Align your smile
Orthodontic treatment could help your teeth
and jaws look and function better.
Orthodontics is the diagnosis, prevention An orthodontic examination by your dentist Steady, gentle pressure is applied on each
and treatment of dental and facial or orthodontist at an early age may help tooth to carefully move it to the desired
irregularities. The goal of orthodontic to detect orthodontic problems, and if position. This is done using braces
treatment is to properly align the teeth, lips appropriate, treatment could be initiated (consisting of metal or clear brackets and
and jaws to create a balanced, pleasing to prevent more serious problems from wires) or removable appliances. During
facial appearance and ensure that the teeth developing. By taking advantage of facial the treatment, adjustments are periodically
and jaws are functioning normally. growth and tooth eruption the severity of made to control and maintain the pressure
the problem can be reduced. This can make required to continue the movement of the
A beautiful smile is just one of the completion of treatment at a later age teeth. How long does orthodontic treatment
the beneﬁts of orthodontic treatment less complicated and less costly. Results can take? No two orthodontic patients require
Straight teeth simply function better, are be achieved that would be unattainable if the exact same treatment. Treatment can
easier to clean, and provide for increased the face and jaw had ﬁnished growing take anywhere from six to thirty months
conﬁdence and self-esteem. A bad bite prior to treatment. or longer depending on the severity of the
(malocclusion) left untreated may contribute problem, the age of the patient, and the
to conditions that cause: Adult Orthodontics — you’re never amount of movement that is required.
• tooth decay too old to look your best
• gum disease People think that orthodontic treatment If you have any concerns,
• early loss of teeth is usually associated with adolescence. talk to your dentist
• mouth breathing But, today one in four orthodontic patients or orthodontist.
• jaw joint problems is an adult. Improving an adult’s smile and We care about you
• fracture or loss of protruding teeth bite depends on the health of the teeth, and your teeth.
• jaws and teeth that do not meet properly gums, and supporting bone, not age. The
during chewing and swallowing biologic process involved in tooth movement
• improper speech development is the same in adults and children. There are
• poor self-image some changes that cannot be achieved with
braces alone because the facial bones in
Some malocclusions can be adults have ﬁnished growing. In many
treated by your dentist, others such cases a combined approach of
may require treatment by surgery and orthodontics can lead to very
an orthodontic specialist. dramatic improvements.
How does orthodontic
Early prevention treatment work?
This information courtesy of your Manitoba Dentist