Scientific Writing in
Software Engineering and
Experimental Computer Science
Writing papers / theses is a skill. It can be learned! (not
sure it can be taught…)
– Tools of the trade: LaTeX, BibTeX, etc.
– The structure of a paper
– The scientific sentence and paragraph
– Auxiliary components: tables, figures, theorems, definitions,
– M.Sc. Program in computer science
– Interest in software engineering and related topics
1. TeX, LaTeX and BibTex. Tools of the trade, and tricks of the gurus.
2. Elementary typography, fonts and simple checklists
3. Bibliography and references to bibliography
4. The Elements of style by White and Strunk, the Elements of Grammar
5. The sentence structure
6. Paragraph structure
8. Informative tables and figures
9. Formulae, definitions and theorems
10. Section structure and paper outline
11. The Introduction
12. Abstract and title.
13. Conclusions and future research.
14. Reviewing papers
Must attend 75% of all lectures
An account in SSDL
MikTeX / WinEdt installation