine went with me, her friend came with her and I saw her at the ballgame and talked to her and I
said can I carry you home? She said, "no, no, you can't carry me home." I said, well can I walk
you home? And she lived on Houston Street at that time, that's a pretty good piece, you know,
from the stadium and she said, "yeah, you can walk me and my girlfriend, she lives right next to me
there at home." So, I got my friend to drive my car and he was riding along just real slow cause he
didn't know where we were going. He was following us on the road there and I walked her to
Houston Street, but her daddy wouldn't let her date, said she wasn't going to date until she was 16
and she didn't. When she got 16, he let me come to the house, but I wasn't invited inside. I had to
sit on the front porch with her, you know.

MIKE MONCUS: What was her name?

GLENN MORROW: Julia, Julia Cottle, at that time. Anyway it went from there and we were
together for four years, dated four years and then we were married, 1960. We've been married 43
years this last June. We had one son, Tim Morrow. He's with C B & T. You probably know Tim.
He's 40. We've been married 43 years and counting the four I knew her before, we've been together
47 years really. But Tim, he was the only son and [when] he got out of school he went with First
Federal then, stayed with them I think about 11 years. Then he went with C B & T and he's a
commercial lender up at C B & T. Tim's been married about 15, let's see I don't know, 13 or 14
years and he married a girl he met at LaGrange College and they've got 2 daughters, one is 13 and
one is 10. We didn't know what to do with those girls cause we had a boy, but man we wouldn't
take a million dollars for those two girls, they're something else, you know. They're in LaGrange,
there at Eagle's Rest. They come to see us and spend the night most Fridays they can with us. It's
different there you see, they're at our house. That's the family you know that is local, close.
Mamma died about 10 or 12 years ago, and like I said, Daddy died a couple of years ago and
brother died this last July was a year ago. It's just me and sister left with immediate family. I've
only got one aunt left on one side and two on the other and Mother had 13 brothers and sisters and
Dad had 11, but everybody is gone but one on one side and two on the other.
MIKE MONCUS: Before we started the interview I shot some footage of you flying a little
airplane, the viewers of the future will see that footage. Tell us a little bit about "Little Sweetie".

GLENN MORROW: (laugh) O.K. I named that "Little Sweetie" after my wife. I call her that a lot
and I call her "Little Sweetie," just a habit, hey Sweetie or something, you know. Or I call her,
"Coot," but she don't like it. (Laugh) Depends if you're mad at her or not. You know, call her
"Coot" if you're mad (laugh). I started building that little airplane in 1966 and I ordered some
plans. Back then we didn't have kits. You just ordered a load of aircraft lumber and aircraft steel
tubing, hollow steel tubing. I took a hacksaw and sawed the steel tubing out and ground it out on a
rock and welded it together. Made every piece on it, all but, the engine. [The engine] is an aircraft
engine and I bought it out of another old airplane from some fellow in Louisiana. But I made every
piece on that little airplane and it took me two years in spare time to make it and I got it to flying in
1968. We were still over at the old hangar at that time and LaGrange News came out and boy they
had pictures on the front [page] of that. There was all kind of people over there. They run an
article on it before I flew it announcing when I was going to fly it and then I flew it that day. We
had a nice crowd of people over there when I flew it. I have flown that little airplane since '68 and
I carried it home. It's covered with fabric, and I carried it home a very few years ago and took the
old fabric off and recovered it and made a few changes and got it covered up, repainted and sort of,
what we call type overhaul the engine and got it back in good shape about a year ago and started
flying it again. So it's just a little toy. I used it in air shows for about 10 years.
          It's got a good smoke system on it but I've gotten a little old to go out and pull 4 or 5 or 6
G's. I mean it hurts you. You've got to stay in good physical shape to go up and put on your body
like that. You can snap roll it and it's so little. You've seen it, it's very short and it's just, I mean
it'll give you a ride. Now you can do a good slow roll and you can do a nice big round loop and it
takes a good ride, but if you don't whoom, whoom, kick it around a little bit, then you're going to
pull 3 to 6 G's. It'll make your back hurt, and your head hurt, if you do it a lot or if you're out and
exercise and stay in shape you're O.K. to do that. But I built it just because I've always liked bi-
planes. Fact is I've got another one at home that the F.AA has signed off for covered, it's not
covered. I've got the engine; it's in 10 million pieces. I've got to put it together and finish up on that
but the F.A.A. has inspected it and signed it off for cover. So maybe it'll be flying one day, but that
gives me something to do at the house when I'm not out here, you know. But that's just a toy
airplane. It's very sensitive. You can be flying along and stick your left hand out like this and
you'll turn left, and your right, or etc. or you can lean forward in the cockpit, like this, and the nose
of that little airplane will go down, cause it's only thirteen and half feet long, so it's a very sensitive
little airplane but it's fun to fly, it's just a toy and I just built it for that.

MIKE MONCUS: Well, I guess we've about come to the end of our interview, I think I've about
talked you out, but what I like to do before I end the interview is first of all, is there anything you
want to record that I haven't asked you or that you might have just remembered on this video?

GLENN MORROW: Ah, I was thinking a minute ago [about] all the people that use to fly over
there. Bill Sanders, who works here now, Bill and I have flown together since we were kids. His
daddy, William Sanders, he's dead now, and Gilbert Holiday, I know you remember Gilbert, he use
to be over there at the old airport and they were in this club I was telling you about. Clyde Mull, I
think he's dead today too. Dave McDaniel, Dave is living in Panama City, he's been retired for
years. Dave's health is not good. Warren Chastain was a mechanic and he run the airport over there
at the old hangar at that time. Mr. Holliday, we were real good friends, and Harvard Norred, you
might know Harvard, he use to work at the Police Department here 40 years ago and he went up to
Gwinnett County. He's in his 80s, probably 81 now. He's retired and he use to fly over there. All of
these are the old people and I think about them all the time and they kept the airport going. A lot of
those people were ex-military people and I thought the world of them.
         Mr. Holliday gave me, they had a corporation formed, I forget what the name of it was, like
LaGrange Aerial, or something like that, and he gave me all of these big stocks. I've got these now,
still got them. I got the stock book and they sold stock in that little corporation, like ten dollars a
share. Bill Sanders' daddy, William, had a share for ten dollars with his name on it. I gave that to
Bill Sanders, that stock certificate, big old one, you know, so he could have it on his daddy. But, he
gave me that and signed that corporation, I don't know why over to me or nothing, but I've got all
these people on these stock and I've got a lot of bills that they had, like in gas, twenty-one, twenty-
three cents a gallon. They kept records on yellow pads, on their bookkeeping, and they'd do
inventory, you know, with a pencil and write everything out. I've got all these old papers which are
very interesting to me to look at, showing the prices of things, what they paid for things and what it
cost over there. They even showed, I've got some bills where they got repairs on airplanes and it's,
compared to today they're getting between forty-five and eighty-five dollars an hour, mechanics do
today, and over back then it was about two dollars an hour, you know, in the 50's.
I've got all of this, and I thumb through it a lot just to look back and I think about those people that
I was associated with back then and they kept the airport actually going. Without them I don't
know where the airport would have been really. We wouldn't have had a club, nobody would have
been out flying because of the old timers and they're all, all of them are gone I guess, but Harvard
now. He's in town now. I talked to him the other day, the other morning and we talked about the
airport and the old times. He still remembers a lot of it. He gets a little tangled up on some stuff,
but he still remembers a lot of stuff and people that we use to do, fly with. I don't know where some
of them are at today, but a lot of them bought old ex-military aircraft, the old single engine trainers,
the little ones, probably trainers, and we use to fly those things and we had to try to prop those old
things off. There at the end of the military, the steered ones, PT-19's and 23's, they didn't have
electrical systems either. Some of them had what we call the inertial starter. You took a crank and
you wound that thing up, the mechanic did, and then you got off that thing and took that handle out
and the pilot hit a button and it released it and it got. What you do is wind up the spring, spring
starter, and it would crank good, but if it didn't you did it again. I remember, I think about all those
old people all the time, but actually most of them are gone now, but they really kept things going
around here.

MIKE MONCUS: I'll ask you for one more comment, you know I'm a native LaGrange, Troup
County person, native LaGrange actually, person and you are too and so I like to ask people who
were born and raised here, and you know, you moved here basically when you were six, but that's,
you lived most all your life here, comment on growing up here, in LaGrange, Georgia.

GLENN MORROW: Uh. Huh. I think, I've always said, to me, this is the ideal area in Georgia, or
this town is. If you go further south you're getting into farming and the flat country. You go north,
you're getting into a mountain and we're in, I think, the prettiest part. I think we've got a beautiful
area here, and LaGrange wasn't too small of a city and it wasn't too large to where you lost contact.
Everybody, when I grew up here, everybody knew everybody. I know when I was in high school
we had 24,000 population and they tell me today it's still 24. So all of these people, we graduate
hundreds a year, and they're going somewhere else. But I think LaGrange, you hear a lot about it,
you know a fine little city, and it is. We've had a lot of progress here. I think it's a very good town,
a good county to be raised up in. We've always had good facilities. Mr. Callaway furnished the
kids a pool and that was back years ago when we had segregation. And he went over on Daniel
Street, and built the colored people a pool. You know everything was segregated back then. He
built a lot of stuff. We had the "Y" over at Hillside, it use to be there, I'm sure you remember that
and we've had a lot of facilities here. I mean he controlled the industry when he [was] alive.
Before he sold out his mills, and he kept everything out, you had to work for Mr. Callaway if you
worked anywhere. He did a lot of good by building these things for the kids and for people and I
think the city and this whole area was very fortunate to have somebody to do something like that, to
give us that opportunity. I know in a lot of towns, I played music in a lot of towns, and man there's
nothing there for kids to do, to grow up. I don't know what they do, but we've had a lot of things to
do in this area here. I think it was a very nice area for me to grow up in anyway, I've certainly
enjoyed it and I've flown all over the country, all over the United States [and the] Bahamas. In two
weeks we'll be way down a hundred and something miles southeast of Nassau. We come in contact
with people from everywhere and I can't wait to get home.

MIKE MONCUS: (laugh) Well, Glenn Morrow I appreciate it, your time and the information that
you've given us has been a very good historical view of the growth of the airport and of your life in
LaGrange and Troup County. Thank you, sir.


Shared By: