; plAnts
Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>



  • pg 1
									                     Importation of plants

                                    PLANTS                                                         INVASIVE SPECIES
                                                                                     Harmful, non-native plants and animals threaten
                                                                                     Oregon’s environment and agricultural, horticultural, and
                                                                                     forestry industries. They displace desirable species and
                           IMPORTATION OF PLANTS                                     cost Oregonians millions of dollars annually in control
                                                                                     treatments and lost productivity.
                     Who must comply?                                                The Oregon Invasive Species Council was created in 2002 to
                     Imported plants, fruits, vegetables, and some other products
                                                                                     •	 create and publicize a system for reporting sightings of
                     must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate issued
                                                                                        invasive species.
                     by the country of origin. All agricultural products must be
                                                                                     •	 undertake educational activities to increase awareness of
                     declared to the US Customs Service on arrival. Importers
                                                                                        invasive species issues.
                     or their brokers must arrange for an agricultural inspection.
                                                                                     •	 develop a statewide plan for dealing with invasive
                     Any necessary treatments, such as fumigation, must be
                     accomplished at the importers expense and conducted
                                                                                     •	 administer a trust account for funding eradication and
                     under the supervision of a USDA inspector.
                                                                                        education projects.
                     Permits                                                         More information on the council and it’s activities is
                     For import permits contact the USDA APHIS Plant                 available at: http://oregon.gov/OISC.

                     Protection and Quarantine Division 503-326-2814.
                                                                                     Technical assistance
                     Quarantines                                                     Report potential new sightings
                     Quarantines regulating plant shipment into and within              Invasive Species hotline _______________ 1-866-INVADER
                                                                                        Web __________________ http://oregoninvasiveshotline.org
                     Oregon are available online at http://oregon.gov/ODA/

                     Record keeping                                                  NURSERY AND CHRISTMAS TREE
                     All imported plants and plant products must be identified           GROWER LICENSING
                     as to species and country of origin.
                                                                                     Who must comply?
                     Technical assistance
                                                                                     Any person who grows or sells nursery stock, rootstock,
                     US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE                                    fruit trees or ornamental plants in Oregon must obtain a
                       Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)            nursery license from the Oregon Department of Agriculture
                       Phone _______________________________ 503-326-2814            (ORS 571.055). Any person who grows Christmas trees in
                     OREGON DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE                                Oregon must obtain a Christmas tree grower’s license from
                       Plant Division                                                the Oregon Department of Agriculture, Plant Division
                       Phone _______________________________ 503-986-4636            (ORS 571.525).
                       Web __________________http://oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT             The Oregon Department of Agriculture provides nursery
                                                                                     licensing and inspection services to the wholesale and retail
                                                                                     nursery industry statewide, including rootstock for fruit and
                                                                                     ornamental plants. These services ensure that nursery stock
                                                                                     grown and sold in Oregon is free from pests and diseases.
                                                                                     The department also inspects Christmas trees to ensure
                                                                                     freedom from quarantine pests and diseases. Certificates
                                                                                     and permits required for the movement of nursery stock
                                                                                     and Christmas trees from growing location to marketplace
                                                                                     are issued by the department.
                                                                                     To participate in the fruit tree virus certification program,
                                                                                     or to find out more about soil fumigation requirements and
                                                                                     other disease-free certification practices, contact the Oregon
                                                                                     Department of Agriculture, Fruit Tree Virus Certification
                                                                                     Program at 503-986-4664.

                     B—184                                                       2009 Agripedia
                                                                                                     Protected native plants

Technical assistance                                               Definition
The Oregon Department of Agriculture provides shipping             Noxious weeds are defined, by the Oregon State Weed
information for intrastate, interstate, and international          Board, as exotic, non-indigenous species that are injurious
shipments of nursery stock and Christmas trees, and issues         to public health, agriculture, recreation, wildlife, or any
certificates and permits appropriate for such shipments.           public or private property.
Information regarding changes in shipping requirements,
pest and disease control information and quarantines are           Technical assistance
made available to licensees via direct mailings and industry       The Oregon Department of Agriculture Noxious Weed
publications.                                                      Control Program prioritizes weed species for control in
The department also provides pest and disease diagnostic           various regions of the state and provides technical assistance
services to assist in the prevention and elimination of plant      to the public on integrated weed management practices
pests and diseases for nursery stock and Christmas tree            and weed identification. The Oregon Department of
producers.                                                         Agriculture, through the Oregon State Weed Board, offers
                                                                   noxious weed control grants that protect or enhance fish
OREGON DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE                                   and wildlife habitat or overall watershed health.
  Plant Division
  635 Capitol St NE                                                OREGON DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
  Salem, OR 97301-2532                                               Noxious Weed Control Program
  Web __________________http://oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT                  Tim Butler ___________________________ 503-986-4625

  Nursery and Christmas tree licensing                               Fax _________________________________ 503-986-4786
  Gary McAninch _______________________ 503-986-4644                 Web __________ http://oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/WEEDS
                                                                     Invasive Species Hotline ______________ 1-866-INVADER
  Insect pest programs
  Dr. Helmuth Rogg _____________________ 503-986-4662
  Commodity Inspection Division, Plant health programs
  635 Capitol St NE                                                    PROTECTED NATIVE PLANTS
  Salem, OR 97301-2532
  Web _____http://oregon.gov/ODA/CID/PLANT_HEALTH
                                                                   Who must comply?
  Dr. Nancy Osterbauer ___________________ 503-986-4666
                                                                   Native plants listed as threatened or endangered by the
                                                                   State of Oregon are protected by law on nonfederal public
      OREGON NOXIOUS WEED                                          lands (ORS 564). There are no provisions to conserve state-
        CONTROL PROGRAM                                            listed plant species, or their habitat, on private property.
                                                                   Nevertheless, ODA encourages voluntary conservation of
The Oregon Department of Agriculture Noxious Weed                  native plants on private lands, and has historically served
Control Program provides leadership and technical expertise        an advisory role in such projects upon request by private
for integrated noxious weed control projects throughout            landowners. The only application of state threatened and
the state. This involves coordinating the noxious weed             endangered plant laws to private lands involves nursery
control efforts of federal, state, and county organizations as     activities where growers are engaged in commercial trade of
well as private landowners. The program also works on the          state-listed plants. Commercial trade of state-listed species
identification of high priority invasive noxious weeds and         is prohibited in Oregon, unless cultivated stock originated
makes recommendations to the Oregon State Weed Board               prior to the date of species’ listing and the grower receives
for listing. Weeds are designated by the board as; “A,” “B,”       a commercial use permit from ODA. Scientists, or others,
or “T,” which sets the priority for control. The department        wishing to engage in noncommercial activities with, or
also maintains a state noxious weed quarantine list (OAR           affecting, protected species must apply for a research
603-052-1200), which prohibits all listed plants from entry        permit. An overview of the Native Plant Conservation
into the state, transport within the state, sale or offering for   Program can be accessed from the ODA Web site
sale or propagation within the state.

                                                2009 Agripedia                                                         B—185
                     Protected native plants

                     Technical assistance
                     For questions about rules interpretation, the status of
                     specific native plants, advice for voluntary conservation
                     activities, and requests for commercial use or research
                     permits, or additional program information, contact
                       Native Plant Conservation Program
                       Dr. Robert Meinke
                       Department of Botany and Plant Pathology
                       Oregon State University
                       Corvallis, OR 97331-2902
                       Phone _______________________________ 541-737-2317
                       E-mail ________________ meinker@science.oregonstate.edu
                       Web __http://oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/CONSERVATION

                     B—186                                                       2009 Agripedia

To top