SCOTTS VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Title and Classification: SCHOOL REGISTRAR
Department/Office: School Office
Terms of Employment: 8 hours daily/11 month
Full time (August through June)
Supervisor: Site Administrators
Salary Range: 25
Job descriptions are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed
by employees in the position and are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the
Under the direction of the site administrator(s), prepare responsible and comprehensive work in
maintaining accurate student records and registering and withdrawing students according to
established procedures at the high school; various secretarial and clerical tasks as assigned.
Work schedule shall encompass regular school hours and individual clerical staff may have staggered
start and end times to provide for coverage before and beyond the instructional day. Schedules will
be arranged by administration.
· Enroll new students and obtain and maintain a variety of student records such as grades,
transcripts, immunization records, cumulative folders and all general student data.
· Coordinate student check-out procedures to include initiating drop slip forms and recording
· Maintain accurate permanent student records and test scores; provide information to
counselors as requested.
· Prepare a variety of complex reports including State and District-mandated reports related
to assigned activities.
· Maintain current class lists, locator cards and grade lists for enrollment verification.
· Coordinate special files and billings with other high school departments.
· Communicate by phone and facsimile with other schools or outside agencies regarding
· Order commencement awards and diplomas; maintain related budgets.
· Assist administration in coordination of student recognition and related duties.
· Prepare, record and report student grades.
· Process information requested by armed services, U.S. Immigration Service, foreign
exchange programs and law enforcement agencies.
· Process senior transcripts for college entrance and scholarships.
· Develop, update and maintain forms for use in the Registrar's office; order and maintain
supplies for the office.
· Operate a computer and other office equipment as assigned; assist others in the proper use
of office machines as needed.
· Coordinate student data management system as it relates to job requirements.
· Assist in distribution, collection and coordination of testing materials.
· Coordinate high school summer school registration activities and materials.
· Administer first aid as necessary; contact parents or emergency personnel as needed;
administer prescription medication to students according to physician instructions.
· Perform various general secretarial and clerical duties; assist office staff as needed.
· Perform related duties as assigned for emergency procedures.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Curriculum and graduation requirements.
· Operation of a computer and assigned software.
· Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
· Applicable sections of State Education Code and other applicable laws.
· Basic statistical and record-keeping techniques.
· Data entry and report generation.
· Basic first aid techniques.
· Technical aspects of field of specialty.
· Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
· District policies and procedures.
· Prepare responsible and comprehensive work in maintaining accurate student records and
registering and dropping students according to established procedures.
· Interpret, apply and explain provisions of federal, State and District regulations related to
admissions and records.
· Plan and organize work.
· Work independently with little direction.
· Type at 50 words net per minute from clear copy.
· Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
· Maintain records and prepare reports.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Meet schedules and time lines.
· Administer basic first aid as needed.
· Project a cooperative, courteous and helpful attitude toward students, staff and the general
· Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with those contacted
during the performance of required duties, including school personnel, students, parents
and the community.
· Maintain regular attendance.
Experience and Education:
Completion of the 12th grade or equivalent with five years responsible secretarial/clerical experience,
preferably in a public school setting; public contact; basic accounting skills; experience with
computers and computer software is required.
· Office environment.
· Constant interruptions.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone and to make
presentations; seeing to conduct inspections, read, prepare and proofread documents; sitting or
standing for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer
keyboard and other equipment; kneeling, bending at the waist and reaching overhead, above the
shoulders and horizontally to retrieve and store supplies, lifting heavy objects up to 50 pounds.
Board Approved 2/28/06