SMYTH COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
November 10, 2004 12:00 NOON
Call the meeting to order.
Invocation to be led by Rev. Jeff Lambert of the First United Methodist
Church of Marion.
Pledge of allegiance to be led by Mrs. Diane Spence, Information
Request the Board adopt the agenda as to form.
Request the Board approve the minutes of
October 12, 2004 meeting (pg. 7-17).
-Beth Layell will speak concerning leash laws in the County.
-Nellie Olinger will speak concerning Pleasant Heights water project.
General County $
Animal Damage (expenses)
Department of Social Services (November 10-30, 2004) $
300,000.00 (December 1-14, 2004)
Schools Operating Fund
Textbook Fund $
Request the Board approve the accounts payable listing in the amount of
1:00 HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
-Six-Year Plan (pg. 18-21).
1. Request the Board approve the following additional holiday time (State employees will receive the
following additional time):
Wednesday, November 24, 2004 – 4 additional hours
Thursday, December 23, 2004 – 4 additional hours
Friday, December 31, 2004 – 8 additional hours
2. Request approval to pay employees early in the month of December due to the Holidays. Requested date
is December 22, 2004.
3. Request the Board approve a written request to VDOT requesting “Children at Play” signs be installed on
Sunset Drive in Chilhowie. The cost of the signs will be charged to the County’s secondary roads budget. This
request comes from a citizen that lives on the street and the traffic is heavy (Ed Whitmore).
4. Request the Board approve and appropriate payment of the following Damage Claims as recommended by
the Damage Stamp Committee (Charlie Clark, Committee Chairman):
Regina Osborne (beehives) $40.00
Charlie Conner (pumpkins) $600.00
Joel Pugh (pumpkins) $150.00
Fredrick Lowe (pumpkins) $1,500.00
Samuel Akers (steer) $300.00
Bryan Jones (beans) $600.00
5. Request the Board approve the disbursement of the FY2004 Two-For-Life funds (pg. 22, Shannon
6. Request the Board forward recommendations
to the circuit court judge for Board of Zoning
appeals appointment (pg. 23).
7. Request the Board adopt a resolution authorizing the Section 125
“cafeteria plan,” plan has been effective since 1988, (Charlie Atkins, pg.
8. Request the Board adopt a resolution in support of calling on the
Governor and General Assembly to address the urgent funding and
staffing deficit in the Virginia State Park system in the upcoming legislative
session (Ed Whitmore, pg. 26-28).
9. Request the Board approve the draft for the Smyth County Emergency
Operations Plan (pg. 29, plan was included in your packet on a CD, Ed
10. The planning Commission conducted a public hearing on October 28,
2004. After the public hearing the Planning Commission recommended
the following text amendment to the Board for consideration:
In all districts, add to the list of “Uses Permitted with a Special Use
Permit” the following: Accessory buildings above one hundred fifty
(150) square feet in size, without a main principle building.
1. Matter of collection of delinquent taxes (Mr. Whitmore has contacted the
2. Request from Nebo Community Center Board to become owners of the
old Nebo School either by lease or donation (Building and Grounds
3. Ken Heath’s request concerning establishment of local tax abatement
4. East County Spring Source Study (8-1-03).
5. Green Hill/Shuler Hollow Sewer Project complaints (Water/Sewer
Committee): to be addressed at 4:00pm
• Bob Mason’s request concerning road repairs on a privately owned
• Roger Blevins of Needmore Road, needs road repaired back to the
way it was before the project.
• Stephen Lewis of Green Hill Circle – damage to home due to blasting.
• Rhonda Taylor of Green Hill Circle – damage to home due to blasting.
• Bruce Blevins of Shuler Hollow Road – road needs repairing and
bushes have been removed. The Water and Sewer Committee has
also requested that the Board review an estimate for a culvert on Mr.
• J.B. Haga of Shuler Hollow Road – repairs are need on the property.
6. Draft revisions for Zoning Ordinance referred back to Planning
Commission for study and recommendation (2-1-04).
7. Request concerning 911 contracts with the towns (911 Committee, 2-1-
8. Marevine Slemp, request for water service on Fox Valley Road (5-11-04).
9. The Water and Sewer Committee has requested the full Board review
discuss the estimate for the culvert on Shannon Gap Road.
10. The water purchase price adjustment with the Town of Saltville. The
agreement will need to be approved by the Board (Scott Simpson).
11. The Building and Grounds Committee recommends that up to
spent on remodeling the outside of the old school board building.
12. Request the Board to waive tipping fees for the Town of Marion on
homes they are tearing down.
13. Approval of the retainer contract agreement for Thompson & Litton.
14. Request for tax exempt status for the Smyth County Community
Foundation (pg. 30).
15. Courthouse Renovation.
1:30 Jay Moore of Mosley Architects on the Courthouse renovation.
3:00 Paul Grosskopf of Duke energy.
3:15 Public Hearing to vacate public alleyway.
3:30 Public Hearing on Enterprise Zone changes.
3:45 David Duncan of Keystone Youth Center will update the Board.
4:00 Jeff Campbell will make a recommendation to the Board on concluding
the Green Hill/Shuler Hollow Sewer Project.
4:15 Scott Simpson – Project update
4:30 David Johnson, Wytheville Community College Director of Continuing Education, requests the Board adopt
a resolution for the Crossroads Rural Entrepreneurial Institute in support of State funding (pg. 31-32).
Request the Board enter into executive session to discuss disposition and
possible acquisition of real estate and prospective business or industry as
outlined in section 2.2-3711 (A) (3) and (5) of the Code of Virginia, as amended.
Request the Board continue the meeting for a joint public hearing with the
Planning Commission on Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 7:00PM.