ENGLISH LACROSSE ASSOCIATION LTD
MEN'S PLAYING COMMITTEE
Minutes of the ELA Men's Playing Committee meeting held on Tuesday 11 th September 2007at ELA Office at 7.30pm
Present: Alan Holdsworth - Chairman
Ron Balls, Alan Boyle, Neil Crosby, Ken Haves, E. Hodgson, Ravi Sitlani, David Shuttleworth and John
Sharples (standing in for Paul Fildes)
Audio: John Maynard and A. Fernando
1. Apologies for Absence
Apologies for Absence were received from M. Aspinal, A. Bryant, G. Caplin and P. Coups
2. Confirm Agenda
Confirmed with the addition of the Counties (16)
3. Minutes of last Meeting (22.05.07)
4. Matters Arising from last meeting (not covered by Agenda items)
5. Committee Chair Appointments/Confirmation of Representatives
List of Appointments had been circulated prior to the meeting.
Officers elected at MPC AGM
Committee Chairs – appointed , but confirmation of Juniors and Referees & Rules to be confirmed as Brian Costello
and Peter McGinnety respectively. Action: RB
League Representatives – confirmed as A. Bryant (NL) J.Maynard and A. Fernandez (LS)
Territorial Representatives – confirmed as P. Fileds (Cheshire), A. Bryant (Lancashire) A. Fernandez (South)
N. Crosby (Yorkshire) Mike Aspinall to be confirmed as Universities Representative.
6. MPC Finance
2006/07 Debtors List of debtors had been distributed prior to meeting
J.M to contact southern Clubs Action: JM
DS dealing with Spencer and Universities Action: DS
RB distributed and explained expected funds and expenditure.
Territorial Allocations: It was agreed to increase the Territorial Allocations to Cheshire, Lancashire and Yorkshire
from £180. to £200.
It was agreed to increase the budget for U'19 pitches from £1,900 to £2,200
WC 2006: National Squads should not need any finance initially, but two players had still not paid what they owed.
After discussion it was agreed to defer the decision on action to be taken to the next meeting. Action: GC
WILC 2007: The England team had come 4th in the World Indoor Lacrosse Championships and one player reached the
All World Team, congratulations were expressed to the players and the professional way the management had organised
the squad. Copy of the Team finances had been distributed.
It was agreed that MPC would cover the advised shortfall of £1,462.74
Programme Allocations: Initial allocation to Universities of £2,000 for coaches and referees.
Three areas of importance this year: Under 19 squad, Europeans and Universities.
7. Updates from recent ELA Exec Meetings
Overall staff structure/appointments: Table showing new structure had been distributed prior to the meeting.. Some
positions still to be filled.
Club Development – D. Coldwell, Development Programme HR – Karen Hughes, Education and Skills- P. Coups.
Budgeting for new appointments in regional areas has been discussed and to be included in the 3yr plan to Sport
Congratulations to Women's Under 19 who came 3 rd in World Championships
8. Iroquios Cup/Wilkinson Sword
Notes on National Club Competitions had been distributed prior to the meeting.
Iroquois Cup had by won by Waconians (by default)
Wilkinson Sword had been won by Hitchin.
All agreed that the competitions should continue and that certain penalties should be imposed on defaulting teams as
well as conceding the game.
Iroquois Cup (Flags Competition) if a team defaults in 2008 it would be barred from entering the relevant Flags
competition for season 2008/09
Wilkinson Sword (League Winners) the appropriate penalty defaulting team in 2008 would be a points deduction with
effect from the commencement of the 2008/09 season.
Both suggestions were agreed unanimously with a 5 point penalty for the defaulting team in the Wilkinson Sword.
The above to go forward to the Forum Meeting in October. Action: RB/AB
Wilkinson Sword (North Venue) on Sunday May 11 th 2008
Iroquios Cup (South Venue) Saturday May 17 th 2008
It was agreed that explanation of the history and publicity of these two competitions should be included
in issue of LacrosseTalk as it was felt that many players were unaware of their importance. Action: DS
9. University Strategy
BUSA briefed to run Men's League for 2008/09 on Wednesday and Saturday in North and South. AF felt that this
could conflict with Mixed Lacrosse. Formal Structure was needed.
10. Individual Member Benefits
These had been circulated prior to the meeting.
It was felt that referees should be members, for insurance purposes, if not affiliated to a Club.
Details to be placed on website: Action: DS
11. Referees Assessment Procedure – Club Observations
Copy of above had been circulated prior to the meeting. There appeared to be no process for a complaint by a player
for physical abuse by referee.
Suggestions to be formalised with PMcG. ActionRB/PMcG
12. League North/League South Boundary – 2007/08
Question raised by a midlands club that was unable to enter the Southern Flags Competition.
Traditionally North/South divided roughly at Rugby, but JM suggested that each request should be taken on merit
Decisions to be made by NEMA and SEMLA. Action: JM/AB
13. Ground Safety
Requirement by Clubs to provide a Risk Assessment on Grounds by 27 th September 2007. Referees could refuse to
officiate if not Assessed.
14. Development Update
More teams registered this season. Totals of 51 in the South and 80 in the North, also more Junior teams.
15. Committee Reports
National Squads: Senior Men's Squad entered for Europeans in Finland 2008.
Strategy meeting for all National Squads with 5 year plan to 2012 to take place.
U'19 – new coaches appointed – T. Wenham, B. McAllister, S. Patterson, S. Wadell
D.Green, S. Flanagan
Squad of 34 to be reduced to 28/30 at Loughborough
Parents meeting planned for fundraising etc. as Vancouver expensive.
Under 16 player cannot play in any Senior game i.e. LDO scrimmage game or Uni. Game.
Junior & Schools: No report
Special Events: Holding monies at moment. Letters to be sent to new clubs in next month Action KH
Need to publicise all games.
Referees & Rules: No report
16. League Reports
League North: NC reported from recent meeting that NEMLA were to issue Team Cards. Captains of both
teams to list of players and then sign, also to be signed by match official to verify the score
and to be sent to NEMA Fixtures Secretary by home Captain. Failure to return the cards
could result in fine. Cards to be sent to Clubs by beginning of season. This procedure to
check that all players are registered with the ELA.
Usual dispensation for Take Out Rule for all divisions other than Premier, 2 nd and Under 19
It was agreed that ELA Playing Rule 65.6 is to be applied to all matches being oplayed by the
lowest registered teams of clubs, and only to those in divisions below Division 2.
Fines to be increased from £10.00 to £15.00.
League South: Report had been circulated prior to the meeting.
List of officers elected at the AGM
List of clubs accepted into the SEMLA leagues.
East division to be split into two divisions to accommodate extra teams
Points from September meeting:
Lack of paid ELA officials at SEMLA Flags and Bath 8's – DS confirmed there were
BUSA league- covered in item 9 of these Minutes.
Salaried post for South-west RDO – covered in Item 7of these Minutes
SEMLA wished not to encourage use of LDOs to represent South in British Nationals or
Counties. Would like agreement that no other regions will use LDOs. It was decided to as
Territorial Representatives to take it to their Committees Action: PF/AB/NC
Cheshire: 6-a-side to take place at Cheadle Hulme on Sunday 23 rd September.
Lancashire: Lancashire/Cheshire games: U'16and Seniors on 6 th April 2008 at Ashton
Yorkshire: No meeting this season.
ELF: AGM Report: Report had been circulated prior to the meeting.
ELF Championship Rules: Circulated prior to the meeting.
18. WC 2010 Update
Accommodation, Festival and Main event to be held at The Firs and Manchester Grammar School.
13 pitches in total.
City Council supportive of the event.
Sweet Chariot appointed for travel arrangements.
19. Other Relevant Business
Accreditation: List of Accredited Clubs distributed. Territories to ask Clubs not Accredited to suggest dates by which
it will be achieved. Action: PF/AB/NC
MPC to monitor progress at each meeting.
There being no other business the meeting closed at 10.00.
Next Meeting: Tuesday 20th November 2007 at 7.30 to be held at ELA Head Office.