Department of Fire & Rescue
Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads
1305 Falling Creek Road
Bedford, Virginia 24523
Phone: 540.587.0700 Fax: 540.586.2176
February 26, 2008
Fire & Rescue Education Complex
A regular meeting of the Bedford County Rescue Association was held at the Fire & Rescue Education
Complex on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 1900 hours.
Present were as follows:
Bedford: Shannon Zimmerman, Hardy: Absent
Big Island: Rickey Wright, Debbie Smith Huddleston: Absent
Boonsboro: June Leffke, Terry Jefferson Moneta: John Singer, Michael Harper
Campbell County: Sandy Spencer Montvale: Vickie Elmore, Amy McRoberts
Chamblissburg: Absent Shady Grove: Absent
Goode: Vicki Lantrip Stewartsville: Richard Downey, Alvin Gable
Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Dr. Cohen, Seth Mowles, Janet Blankenship, Shelley Tillman,
Bedford Communications: Jeff Johnson
Carilion Bedford Memorial: Dana Thompson, R.N.
• Meeting called to order at 7:10p.m. by President Richard Downey
• Dana Thompson, R.N. from Bedford Memorial Hospital was a guest speaker. She spoke on the
bridge between EMS providers and the ER staff. Reports prior to arrival to the ER are very
important, the more of a heads up you can give the staff the more prepared they can be when
you get the patient there. It does help the ER staff to know whether your crew is ALS or BLS
staffed, so they know what kinds of treatment the patient has received prior to arrival. If there is
anything that the crews would like to see or have information on from BMH, please get in
contact with Dana and she would be glad to help out. Also keep in mind there is an ambulance
only dedicated line to the ER, it is 540.587.3401. This is to only be used when calling in patient
• Old minutes were reviewed, discussed. Motion made by Shannon Zimmerman to accept &
Rickey Wright 2nd all others in attendance in favor.
• Richard reminded everyone of the Leadership Class with Randy Krantz that is coming up. The
Leadership I class will be held March 22, 2008 at 8:30 a.m. and the Leadership II class will be
held April 19 at 8:30 a.m. they will both be held at the Bedford Lifesaving Crew.
• Beginning at the next regular meeting we will have a discussion on “New Squad Business”. This
will give each crew a chance to go over everything that is going on with their squad. For example,
if you have a new ambulance on order, the next ham dinner coming up, any training etc.
• Alvin Gable would like to see a paid ALS Quick Response Vehicle. His suggestion would be to
have it staffed from 6 p.m. – 6 a.m. or 9 p.m. – 6 a.m. This would help with the number of
calls being turned over in the night time hours.
• When transporting (especially to RMH) MI & CVA patients should we try to introduce a new
BREMS protocol on blood draws? Some ER’s are beginning to want labs drawn by the time. It
needs to be decided whether or not we are going to do labs during transport or not.
• The Treasurer’s Report was motioned by Vickie Lantrip and 2nd by June Leffke and all others
were in favor.
• Janet wanted to remind everyone that all awards ceremony nominations are due to the Fire &
Rescue Office no later then March 31, 2008.
• The Skywarn Class is being held again this year on March 20, 2008 at 6:00 p.m. at the CVCC
• The Mass Fatalities Class the was scheduled to be held on February 28, 2008 has been cancelled.
• The DMV rotation had begun, just a reminder that all volunteers driving ANY apparatus must
have a DMV check done.
• Beginning in 2008 the Counties First Responders will be required to attend the Skills Review
(Co. 1, 8, 5, & 13)
• BCoFR is hosting a Heart Alert class with Dr. Franz on March 10, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. at the
CVCC Bedford Campus.
• The entire year of 2007 QA forms need to be turned in prior to the next meeting. Everything
must be turned into June Leffke no later than April 1, 2008. She needs this time to compile the
reports to be ready for the June inspection.
• The Leadership I & II class taught by Randy Krantz is being held at Bedford Lifesaving Crew on
March 26 (Leadership I) & April 19 (Leadership II) both classes begin at 8:30 a.m.
The next meeting will be held on March 18, 2008 at the CVCC Bedford Campus 7:00 p.m.
Adjournment: Shannon Zimmerman motioned & Mike Harper 2nd adjournment @ 8:20 p.m.