Lund University - PDF by akgame


									                                                                                                 Page 1 of 4

                                  Lund University

                                    2 full year or 4 one term positions

Location: Lund, Sweden

About the city: Lund is the second oldest city in Sweden, and was originally founded by
the Danes. It has a spectacular 12th century cathedral, and many other architecturally
impressive buildings. With nearly one third of its 95,000 residents being students, the
city remains very youthful despite its long history.

About the university: Lund University was founded in 1666. It is Scandinavia's largest
institution for education and research. Lund has eight faculties and a multitude of
research centers and specialized institutes. The University has 40,600 students and
5,500 employees. Lund University receives 1,700 exchange students and sends 1,000
abroad annually. The University has exchange agreements with more than 600
universities in more than 50 countries world-wide.

Mailing Address: Lund University, Box 117, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden



Produced by: International Programs Office, Faculty of Arts and Science, Queen’s University   December 2009
                                                                                                   Page 2 of 4

Academic Information
Language of Instruction: Swedish and English. Lund University offers more than 250
courses in English annually. These courses are primarily reserved for exchange students
and enrolment is normally open to students whose home university has exchange
agreements with Lund University.

Semester Dates:          Fall Semester                                            Spring Semester
                         1 September, 2010 – 18 January 2011                      19 January – 7 June 2011

The exact duration of the semesters may vary slightly from faculty to faculty, and also
from year to year depending on which weekday the official dates are that year. It is
therefore advisable to check for exact dates directly with the department(s) concerned.

Full Course Load per year/per semester: Academic achievement at Lund University (the
student workload) is measured according to the Swedish credit system. One Swedish
credit equals one week of full-time studies. Thus, after one semester of successful full-
time studies (passing the examinations) the student obtains 20 Swedish credits (or 30
ECTS credits).

Corresponding Queen’s Subjects:
In the past, students have received credits from the following fields of study:
    Classics                                        Biology
    Economics                                       Biochemistry
    English                                         Pharmacology and Toxicology
    Geology                                         Politics
    Geography                                       Religious Studies
    History                                         Sociology

Please note: Course requirements change from year to year and differ between
universities. To ensure that the course you are looking at is indeed the course you will
be taking refer to the course descriptions online and or contact the specific department
at the host university directly. Furthermore, although courses have been transferable in
the past it is imperative that you speak with your undergraduate chair regarding the
specific courses you wish to take BEFORE you apply.

Grading System: The most common form of examination is written tests, however, oral
tests, papers, presentations etc performed individually or in a group are also common
forms of examination. Cheating is strictly prohibited and not socially accepted. 80 %
presence in class and active participation in all class activities is expected for a pass.

Produced by: International Programs Office, Faculty of Arts and Science, Queen’s University     December 2009
                                                                                                      Page 3 of 4

General Information: The normal academic year is divided into two semesters of 20
weeks each. The autumn semester runs from early September to late January, and the
spring semester from late January to early June. There is a short break for Christmas.

The application deadlines for accommodation, the student mentor program, and the
orientation session are:

          May 20 for Fall semester                                  November 20 for Spring semester.

Please visit the How to Apply page at for more info.

Course Information: Details on courses available to international students can be seen
at Exchange Study Courses (

Application                            Fall Semester                            Spring Semester
Submission Dates:                      April 1st                                October 2nd

Travel and Residence Information
Accommodation: As a special service to our Exchange and Master Program students, we
cooperate with the International Housing Office that manages a limited number of
rooms. There has been an unprecedented demand for these rooms in the past few years
and there is likely to be a shortage of them in the future. The International Housing
Office and the International Desk will do their very best to help you but they cannot
guarantee complete success for everyone. Please visit the Housing page for contact
information (

Cost: Costs will vary among students, however a guideline to prices in Sweden is
provided below. If you would like more information regarding costs, please visit

                   Expense                               Cost (SEK) per            Cost ($ CDN) per
                                                            month                       month
                   Food                                       2300                       350
                   Accommodation                           2500 – 3630                 390 – 510
                   Local travel                               500                         75
                   Telephone                                  300                         45
                   Insurance, medical care                    250                         40
                   and hygiene
                   Clothing, hobbies and                        450                           70

Produced by: International Programs Office, Faculty of Arts and Science, Queen’s University        December 2009
                                                                                                       Page 4 of 4

                   Student union fees                        60 – 70                          10
                   TOTAL                                   6360 – 7500                        980

*Please note: Current costs at the time of publication.*

Passport: Required. For more information, see ‘Canadian Passports’ at

Visas: If you are intending to stay in Sweden for less than three months, then all you
need is a visa. You can apply for visas and permits at the Swedish embassy or consulate
in your home country.

Residence permits: If your studies in Sweden will take longer than three months, you
need to acquire a residence permit before you arrive in Sweden. Permits are issued by
the Swedish Migration Board (
website has detailed advice.

Please remember that you cannot apply for a residence permit unless you have been
admitted to full time accredited university studies in Sweden. The application fee, which
is not refundable, is SEK 1,000 (approx. $145 CAD).

Health Insurance: If you have a residence permit valid for a period of less than a year,
then you are not able to register at the local tax office, and you do not have automatic
access to health care. Sweden has reciprocal agreements for public medical benefits
with some countries; however, to find out whether your country has such an
agreement, you should contact your local social insurance office.

Students who are not covered by any of these agreements must arrange their own
insurance coverage. In Sweden, medical treatment is very expensive without any form
of insurance; you should either purchase it in your home country, or else check with
your student union. It may have a special agreement with an insurance company.

For more information, please visit the Study in Sweden Medical Insurance and Health

Property Insurance: Remember to get insurance for your accommodation. It is much
cheaper than having to pay for the damage by burglars or if something of yours is
stolen. There are many insurance companies that have low rates for students.

Produced by: International Programs Office, Faculty of Arts and Science, Queen’s University         December 2009

To top